Start by marking “A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee: (Read Aloud Books, Series Books for Kids, Books for Early Readers)” as Want to Read:

A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee:

(Mr. Magee)

The second book in the much-loved Mr. Magee series

A new adventure with Mr. Magee and his dog, Dee: In A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee, Mr. Magee and his trusty dog, Dee, are enjoying a peaceful camping trip when along comes a lumbering, marshmallow-loving bear and the excitement begins. The next thing the two campers know, they are plunging down a mountain, racing down a river,/>A
Published March 1st 2003 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee

Start your review of A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee: (Read Aloud Books, Series Books for Kids, Books for Early Readers)
Christine
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Van Dusen is becoming a firm favorite at my house. While still a picture book, I'm enjoying reading aloud slightly longer stories like this one and it's always exciting to find one that holds my 4-year old's attention
Colleen Tillett
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute

A quick read, but cute. I can see myself reading this to my grandchildren. I would recommend this, especially to children who camp.
Mary Ann
a very fun camping book - told in great rhymes that remind me very much of Dr. Seuss. here's a sample:
"As the embers went out, they felt tired and dozy,
So they climbed in their bunk beds, all comfy and cozy.
But while they were falling asleep without care,
Along came a stumbling, bumbling bear.
A kindly old bear whose sight wasn't so clear
(He couldn't see far and he couldn't see near.)
But he could smell marshmallows, sticky and sweet.
This smell made h
Meredith Estes
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chris Van Dusen is one of my favorite illustrator. His Mr. Magee series is very fun. This one, about a camping trip where the trailer and car become unhitched is another fun one. I highly recommend anything by Mr. Van Dusen.
Jennifer Niles
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: TumbleBooks- A Camping Spree for Mr. Magee

Copyright date: 2003-paperback edition

Estimate of age level of interest: K-3

Estimate of reading level: 3

Brief description: An online, animated story book about Mr. Magee’s adventures camping with his dog, Dee.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book.
E-books and online apps should be used to enhance th
Sara Mangan
Mr. Magee and his little dog Dee go on a camping trip. They have quite an adventure on this trip. They end up spending the night in their own backyard.

Picture book- This book uses text and illustrations to deliver a message.

Writing Traits:
1-Sentence-fluency- The author uses rhyming words in this book which makes them flow off the tongue. It is the type of book you can read over and over and never get tired of. It would be a good way to show students how to write a s
Adia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had really great illustrations that sold me the minute I opened the book. This book tells the story of a man and his dog taking a camping trip. While on this trip the two were in the presence of a hungry bear that caused great troubles. When the trip was over the two found that they loved just camping in their backyard instead.
This book would be great in the classroom during a unit teaching sequential order. The book have enough events that they could create a timeline of them as an
Becky B
Mr. Magee and his dog Dee decide to go camping for some peace, quiet, and rest. But when a bear with poor sight stumbles into their camp in search of delicious marshmallows things get a bit exciting.

Wowsers, this was one wild adventure! But who can blame the bear? Marshmallows are yummy, and in the end that's also what gets Mr. Magee and Dee out of the mess so marshmallow love saves the day too. I again like the retro Maine setting, and that the milkman's truck seems to make a subtle
Erin
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love all the rhyming. Mr. Magee and his dog, Dee, go on a camping trip. They enjoy themselves and head to bed. Then a bear smells their marshmallows and chaos ensues. The camper almost goes down a 50 foot waterfall, but the bear thinks the hitch is a marshmallow, so he grabs it and pulls it to shore before realizing it was a dirty, less-than-tasty, hitch instead. When he spits it out, the camper rolls down the hill and lands in the bushes near Mr. Magee's car. They decided to go home and camp ...more
Chris
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, maine
Perhaps I love this VanDusen as much as Circus Ship (which has been my all-time favorite for the past couple of years). Great, funny story, rhyming BRILLIANTLY, with just the coolest illustrations ever. SO Maine! I couldn't love a picture book More! Full of Adventure and humor, a bear, trying to get at the yummy marshmallows, disconnects the camping trailer from the car and down the hill the camper plunders ... into the river and towards a waterfall!
Stefanie Burns
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute rhyming text about Mr. Magee who takes his dog, Dee, with him on a camping trip. The text is all rhyming and the illustrations are bright and cheerful, almost cartoon-esque. I enjoyed the story and think it's great for Pre-K to 1st, especially, to hear the rhyming text. Maybe not an essential text for a library, but an good additional selection.

