Start by marking “Redirecting Children's Behavior” as Want to Read:
Redirecting Children's Behavior

Redirecting Children's Behavior

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Their kids aren't following the rules and your customers say they're sick and tired of it? They complain that every conversation ends in a power struggle?Parents looking for a new approach to discipline should open up Redirecting Children's Behavior. Jack Canfield calls it the best book on parenting he'd ever read -- and your customers will understand why when they see the ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Parenting Press (first published November 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Redirecting Children's Behavior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redirecting Children's Behavior

Sonya Feher
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
I really liked parts of this book: her questions about parental motivations for punishment p. 45, eight ways to teach values p. 55 - 56, her list of guidelines for parental behavior (though I strongly disagreed with her application) p. 121, logical consequences worksheet p. 137, and looking at the results of discipline p. 141-2. All of them are worth taking the time to look at.

However, she doesn't seem at all consistent with her own philosophy. For instance, even though she says she's against t
Sierra
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did not agree with every single piece of advice in the book but I found the general message and concrete recommendations to be useful for parenting and teaching.
The author starts with saying that in order to be a good parent, you need to take care of yourself, which includes leading a balanced life and figuring out what you want to happen. The second chapter is about encouraging your child, including by learning from, and learning how to repair mistakes. In the third chapter, the author descr
Natalie
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short and to the point. Excellent and practical advice.
Weldon Sacro
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Because of this book, I developed a wider perspective in terms of disciplining children.
Rachelle Dodson
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
The nice takeaway from this book is to be aware of, and in control of, your attitude and words. Be intentional in the way you speak to and deal with your children and that in itself can cause a big change. Beyond that, some of the examples were just a little too simplified for real life, and the viewpoints on things like depression and mental illness were glazed over to the point of being insulting. Depression was basically described as the habit of being sad and attention seeking, like people c ...more
Joanna
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that I most refer to and rely on when I have quesions about parenting. The techniques and philosophies behind Redirecting Children's Behavior are so healthy and honest that I wish I could just incorporate the whole thing into my head. Do they have cult that I could join? It is such a thoughtful and respectful approach for both the child and adult. It is a parenting approach that leaves room for honest emotion.
Jane
Nov 20, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: anyone who has kids or parents
Recommended to Jane by: parent wise austin
Nothing earth shattering.
Give kids choices.
Be consistent.
it's an easy read, I checked it out of Family Connections Library on Friday and am about done. Not reading every word.
I wasn't sure I'd like it, thought it might be too "something" for me, but it is refreshingly common-sense.
Charline
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think every parent should read this book. The best book about parenting so far I've read. If parent read this book and put it to use, the world would be a better place. Now let's see if I can change some of my habits ;-)
Sheralyn
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book along with a parenting class I took last spring - has some very interesting points about parents and helps you understand your child's motives. Definitely worth a read - with or without the class.
Janece
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting-books
I don't do much reading at all when it comes to "parenting books" - but this one has given me tools again and again. I keep rereading portions here and there when various challenges come up with my curly-headed wonder.
Kimberly Lo medico
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful. I had the opportunity to meet and speak with Kathryn J Kvols recently in Southern Florida at the "It Takes A Village To Raise A Child" Parenting Conference. She is a lovely woman with a great energy about her. I knew her book would give the same feel.
Diana Heiman
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal in dealing with people of all ages! It was recommended to me, when dealing with my husband....marriage is tough...and EVERYONE can use tips on how to communicate or "re-direct"!
Molly
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent reference for any parent. I found it helpful in guiding my son to have good decision making abilities. I hope to keep up the practice so he will turn out to be the independent and strong person I envision.
Jessica
Dec 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I think I will be reading this book forever...over and over, bits and part everyday.
Amanda Jovaag
Sep 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really like this parenting book. Need some inspiration lately.
Academic Eric
Apr 04, 2014 marked it as want-to-read-more
"...Best book on parenting I've read!" Jack Canfield
Jodie
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I must own it and will refer to it often. It epitomizes the parent I want to be.
Pam
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is not just for children. It is for insightful for self and other adults you relate to. A true gift in my life. I highly recommend the workshops which are offered all around the country.
Crystal
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Clear, concrete, sensible. From an "authoritative" parenting point of view. A how-to guide. Definitely recommend.
Kim
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
this is a favorite. All good things, boiled down to one book and it's only a little over 100 pages. I've renewed it 3 times. I'm going to be forced to buy it!
John Sorensen
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I had promised Caroline that I would read this bool.
Deirdre
Jun 25, 2014
Joe
Jul 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 (Medications and Mother's Milk)
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Natural and Conventional Treatments for Infants and Children
  • Your One-Year-Old: The Fun-Loving, Fussy 12-To 24-Month-Old
  • If You Really Loved Me: 101 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
  • Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way
  • Failure to Connect: How Computers Affect Our Children's Minds – and What We Can Do About It
  • How Babies Talk: The Magic and Mystery of Language in the First Three Years of Life
  • Discipline That Lasts a Lifetime: The Best Gift You Can Give Your Kids: Dr. Ray Answers Your Frequently Asked Questions
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon
  • Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People
  • The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • Parenting with Grace: Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids
  • The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk: Foreword by Martha Sears, RN
  • I Love You Rituals