Start by marking “The Promise” as Want to Read:

The Promise

Young architect Michael Hillyard and artist NancyMcAllister are determined to get married despitehis wealthy mother's disapproval. Then, minutesbefore their wedding, a terrifying accident and acruel deception separate Michael and Nancy --perhaps forever. Each pursues a new life -- Nancy inCalifornia, Michael in New York. But eventuallynothing -- and no one -- can keep them ...more
Published July 1st 1989 by Dell (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Promise, please sign up.
Malissa The book is based on a screenplay, so I think there was actually a movie before the book.

Start your review of The Promise
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Promise, Danielle Steel

Young architect Micheal Hillyard and artist Nancy McAllister are determined to get married despite his wealthy mother's disapproval.

Then minutes before their wedding, a terrifying accident and a cruel deception separate Micheal and Nancy--perhaps forever. Each pursues a new life--Nancy in California, Micheal in New York.

But eventually nothing--and no one--can keep them apart as they keep their vow never to say good-bye.

عنوانها: «پیمان»، «آخرین عشق»، «بر بالهای عشق»،
Bren
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He laughed softly. “Not ‘it’s’ beautiful, silly girl. You’re beautiful. It is you,”
― Danielle Steel, The Promise

The fact that I read this (and cried) should speak of the book's power. I RARELY read romance novels. It just (usually) is not my genre . I do read romantic suspense but that is not what that is.

This is Danielle Steel..the one that Book snobs love to hate. I once knew a woman who would actually make faces at you if you told her you'd read anything by Ste el. Did I happen to mention I
Diane Wallace
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read! nice love story about forgiveness and overcoming many things..well written (paperback!)
KC
Shirley Revill
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
I read this book some time ago and I really enjoyed reading the story. Very well written and very hard to put down.
Fran
Re-read
Yep, still in love with this. I wish there was an epilogue though. :/

-----
January 28, 2014
The last time I read this was a decade ago and that was before my paperback copy was never returned to me. Luckily, I found an e-book. Thank you techy gods!

I think I decided to re-read this because I was curious to know whether or not the twentysomething me would still love it. I was only a high school sophomore then so what the heck did I know about "good" books anyway. At first, I thought it would
Pam
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Published in 1978 and my 1st DS book. Re-read and still enjoyed it. "the early morning sun streamed across their backs as they unhooked their bicycles in front of Eliot House on the Harvard campus."

Nancy, an aspiring artist and orphan, and Michael, from a wealthy background, promise to love each other always. Nancy is not who Michael's mother would choose for her son & expresses her distaste and disapproval for this relationship. Michael, has always been the dutiful son to his widowed mother but
Diya
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
First DS book I read and I was very moved and I wish there was epilogue! The book is way better than the film so much more depth and it was good read! Despite being old book it felt timeless. Michael was dead to the world when he lost the love of life and it was clear he was truly shattered and closed off. DS captured this and you can feel their pain throughout the story. The ending was sweet. A keeper for sure!
Lenny Husen
Very romantic story. I first read it at age 15 and really loved it, read it again as an adult and thought it was silly. Why wouldn't he want to look for her grave? But okay, allowing for that, and how easily the main characters get everything they want or think they want, this is a fun little romance. Danielle Steel is a dreadful writer but this book is OK, if you have to read one by her this is the least nauseating. I think she had help with this one, at least I read that that was the case.
Youmna S. El-Din
Gotta admit that at the beginning I did not like this novel much ,but as I kept on reading it just caught me with the specific details and the dramatic changes that happens to almost every character in this novel .Danielle Steel sure is a great and talented writer to write such a fascinating novel ,this was my first book to read by Danielle Steel but it sure is not going to be the last.
Laura Da Rosa
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book the Promise by Danielle Steel we are taught many life lessons, we learn that no mater what incidents happen in life it goes on and eventually you'll get through it, your taught that if you care about something or someone enough the love will never fade away. The main characters in the book Nancy and Michael are young and madly in love with each other, Michael's mother though is not a fan of Nancy and doesn't approve of her as Michael's girlfriend or wife.
Late one night they decide t
Julie Barrett
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Promise by Danielle Steel
Michael Hillard and Nancy MacAllister are to be wed but the car accident prior to the wedding
leaves others to wonder if they will keep their vow. He is an architect and she is an artist.
His wealthy mother disapproves though...They will be separated but will it keep them apart?
He is appalled that his mother have a private eye find out about Nancy's past=like it was her fault who her parents turned out to be.
On their way to get married the car crashes and he's unconsci
Redfox5
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction, usa
I've not long read 'Accident' by Steel which also featured a Car Crash as one of the main plot points. And whereas I couldn't put 'Accident' down, The Promise fell flat.