I read an ebook version and on some pages the text broke in spots not conducive to the rhyming.
Karla Cook
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations in this cute picture book! The story itself was silly... not particularly funny, just silly, and the rhymes weren't great. Little kids wouldn't notice or care, and would probably enjoy the story. I would give it 3 stars for the story and 5 for the illustrations... so 4 overall.
Relyn
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Chris Van D.
This was one of the first purchases I ever made when I became an elementary school librarian. For my lessons, I like to do author studies. We did Chris Van Dusen as a featured author in first and second grade. The students always love Chris' over the top situations, excellent illustrations, and funny rhymes.
Misbah
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, animal
Mr Magee and his dog Dee go on a campy trick and their adventure takes a crazy turn when they almost go over a waterfall because of a bear.
When they get back home safely, they decide to camp in the backyard from now on.

Adorable illustrations.
Cynthia
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reader, camping
Fun and cheery rhyming story about a camping trip gone awry: all because of a bear! Chris Van Dusen's illustrations are vibrant and classic and worth pouring over again and again. This one is a staple on camping book lists.
Mr. Magee has quite the knack for finding trouble. This time his adventure includes a bear, a river, a camper, and of course his trusty dog, Dee. What's not to love? All in those lovable, colorful, retro, 60's illustrations.
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A patron recommended that we read this out loud to every preschool student, but it's actually a bit long for storytime here since we do ages birth - five. Rhyming, very cute, and I have a case of camper envy.
Aubrey Cushman
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-ed-340, poetry
This book was an engaging story written as a poem about a man who went camping with his dog. It was so cute and fun to read. I loved the way it was written and how the problem of the story was so correlated with some fears we may have. It was definitely a favorite.
Pam
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Camping adventure told in rhyme. Mr. Magee and his dog enjoy a peaceful evening camping on a hill. A bear comes along and accidentally releases the camper hitch setting off quite the adventurous finish to the day. Illustrations are brightly colored and bring the text to life.
Jen
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid story about a camping trip gone awry.

Personally, I would like to book an Airbnb at Mr Magee’s permanent home with that porch and that view.
Perry
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny rhyme and lovely illustrations to boot!
Chris
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So adorable!

Bought the hardcover version and got the Kindle version at a discount. Absolutely adorable! Can't wait to read it with the toddlers in my life :)

Shelley
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Totally great read aloud as Mr. McGee and his dog try a camping trip to the mountains.
Lynne Marie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great example of rhyme where the story moves forward LOL
Michelle Okerlund
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
My Storytime kids loved this book! Mr. Magee's eventful camping trip brought on gasps and giggles from kids and parents alike.
Sue Slade
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An awesome, fun summer read!!! My son & I loved it so much we read it several times!!! The perfect read for on a camping trip or a backyard campout.
Rebekah Johnson
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent illustrations!
Wendy Cushing
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful story!

This unique story was so delightful! I loved the rhyming effect and the beautiful, colorful images! Any child would love to have this book read to them.
Emily Geilman
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picture Book - EL ED 340
Fun story about camping. Can be used to teach plot, setting, and characters.
Danette
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect after a trip to Yosemite. Lots of fun rhymes.
Read with Naomi, Julia, Micah, and Skylar for our Summer Book Club.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Little Yellow Leaf
  • Curious George Goes Camping
  • The Apple Pie That Papa Baked
  • Possum and the Summer Storm
  • Everything You Need For a Treehouse
  • Pie Is for Sharing
  • Jabari Jumps
  • Apples to Oregon: Being the (Slightly) True Narrative of How a Brave Pioneer Father Brought Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Grapes, and Cherries (and Children) Across the Plains
  • Mossy
  • Hair Love
  • The Little Guys
  • Five Little Pumpkins
  • Rosie Revere, Engineer
Chris Van Dusen writes: “I was born in Portland, Maine, on St. Patrick’s Day, 1960. As a child, my brothers and I would spend hours drawing pictures. We didn’t have video games or computers to entertain us, so we drew instead. One of my brothers would sketch intricate war scenes. Another would draw animals so realistic you’d swear they were breathing. My specialty was aliens, robots, and monsters. ...more

Mr. Magee (3 books)
  • Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee: (Kids Book Series, Early Reader Books, Best Selling Kids Books)
  • Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee: (Read Aloud Books, Series Books for Kids, Books for Early Readers)
“wonderful feature of all Was” 0 likes