Start by marking “Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)” as Want to Read:
Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)

Death Walked In

(Death On Demand #18)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  996 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews

Max Darling hasn't been interested in crime since his brush with a seductive young woman put him in danger of losing his freedom. He even refuses to talk to a woman who calls for help and says she is afraid. The caller leaves word she's hidden something in the antebellum house Max and his wife, Annie, are restoring. When Annie finds out, she hurries to the woman's home, o

Hardcover, First edition, 295 pages
Published March 25th 2008 by William Morrow (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Death Walked In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Walked In

Mary
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another fun read by Carolyn Hart. Love the ditzy characters of Annie and Max friends, the bookshop Death on Demand, the two cats, nice Dorothy L, the white Persian, and Agatha, the surely black bookstore cat! Max and Annie, as usual find themselves in the middle of a murder and the perp needs to find his stolen goods hidden in their new, old house to be. Good read.
Madelyn Flammia
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is not my favorite Death on Demand book, but they are all enjoyable well-written mysteries.
Rebecca
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Max and Annie Darling live on Broward's Rock, off the Carolina coast, where they routinely get involved in murder mysteries--through no fault of their own, of course! This time, in response to a message that Max ignored, Annie finds herself at the side of a dying woman who claims to have hidden some stolen gold coins in the old house Max and Annie are restoring. Of course she dies before she can reveal the hiding place, but does reveal that the thief, whom she saw burying the coins, came from th ...more
Michele
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series never gets old!
Rachelle Ayala
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Annie and Max, but if you're a seasoned mystery reader, you can pretty much figure it out based on their "blind spots" or anyone the author has the characters implicitly trust. In any case, it was enjoyable, and of course Annie is always the damsel in distress and you just know she'll get into trouble, but that all will turn out okay.

One thing that kept bothering me is why the police didn't take over the search for the coins since they are evidence for a murder.
Bettina Thomas
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
As usual, a light and easy read. I love Annie and Max and thoroughly enjoy the wonderful relationship that they have. I guessed who the murderer was right at the beginning (probably just a lucky guess) but enjoyed the story anyway. I was just a little curious as to why the police never did a search of the Franklin House to find the coins?
Kellene
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book more than I did the last one of this series that I read. It was nice to finally see Max break out of his "I don't want to get involved" attitude, and Annie was her usual go-getter self. I did miss Laurel and Henny's presence (not Emma's however). It's a fun series and usually enjoyable, and one that I intend to continue.
Wendy
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I still love this series...but the mystery was pretty easy to figure out. Also not quite sure why Annie keeps Agatha.... :)
Clare
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I usually enjoy Hart's books, but this one seemed lackluster. Overly long and slow moving, it also seemed to lack the sweet dynamic between Annie and Max.
Val
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Death on Demand mystery. This time Max refuses to take on a case and regrets doing so when the woman asking for help is found murdered.
Ranette
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I nice mystery neatly wrapped up in the last pages.
Kate
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
"Max Darling hasn't been interested in crime since his brush with a seductive young woman put him in danger of losing his freedom. He even refuses to talk to a woman who calls for help and says she is afraid. The caller leaves word she's hidden something in the antebellum house Max and his wife, Annie, are restoring. When Annie finds out, she hurries to the woman's house, only to discover her shot. Annie hears her final whisper as she hold the dying woman's hand.

