Start by marking “Getting to Maybe: How the World Is Changed” as Want to Read:
Getting to Maybe: How the World Is Changed

Getting to Maybe: How the World Is Changed

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A practical, inspirational, revolutionary guide to social innovationMany of us have a deep desire to make the world around us a better place. But often our good intentions are undermined by the fear that we are so insignificant in the big scheme of things that nothing we can do will actually help feed the world's hungry, fix the damage of a Hurricane Katrina or even get a ...more
Published August 7th 2007 by Vintage Canada (first published September 5th 2006)

Leslie
Apr 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
The moment you quote Mary Oliver's poem "Wild Geese" and try to act like it's about the momentum of social movements is the moment I stop reading your book and throw it at the bleeping wall.

(This was the last straw of many egregious assaults on poetry.)

(Besides that, I found it trite, redundant, and criminally simplistic.)
Clivemichael
Inspiring discussion of social change as force for transformation. I recommend this for all social innovators, visionaries and anyone interested in creating or transitioning change in the world today. Well presented, written and articulated with numerous appropriate examples to encourage and inspire passionate engagement where ever one has juice.
from the notes "While traditional evaluation judges mistakes and unattained objectives as failures, developmental evaluation treats them as learning op
maddi1134
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book on social innovation! So many interesting stories from both the private and public sectors. This book sparked insightful conversations on both my personal and professional life.
Shashwat Singh
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book is alright.
Soph
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a five-star work related read that is deserves the rating for its role in enabling an accessible understanding of complexity, and how we can get to "maybe" on social issues.
Drick
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This may be one of the most enlightening books on social change I have read in a long time. The authors are long time activists and students of what they call "social innovation" which they describe in numerous ways are efforts to bring about significant transformation in commonly established practices. In the preface it says: "this book is for flawed people.... who are not happy with the way things are and would like to make a difference". The preface begins by describing former Czech president ...more
Mook
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
After the tumultuous year of 2016, it seems fitting that the first book I finished this year was Getting to Maybe. This is not the first time I have read this book. I read it for a class in my third year of university and I did not understand it at all. How was this book supposed to help people initiate social change? Why was everything described in metaphors? It was too vague, too unconnected to my life. It didn't provide answers, and it didn't inspire me, so I felt it was something of a failur ...more
Peter
Many uplifting stories here and much encouragement. Boiled down to less than the sum of its parts the message is this: Social change is hard, but the need for it never ends, so keep trying because change comes from the oddest places, and every helpful action, no matter how small, pushes in a positive direction. If enough snowflakes fall on a branch, it will bend and eventually break (or, not mentioned, the snowflakes will all slide off …).

About reading the origin story of micro lending in Bangla
Alberto Venturini
I was initially drawn to this book by a talk on complexity by Brenda Zimmerman that I watched on YouTube. I was hoping the book would expand on the topics discussed by Dr. Zimmerman, which I found very interesting. The book (co-authored by Zimmerman) does discuss Complexity Theory, but just briefly, in an initial chapter. The rest of the book is composed by a series of chapters that contain recommendations to social innovators and facilitators of social innovation (e.g. policy makers).

I think th
Niral
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
With the emphasis on complexity science, parts of this book reminded me of Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise. There are nuggets of wisdom in this book that I found useful, especially that it's useful to reflect on the underlying "rules" of a given system that give rise to the nature of the phenomena within that system. Other design principles cited are not particularly new, but that doesn't mean that they aren't useful. That said, there's a lot of fluff in this book, and I found that I was ...more
Kwesi Brookins
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanna change something important? Read this first.

