Start by marking “On Aggression” as Want to Read:
On Aggression

On Aggression

This work has had significant impact on the social and biological sciences and is now a classic point of reference for investigations of behavioral patterns. Lorenz presents his findings on the mechanism of aggression and how animals control destructive drives in the interest of the species. Translated by Marjorie Kerr Wilson. A Helen and Kurt Wolff Book
Published October 23rd 1974 by Mariner Books (first published 1963)

Jafar
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was written around 50 years ago. It may be one of the earlier solid attempts in sociobiology and evolutionary psychology. The subject of the book is aggression. Aggression, which is between the members of the same species, should not be confused with the predatory behavior towards the members of other species. Lorenz, one of founders of ethology, presents a detailed treatment of aggression in animals and the purposes that it serves. Then he moves on to humans. The implication is that a ...more
Abubakar Mehdi
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Lorenz, a famous ethologist and a somewhat controversial figure for his ideas, proposes that human beings, like most of other vertebrates, are inherently aggressive and this aggression is triggered by a variety of situations. Therefore, if we understand the instinctual behavior patterns in animals, we can explain a thing or two about human behavior too.
Now, this is a wonderful book. I learned about the gorgeous and aggressive coral fish, geese, rats and many amazing things about other animals.
Al
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Behavior is not excused or justified but can be explained. Human behavior is no different. Auschwitz is not a German problem, any more than Wounded Knee or the Little Big Horn white or Indian problems. Until we learn to accept the fact that these are human problems we will continue to rationalize the fact that we are dangerous predators and unlike a shark are fully aware of that fact, and choose to ignore it.
Samuel Viana
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I've know about Lorenz since I was a little boy. I remember that when he died, in 1989, the portuguese TV reminded his name in a TV documentary of some episodes about the life of the man that could made little goslings walk beside him and everyone feel fascinated by those pictures.
Konrad Lorenz ant the greylag goose
I've heard about is ideas on human behaviour some years after that and I reminded curious about the observations he have made about them, some like: the intraspecific competition and the way the aggression first appear
Karson
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Threapists, teachers, parents
The author was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for this book. It looks at the functional nature of aggression as it is found in nature in animal populations and explains much of human behavior in the context of its natural root in any society or group. It is fairly easy to read in the first few chapters, and then I experienced some interest doldrums which I am currently stuck in. However, it has so much applicable information in the first few chapters that regardless of what is left for me to read, ...more
Goodreads_user_2.0
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Konrad Lorenz proposed in “On Aggression” the theory that the violence is something good and necessary for all the animals. Self-defense would be the reason why species have developed this mechanism of behavior over the centuries. Unfortunately, Lorenz had a big knowledge about animals, but he did not understand this matter in all its complexity. Erich Fromm, in his book “The anatomy of Human Destructiveness”, made a total critique of the theories that Lorenz proposed in“On Aggression”. And, it ...more
Rita
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I started it two years ago, I felt it a bit slow, so I moved on to something else.
A few weeks ago It caught my attention again, I want to think it's me who has changed a lot in that time, because somehow the book was now incredibly interesting.
Konrad Lorenz's sense of humor and witty jokes make this book very enjoyable. The few final chapters were my favorite.
Charlie
May 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, science
There was a lot of racism here, as well as classism and sexism. The author's thought processes often seemed incomplete and were difficult to follow. Many of the chapters contained very little of the content their titles led me to expect. It felt as though the author was trying to cover too much, and as a result many of the topics that I did find interesting never received enough detail. I also wonder how much of the information and speculation about non-human animal behaviour in this book is acc ...more
Belinda
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
The info on coral fish - interesting. The info on geese - interesting and humorous. There is lots of stuff in this book about the functionality of and speaking about the adaptive value of aggression that makes a lot of sense when it comes to fish, geese and even some mammals. Though don't count on the chapters regarding human aggression telling you anything useful.
Anthony
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gateway into evolutionary biology. It takes the universal animal "condition" of aggression, a facet of the fight or flight response, that has over time become refined by social rituals and "cultures" of behaviors, and goes full-blown behavior-study-analysis into how this could occur, and further extrapolates what this means for humankind, having evolved from "lesser" (lower-tiered among certain strata) animals. The definition of aggression is important to get right here: Lorenz se ...more
Minäpäminä
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impossible to rate anything but five. Should be required reading for all human beings. One of those rare books which make you look at the world from a whole new angle. It offers countless vital insights into social existence and- even if you think man is something fundamentally different from other animals - forces one to look at many a social phenomena in a new light. Well written, absolutely riveting - and extremely important.

