Start by marking “Mating Intelligence Unleashed: The Role of the Mind in Sex, Dating, and Love” as Want to Read:
Mating Intelligence Unleashed: The Role of the Mind in Sex, Dating, and Love

Mating Intelligence Unleashed: The Role of the Mind in Sex, Dating, and Love

Psychologists often paint a picture of human mating as visceral, instinctual. But that's not the whole story. In courtship and display, sexual competition and rivalry, we are also guided by what Glenn Geher and Scott Barry Kaufman call Mating Intelligence--a range of mental abilities that have evolved to help us find the right partner. Mating Intelligence is at work in our ...more
Published January 30th 2013 by OUP Us (first published December 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mating Intelligence Unleashed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mating Intelligence Unleashed

Start your review of Mating Intelligence Unleashed: The Role of the Mind in Sex, Dating, and Love
Carolyn
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of intriguing research on the social psychology of how people interact and why we behave as we do. Also shines a light on how little we may understand of the underlying motivators guiding much of our daily lives — signs and signals that extend beyond dating and mating to permeate most every aspect of interpersonal relationships.
Yanick Punter
I enjoyed this and some of the information is highly interesting. There is also a lot of research yet to be done, of which I am looking forward to.

What did bother me is that in some parts I really wondered about the science. It has taken me some time from when I started my interest in psychology to be fully convinced about IQ and the Big Five Personality, but I accept them. Of some concepts presented in this book I am (still) highly skeptical. These include concepts such as the distinction betwe
Skyqueen
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is new territory on who we are as a species and how we really are more like animals than you expect for the simple fact of evolution and propagation of the species according to Darwin. Amazing info that is being tested to be added to high school sex education programs as a means of bettering our society through several avenues including violence, finances, birth rates, and others you don't readily associate with us as sexual beings. Very thought provoking as a race and individually.
Jake J
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read that delves into the science of sex, or at least sexual attraction. Very well researched, scientifically, well reasoned as it does explore multiple takes and well written - I could understand and enjoy it as a layman.
David
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Henry Barry
A scientific presentation of mating intelligence, which is a new concept in evolutionary biology in a similar vein to emotional intelligence, or social intelligence. Uses meta-studies and brings the world up to date on mating intelligence, and how it can change the world. Fascinating explanation of both gender's preferences, and gives a new, fresh perspective on the same old evolutionary biological issues.
Alicia Fox
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Read

I've read better books on evolutionary psychology, but not much on the dating side of things. Plus, it includes a test. Watch out, Cosmo. (I got 16 out of 24. The average is 10.5. Yay me.)
Neftalí
Intelligence is an evolutionary tool, sexual selection has contributed to "enhance" the species survival mechanisms. Evolutionary psychology is an interesting approach to our modern "problems" at mating and etc.
Norman Chuo
May 12, 2015
Lisa Ramtzen
Aug 11, 2017
Georgina Mackenzie
rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2016

• A Handbook of Traditional Living
  • Knowledge: A Very Short Introduction
  • Racial Realities in Europe
  • Power of Awareness: New Edition Incorporating Neville's Later Notes
  • Making of an Economic Superpower, The: Unlocking China's Secret of Rapid Industrialization
  • Evil Geniuses: The Unmaking of America: A Recent History
  • The Gnostic Bible
  • This Is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life
  • 文学回忆录
  • Die Gesetze der Gewinner
  • Де немає Бога
  • More Fool Me (Memoir #3)
  • Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Joy
  • The Science of Kissing: What Our Lips Are Telling Us
  • The Paleo Manifesto: Ancient Wisdom for Lifelong Health
  • The 48 Laws of Power

News & Interviews

“A wise man once told me, “As a man, you have to die once in order to live.” I never fully appreciated his advice, nor did I understand it until I experienced it firsthand. From that time on, I understood the origins of the Jerk vs. Nice Guy battle. Readers may be asking themselves, “What in the world is this guy talking about?” Well, I’m referring to the widely known fact that women habitually date men that are jerks while the “nice” guys are often left twiddling their thumbs in solitaire. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Figuratively speaking, in order for a man to enjoy the company of women and be able to seduce them, his inner nice guy must first die through heartache. It is at this point that his inner bad boy surfaces and goes on the prowl.” 7 likes
“Recent research suggests that while both men and women say they like a “good sense of humor” in a potential mate, they differ in what they mean by this phrase. Women tend to prefer men who make them laugh, whereas men tend to prefer women who laugh at their jokes.” 2 likes