I think the problem was the characters just didn't have much personality. It was hard to care about them. I didn't find the reasons they gave for the choices they made very believable. The whole Nancy/Marie thing was weird. It was strange that she had coaching to change her voice but in the end I understood why that was in ther
Stella
First book I ever read because I was bored. I was grounded in high school and I stayed up all night to finish it. It was great! I went on to read Danielle Steel for several years. I loved the way she described the women in the stories and the places they went and where they lived. Just beautitul!
Purvika
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
o my god seriously this was my first book ever... the story the lines it was just o my god have no words .... just hooked my with love stories for ever .... i still carry the paperback copy of this bold its even smells old but when ever i look at it i remember the days i kept think abt this book ... :)
Emer (A Little Haze)
Secretly read this as a kid without my mum knowing I had taken it out of the bookcase. I have such fond memories of reading Danielle Steel under the bed covers and this was such a great, over the top read. Loved it
Nick Stewart
I'm always amazed at the lengths snooty matriarchs will go to, just to keep poor, deserving girls from marrying their sons.
Lexi
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author: Danielle Steel

Michael Hillyard and Nancy McAllister are madly in love. Michael met Nancy at a Boston Gallery where her work was being shown. She is an artist and he is a famous architect. He asked her out and fell madly in love with her. Nancy wasn't too quick to jump into a serious relationship. Her mother had left her as a young child in an orphanage. She just abandoned her. Nancy had not really healed from it. She doesn't want to trust or love anyone. Michael kept asking he
lacy
tw: rape remark, car accident

Personally I prefer the older Danielle Steel. This one was published in 1999, hence why I consider it her older work. Her older work has more of a story. Less tell and more show. The conversations amongst the characters are better. Everything about her older work is just better. But sadly, this one wasn't the best I've read.

(view spoiler)
Kathy
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-novels
A poor girl marries a rich boy and is unacceptable to her new mother-in-law. When she is in a car accident and terribly disfigured, her mother-in-law pays for her reconstructive surgery on the condition that she will disappear from her son's life. This was a TV movie (and Ms Steele wrote the books afterwards) with Kathleen Quinlan and Steven Collins.
Melanie Mole
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If you like the way Danielle Steel writes then this book should not disappoint you. It seems obvious what is going to happen near the start of the book. But what isn't so obvious is how. Some twists along the way kept me interested. Easy to read. An enjoyable read too. Will definitely read this one again several time in the future.
Adam Davis
Jul 13, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My wife and I both had our seventh grade teacher read this book to us. Years later, I was in a band with the authors son for a few weeks before he was kicked out for drug use. Oh yea, the book... It was pretty awful.
Sheila
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the very first book I read by this author and fell in love with her style of writing as I could 'picture' the story unfolding in my mind. Years later I saw the movie and although it was good I could honestly say that the book was so much better and I have been reading her books ever since.
Caitlin Blechschmidt
THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!! I READ IT IN ONE DAY I COULDNT PUT IT DOWN!!!! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BOX OF TISSUES!!!
Isis Ray-sisco
This was a reread for me. I enjoyed it as much as I did the fist time years ago. I love DS books and I am glad I agreed to do this for a buddy read.
Julie (JuJu)
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re in the mood for Romance, Danielle Steele writes some of the best!
W.I.
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Anupama Ma
a) I’m too old for this kind of drivel

b) This wasn’t drivel when it was written back in 1978

c) I’m too hardhearted and cynical to understand Love

Chances are that the right answer might be option c.

After the thundercloud of This Divided Island, I wanted some cotton candy fluffy clouds. The Promise was one of those books that Chitrakka made be get for her from V K Library. It was the rage back then. Longlongago. I think I even tried to read it as a teenager, I do have vague memories of some beads
Karen
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm pretty sure I've read many fairy tale books as a kid. But this- this is the first novel I've ever read and I was only about 8 or 9 years old that time.

This book started my love for Danielle Steel and her books. I remember crying a lot of times while reading this (especially at the ending) and going to school and telling my classmates to read it because it's so good and it's a love story and I'm such a hopeless romantic freak, blah, blah, blah. I remember how this book was passed from my Mom
Beck Frost
Ok....those first four chapters of the book had some of the worst dialogue I have ever read in a book for adults. The first chapter is supposed to be filled with the dialogue of someone who just got an advanced degree from Harvard and yet the conversations sounds like Middle School kids:

"I love you."
"I love you more."
"I love you even more."

Holy crap I kept waiting for someone to take it to infinity.

Then, the dialogue in chapter four had me wanting to put forks in my eyes. But an amazing thing ha
What's the Name o...: unknown drama romance novel [s] 6 60 Feb 06, 2014 07:02AM
Danielle Steel Bo...: The Promise 1 9 Nov 20, 2012 03:10AM
A nice book 7 49 Aug 28, 2012 12:16PM

• Danielle Steel
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Trading Places
  • November of the Heart
  • Promises
  • Whispers
  • Random Winds
  • Blessings
  • Blackmailing his Love (His Love #1)
Danielle Fernandes Dominique Schuelein-Steel was born on 14 August 1947 in New York City to a German-Jewish father and a Portuguese Catholic mother, and she spent much of her childhood in France. From an education in New York and Europe to a professional background in public relations and advertising, and teaching, Ms. Steel moved on quickly to her literary career and has been hard at work writing ...more