Start by marking “When Abraham Talked to the Trees” as Want to Read:
When Abraham Talked to the Trees

When Abraham Talked to the Trees

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When Abraham Lincoln's ma died, she left him a book and the wish to read it every day. The words were hard to figure sometimes, but he tried again and again when chores were finished and the quiet had come.Abraham Lincoln's love for words the reading, writing, and speaking of them began when he was young. Though his early years were filled with hardship and loss, he had a ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published September 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about When Abraham Talked to the Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Abraham Talked to the Trees

Linda
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully told story of Abraham Lincoln's youth; his love of books and words, and his development into becoming a public servant and orator (and President!) Beautifully told and gorgeously illustrated, this book brings another side of the amazing Mr. Lincoln to life for young readers.
Shelli
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
One of the things most enduring about Abraham Lincoln was his passion for reading. I have no doubt that this love of books is what eventually got him to the White House and into the hearts of millions for generations to come. This is a fun book to share with young readers, showing Abe's humble upbringings and determined spirit. The illustrations are also beautifully done showing both the time period and emotions perfectly.
Morgan
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: february
I loved this book. I feel it tied into the biography so nicely. I was able to pick out facts in it. Like his love for knowledge, his practice public speaking, his mothers death, his dad remarrying. I absolutely loved the illustrations and his story was told simply and beautifully for a children audience.
Austin Francis
I thought this book was beautifully written. It was a take on Abraham Lincoln's life i had never heard before. We hear a lot about his presidency, but it was refreshing to read about what he was like as a boy and young man. I think the book might be a little to flowery, but it is a children's book so it is supposed to be flowery.
Carly
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 3-6
Shelves: biography
This is a great book with a beautiful story. It tells about a small period of time during Abraham Lincoln's life. It has got a great message and beautiful illustrations. I think kids would love it because every child knows who Abraham Lincoln is and it talks about him in a way they have probably never heard before. It would be great for a Wax Museum or History unit.
Curtiss
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
A charmingly illustrated introduction to the early life of Abraham Lincoln; to share with children ages 6-12. I enjoyed it even though I was 54 when I first read it.
Dee
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History fans
Another great story of Abraham Lincoln. Beautifully illustrated and very moving.
Rachel
love how it goes through lincoln's young life and how his love for reading helped him verbalize his thoughts and beliefs in a poetic way he would later use as president
Gideon
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is another book about Abraham Lincoln.
Suzanne
Feb 11, 2015
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april
Favorite Quote
"Reading took last place in Abraham's day, but it was always first place in his heart."
George