Lorenz makes too many fascinating points to mention, but here are th
Darren Douglas
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
While the research behind the subject deserves high praise, I couldn't help but find this book labourious. I'm wondering whether it is because of the style of writing or the time in which it was written.

The first few chapters were excellent but then it just dropped off and seemed to be repetitive.

The last chapters picked up a bit and once he started to apply his research to human behaviour it was better.

All in all, this book has left me slightly perturbed and disappointed.
Amy
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this in Jr High and really got into it. I just reread it and still loved it.

Anna Rodnishcheva
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but not practical
Kolya Kalinin
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting and useful book for understanding the nature of aggression and ways to reorient it.
Unfortunately, there are not enough chapters for me to explore human aggression for me.
But the last two chapters are beautiful anyway.
Jeannette
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this so long ago that its hard to remember details, just that it inspired me to ask deeper questions about aggression in all animals, humans included. Instinct? Gender twisted? The one idea I remember is that male bonding and aggression are linked: aggressiveness in men might be necessary for male bonding and that is important to human life. I was a graduate student with a focus on how animals form and maintain social groups when I read this book. I remember writing to David Bygott who wa ...more
Sanja Zanni
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
A very important piece of writing put together in an overly ambitious fashion.
As a science oriented individual I do agree everything stands, but the data itself is stacked up in a big cluster and not that easy to follow. Must agree with the comment Lorenz pointed out in the prologue when his friend said it wasn't clear what all of this adds up to.
But to be fair, I hoped for much more paragraphs similar to those from the last 3 chapters - a comparative approach and an analysis of humans or at l
Sunny
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
stunning book. perhaps one of the most underrated books ive ever read. a bit boring i shoud add in parts when it goes into animals and random fishes a bit too much but the ecce homo chapter is almost as good as Nietzsches book of the same name! - the book talks about how historically (cromagnon, neanderthal days) weve had vens for our agression but now in an over ritualized societies we dont have as many opportunities for catharsis. and when we do it explodes. the chapter on rats and the link to ...more
Katja
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ru, kindle, non-fiction
This books tells you a lot about aggression, what it is good for, how animals of different kinds cope with it, how it relates to love, etc. -- interesting stuff! What really impressed me were the stories about animals who turn out to be "highly emotional people of very limited intelligence" (Lorenz quoting from Oskar Heinroth). They love, can be jealous, suffer when the loved ones do not pay attention to them, get depressed or enthusiastic, feel sorrow and mourn the loss of close friends. Indeed ...more
Bria
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bria by: Ben L-T
Mostly I like to learn about the habits and behavior of animals. Humans are a pretty ok animal to learn about the behavior of, but you hear about them all the time, so it's not quite as fun, but I don't mind it as much when it's just peppered in among stories about other species. I think Lorenz has a pretty solid view of some repercussions of the fact of human biology, that some humans don't seem to understand, even now, some fifty years later.
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I was actually very bored by this book. Most of the ideas are very outdated. Often times it was very difficult to follow the point he was trying to make. Much of the behavior we know, you can find some of a base in his theories. Often he makes some of his ideas into absolutes. Any behaviorist/scientist knows there are no absolutes when it comes to other beings' behavior. Read it for fun but don't expect to get much out of it.
Steven Peterson
May 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Konrad Lorenz was one of the most eminent ethologists of his era. This book is his extended speculation about the nature of aggression. It is a good exposition of his views. However, his theoretical perspective, based on the concept of "instinct," was a bit simplistic. Nonetheless, a classic of its kind. . . .
Rose Boehm
Jul 05, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: refusing-to-read
Started it but won't read it now - if ever. It's Konrad Lorenz, of course. The master. But I have found one species that doesn't exist and it fills me with dread to think that if we are nothing more than animals (which I personally doubt), nothing will change. I mean, the famous 'human nature'. And that I can't believe.
Shira and Ari Evergreen
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: social scientists, peace activists, people interested in massive social change, anti-speciesists
Shelves: animals
This book, though it's very pre-identity politics, had a lot of excellent takeaways for me, as a peace activist. It shows how human behavior and animal behavior (humans being animals) reveal patterns that can help us understand how to break free of self-destructive and socially-destructive behaviors like war.
Cristina
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skimmed through... Much better than I expected (he is a Nobel prize winner after all) - informative, well-written (with humor! - which is to be expected based on Lorenz's praise of humor) and not at all know-it-all... I especially appreciated the idea that sport is a socially acceptable manifestation of aggression...
Bernie
Dec 11, 2012 added it
A great read if you are into human behavior and psychology. It provides an interesting perspective on violence and aggression as a natural function of survival and self preservation. He addresses aggression as a amoral force of nature as opposed to an immoral force of man. Interesting read.
Peter Brooks
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This is one of the books that started my life-long interest in evolution, sociobiology, consciousness and humanity. Of course, now much of it can be seen to old-fashioned and simply wrong, but it's nevertheless, an interesting approach.
Sal
Aug 13, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It predicts the Daily Show! And has great geese anecdotes. And the sentence "Only rarely does one see an animal in such desperation and panic, so conscious of the inevitability of a terrible death, as rat which is about to be slain by rats."
Chris Bryan
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This book explains the evolutionary benefit of aggression to a species. It can get pretty technical at times, so it's not as much fun as King Solomon's Ring. All of the case-studies are interesting, although they can be disturbing at times.
Andrew
Jun 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
this was an old text book from school and will have to re-read, what I remember most is the unique way it described the way humans interact with each other and how we set up boundaries and territories of our own individual will...

