Start by marking “Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World” as Want to Read:
Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World

Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World

As the former chairman and CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers, author Michael Hyatt gained insight on the importance of combining compelling products with a meaningful platform. Now, with nearly three hundred thousand followers on Twitter, his large and growing platform serves as the foundation for his own successful writing, speaking, and business coaching practice. In this ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Thomas Nelson (first published May 1st 2012)

Start your review of Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World
Isaac Samuel Miller
Great terse advice.

This tome is definitely a useful tool. I enjoyed the simplicity and the direction of the a writing. Some of the material was repetitive. Maybe, 50pages of the book weren’t necessary. The Author conveys some of the same ideas in the beginning, middle, and end of the book. If you’re an author or a blogger; you will enjoy this book...
Matthew Bennett
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Video comment here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmrtZY...

Amongst all the hype of a vanguard internet mega-book launch by Michael Hyatt (124,000 Twitter followers; 400,000 blog readers/month), the chairman of Thomas Nelson publishing (the 6th largest US book publisher, Nº1 Christian publisher) on the subject of `how an author might use the internet to broadcast his message', it's clearly difficult to separate the book (Platform) from the man (massive levels of experience) and the marketing cam
Gisela Hausmann
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Michael Hyatt's book "Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World" stresses the well-known credos -

"... Create products you would personally use - Create products that solve problems in unexpected ways - Create products that exceed your customers’ expectations..."
"... What is the product or experience I want to create or transform into a wow? The customer’s lobby experience. 2. How will the customer feel as a result of this experience? (In other words, what is the specific outcome we want to create?)
Elizabeth
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to build a speaking, writing or social media platform.
Building a platform is essential. As a writer, I've heard that a million times. Maybe more. The exhortation usually comes with a few specifics: blog, engage on Facebook and Twitter. Until now I've been following that advice blindly, doing what is required to participate in a changing industry.

But, now I have a secret weapon--A platform-building coach in the form of Michael Hyatt's book, Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World.

Platform took me beyond the bullet points and provided a blueprint for
J.F. Penn
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneur
I've been reading Michael Hyatt's blog for a number of years, so I thought that I wouldn't get too much from the book. But it is definitely a fantastic read, whether you are a newbie online or someone who is more experienced. I have read many branding and marketing books and experimented with my own platform online but I wrote 10 pages of notes from this book and have a long To Do list of things I need to improve. This will help you audit where you are right now and target where you want to get ...more
Thomas Umstattd Jr.
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great overview of marketing and platform building. This book is scannable and a great resource as either a reference or a straight read. The book is very blog and Twitter centric and even Hyatt admits he doesn't quiet get Facebook.

Many social media books are full of lots of fluffy stories and little in real take away. This book is different, it goes light on the fluff and high on the take away tips.

Platform gets 4 stars only because Facebook is too big to ignore and because this book ignores F
Douglas Wilson
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, and found a lot of areas for practical application. There were some typical business rah-rah sections, but in the main this was very worthwhile.
Taylor Johnson
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel weird giving this book a rating. My 5 stars reflects where I’m at personally at the moment. A year from now? 5 months from now? Who knows. I might have a totally different opinion or see more flaws in the whole thing.

This book helped me think through a lot of what I need to do in my...business?...brand? I hate calling it either of those things. It made the steps I need to take look a lot less daunting. I’ve been freaked out at all the work ahead of me but Hyatt is so good at making the pa
Kawania Wooten
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is filled with great tips. I listened to the audiobook, but I am purchasing the hardcopy so that I can make notes and highlight several of the points I considered very valuable. Since it was written in 2012, I think the author needs to write a new edition and pair down the big focus on Twitter.
Sandeep
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read and playbook for anyone creating a personal brand, blog, or online business. Michael Hyatt reveals all his strategies and tips on how he was able build an effective audience online to his products and vision.

It a book that highlights on how one can not only attract an audience, but also build a passionate loyalty through giving value to others by finding the most powerful ways to get your messages to others who can benefit from it. To build a platform today, Hyatt argue
Ryan Manganiello
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
In my opinion there were just way too many chapters based on Twitter, a service I don't personally use, so I guess I'm being a little biased towards all that much paper being dedicated to it.

The author admitted his distaste for Facebook, but obviously new very little about it. His rant which was mostly negative pertaining to Facebook was extremely outdated, considering the fact that this book was just released not too long ago. Referring to Facebook Pages as what were once called Fan Pages in hi
Chris Johnson
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good primer on being "old school," and launching a product or service in today's world.

It's not flashy, it's not "whiz bang," but instead it's methodical, plodding and doable. I have successfully done - then abandoned - so many of these techniques that I looked to get motivated to rebuild that platform.

So there.
Honoree
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: success-reads
I read this book at the suggestion of Hal Elrod, author of best-selling book The Miracle Morning. It did not disappoint: a nice mix of practical advice and story, it lays out the how-to for creating a platform for one's books and brand. Well done.
Josh Steimle
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great, practical book on how to promote your business. I just relaunched my personal blog and am going to do an experiment and try all his suggestions to see what happens.
Andy Littleton
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're looking to build an online audience, you'll find this book very helpful.
Karen Wingate
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
" . . .in a global economy crowded with millions of competitors, quality is just the beginning." So says Michael Hyatt on the book jacket of his information packed book, "Platform: How To Get Noticed In A Noisy World." I wish I'd read this book four years ago when I first bought it. On the other hand, perhaps I wasn't ready for it back then. Now that I have my own website, am regularly blogging, and involved on social media, I have a better understanding of all that Mr. Hyatt discusses and can e ...more
Mike Collins
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was recommended this book from some other church leaders who said it would help with creating an online marketing strategy. I would say that the book did a fair job in doing that. Truly, this book is an excellent choice for anyone who has a blog or online business and wants to be more purposeful in using social media. The first few chapters that talk about creating a wow factor are probably worth the entire book.

