Start by marking “A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)

A Bone to Pick

(Aurora Teagarden #2)

Going to two weddings—one of a former lover—and a funeral for a member of her disbanded crime study club keeps Aurora “Roe” Teagarden quite busy for a few months. Unfortunately, her personal life seems to be at a standstill—until her fortunes unexpectedly change.

After the funeral, Roe learns that Jane Engle, the deceased, has named her as heir to a rather substantial
Published October 13th 2012 by Walker & Company (first published November 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Bone to Pick, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sabrina According to IMDB, Barbara Wallace: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4012665/?r...

Start your review of A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Cc
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The one thing that bothers me about this website is that everyone feels the need to add a synopsis of the book; I can easily find that elsewhere. My main purpose for using this website is to find books that might appeal to me and find out what other people's perceptions are of the book, not an exaggeratory 20 paragraph synopsis.

Now that I have that off my chest I can say that Charlaine Harris is one of the best, light and fun authors out there. I seem to find myself reading her books in the

Julie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The second in the Teagarden series. I liked this as much as the first one. Laugh out loud moments. Very fast paced. I didn't have a clue who did the deed.
Many things changed since the first book. Especially in Roe's love life. (I was disappointed a little by that) Then Roe finds out she was included in a friend's will. She's ecstatic until she makes a gruesome discovery.
Many quirky characters, some implausible conversations and events, but I don't think cozy mysteries should be analyzed too
Monica **can't read fast enough**
After reading A Bone to Pick, I am sure that I just do not like Aurora as a character and this series as a whole. Aurora is self centered and annoying. The actual story is a bit boring and doesn't make me want to continue the series at all, it just came off as a bland story that seems to be written for little old women who could possibly be offended by the real world and people of color. This series feels like it is written for a very conservative homogeneous audience. The two mentions of black ...more
C.
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love intelligent, natural narration and dialogue, without excess description. If we follow how protagonists feel and only what they are doing generally: I am sold. Topics don't matter. “A Bone To Pick”, 1992, didn't even need a mystery. Familiar with Aurora Teagarden from a movie and the first novel, it is enjoyable to follow the acquisition of her house. An elderly mystery buff bequeathed it to her.

Aurora's Mother onscreen protests her sleuthing and makes nay-saying noise. The original Mrs.
Melissa
Sep 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this one. A murder mystery where the heroine never tries to investigate anything? I listened to the audiobook version, and I swear nothing happened on discs 2-4. Disc 1 was exciting as she found a skull in a house, and then the rest of the skeleton was unearthed. Then nothing happened. (She thought a lot about her new inheritance and decided to quit her job, she started dating someone new and spent a lot of time picking out outfits for their 2 dates, she shopped for a ...more
Dagny
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harris-charlaine
A fun read! With most of the the main characters already introduced, I enjoyed this one more than the first book in the series. There were several pages to catch us up on Roe's life since the end of the first book and then it was right on to the mystery.
☯~☽~•Patricia Mainard•~☾~☯
I actually enjoyed this book a lot. The writing was great and is an easy read to fly through in a few hours. Definitely recommend.

Karen ⊰✿
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: towerteamsvi
Charlaine Harris has a great way of exploring small towns that have something a little bit of "odd" about them. This series is c.25 years old so although there are some interestingly old fashioned ideas ( I guess the time period + the small town), it is great fun and Aurora is an easy character to like.
Not my favourite Harris series, but very enjoyable.
Michelle
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series. These early books were written in the early 90’s, but it’s not obvious except when talking about the phone. I like Roe, the main characters. She’s well written and reminds me a bit of Stephanie Plum. It’s unlikely so many murders would occur in a small town all involving Roe, but one must suspend belief for these little “cozy” mysteries to work. Can’t wait to read the next one.
Daiva
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
To describe this in one sentence, I would say: Aurora Teagarden’s everyday life with some mysteries thrown in the mix, she doesn’t even look for them, they’re just there, right in front of her eyes.

Other three things to say about this book, second in the series, from me to you, fellow readers, are:

First of all, I like the title. That’s actually the thing that made me want to start reading this one quickly, without taking a break after first book in the series. ‘A Bone to Pick’ instantly
Gail
Mar 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Aurora Teagarden is a lousy librarian and an irritating girl-woman. The mystery was good but she's so very irritating with her dating agita and less than humor-filled life. I know the reviewers say that these are full of humor but I don't see it. There's a level of seriousness at odds with the shallowness of the heroine.