• Sociobiology: The New Synthesis
  • Good Natured: The Origins of Right and Wrong in Humans and Other Animals
  • Эволюция человека. Книга 1. Обезьяны, кости и гены
  • The Growth of Biological Thought: Diversity, Evolution, and Inheritance
  • Why Birds Sing: A Journey Into the Mystery of Bird Song
  • Рождение сложности. Эволюционная биология сегодня: неожиданные открытия и новые вопросы
  • The Territorial Imperative: A Personal Inquiry Into the Animal Origins of Property and Nations
  • The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals
  • Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics
  • Chance and Necessity
  • The Red Hourglass: Lives of the Predators
  • Eight Little Piggies: Reflections in Natural History
  • The Man in the Ice: The Discovery of a 5000-year-old Body Reveals the Secrets of the Stone Age
  • Origins of Life
  • Right Hand, Left Hand: The Origins of Asymmetry in Brains, Bodies, Atoms and Cultures
  • In The Blink Of An Eye: How Vision Sparked The Big Bang Of Evolution
  • Locust: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Insect that Shaped the American Frontier
  • The Wisdom of Birds: An Illustrated History of Ornithology
Konrad Zacharias Lorenz was an Austrian zoologist, ethologist, and ornithologist. He shared the 1973 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Nikolaas Tinbergen and Karl von Frisch. He is often regarded as one of the founders of modern ethology, developing an approach that began with an earlier generation, including his teacher Oskar Heinroth.
Lorenz studied instinctive behavior in animals, espec
“Historians will have to face the fact that natural selection determined the evolution of cultures in the same manner as it did that of species.” 3 likes
“Scientific truth is universal, because it is only discovered by the human brain and not made by it, as art is.” 3 likes