Start by marking “A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)

A Bone to Pick

(Aurora Teagarden #2)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  20,501 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews
Going to two weddings—one of a former lover—and a funeral for a member of her disbanded crime study club keeps Aurora “Roe” Teagarden quite busy for a few months. Unfortunately, her personal life seems to be at a standstill—until her fortunes unexpectedly change.

After the funeral, Roe learns that Jane Engle, the deceased, has named her as heir to a rather substantial est
Published October 13th 2012 by Walker & Company (first published November 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Bone to Pick, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sabrina According to IMDB, Barbara Wallace: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4012665/?r...

·  20,501 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews

Start your review of A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Cc
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The one thing that bothers me about this website is that everyone feels the need to add a synopsis of the book; I can easily find that elsewhere. My main purpose for using this website is to find books that might appeal to me and find out what other people's perceptions are of the book, not an exaggeratory 20 paragraph synopsis.

Now that I have that off my chest I can say that Charlaine Harris is one of the best, light and fun authors out there. I seem to find myself reading her books in the su

Julie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The second in the Teagarden series. I liked this as much as the first one. Laugh out loud moments. Very fast paced. I didn't have a clue who did the deed.
Many things changed since the first book. Especially in Roe's love life. (I was disappointed a little by that) Then Roe finds out she was included in a friend's will. She's ecstatic until she makes a gruesome discovery.
Many quirky characters, some implausible conversations and events, but I don't think cozy mysteries should be analyzed too clo
Monica **can't read fast enough**
After reading A Bone to Pick, I am sure that I just do not like Aurora as a character and this series as a whole. Aurora is self centered and annoying. The actual story is a bit boring and doesn't make me want to continue the series at all, it just came off as a bland story that seems to be written for little old women who could possibly be offended by the real world and people of color. This series feels like it is written for a very conservative homogeneous audience. The two mentions of black ...more
C.
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love intelligent, natural narration and dialogue, without excess description. If we follow how protagonists feel and only what they are doing generally: I am sold. Topics don't matter. “A Bone To Pick”, 1992, didn't even need a mystery. Familiar with Aurora Teagarden from a movie and the first novel, it is enjoyable to follow the acquisition of her house. An elderly mystery buff bequeathed it to her.

Aurora's Mother onscreen protests her sleuthing and makes nay-saying noise. The original Mrs. T
Melissa
Sep 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this one. A murder mystery where the heroine never tries to investigate anything? I listened to the audiobook version, and I swear nothing happened on discs 2-4. Disc 1 was exciting as she found a skull in a house, and then the rest of the skeleton was unearthed. Then nothing happened. (She thought a lot about her new inheritance and decided to quit her job, she started dating someone new and spent a lot of time picking out outfits for their 2 dates, she shopped for a bride ...more
Dagny
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harris-charlaine
A fun read! With most of the the main characters already introduced, I enjoyed this one more than the first book in the series. There were several pages to catch us up on Roe's life since the end of the first book and then it was right on to the mystery.
☯~☽~•Patricia Mainard•~☾~☯
I actually enjoyed this book a lot. The writing was great and is an easy read to fly through in a few hours. Definitely recommend.

Karen ⊰✿
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: towerteamsvi
Charlaine Harris has a great way of exploring small towns that have something a little bit of "odd" about them. This series is c.25 years old so although there are some interestingly old fashioned ideas ( I guess the time period + the small town), it is great fun and Aurora is an easy character to like.
Not my favourite Harris series, but very enjoyable.
Daiva
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
To describe this in one sentence, I would say: Aurora Teagarden’s everyday life with some mysteries thrown in the mix, she doesn’t even look for them, they’re just there, right in front of her eyes.

Other three things to say about this book, second in the series, from me to you, fellow readers, are:

First of all, I like the title. That’s actually the thing that made me want to start reading this one quickly, without taking a break after first book in the series. ‘A Bone to Pick’ instantly catche
Michelle
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series. These early books were written in the early 90’s, but it’s not obvious except when talking about the phone. I like Roe, the main characters. She’s well written and reminds me a bit of Stephanie Plum. It’s unlikely so many murders would occur in a small town all involving Roe, but one must suspend belief for these little “cozy” mysteries to work. Can’t wait to read the next one.
Gail
Mar 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Aurora Teagarden is a lousy librarian and an irritating girl-woman. The mystery was good but she's so very irritating with her dating agita and less than humor-filled life. I know the reviewers say that these are full of humor but I don't see it. There's a level of seriousness at odds with the shallowness of the heroine.

