Start by marking “Single Page Web Applications” as Want to Read:
Single Page Web Applications

Single Page Web Applications

Summary

In Single Page Web Applications you'll learn to build modern browser-based apps that take advantage of stronger client platforms and more predictable bandwidth. You'll learn the SPA design approach, and then start exploring new techniques like structured JavaScript and responsive design. And you'll learn how to capitalize on trends like server-side JavaScript and No
Paperback, 1, 325 pages
Published June 2012 by Manning Publications

To ask other readers questions about Single Page Web Applications, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Single Page Web Applications

Vladimir Rybalko
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Not bad. Too ambiguously for me. Some very useful parts are mixed with so boring reading. I do not understand why author has included too many code examples into each chapter. He should attach a code archive better. Despite the big advantage is a detailed review of SPA application concept. SPA examples without any framework are the most powerful pages. They are really cool! I would recommend these parts to everyone who want to know deeply about the single page application.
Irina Lukyanenko
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spa
I have read only JavaScript Essentials Part and I really thankful because it contains a strong deep explanation.
Cassio Goldschmidt
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun JavaScript end to end book! Very good intermediate book on how to write rich web apps with a JavaScript backed (node.js + MongoDb). This book is one of those programming books that not only teaches the language but also also preaches coding "better" practices. The appendix on Javascript standards was a bit disappointing and the authors make very few mentions about security, which should be a topic of great concern for SPA developers. The chapters on Mongo, Express, Node.js were my favorite p ...more
Igor
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This is good book that can teach you JavaScript programming, but the example that is used throughout the whole book in my opinion is too big and in moments gets confusing.

The beginning is great, the explanation of how JavaScript works and how browsers are handling JavaScript code is one of the best that I have ever read.

The part with the chat application that is used for explaining SPA is too big in my opinion, I wasn't able to follow the code, because sometimes it was spreading on 3 pages.

The e
Jean Tessier
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: software
Single page applications are all the rage these days. I figured this book could help me make sense of it all. I'm particularly interested in AngularJS, but it never came up in the book.

The book walks you through all the steps to build a fully functional chat application. It shows client-side interactions, abstracting a data layer, communicating with a server to exchange messages, and storing user profiles in a database on the server. The example is just complex enough to showcase all the steps w
Deodoro
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
There are some glitches in this book, but you may learn some interesting things with it (although I suggest borrowing it instead of buying, definetely not that good).

First, a disclaimer: not a book for beginners, you'd better keep away if you don't already know some HTML+CSS+JS. Just saying it...

The goodies: lots of code to browse; some good software engineering in the way things are put together; a nice primer on node.js.

On the flip side:

Waaay too much code, I'd tell the authors to put the bulk
Dan
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A decent introduction to SPA architecture, with a heavy focus on JavaScript and JavaScript-centric technologies. The code is mostly solid, albeit a bit verbose at times (more could easily have been offshored to downloads, or to force the user to recall previous code snippets), but the verbosity was put to good use in many places to explain the how and way of certain choices.

There are a few places that struck me as odd: the authors don't explain why a jQuery plugin is needed when bind and trigger
Gishu Pillai
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: programmming
Liked the hands on style of the book - the author takes us on a ride building (yet another) chat application. Loved the way of breaking down the development into discrete testable pieces and then tying them all up together.

I guess this is the book for SPAs at the moment. SPA differs from the usual web page by moving the entire client application over to the browser using JS + only relying on the server for initial load + data updates

However the content isn't sticky.. maybe I speed-read it. This
Matthew Purdon
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great book, I really appreciated the rout the author takes in writing the framework from scratch rather than relying on a pre-built framework such as angular or react.

This in-depth planning for the architecture of the application rather than being a bunch of web page templates/fragments with some JavaScript glue is focusing on the best thing that has happened to front end or client-side development in a long time - we are now building applications, not just web pages.
Alan
Oct 23, 2014 marked it as recommended
Shelves: programming
rec by DDJ:

use jQuery and TaffyDB instead of Angular (not MEAN)
Mj Macarty
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best all around text I have read with JavaScript as the subject. This will make you write. Enter code.
Mills College Library
005.2762 M6369 2013
Andrew Gurinovitch
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
maybe this book is not that bad technically, but i just become bored. too lengthy and not much new for me.
Jiayi

• Mastering Web Application Development with AngularJS
  • MongoDB in Action
  • Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Functional JavaScript: Introducing Functional Programming with Underscore.js
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »