Start by marking “The Cruise of the Rolling Junk” as Want to Read:
The Cruise of the Rolling Junk

The Cruise of the Rolling Junk

Tales of Scott and Zelda roadtripping, finally back in printIn an early series of journalistic pieces forMotor magazine, F. Scott Fitzgerald described a journey he took with his wife Zelda from Connecticut to Alabama in a clapped out automobile which he called the "Rolling Junk." It is a piece of writing whose style, in free-ranging alternation of fact and fiction, has ...more
Published November 17th 2011 by Hesperus Press (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Cruise of the Rolling Junk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cruise of the Rolling Junk

Start your review of The Cruise of the Rolling Junk
Tosh
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such a small book one can fit it in their back pocket, yet, this small object had a profound affect on me. Written as a magazine piece for the upscale Saturday Evening Post, the article eventually found a home in a less prominent publication - a car magazine.

Originally written as a serial, "The Cruise of the Rolling Junk" is 'On the Road' for F. Scott Fitzgerald and his somewhat nutty but beautiful wife Zelda. One morning Zelda had a passion to have fresh biscuits and peaches from her natural
Sophie VersTand
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: klassiker
Falls ihr von Fitzgerald vielleicht schon mehr als ein Buch last und den starken autobiografischen Einfluss mochtet, dann werdet ihr mit "Die Straße der Pfirsiche" auf jeden Fall große Freude haben.
In dem 150-seitigen Büchlein erwarten einen 4 Texte.
Die erste beschreibt Zeldas und Scotts Reise in ihrem alten klapprigen Auto, daher auch der Originaltitel "The Cruise of the Rolling Junk". In sehr überspitzter Form wird hier die 1200 Meilen lange Reise des jungen Ehepaars zum Elternhauses Zeldas
Sina & Ilona Glimmerfee
Natürlich musste ich als 'Fan' der Fitzgeralds dieses Buch lesen. Das Cover alleine finde ich großartig und es passt so gut zu meinen beiden tragischen Helden.

Dieses Buch ist ein Reisebericht, der davon erzählt, wie Zelda eines Morgens Pfirsiche will und Scott beschließt mit ihr in ihre Heimat (die Südstaaten) zu fahren. Tausend Meilen liegen vor ihnen und die bringen sie hinter sich in einem rollenden Schrotthaufen. Autopannen vorprogrammiert.

Ich habe es gerne gelesen. Natürlich, habe ich
Vicki
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
If F. Scott Fitzgerald had a tumblr, this would be what would be in it.
Mark Taylor
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Going on a cross-country road trip in 1920 would have been a rather harrowing proposition. Cars were unreliable, roads were often unpaved, and travel at night was not very safe. Nevertheless, despite these obstacles, in July of 1920 F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald struck out on a road trip from their home in Connecticut to Zelda’s parents’ house in Alabama. Ostensibly the reason for the trip was so Zelda could taste peaches and biscuits again. Thus began an eight day journey, complete with flat ...more
João Duarte
É um prazer tão grande quando descobrimos perdido num alfarrabista um título do qual ouvimos falar em tempos, e a preço irrisório.

"A Viagem da Velha Sucata" não é o texto mais famoso de F. Scott Fitzgerald, até porque resulta do agrupar de textos para um jornal.

A premissa de base foi uma impulsiva viagem que Scott Fitzgerald e a sua mulher Zelda empreenderam desde o norte dos Estados Unidos da América, onde viviam, até Montgomery, nos estados do sul, onde Zelda crescera. A viagem que começou
Liz Weasleyhead
Das Buch war zwar sehr unterhaltsam für zwischendurch, konnte mich aber leider nicht so sehr überzeugen, wie die anderen Geschichten, die ich bisher von F. Scott Fitzgerald gelesen habe :( der Essay von seiner Frau hat mir auch leider gar nicht zugesagt :( aber ich fand das Nachwort von Alexander Pechmann richtig super ...more
Michael de Percy
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't help notice the familiarity of images that seem to lay the groundwork for The Great Gatsby. Each mention of "Dr. Jones's Guide Book" and I couldn't shake the image of the "eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg" on the billboard opposite the Wilson's garage. Elements of the character of Daisy Buchanan can be glimpsed in Fitzgerald's portrayal of Zelda driving and skiving. It is a fascinating account of the beginnings of the golden age of the automobile. Regrettable that it sold for a pittance yet ...more
Mara
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Racconto delizioso, antesignano dei racconti on the road " .. essere giovani,destinati alle colline lontane,andare dove la felicità è appesa ad un albero...inseguire le strade bianche dall'alba al levarsi della luna...."

