Start by marking “Snap” as Want to Read:
Snap

Snap

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Churches are burning. People are being slaughtered. The country is petrified by a rogue criminal known as Killer Ghost who posts videos online of his brutal crimes. Danny, a desperate young hustler, is rescued and befriended by a stranger. Happiness is short lived when Danny realizes the stranger who is tormented by horrific events in his past could be Killer Ghost.
Published April 1st 2012 by ARMSlength on Smashwords (first published March 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Snap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snap

K.Z. Snow
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75

More people must read this book. That is my decree. I know my decrees aren't worth the skin cells I'm leaving on my keyboard, but I'm trying to be emphatic. Sometimes, it's worth sounding stupid to make a point.

Snap isn't without its flaws. Most extraordinary reads are like that; pushing can lead to stumbling. I felt it could have benefited from some judicious editing. The rough lyricism of the prose becomes self-indulgent at times, wandering through thickets of figurative language (kind of
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
First of all, this is not romance.

It's a dark, captivating, frightening, violent story of revenge and redemption. Danny is a 17-year-old hustler with a drug-addicted mother and no one else. One night he is "saved" by an incredibly beautiful man who wants nothing sexual from him. He gives Danny a bed, something to eat. He brings Danny along his quest for revenge. Who is this man? The media knows him as Killer Ghost: he burns churches, he kills people, he makes Danny record his deeds and then pos
Ross McCoubrey
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every so often you come across a story that not only demands your attention but challenges your perceptions. Snap, by Allen Renfro, is such a novel.

The author beautifully crafts what could be taken as a sinister concept (vigilante style murder/retribution) and through gracefully constructed prose, reminiscent of Kerouac at his best, has Danny, the protagonist, tell us how his encounter with a supposed trick ended up being a road trip through a kind of silver-lined hell.

Danny uses a stream of c

Yuki
I think my all 5 stars for this book are speaking for themselves.
Snap is beautifully written, captivating and heartwrenching work of art. There's no romance and I honestly think I wouldn't like it if there was something lovey-dovey.
Highly recommended.

Crossposted on blog: http://frausorge.wordpress.com/2013/0...
Brandon Shire
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt
Loved it, probably one of the best books I've read this year. An eclectic book that gets into the meat and bones. VERY Highly recommended.
Katharina
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
4.75

A word of caution at the beginning: this is not a romance! If you are looking for anything romantic and lovey-dovey: this is not it. Turn away right this instant.
... Or do not. Because romance or not, this book is worth reading. Just adjust your expectations and get on with it, anyway :)

So, what can I say about this book? It's... brutal. Grimy and dirty. There is a poetic cruelty in every line that makes you shudder and yearn for more. It is like a drug, painful and addictive, like strong re
Marcus Slade
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Graphically brutal and candid, the author tackles a subject that most authors I'm sure would not be willing to touch. Even though it's fiction, religion, sexuality and the destruction of the family are topics we talk about in real life everyday. This takes the subject to a new level. When someone is pushed too far there is no way of knowing how they might lash out. Snap gives you a glimpse of how horrifying someone's wrath can be. An amazing twist at the end that you'll never see coming!
Antonella
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5

Like K.Z. Snow (I thank her for recommanding ''Snap'') I wonder why isn't everybody reading this book?
It's different from other m/m books, and refreshingly so. Gripping and powerful.

About the missing half star: I have some minor issues with punctuation and with some repetitions. Still, it's an excellent read.
Sylvia
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, free
Violent, heartbreaking, vivid, felt like a road movie. I noticed the lack of punctuation but I didn't mind. It made me work a little harder at the start and I got used to it fast. I like the associative writing.
Ery
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freebee-looks interesting. see link for details.
Elizabetta

This is a wild ride, a psychological drama/horror story seen through the eyes of Danny, a 17 year-old street hustler and drifter reduced to tricking for food. We get a taste of Dickens when Danny, at the end of hope, with nothing and no one, is visited one night by his ghost of nightmares past and present. He finds himself rescued (or is it avenged...?) by Matthew, a mysterious and dangerous stranger he dubs “Blue Eyes” or “the monster”. Together, they drive around the countryside in r
Laylah
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a mixed bag. There are some neat things going on with the story here, and watching how the layers of lies and stories unfold is fascinating -- but the book really would have benefited from an editor, both at the grammar/sentence structure level and at the broader consistency-of-themes level. There were times when Danny's fanciful metaphors verged on the hallucinatory, and his habit of repetition was practically a litany, which made me want to read him as having some kind of a psychological ...more
Anne
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very powerful book, unlike any other. Very violent in places and some editing would have made it even better and a little easier to read, which is why it gets four stars, not five. The ending was a suprise, but in a good way.
Avivs
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was poetry. Pure, beautiful poetry.
I never read anything by this author, but I want to read more.
Dark story, complex characters and an original tale.

