Start by marking “Begin Again: Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
Begin Again: Collected Poems

Begin Again: Collected Poems

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A longtime teacher, activist, feminist, and masterful writer of short fiction and essays, Paley is also an accomplished poet. Combining her two previous collections with unpublished work, Begin Again traces the career of a direct, attentive, and always unpredictable poet. Whether describing the vicissitudes of life in New York City or the hard beauty of rural Vermont, whet ...more
Published March 14th 2001 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Begin Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Begin Again

nicole
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE - especially new yorkers
Shelves: poetry
The late Grace Paley was an incredibly gifted poet. She had the kind of voice that comes along only every once in a while. With a deep social conscience, Paley crafted poems that speak to people about events, places, and ideas that people speak of. She does not grope listlessly into an ethereal space where many poets tend to go--she addresses the tough issues of her time (war, that's a big one) and inquires into them, asking the questions we all ask. She is not just the voice of a generation, sh ...more
Grete
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Enjoyed the situatedness of these poems, the way they grow out of Paley's environment. Simple, vital language. Social consciousness that produces something more enduring than time-bound protest pieces (most of the time, anyway). Echoes of song patterns. Love of the body, nature, and humanity. Unsentimental family stories, rich in grief and humor.
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism, poetry
Wonderful book of poetry! I found myself dog- earing my favorites and by the time I finished the book was in quite a state! Paley blends humor with heart-wrenching honesty in an elegant simplicity that makes her poems both accessible and beautiful.
Kristen
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
She has a sly sense of humor that I love. For example, the poem, "The Sad Children", which she writes after a visit from her adult children who have spent the time criticizing everything. Pretty great.
Nick
Jan 06, 2011 marked it as to-read
Winter is my time for poetry.
secondwomn
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
i truly fell in love with the ease of Paley's language. her mastery of rhythm is both daunting and inspiring. these are the everyday poems of a storyteller, and they speak to my heart.
chris
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
peacenik anarchist poet, no pretension
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I love the way she so expertly braids together beautiful language; heart-wrenching, as well as joyful, feelings; and her political beliefs.
jo
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-enough, poetry
i tried to stick it out, but paley's poetry doesn't speak to me.
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Great author and writing style. I just didn't pick up on the poetry on a deep level.
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry
  • Dorothy Parker's Elbow: Tattoos on Writers, Writers on Tattoos
  • The Life of Poetry
  • Duende
  • Poems from Guantanamo: The Detainees Speak
Grace Paley was an American short story writer, poet, and political activist whose work won a number of awards.
More about Grace Paley...