Start by marking “Scissors” as Want to Read:
Scissors

Scissors

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Stuart will never forget the horrible thing Dr. Ferguson did to him when he was a boy. The pain, the blood and the snip-snip of those glinting scissors will live in his nightmares for the rest of his life. But now Dr. Ferguson is back and not just in Stuart's dreams. He's very real. He's determined to perform that same horrible procedure on Stuart's young son. And his scis ...more
Hardcover, Signed Edition Limited to 1000 Numbered copies, 335 pages
Published May 28th 2004 by Cemetery Dance Publications

To ask other readers questions about Scissors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scissors

Tressa
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2010
Not one of Ray Garton's best, but still an enjoyable coupla-days read. I agree with another reviewer's comment about this not being a scary read, but there were some thrilling moments.

Garton is good at making his characters believable and not just some generic figures to fill up a page so the plot can revolve around them. I enjoyed the main character's Bible-thumping mother, as well as the touching relationship between father and son.

I also liked the way the plot took a different turn that I did
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I started this book with an open mind, ready for Ray Garton to impress me. However, like most of the other books I've read by him - "The Loveliest Dead" and "Night Life" - I was fairly underwhelmed. Garton's "Live Girls" is the only one above average that has kept me coming back.

Besides not liking any of the characters in "Scissors", I felt a lot of the dialogue was unnecessary and repetitive, not adding to the characters or the story. Many passages seemed almost like filler, as if the word cou
Mike Kazmierczak
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Despite some difficulty identifying with some characters and some shifts in the story, I did like this book and would recommend it. The story follows Stuart Mullond at a particularly troublesome point in his life. Despite it being years in the past, he's still tormented by a botched operation on his penis from when he was a little boy. In fact, he starts believing that he is being followed by Dr. Furgeson, the doctor who botched things. It is very obviously creating mental problems for him as hi ...more
Paula Brandon
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really fun horror story about a guy who thinks a doctor from his childhood has returned to stalk him. Apparently this doctor wants to cut off his pee-pee! It may sound laughable, but "Scissors" has some great horror set-pieces and really ramps up the tension for the climax. Who says you can't be original these days?

And is it true that Ray Garton wrote YA thrillers in the 90s as Joseph Locke? Joseph Locke was one of my favourites from when I was younger! If so, he hasn't lost his touch!
Amy
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scissors is the story of a man whose distorted memory of a traumatic childhood medical procedure, continues to haunt him as an adult. The story took an unexpected turn toward the end, which made it more interesting. We know Molly, James, and Amelia weren't the only ones who saw inside Stuart's head. I wish we could have found out what sort of strange things Betty experienced while raising Stuart. Not my favorite by Ray Garton, but I enjoyed it.
Scott Johnson
Mar 16, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Occasionally, I read a book and wonder how it got published. I wonder how such a well-respected author could put out something so...bad. I suppose it comes from the idea that horror is subjective, what's scary to one person won't be scary to another. But in the case of Ray Garton's Scissors, the premise is so odd that the reader has a hard time staying in the story.

Scissors is the story of Stuart, an artist who works for a greeting card company. Many years ago, as a boy, his urologist performed
Elia
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Weird weird weird. And I don't normally feel that's a negative thing, but I was mostly confused and vaguely embarrassed throughout this book.

Stuart has developed a paranoid fear that a urologist he went to as a child is going to cut off his penis. He is also under the impression that this doctor did something totally inappropriate (snipped his winky with some scissors while he was conscious) in his childhood procedure to help him "pee right". He has a teenage son he's worried the doctor is goin
Jesse
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5.

Once again, Ray Garton delivers a novel with flashes of imagination, a few interesting ideas, and a vivid sense of gory grue, but when it comes to characterization, plotting, and style, he falters. It's not that it's bad, or that it doesn't make sense, it's that it makes too much sense. Rather than letting the actions of the characters speak for themselves, Garton feels the need to explain everything, to not only point out the character's motivations and feelings through the prose, but to ha
Geoff
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Robert Burnett
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Folks,

I don't know, having the tip of my penis cut off by some mad doctor, then fearing the same fate for my son, seems like a cheap way to illict thrills. Of COURSE male readers will have some kind of reaction. Just an easy and predictable one.

While a nice hardcover edition, this just doesn't live up to the eighties splatterpunk delight of LIVE GIRLS or CRUCIFAX AUTUMN (with it's celebrated and notorious abortion-by-tongue scene). Read more like an expanded short story.

I still find Mr. Garto
  • Strange Magic
  • Siren
  • Friday Night in Beast House
  • Joyride
  • In Laymon's Terms
  • Dweller
  • The Dead Parade
  • Vessels (Timmy Quinn #3)
  • The Black Train
  • The Abandoned (Harrow House, #4)
  • Desolation
  • House of Rain
  • Blind Panic (Manitou, #5)
  • Worm
20559
Ray Garton is the author of several books, including horror novels such as LIVE GIRLS (which has a movie in the works), CRUCIFAX, E4 AUTUMN, and THE FOLKS; thrillers like TRADE SECRETS and SHACKLED; and numerous short stories and novellas. He's also written a number of movie and television tie-ins for young readers. He lives with his wife, Dawn, in California.
More about Ray Garton...