The first 50 pages were hopeful as she mourns the death of an acquaintance and as she finds out this woman leaves her house with an amazing amount of money and a mystery in the
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Like some reviewers have mentioned, Aurora Teagarden Mysteries are not actually mysteries. Rather, these books are about Roe's life, with a little bit of a mystery thrown in, mostly in the end of the books. I personally didn't mind that. Charlaine Harris has that special talent of describing everyday life of an ordinary person (in this case, Aurora's) and lives and gossip of a small town in a very entertaining manner. Although this series lacks uniqueness of the supernatural world described in ...more
Barbara ★
Honestly I can't see why this is listed as a cozy mystery. There is absolutely no investigation by Aurora Teagarden. She finds a skull and re-hides it and doesn't investigate a damn thing. Oh she asks herself questions but doesn't actually ask anyone else anything. The book just plods along her boring little life and the murderer reveals himself in the last chapter. Aurora didn't actually have a darn thing to do with it. Definitely not a series I'd continue.
Richard Cardenas
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a 3.5 for me. I like the Aurora Teagarden series and I will likely read the rest of the series. It's not the best cozy series but it's fun and suspenseful. This series is more for starter cozy mystery readers because of how easy and breezy it is. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I really like Charlaine Harris's writing and I especially love her Harper Connelly series. Before you even think of reading this one go read book 1 "Real Murders". :)
Jim
About the same as the first, maybe a shade better. It's a mystery. A little romance, but mostly a fluff book. For some reason, I find them very engaging, though. Off to read the next.
Jenn
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ahhhhh...I feel like I’ve gone back in time a few years. Finally finished a book in a day :) I enjoyed this Teagarden cozy a lot more than the first one. There seemed to be less characters and I even remembered those that had been in the first book. Again, it was another plausible whodunit. I hate those that tell you the culprit and all you can say is: What?!?!?! This series apparently doesn’t do that. Well, at least two of them don’t. Let’s see if she keeps it up throughout the remainder of ...more
Judy
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good thing I didn't check my own review of the first book in this series. I didn't think very much of it, but it was the subject matter: notorious True Crime perpetrators. I enjoyed this book and felt that the protagonist was better presented. It's a light read--sometimes I want that.
Nancy Ellis
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! Just an entertaining story, nothing too serious, lighthearted and fun.....even the murder. It probably helps that we never meet the victim, just his skull! I found myself laughing out loud in several parts of the story. Aurora is a riot, always managing to find a boyfriend, not quite managing a husband.....yet!
Kim
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this series. They are easy reads with likable characters that I can listen to while knitting and stationary biking without dropping a stitch or falling off the bike. :)
Kelly-Marie
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I love this series and the fact there's separate murders per book with different killers! Really great read love the language and even some funny phrases used throughout the book. Could not fault it, its brilliant. I'd take these novels over the television show anytime.
Kimberly
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Another wonderful Aurora Teagarden mystery. Roe is a great MC and the mystery was good. Having seen the Hallmark movie first, I liked the book more. Of course, that's usually the way it goes. I am definitely going to keep reading this series. :)
C-shaw
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Roe Teagarden! 4-1/2 stars. This is such a pleasant series, and the story line in this one was especially intriguing. This series should be read in order.
Margaret
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cute-crime
I'm really loving this series.

In this one Roe has inherited a house, a fortune, and a mystery!

An absolute fun romp right for page one.

Love it.
Elizabeth Lapp
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
That ending though! So good!
Jennifer Baker
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars
Kathryn
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fun series to enjoy.
Suzanne
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was definitely not an intense type mystery, or really a huge mystery, but it was enjoyable. Aurora inherits money and a problem from a member of the now-defunct death club. I like the characters as I learn more about them, and I'm sure I'll continue with t he series.
Grace
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've never listened to an audiobook before, but my mum loves them, so thought I'd give this a go. It's a very different experience, but the major issues I had with this book were plot-related, so I don't think listening on audiobook affected my rating too much.

Aurora inherits a house and a giant bank account from her friend Jane, and then gets caught up in intrigue and suspense and whatever. Both boyfriends from Book 1 are out of the picture, and an Episcopalian contender comes in from left
Jonathan
Wow, another great book in Charlaine Harris's Aurora Teagarden Mystery series. In A Bone to Pick Roe finds herself the heir to a large estate, and unfortunately that estate comes with a human skull. Roe finds herself wondering who the skull belongs to and why it was in her seemingly harmless friend's house.

I really like the characters in this series, Roe is balanced and reminds me of the librarians in my town. Roe has a new love interest, Aubrey, who I hope we see more of in future books. He's a
Elyse
What a fun book! I breezed through it, it was very exciting. But I was soooo disappointed that the murder club was still disbanded. I thought it would be back on after the events finished in the first book. At least in the movie version they continued meeting. Jane Engle, a member of Real Murders, passes away and leaves Roe with a real mystery! And a ton of money! I enjoyed this book. The movie only gave 2 years for a body to become a skeleton. I Googled it, 8-12 years. Good job, Hallmark ...more
Play Book Tag: A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris 3 stars 1 9 May 15, 2017 07:37AM

• Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen, #12)
  • Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Garage Sale Stalker (Garage Sale Mysteries, #1)
  • Tagged for Death (Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery #1)
  • Garage Sale Diamonds (Garage Sale Mysteries, #2)
  • Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #24)
  • In the Darkest Hour (Gin Sullivan, #3)
  • The Girl with the Dachshund Tattoo (Pampered Pets Mystery #6)
  • Raspberry Danish Murder (Hannah Swensen, #22)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)
“.. what she had was hers absolutely, not to be touched by other hands without proper permission being asked and granted.” 7 likes
“No one would ever like him; he would never be accused of being unfair.” 5 likes