Nato per una rivista di viaggi, respinto piu' volte e piu' volte adattato e tagliato per esser finalmente pubblicato. Secondo l' autore era stato concepito per fare soldi e non letteratura,ma tanto di cappello al genio di Scott Fitzgerald.

Eric
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
Fitz had a wonderfully engaging writing style. If you've ever taken a long road trip, you'll relate, but road conditions were much more primitive back then and the cars extremely unreliable. All in all a rollicking road trip, but Fitz is somewhat of a ditz when it comes to mechanical issues and otherwise. His impressions of blacks will give you pause.
Jill Atkins
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel like I should say I am a huge Fitzgerald fan, there's really nothing the man wrote that I dislike before giving my opinion on this little book. I buy anything I can find in a used bookstore written by Fitzgerald and this was one of those purchases where I double checked to make sure it was written by him. I had never heard of it before and I wasn't particularly interested in the topic.

It was a quick read, a book that I only read a few pages here and there for a week. It's very typical
Matt
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I almost skipped over the prologue, but my guilt at having marked 30 pages as read on Goodreads whilst only actually, at that point, reading about 10 propelled me back to the beginning. However, I’m glad I did. Paul Theroux and Julian Evans had some very enlightening and insightful thoughts on how the apparently spontaneous and fateful journey Scott and Zelda took in the early years of their marriage paved the way for the often tragic and short lives that followed after.
Evans also highlighted
Catherine
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read...I just wish it was longer! I haven't read Fitzgerald in a long time and this was a good reminder of how talented he is. His writing is truly beautiful and the story of him and Zelda on their road trip is just sweet and real...clearly the calm before the storm of their relationship.
Maurizio
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il “Rottame Vagante” è l’unica testimonianza di Scott Fitzgerald nei panni di scrittore di viaggi. Un racconto on-the-road, un diario di bordo di un epico viaggio da Westport (Connecticut) a Montgomery (Alabama).
Henry Ca
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sinceramente, recomiendo esta pequena obra. Es hilaricamente divertida e ingeniosa, lo simple lo convierte en complejo y viceversa. Es interesante como una simple travesia de la vida diaria puede dar tanto material literiario ingenioso.
Alan
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Amanda
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
If you didn't know Scott and Zelda's ultimate tragic history, and you weren't bothered by casual racism, this book would be a real romp!
Katherine Spivey
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh.
Tan Jing Ling
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The road trip aboard the rolling junk is one that is imaginative, idealistic and romantic. Fitzgerald's prose is certainty thrilling and picturesque.

Over and above the brilliancy of his writing, one can distill many residues of the post-war American culture, dreams and despairs from the novel. Post-war America was as much a rolling junk as Fitzgerald's Expenso. It had an accelerating economy and a proliferating population, much strengthened after WWI. Yet, it was plagued by socio-political
Lauren
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Hablando de su desenfadado estilo de vida, podemos verlo reflejado en este pequeño diario de aventuras. Un buen día, a Fitzgerald y Zelda, su mujer, se les ocurre realizar un largo viaje en carretera para sorprender a los padres de Zelda.

El recorrido, desde Nueva York a Montgomery (Alabama), ronda los 1.650 km y, aunque ahora se estima que ese viaje podría durar unas 15 h 50 min actualmente, por entonces descubrimos todos los obstáculos con los que la pareja se topa para llegar a su destino.
Tom McDade
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir

A short story dolled up with fine cover, well padded with a Paul Theroux foreword and Julian Evans introduction. Amusing enough, but as Evans points out:

