Start by marking “Waterloo: June 18, 1815: The Battle For Modern Europe” as Want to Read:
Waterloo: June 18, 1815: The Battle For Modern Europe

Waterloo: June 18, 1815: The Battle For Modern Europe

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  252 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
June 18, 1815, was one of the most momentous days in world history, marking the end of twenty-two years of French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. On the bloody battlefield of Waterloo, the Emperor Napoleon and his hastily formed legions clashed with the Anglo-Allied armies led by the Duke of Wellington -- the only time the two greatest military strategists of their age ...more
Paperback, Making History, 160 pages
Published December 27th 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published February 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Waterloo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waterloo

Martinxo
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, war
Good overview of a BIG battle.
Paul
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The battle at Waterloo marked the final end of Napoleon’s reign in France and, according to Andrew Roberts, the logical end of the eighteenth century. Wellington’s victory effectively signaled the end of France as a first-rank military power and the beginning of England’s imperial rise.

Roberts sets three goals for himself in this little volume: to explain the importance of the battle by setting it in its historical context, to narrate the action in and around the battle, and to survey some of th
Zack
Roberts' book offers much to satisfy the heart of an Anglophile. He seeks to dispatch the notion that the battle was lost by a decrepit Napoleon, opting for the interpretation that Waterloo was Wellington's victory above all else. Like his other biographical approaches, Roberts meets with success despite some unabashedly flippant castigation of Britain's foes. Waterloo is the classic story we have come to know so well, but it also entertains some hints of revisionism that make it an important co ...more
Kim
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
En stark 3:a! Intressant sammanfattning om slaget vid Waterloo. Det roligaste var att läsa delar av brev från de som var närvarande vid slaget. Det som drar ner mest är alla de uppräkningar av soldater, hästar och kanoner varje regemente och bataljon hade. Säkert många som finner det väldigt intressant men tycker man hade kunnat skippa sådan detaljrikedom då boken redan är väldigt kort. Roberts håller ändå ett bra tempo och tror aldrig jag kände att boken blev tråkig förutom vid dessa uppräkning ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Reading military battle history, no matter how clear it might be, tends to make me go cross-eyed from all the shifting details. Even in this concise little volume, I suffered the same effect...so I admire anyone who can take relaxing pleasure from such writing. That said, it's certainly an effective little one-stop-shop for information on the Battle of Waterloo. I can easily admire it as a research tool.
Doug
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Nice quick introduction. I haven't read much about the Napoleonic Wars, except all the Bernard Cornwell books.
John-Paul
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Probably the shortest book I've read all year, this well-researched and enlightening little work is an excellent primer to one of the most pivotal battles the world has ever seen. At first I thought Roberts' assertion that Waterloo was such a battle, that it signaled the end of the "long" 18th Century and ushered in the new 19th Century was more than a bit hyperbolic. But, after reading this book and understand what this battle meant for all of Europe (and the world, for that matter), it appears ...more
Jacob Mcconnell
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
In its writing, it has a definite anglo-centric view, but that's because it has to. The English kicked ass in this battle and Napoleon did things in a cocky manner. He should have checked himself a bit more; he was out of practice I guess. That being said, some spots of bias shine through here and there in the author's use of words like "fortunately" when describing British accomplishments and not endowing the same honorific adverbiage on matchable accomplishments from the French side (at least ...more
Chad
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and concise account of one of the most important battles in the history of mankind. Roberts delivers in an entertaining way, filling the book with interesting tidbits of information such as the fact that Blucher believed himself to have been impregnated by Elephants. The only real complaint is that the book has several instances where Roberts uses french terms without explanation in English and thus the reader is forced to find the meanings on their own. Otherwise, this is a great bo ...more
Jessica
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is for people who are smarter than me. It is a literal play by play of the Battle of Waterloo. I think this battle is often overlooked, but one that changed the course of history---if Napoleon had won America would have spoken French and a good chance of Napoleon fighting us to retrieve the Louisiana Purchase.
I had a difficult time following it and staying with it. I learned the most from this book in the neat little conclusion at the very end (which by the way was very succinct and un
Gerry Germond
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19th-century
Splendid little play-by-play on the battle of Waterloo. Author Roberts identifies more French than British mistakes, but then, who lost, um? Having read it, I have a better appreciation of what happened when and where, and just how close run the thing was. My only quibble is that the map doesn't align with the narrative and a few key places (the Ohain road, Papelotte, Frishermont) are omitted, but one can properly follow the action regardless.
Ryan Lockwood
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Quick and dirty... Where historical events are concerned, this series could turnout to be great. While concise, the book was fairly informative and an excelent refresher on the battle. I tend to prefer meatier books on events but Roberts does a decent job of covering the basics and creating interest for further reading. I'll definately look to this series as an introduction to further topics I'm considering.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1113743.html[return][return]A very short but very detailed account of the June 1815 campaign which sealed Napoleon's fate. The carnage was brutal and vicious; the battle of Waterloo took place over a very small area, four kilometres by two, with the focus of the fighting being two building complexes which Wellington needed to hold long enough for the Prussians under Bl
Martin
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
At 132 pages, this is a delightful tiny morsel of Napoleonic history. I took the challenge and read it in a day. Roberts uses the tried and true 5 phase model to explain Waterloo clearly and without frills. There's little time to go into enough detail to make any real mistakes. A lovely book for those who want to get the basics without wasting time, but real period enthusiasts will want more.
Paul Pensom
An excellent primer to the 19th century battle which irrevocably changed the balance of power. At under 150 pages including notes this is only the briefest of introductions, and is necessarily light on background, but the salient points are tackled with verve and brio, and as an appetite whetter it can't be faulted.
Paul Loong
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good short book focusing on the battle of Waterloo. However, there are only 2 maps - the campaign and the actual battle. If more maps can be added to illustrate the different moves described in the book, it will be much easier to understand the situation.