"Evidence links the dead woman to
FangirlNation
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After nearly being sent to prison for murder in Dead Days of Summer , Max Darling is afraid to take on new cases, so he refuses to take a call from a distraught young woman, with disastrous consequences, in Carolyn G. Hart's 18th Death on Demand novel, Death Walked In . Gwen Jamison has called Max's office, Confidential Commissions, for help, but he rushes out to work on restoring the derelict antebellum mansion he and Annie and refurbishing. Thus, it is Annie who gets the message that Gwen had ...more
annapi
Max Darling, still recovering from his harrowing experience in the previous book, has been avoiding clients with problems. So when a woman calls for help, saying she is afraid, he refuses to talk to her. But the woman tells Max's secretary that she has hidden something in the old house that Max and Annie have bought and are restoring, so Annie rushes to meet with her - and finds her shot and dying. Max's guilt over her death makes him determined to find the killer, as well as the stolen gold coi ...more
Judy
Dec 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Sometimes you just need to put aside anything that has any socially redeeming value and read something fun. Carolyn Hart is just the ticket. One of the founders of Sisters in Crime, Hart resides in Oklahoma City, but writes lovingly of life on a fictional sea island off the coast of South Carolina (near the very real Hilton Head Island). Not a compelling story, but one of the strengths of Hart's Death on Demand series is that the story are based around a bookstore which sells only mystery books. ...more
Lisa
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't much enjoy this book, but it might be a result of not knowing it was part of a series (so I felt a bit lost) and trying to follow the mystery in my car as an audiobook. It is part of the "Death on Demand Mystery" series, which follows the exploits of Annie Darling, an owner of a murder mystery bookstore and Max Darling, her private eye husband (although he considers himself an investigator) in a South Carolina island. In this story, a pair of gold coins have been stolen from a house fil ...more
Scilla
Apr 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Max gets a call from a caller who wants help after hiding something in the lovely old house that Max and Annie are renovating. Annie runs to the woman's house and gets there just in time for the woman to die in her arms from a gunshot wound. At another nearby house, some rare gold coins had been stolen during the night. The dead woman's son is framed for both the robbery and murder and Annie and Max, convinced of the boy's innocence, seek the murderer. Of course, they are shot at and there is a ...more
Sally
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This book was really 3 + for me. The characters were well described. The lead characters were likeable. A murder has been commited and Max's wife , Annie, stumbles upon the scene. There turns out to be a series of events and more murders. They revolve around a collection of valuable coins which have been stolen and a rich family who each have motives. It was too easy to figure out "who done it". But it was a good way to spend some time.
Mary Baker
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novel by Carolyn Hart. The author did a good job of concealing the identity of the murderer until the climax; but, when the reader reviews the plot strands, he realizes that the clues have been given all along. I enjoy a good mystery, and this was definitely one. My only concern is that the setting just doesn't seem right for South Carolina, the state in which I have lived most of my seventy years.
Margaret
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book by a master.
Until this moment I had a passage bookmarked in which our hero says that people read mysteries because they want to see good prevail. That is certainly one factor! Another is the puzzle that is usually being slowly solved.
I was sure I had guessed the hiding place of the gold coins. Wrong! And I did sort of guess the perpetrator, though not entirely.
Whatever, fun to read and recommended.
Karen Hufman
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a cute series. It takes place on an island, reminds me of the south but I'm not exactly sure where. A wealthy resident of the island gets some expensive coins stolen from his estate at the same time his family is visiting. His housekeeper is murdered and her troubled son is arrested. Max and Annie are sure he's innocent and set about proving it.
Kathleen Meacham
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this book to be better than some of the others in the series. Certain regular characters only played minimal roles, and that was the possible difference. Maybe it is just me, but I find that vicious cat, Agatha, to be quite annoying -- such a nasty little beast. She is always drawing blood on Annie -- I guess I wonder why this is a necessary element.
Cathy
Nov 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
B; took me awhile to get through this. Not that the story wasn't attention grabbing, just that life is keeping me too busy to enjoy one of my favorite past times. I like this series and appreciate that I can pick the up out of sequence and not feel like I'm missing too much. Hart does a good job of giving you just enough backstory without spending half the book recapping previous events.
Lindsay
May 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
This book was kind of blame. Really glad it was short.
Max and Annie find out that there are some coins worth millions in the house that they are remodeling and the person who gave them in the hint is dead? Who killed the person? Are the coins still in the house or did the killer take them already?
It wasn't super boring, but not quite as exciting as the last one.
Cheri
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always Carolyn Harts books are pleasing and she offers more fodder for future reading in her recommendations from the Death on Demand bookstore.This book had some intriguing twists and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Julie
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I used to love this series, but I had not read any for quite a few years. This one was a tired retread of the other books in the series. I listened to it on Audible, and the narrator was pretty bad, especially with the male characters' voices.
Nick Duretta
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a very workmanlike cozy mystery with a by-the-numbers plot. Murder is committed, a very typical landry list of suspects isidentified, and so on. Hart's protagonists Max and Annie are cute and clever, and the island setting is enjoyable, but that's about it.
Kim
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Have not read the series for a while, but it seems that Annie Darling and her husband Max have really grown up. Loved this one, but very glad that Laurel puts in a very slight appearance.... Laurel is best in small doses!
Gloria
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Women
Shelves: mystery
This is a great, light, quick read. No sex, and the violence connected to the crime is not gory. Lots of clues revealed as the story unfolds. Pleasant read but not one that especially makes you want to go after the next one in the series.
Jennie
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Definitely not terrific but okay if you want to escape for a day or two. Annie and Max have gotten a little too perfect and are fairly annoying - or maybe I'm just sick of them and their idyllic Brower's Rock.
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Father Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • The Alpine Menace (Emma Lord, #13)
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • Murder in the Oval Office (Eleanor Roosevelt, #6)
  • Blind Rage (Bernadette Saint Claire #2)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark, #2)
  • Bloody Kin
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Twilight (Jenny Cain, #10)
  • Death By Design (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1-3)
  • And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)
Also writing as Carolyn Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Midnig

Death On Demand (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)