Start by marking “Skyworld: Volume One” as Want to Read:
Skyworld: Volume One

Skyworld: Volume One

(Skyworld #1)

Every legend hides a lie

A murdered Skygod
re-emerges in modern-day Manila.

A Tikbalang prince plots vengeance
for the death of his father.

And the Queen of the Asuang
unleashes the mythical Bakunawa
upon the streets of the city.

Caught in their age-old struggle is Andoy.
a crippled orphan that discovers
he is the fulfillment of a prophecy
dating back to Lapu-Lapu himself
Published May 26th 2012 by National Bookstore Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Skyworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skyworld

Nicolo Yu
Summer Komikon 2012 special

Summer Komikon 2012 saw the launch of Mervin Ignacio and Ian Sta. Maria’s Skyworld as a two-volume trade paperback collection from National Bookstore which collected the graphic novel series originally self-published by the duo. I have the first three graphic novels, which were released in previous Komikons and of which I have done reviews here. A fourth one was unpublished but is included in the second volume of the collection.

The first volume collected Apocrypha an
K.D. Absolutely
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to K.D. by: Apokripos
I am rating this first volume (composed of Book 1: Apocrypha and Book 2: Testament) as if I have not read its second volume. The reason is that the second volume has the background of the story. I would have liked this first volume if parts of that background were somehow captured into the narration.

My favorite part in this book is the sudden appearance of Trese, the balding heroine of the Budjette Tan's famous series. When I was reading that part last night, I got excited because I was not expe
Judie
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philippine-lit
I am a big fan of Philippine mythological stories and I believe its richness greatly deserves the spotlight. This is why I really enjoyed reading the first volume of Skyworld. The historical spin was very interesting; a small part of me considered the possibility of the supernatural spin happening during the historic battle of Mactan between Philippine and Spanish forces. Who knows, right? :)

The queen of aswangs, Rianka, was an effective antagonist. However, while I knew why she had to exact tha
Ben
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If this is adapted into a motion picture, then it will be the most ambitious fantasy flick the Philippine movie industry will ever produce. I wish some producers would consider the idea. But I doubt it's going to happen because of the problem of marketability. But if there's one director who could pull it off, it would be Erik Matti, the creator of "Tiktik" and "On The Job".

Enough of the crap.

I re-read this last night and it was a right decision. I enjoyed it now more than the first time I read
Aljohn Laid
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Initial thoughts:

1. I'm not so much of a fan of comic books but I thought of picking this one up as a support to the Filipino talents that created Skyworld.
2. I think the premise of the story is very promising. Another reason why I bought this is it explores the local folklore of the Philippines.
3. The downside is that the plot is under-explored, and the characters tend to fall flat.
4. The sketches went a little inconsistent when it got a little light or blurry in one or two of its episodes.
5. I
Kat
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Maria Ella
Yeah, we should have these kind of komiks to impart to our generations.
I am glad that Ian Sta. Maria and Mervin Ignacio braved all the challenges to release this book. Not only as an experimental story - but the comics portrayed as their flagship project.

And there is a cross-over from our famous babaylan-mandirigma: Alexandra Trese.
I LIKE! :D
Tays
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-best-so-far
Exciting plot. Great artwork. Impressive, just impressive. The way how mythology and folklore and Philippine history were all connected in this book was just very well written. This is by far one of the best Philippine literary piece i have ever read. Not to mention, it's a graphic novel, a genre of literature I'm mostly engrossed. This book makes me proud of being a Filipino.
Earl
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This proves to be another successful attempt at bringing back our awe for the myths of old, and with the fight between the Aswang and the combined efforts of the human race (Trese crossover!) and the Tikbalang, it is really worth reading.
Maan
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: graphic-novel
Book #40 for 2012: I have not felt this excitement and passion for the longest time. Skyworld Vol. 1 sent my heart racing and wanting for more.

(Please refer to my Skyworld Vol. 2 Review as well)
Lynne
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The plot was really building up. Its good, I look forward to the sequels. However, the layout of the art is messy. I hope they fix that up.
Ann Luna
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this graphic novel! It featured ancient Visayan deities and even an epic prophecy that traced its roots to Jose Rizal and Lapu-Lapu. It also featured one of my fave characters, Alexandra Trese. Here, she is older and acts as a mentor to our reluctant hero.
Gieliza
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: absolute-fave
5 stars!

So very good! I need more. On to volume 2.
Kevin Cortes
The two books, Apocrypha and Testament, compiled in volume 1 of Skyworld were greatly told. This is a story that mixes both our Philippine mythology and history to give us a wonderful reading experience. Social commentaries, such as regarding the governance of our former President, was inserted with wit.

Skyworld is one among the Philippine comics that was done right in delivering a story of substance. One that deserves to be read by the current generation. This 1st volume can definitely rock Man
Beatriz Andrea Fernandez
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
When I call this comic epic, I mean it in the traditional sense. The story is grand, spanning thousands of years of Philippine history, both real and imagined. The project of this comic is not unlike the Kojiki and Nihongi of Japan that infuses the country's history with it's mythology. In "Skyworld," Ignacio attempts to do the same, rewriting Philippine history and intertwining it with its folkloric narratives. The story tends to be melodramatic, but I think that too speaks to the culture from ...more
Maka
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it

I first heard of Skyworld from friend, he told me that if I liked Trese then I would definitely like this. So then I grabbed a copy of this book. With no regrets, I'm glad I bought this.
Definitely got captured with the illustrations. Surprising elements are everywhere in the book...
From Bathala to Aswangs. From the past to present. From the characters of this book to the characters of another "Popular-Aswang-Themed-Comics"
Mapet
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent start to a wonderful series that tackles Filipino folklore and mythology! The art is gritty which fits the plot line perfectly. And it's always nice to see familiar, well-loved faces (Shout out to Alex and the Kambal!).
Jules Philip Hernando
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as fascinating and original as Arnold Arre's and Budgette Tan's works but it is still breathtaking and even enthralling. I am definitely going to purchase the next volume when it comes out of the market.
Pturingan
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
This was really, really good. You can tell that they're building up to something special here.
Tami Tales
Arby
Jun 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Skyworld (5 books)
  • Skyworld: Apocrypha (Skyworld, #1)
  • Skyworld: Testament (Skyworld, #2)
  • Skyworld: Prodigal (Skyworld, #3)
  • Skyworld: Volume Two
“My father once told me about a city on the other side of the sky.

Gods watch over us from there.”
0 likes