What is apparent and painful in “The Cruise” is that Fitzgerald’s attitude toward Black Americans is unforgivably breezy to a point of pure ignorance. There are a number of demeaning references in this piece to Blacks. One of Fitzgerald’s biographers, Jeffrey Meyers, has shown how Fitzgerald’s attitude changed from fashionable anti-Semitism in
Margaret Elder
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is interesting only in that it reveals Fitzgerald's character, which may make analysis of his other, more well-known works, easier. It is a short work and a travelogue of a journey by car (the "rolling junk") from Connecticut to Alabama with his young wife, Zelda. In spite of attitudes that he has that turn the reader off (but probably were fairly universal among the educated men of his time and place), the book has some well-constructed and lovely sentences. It frankly had particular ...more
Tony Glover
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
This slender tale is about a supposedly spontaneous journey taken by Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald from Connecticut to Alabama on board a car they called the Rolling Junk. Zelda was feeling nostalgic about the peaches she used to eat at home in the Deep South of the US, so they hop in the car to get some. There are some amusing episodes and some quite beautiful passages of description of the country they drive through. But the book is marred by some appalling racism which I found hard to take. The ...more
Sandra
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a series of three articles written for magazine publication after Fitzgerald's first novel. It is a autobiographical (sort of) account of a spontaneous 1,200 mile road trip taken by the Fitzgeralds from Connecticut to Zelda's parents' Montgomery, AL home. Why? To satisify Zeld'as yen for peaches and biscuits.

As important as this recently published edition is the foreword by Paul Theroux and the introduction by Julian Evans.

My reaction to it - the same, always the same. I feel such a
Zenit Saphyr
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pela estrada fora com o Scott Fitzgerald e a mulher Zelda.
É do género fomos daqui para ali, passou-se isto e isto, não é nenhum valor literário, mas lê-se bem, tem alguns apontamentos sarcásticos interessantes.

O Fitzgerald era um pouco racista, também percebemos isso em várias partes, como por exemplo quando diz que "infelizmente" o empregado da garagem era um negro, ou quando diz que, "segundo é costume na sua raça tentaram rodear a questão". Não é bem racismo, é mais uma visão estereotipada,
A.E. Shaw
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012

Well-written in its brevity, and its description, certainly, but without a shred of charm and with a slew of unpleasantries. The somewhat fictionalised Zelda and Fitzgerald are not my ideal storytime companions, it transpires, and, whilst there was a degree of interest and appreciation to be had in the brevity and descriptions, this isn't something I can see myself coming back to. I did like the car itself, though. It was the only character which moved me.
Rashmi Tiwari
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a tiny novella about a road trip taken by F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald (who are the main characters in this story). It's seriously funny though it's also super racist: every part involving black people is cringe-worthy. I've never read anything by Fitzgerald that made me laugh out loud so if you can prepare for the truly abhorrent, typical-rich-white-man-of-the-1920s musings on race, I would recommend giving this a go. Okay, THAT is a sentence I never thought I'd write.
Amy Bahantka dugan
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
So enjoyable! Funny and poetic - witty and descriptive. I felt like I was sitting in the backseat in a fly on the wall fashion watching two friends on their journey. Ah youth and spontaneity and that one car most of us had at one point in our lives. Makes me think of the Fitzgeralds during a fairly carefree time in their life together. Thank you rolling junk!
Zack
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written true story (mostly) about F. Scott and Zelda taking a road-trip to the South in search of peaches. As the automobile was still in its infancy, this is one of the first in a long history of American road-trip stories. Anyone who is a fan of Fitzgerald's writing should certainly pick up this quick read.
Jonathan
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story, but all too short. Quick and to the point, humorous at many times, poetic at others, without dragging on like some of his longer works. In that sense, much more like Gatsby than The Beautiful and the Damned.
Lost Generation: Win a copy of "The Cruise of the Rolling Junk"! 9 23 Sep 23, 2013 04:42AM

• De zonde van de vrouw
  • Jours sans faim
  • I Married Adventure: The Lives of Martin and Osa Johnson
  • Lacroix und die Toten vom Pont Neuf: Sein erster Fall
  • Akkurat passe
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • The Murders of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #1)
  • The Ice at the Bottom of the World: Stories
  • The Holmes-Dracula File (Dracula Series, #2)
  • Der zauberhafte Trödelladen (Valerie Lane, #3)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Before She Sleeps
  • Ensel und Krete. Ein Märchen aus Zamonien (Zamonien, #2)
  • Behold the Void
  • The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear (Zamonia, #1)
  • 180 Grad Meer
  • The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding: A Short Story (Hercule Poirot)
  • El guardià de les trufes
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth ...more