The first 50 pages were hopeful as she mourns the death of an acquaintance and as she finds out this woman leaves her house with an amazing amount of money and a mystery in the f
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Like some reviewers have mentioned, Aurora Teagarden Mysteries are not actually mysteries. Rather, these books are about Roe's life, with a little bit of a mystery thrown in, mostly in the end of the books. I personally didn't mind that. Charlaine Harris has that special talent of describing everyday life of an ordinary person (in this case, Aurora's) and lives and gossip of a small town in a very entertaining manner. Although this series lacks uniqueness of the supernatural world described in t ...more
Susan
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series!
Barbara ★
Honestly I can't see why this is listed as a cozy mystery. There is absolutely no investigation by Aurora Teagarden. She finds a skull and re-hides it and doesn't investigate a damn thing. Oh she asks herself questions but doesn't actually ask anyone else anything. The book just plods along her boring little life and the murderer reveals himself in the last chapter. Aurora didn't actually have a darn thing to do with it. Definitely not a series I'd continue.
Richard Cardenas
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a 3.5 for me. I like the Aurora Teagarden series and I will likely read the rest of the series. It's not the best cozy series but it's fun and suspenseful. This series is more for starter cozy mystery readers because of how easy and breezy it is. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I really like Charlaine Harris's writing and I especially love her Harper Connelly series. Before you even think of reading this one go read book 1 "Real Murders". :)
Jim
About the same as the first, maybe a shade better. It's a mystery. A little romance, but mostly a fluff book. For some reason, I find them very engaging, though. Off to read the next.
Jenn
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ahhhhh...I feel like I’ve gone back in time a few years. Finally finished a book in a day :) I enjoyed this Teagarden cozy a lot more than the first one. There seemed to be less characters and I even remembered those that had been in the first book. Again, it was another plausible whodunit. I hate those that tell you the culprit and all you can say is: What?!?!?! This series apparently doesn’t do that. Well, at least two of them don’t. Let’s see if she keeps it up throughout the remainder of the ...more
Ellie Spencer
If I am completely honest, I was a little disappointed with this book. The one thing I really liked in the first book was that the story line felt unique. This one just felt like your average crime thriller.

The story follows Aurora Teagarden, after she inherits the house of someone who had also been a member of the real murders club. She finds a skull in the window seat of the house, and tries to work out who the victim and murderer are.

The one saving grace for me, was parts of Aurora’s life o
LibraryCin

Aurora Teagarden is a librarian and used to attend meetings of the Real Murders club in her town. They disbanded, but she knew (somewhat) the elderly Jane from the club. When Jane dies, Aurora is surprised to learn that Jane has left everything to her (except her cat and a bit of money). Aurora suddenly owns a small house, and has plenty of money. But, she finds an odd item in Jane’s house and isn’t quite sure what to do with or about it...

I quite enjoyed this! I really liked the guy A
Judy
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good thing I didn't check my own review of the first book in this series. I didn't think very much of it, but it was the subject matter: notorious True Crime perpetrators. I enjoyed this book and felt that the protagonist was better presented. It's a light read--sometimes I want that.
Grace
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've never listened to an audiobook before, but my mum loves them, so thought I'd give this a go. It's a very different experience, but the major issues I had with this book were plot-related, so I don't think listening on audiobook affected my rating too much.

Aurora inherits a house and a giant bank account from her friend Jane, and then gets caught up in intrigue and suspense and whatever. Both boyfriends from Book 1 are out of the picture, and an Episcopalian contender comes in from left fiel
✨ Gramy ✨
This is the second book of the series. There wasn't much mystery or assistance from Roe Teagarden in solving the crime like she did in the first book. I did enjoy getting to watch Roe's character grow and enjoy the experience of a new relationship. It was a quick and cozy read. I look forward to reading more of this series.
Nancy Ellis
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! Just an entertaining story, nothing too serious, lighthearted and fun.....even the murder. It probably helps that we never meet the victim, just his skull! I found myself laughing out loud in several parts of the story. Aurora is a riot, always managing to find a boyfriend, not quite managing a husband.....yet!
Elle
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: at-the-library
Did not enjoy this one as much. Could be I have a bone to pick but I didn't like Aurora or her thought process. She seemed like three different characters in one book. And I'm put off by the way the people of color (at least there are some, right?) are always described as black with some stupid quip after. The black real estate agent comment really got to me.
Kimberly
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Another wonderful Aurora Teagarden mystery. Roe is a great MC and the mystery was good. Having seen the Hallmark movie first, I liked the book more. Of course, that's usually the way it goes. I am definitely going to keep reading this series. :)
Kim
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this series. They are easy reads with likable characters that I can listen to while knitting and stationary biking without dropping a stitch or falling off the bike. :)
Erin
Apr 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery_cozy
Thanks for the racism.
Kelly-Marie
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I love this series and the fact there's separate murders per book with different killers! Really great read love the language and even some funny phrases used throughout the book. Could not fault it, its brilliant. I'd take these novels over the television show anytime.
C-shaw
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Roe Teagarden! 4-1/2 stars. This is such a pleasant series, and the story line in this one was especially intriguing. This series should be read in order.
Elizabeth Lapp
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
That ending though! So good!

• Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • The Devil's in the Details (Grimm Files Book 4)
  • Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen, #12)
  • Tangles and Treason
  • Garage Sale Stalker (Garage Sale Mysteries, #1)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Double Fudge Brownie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #18)
  • Cinnamon Roll Murder (Hannah Swensen, #15)
  • Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11)
  • Grave Consequences (An Emma Fielding Mystery #2)
  • Apple Turnover Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13)
  • Death Overdue (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #1)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)