Start by marking “Writing Analytically with Readings” as Want to Read:
Writing Analytically with Readings

Writing Analytically with Readings

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
WRITING ANALYTICALLY WITH READINGS is two books in one, a guide to writing with a reader, that teaches you how to have ideas and develop them in an academic setting and beyond. The writing guide offers a book-length treatment of analysis, a form of thinking and writing required in virtually all college courses. The writing guide is accompanied by a thematically-arranged co ...more
Published January 3rd 2007 by Cengage Learning (first published September 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Analytically with Readings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Analytically with Readings

Patrick Faller
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many engaging writing tools in this book, and so many tools that are less formulaic and more generative than those found in TS/IS, that I plan to continue teaching this text as long as I continue to teach. (And I plan to continue teaching as long as KSU, or any university, continues offering me classes.) I've found several of the tools useful in my own writing; I have not found a better explication of what it means to paraphrase, nor have I encountered a more useful adaptation of fo ...more
Annisa
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book if you wanna learn elementary academic writing... I learned a lot from this book
Jenny
Jul 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New or intermediate analytical writers
I haven't quite finished this book yet, but it has some valuable information in it. Like many of my fellows, I tested out of the intro-level writing classes, and this is probably one of the more unfortunate things that can happen to us, as many of us then only pick up by bits and pieces some of the elements that make good analytical writing and good rhetoric. While the tone is friendly and encouraging, the prose is nevertheless fairly dense and fairly dry, which makes for slow reading. Still, I ...more
Iraida
Aug 24, 2010 is currently reading it
Amy
Dec 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
For Argumentation, Reasoning, and Writing. After reviewing (skimming through) several texts, this looks like it might actually be a text that approximates many of the approaches and emphases I've developed over the years. Let's hope.

I hate ordering books for classes. I have such commitment issues.
Kawa Svaha
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me so long to finish. At first glance, the organisation of this textbook seems loose: the reader may not know how to apply the various techniques introduced in the first half of the book. However, the analysis of the sample papers makes everything clear and illuminating.
Jessica
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
I found this to be more than moderately helpful in writing instruction - but I wouldn't use it as my bible or anything.
Bradley Farless
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
The instruction in this book is very clear and easy to understand, with plenty of examples. It's a great book to keep on hand for future reference.
Kerry
Sep 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book beneficial. Much of it seemed obvious and I skipped over many of the exercises but it got me thinking more directly about how to read and write. A good refresher for anyone.
NWA Writing Project
Loaned to Jennifer 10/9/13
Tami
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd had this book at the beginning of my academic career.
Amy
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Trying to decide whether the readings justify the price for students--and the work it'll save me on photocopying, checking copyrights, and uploading pdfs....
More useful for instructors than for students. A good number of in-class activities to consider, and writing assignments to give to students.
Sam
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks, nonfiction
EN COMP I text. Thoughtful and interesting philosphies on writing.
Steve Blankenship
Jan 18, 2012
Braxton Gilbert
Apr 18, 2014
Danielle Shaffer
rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2014
  • On Course: Strategies for Creating Success in College and in Life
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • Becoming a Master Student
  • They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
  • Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text
  • The Portable Chaucer