If you play board wargames, this is a good companion book for you to enjoy your games more.
Jason Page
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
A little dry in spots, but a very interesting book about one of the most important battles in world history. Napoleon and Wellington are fascinating giants on the battle field, and no matter how much I realize that it was all the better for world history for events to play out as they did I still can't help but secretly cheer for the Emperor!
Jonathan
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superb overview of the battle, distilling the complex and sometimes chaotic movements of the day into five major phases. It's a fast-moving and absorbing account, and the judicious use of eyewitness accounts and letters adds a human touch to an event that shaped the continent of Europe, and therefore the world, for the next 100 years.
Bill S.
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-history
Nice, short overview of one of the most climactic battles in history. Not being a student of Wellington or Bonaparte there were references in the book that lost me. Still a worthy read for anyone with any interest in Waterloo.
Kai
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
good general survey of the battle of Waterloo, but it doesn't convey the sense of scale of this battle, its massiveness and "grandness" (for lack of a better word).

Very few details and brevity of eye witness accounts make this a less than compelling read.
Abby
Nov 14, 2008 rated it liked it
This book had a lot of military information that was easily understood but the organization of the book was somewhat lacking. The author repeatedly jumps between the French and English making it sometimes difficult to remember which side he is talking about in any given paragraph.
Al
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Nice short read that got to the meat of the story. I will expand on my readings in regards to the battle but this was a nice introduction
Baard Hansen
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Brief but astute description of Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo.
Donald Pryde
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but sweet

Short book on the battle of Waterloo. Very easy read by a great writer of war and history books. Brilliant
Dustin Bass
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
For the purpose it serves, it serves it well. A simplification of how the Battle of Waterloo was won. Done with precision and quickness. Only a little over 100 pages.
Rob
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good, straightforward introduction to the battle. Just what you're looking for to start you off on the subject.
Matthew
Very concise well written overview of this battle.
Alec
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
An great description of the battle of waterloo, the concluding battle of the Napoleonic wars where napoleon lost to the duke of wellington. An easy history read.
John O'reilly
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Brief summary of the battle; would be useful to see maps throughout to illustrate. While a short version is helpful, I cannot imagine that there is more to the story, especially the aftermath.
Bloomington
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Quick, fast, but compelling explanation of the battle. Well-balanced. Not as much presumption in this account.
  • Napoleon's Wars: An International History, 1803-1815
  • Napoleon in Egypt
  • The Illustrious Dead: The Terrifying Story of How Typhus Killed Napoleon's Greatest Army
  • Moscow 1812: Napoleon's Fatal March
  • Vienna 1814: How the Conquerors of Napoleon Made War, Peace, and Love at the Congress of Vienna
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • Waterloo: A Near Run Thing
  • The Bridge at Remagen: A Story of World War II
  • Perilous Fight: America's Intrepid War with Britain on the High Seas, 1812-1815
  • The Battle: A New History of Waterloo
  • Stanley: The Impossible Life of Africa's Greatest Explorer
  • Russia Against Napoleon: The Battle for Europe, 1807 to 1814
  • Civil War: The Wars of the Three Kingdoms 1638-1660
  • The Campaigns of Napoleon
  • Swords around a Throne: Napoleon's Grande Armee
  • The Patton Papers: 1940-1945
  • Wellington: The Iron Duke
  • The Marne, 1914: The Opening of World War I and the Battle That Changed the World
Dr Andrew Roberts, who was born in 1963, took a first class honours degree in Modern History at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge, from where he is an honorary senior scholar and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). He has written or edited twelve books, and appears regularly on radio and television around the world. Based in New York, he is an accomplished public speaker, and is represented by Har ...more
More about Andrew Roberts