I didn't love the ending as much as I thought, it wasn't at the same level as the beginning and the middle.

But still, this was poetry, and I feel blessed to have read it.
Jen
Oh, my. Well, this was definitely a different kind of story. I struggled a bit with the prose - if that's what you would call it. It reads almost like an old movie monologue. I thought for sure that I saw the ending coming from a mile a way, but it definitely didn't end how I expected it to. There were times when I was tempted to not finish it, but I did. I'm glad I did, but it was still a tough read. Very sad. I gave it more stars because of the author's ability to write something that's outsid ...more
K
May 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was picked for me in a challenge in the M/M romance group - but this really not a romance.

It's dark, twisty and sometimes confusing in the head of the main character - and sometimes that wasn't a good place to be as a reader. There are very few books that I get straight through, but this required me to break off and read something light and fluffy a couple of times whilst I was reading.

It is a well written book with interesting plot and characters. I have had difficulties rating this as I a
Margaret
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How does a writer create a story about serial killing and arson that is poignant, sensitive, and totally engaging? Just ask super-talented Allen Renfro. I have a feeling, though, that even he could not explain it - it just rolls from his mind onto the page and becomes a living, breathing entity. Snap is a compelling read with as many twists and turns as a country road and the reader never is prepared for what is around the next corner.

Daniel Kelly
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revenge of the gay bashed ghost…or is it a ghost? Allen Renfro keeps you guessing right until the end in Snap.

A teen named Danny (great name) is saved from turning tricks for food by a guy he refers to only as Blue Eyes. And before long, Danny is on a road trip with Blue Eyes, who burns down churches and lures dirt bags into gay bashing him, at which point Blue Eyes kills them while having Danny film it so they can post it online.

But this isn’t just a tale of an anti-gay basher duo. As the story
Christoph Fischer
"Snap" by Allen Renfro is a provocative and stimulating book. It concerns 17 year old hustler Danny and his friendship with what he thinks is a friendly and beautiful trucker, nick named by him as Blue Eye.
The story works on many levels, with suspense, action and deep character development.
It is however not a romance between the men. The two develop a friendship that gets tested when it emerges that the trucker may be the famous Killer Ghost, who avenges other crimes.
Both men, and some of their
FridaMia
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Southern Gothic meets magical realism, as told by a 17-going-on-70 hustler. A comment on the unusual punctuation, I think it's very much intentional, and not a problem with the editing at all! Renfro know exactly what he's doing, and the stream of consciousness style of Dannys voice is what makes this such a unique and wonderful read, if perhaps a bit more challenging.
Heartily recommended!
Rodd Clark
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, I will pulled along with the fantastic story line and beautiful word craft. Amazing artist and I have already purchased more books by Allen Renfro and I am certain I will not be disappointed.
Chi chi
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that gets you hooked from the word go.... It's very captivating and sexy ( in a tragic and morbid sought of way)... Very very good read
Ayanna
Mar 11, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-maybe
Someone tell me if this is more romance or horror, cuz if it's horror, I'm turning tail and fleeing.
Keri
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nightmares
What a dark, haunting book! While I couldn't agree with what the MC did, I could understand his reasons and grief and his struggle to save another's soul. Highly recommend.
Rosie
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m

I found this really hard to rate - some things I REALLY liked, but some things I didn't like at all. So I think 3.5 is about right for me.
Franz
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Murder at Willow Slough
  • The Definitive Albert J. Sterne
  • A Hard Winter Rain
  • Exodus (The House of Silence, #1)
  • Release (Davlova, #1)
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • The Darker Side of Trey Grey (Trey Grey, #1)
  • The Rest Is Illusion
  • Atom Heart John Beloved
  • Under the Rushes
  • The Trust
  • Dead in L.A. (L.A. Paranormal, #1-2)
  • Slasherazzi
  • Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Rinse and Repeat (Repeater, #1)
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • Lies and Consequences
Allen Renfro is a native of Tennessee and a graduate of Tusculum College. A published poet and artist in the zine culture of the 1990s he considers himself a "fringe" artist who unabashedly tackles controversial subjects. An admitted history buff, horror movie watcher and reader of fiction, he is the author of nine novels.
More about Allen Renfro...