Start by marking “The Support Economy: Why Corporations Are Failing Individuals and the Next Episode of Capitalism” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Support Economy: W...

Shoshana Zuboff

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Today's "managerial" capitalism has grown hopelessly out of touch with the people it should be serving. The Support Economy explores the chasm between people and corporations and reveals a new society of individuals who seek relationships of advocacy and trust that provide support for their complex lives.Unlocking the wealth of these new markets can unleash the next great ...more
Published January 27th 2004 by Penguin Books (first published October 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Support Economy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Support Economy

May
Jun 13, 2011 added it
Shelves: economics
Interesting reed for it's time. Too much of what they suggest has already come to pass for it to be truly unique, but a good place to start for those that are trying to see the macro big picture changes in society.
Jemma
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the best business books I've read. They truly have a fine analysis of how our society developed and what are the problems with Economics. Plus, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has realised that it's the Accountants who stop companies truly building relationships with customers. I liked the acknowledgement that sexism has played a large role in the producer/consumer disconnect too!

The solutions I'm less sure of. It sounds good but I struggle to see how the money people in org
Jasmin Cheng
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that inspired my sabbatical. Shoshana Zuboff's work helped me understand a lot of the nonsense I was seeing and experiencing in my professional and personal life.

Since reading this book which gave a detailed and fascinating history of capitalism, I have continued to research what this new economy looks like. I do appreciate her ideas around advocacy and confederacy, and there are some examples of that appearing now. But she doesn't really take into consideration at this time e
Richard
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The title says it all: "Why corporations are failing individuals." Whether Zuboff's network-enabled "agents" are the answer to the 21st century's discontent and the failure of conventional corporations remains to be seen. But her analysis of the problems we face is on-target.

Read particularly her definition of "the transaction crisis" (that sinking feeling we all have in our stomachs, when our flight is canceled; our hotel reservation is lost; or, the product fails to perform as advertised).
E
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
How and why capitalism must change

This original work by Harvard professor and intellectual Shoshana Zuboff, and philosopher and former CEO James Maxmin may seem utopian. And, to an extent, perhaps it is. The book presents a fantastic future world of commerce, and does so within the strictures of an academic tone, including extensive footnotes. The authors’ ideas seem shy of practicality but quite worthwhile. Surely some businesses already serve their customers more than their shareholders or exe
Joe Raimondo
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Shoshanna Zuboff -- this book is a blueprint for a post-corporate society.
Steven Carraher