I love stories and this book provides a framework for engaging in what they call social innovation through the stories of people's successes and failures in trying to do the same. Some people everyone knows, others not. I'm still seeking to determine how this book is applicable to the big problems of racism, for instance, that span local or even national contexts. But I think they authors would say that is probably the wrong way to think about it
Philippe
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: systems-thinking
Yet another take on managing change in a complex world, this time from the vantage point of social entrepreneurs and activists. Complexity theory serves as a (metaphorical) background to illuminate and deepen concepts. The book is littered with case studies, the vast majority of them from a North American realm. There are some interesting bits on 'developmental evaluation', a theme that is elaborated in much more detail in Michael Quinn Patton's eponymous book. I'd give it 3,5 stars.
Yuting
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
A good companion book to books and reading material on systems theory and complexity theory. Lots of cases sited and examples which can be useful real world references.

You will not learn systems theory or complexity theory by reading this book. It is more about how those theories are used in real world situations.
Gifty
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to anybody who has ever wondered why things have to be the way they are and what they can do to make it better. I really enjoyed this book because it wasn't one that sells you false hope about your personal ability to change the world, but rather it provides guidelines an
Udai
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
I think this book would be a lot more valuable for someone who is actually trying to take an innovative non-profit idea off the ground. Otherwise, it presents a lot of interesting ideas in a very lose framework, and I found most of it difficult to retain.
Morenike
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Getting to Maybe was a good, inspiring introduction to social innovation. I particularly found the stories used to explain complexity theory useful. It is a good summary and overview of social innovation and systems thinking.
Peg
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
A bit longer than it needed to be, but lots of wonderful examples of how people bring about change by using not-the-usual tactics in highly complex situations where linear, strategic planning just doesn't work. Really enjoyed it, lots of good things to think about.
Dana
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Bits and pieces of inspiration for the community organizer, non-profit crowd. But structure is poor and the examples become unnecessary after awhile. Would have made a better essay than book.
Brendan Chard
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting view of the motivations and challenges facing social innovators. Illustrates a great wasy to look at the differences between simple, complicated, and complex risks.
Murf
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite all time "pop psych" books. I think about it all the time - also a fabulous introduction to chaos theory.
Joe
Jan 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Interesting, but only relevant if you're a philanthropist or leading a social welfare non-profit.
Lana
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
People who feel called to change their little piece of the world are always inspiring to me! This book is filled with ideas of things that others can do to help in service to their communities.
April Doner
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone i know
rocking my world. deep and sharp and gentle and inspiring.
no time to elaborate.
Kara
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This was ok, ultimately not as empowering or helpful as I hoped. An easy intro to complexity theory and dealing with complex problems for those not familiar with the field.
Romaniagirl
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite nonfiction books, I've read it several times. It speaks to my line of work and I find it quite inspirational.
Cathy
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Very well written, easy to understand and applicable. Inspirational and very, very helpful! Love it! Would recommend that everyone read it.
Margaret Yu
Jul 14, 2016
Kristina Lugo
Jan 10, 2010
Lindsey Smith
May 20, 2016
Dec 13, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bitter Chocolate: Investigating the Dark Side of the World's Most Seductive Sweet
  • The Abundant Community: Awakening the Power of Families and Neighborhoods
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Me to We: Finding Meaning in a Material World
  • Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate
  • Whose Reality Counts?: Putting the first last
  • Sick Societies
  • Brilliant Green: The Surprising History and Science of Plant Intelligence
  • Poor People's Movements: Why They Succeed, How They Fail
  • Data-ism: The Revolution Transforming Decision Making, Consumer Behavior, and Almost Everything Else
  • Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine Their Potential
  • The Rebirth of Nature: The Greening of Science and God
  • Exodus: How Migration Is Changing Our World
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • Cities and the Wealth of Nations
  • The Transition Handbook: From oil dependency to local resilience
  • Walk Out Walk On: A Learning Journey into Communities Daring to Live the Future Now

“Allows for imperfection - in yourself and others.” 0 likes
“When an individual behaves in a way that is either too good or too bad it suggests that he has repressed, edited out, or rejected parts of his human nature. Both the bully and the saint have lost a sense of proportion.” 0 likes