What’s also helpful is the book doesn’t have to be read sequentially-the chapters
Samantha
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is packed full of so much information that it just starts feeling redundant. Especially the section about using Twitter, I think it had a great idea behind it but unfortunately this section became very repetitive. I listened to the audiobook version of this title and was underwhelmed. I was hoping for explanations in a different way than they were presented.
Sebastian Hetman
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Filled with valuable advice that's easily actionable. However, enough time has passed since the book's release in 2012, that I'd welcome a refreshed version.
David Fiori
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
All common sense nothing special literally a waste of time
Annie
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
For professional bloggers and wannabes. High tech references mixed with common sense basics but readable. A nearly impossible DIY. Makes me wonder if we are on the edge of techies decluttering this process. Needs to happen. Like washing clothes on rocks and then... the washing machine! Please someone.
Joe Sewell
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Disclosure: I won this book in a blog contest, but in no way was I required to leave a good review.

As a big name in publishing, Michael Hyatt seems like the kind of person a writer wanting to be a published writer would want to hear. You get an "insider's view" of things. Platform does this to a degree, though I found myself washing from an encouraging "hey, I can do that" to a discouraged "I can't afford to do that!"

Hyatt encourages lists, so here, to the best of Goodreads' ability, is my bulle
Vassilena
Boy, has this one aged! Most of the advice you'll find in it is pretty much accepted as a standard practice now. Part of it has aged and may even be detrimental to new readers - like that bit about writing short and snappy blog posts instead of creating meaty pieces with lots of reader value.

Overall, it may be a nice read for someone just starting out in the world of digital personal branding (that's why I'm giving it 2 stars). For everyone else, it's a completely skippable read (that's why for
Evelyn Puerto
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World is the book I’ve been waiting for, the book I wish I read years ago.

As the second subtitle states, author Michael Hyatt lays out “a step-by-step guide for anyone with something to say or sell.” Clearly, concisely and in easy-to-understand prose, Hyatt gives instructions from product development, launch, and marketing.

I found the chapters on using social media especially helpful. Hyatt shares what worked for him and gives helpful guidelines. For example, the
James
So in this book Michael Hyatt mentions he's the author of four books including another book on the NYTimes bestseller list, only he doesn't mention what they are. I looked into his back catalog to see what they were. Two of them were alarmist warnings about the coming computer meltdown, Y2K (published in the late 90s). The other book (which Hyatt does mention) was a book about guarding your family's privacy in an internet age.

This book is different than that. It is a business book designed to h
Rachel Blom
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-on-writing
I'm a big fan of Michael Hyatt and I bought this book as soon as it came out. I just hadn't gotten around to actually reading it. It's a practical book on building a platform and getting noticed, for instance as a writer, blogger, or public speaker. There is a ton of how to advice on many things, ranging from social media to building a blog audience and more. However, the book wasn't as good as I had expected and there were two major issues:
1. Michael Hyatt has the luxury of building a platform
Chris Munson
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career, social-media
Platform is an in-depth step-by-step look at how to develop a social media presence. Michael Hyatt has taken many of his former blog posts on the subject of building a social media platform, cleaned them up, added to them and put them together into this great how-to guide. This results in the book being broken up into around 60 very short chapters. Each chapter is brief and to the point and the content is divided up into bulleted lists, numbered lists and specific action items. This means that y ...more
Steve Sanderson
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm a first time writer (just finished my novel), and I picked up the audiobook version.

There's good stuff in here, but the book's geared towards people who want to generate revenue, or create bigtime buzz from their blogs, from their online presence. Some of this applies to me, and the parts that were geared towards the business side of things I skipped.

The author has a distracting habit of making lists to keep things readable and easy to digest. I don't know how these play out on the page, but
Joseph McBee
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is easy to read and incredibly practical. If you are trying to launch anything, whether it is a business, a non-profit, a ministry, or a creative project you will need a platform from which to launch it. This book should be your go-to resource for building that platform.

Here is how you can utilize this excellent resource:

1. Read it through, cover-to-cover.

2. Read it with a highlighter in your hand and mark passages and tips that are particularly relevant to you and what you are trying
Jay
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
Nice collection of tools and practices for using social media to spread your word. Many of these books feel dated in short order, but this seemed pretty current at the two year mark. If you haven't created a blog/Twitter/Facebook presence for commercial use, this is a great primer, and worth it to pick up for reference. I noticed this focuses strongly on the individual or the company owner, and not so much to the employee making his statement as a part of a company. Still, even for that kind of ...more
Creative Business...: Platfrom and Introductions 3 7 Mar 29, 2019 07:38AM
World, Writing, W...: Buddy read? 25 19 May 07, 2016 01:42AM
5 Question Survey for Authors 1 12 Dec 04, 2013 08:19AM

• The Accidental Creative: How to Be Brilliant at a Moment's Notice
  • The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life
  • Artist Trading Card Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: 14 Amazing Authors Tell the Tales