Start by marking “Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance” as Want to Read:
Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance

Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  518 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
This third book in Julia Cameron's bestselling trilogy on the creative process-beginning with "The Artist's Way" and "Walking in This World"-offers guidance on weathering the periods in an artist's life when inspiration appears to have run dry. Julia Cameron presents a new twelve-week program for addressing those periods in an artist's life when inspiration is lacking. Fin ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Tarcher (first published December 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Water

Barbara Conelli
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After reading The Artist's Way and Walking In The World, I didn't know what to expect when I opened Finding Water. I thought everything had been said, discussed and done. And I was wrong!

I must say that Finding Water is my most favorite book of the series. This book is much more focused on inner guidance and reveals more details of Julia's life in New York. As a New Yorker who loves her city, I know the places Julia writes about, I know the wonderful changes of Central Park throughout the year,
Charlotte
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Back when The Artist's Way first came out, I read it and I was into it. It inspired me. The format suited me. Anything where you are asked to make a list is for me. I love my lists! So recently I saw this on the shelf at the library and decided to read it. It was the beginning of a new year and seemed like a good time to read something like this, to ignite my creativity and feel motivated. To be fair, I skipped the second book in the series since it didn't happen to be on the shelf at the librar ...more
Cath Van
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Twelve weeks of reflection and writing is the format of Julia Cameron's series of workbooks about the creative process. There are: 'The Artist's Way', 'Walking in this World' and 'Finding Water, the Art of Perseverance'. I have many books by her and have read parts of all of them. 'Finding Water' was the first book I used as the workbook she meant it to be. Twelve weeks is a very long time and it didn't feel like that. Looking back what I mostly liked about the book and the twelve weeks is comin ...more
Marjorie Elwood
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: art
If you've read The Artist's Way, you've read this book. Actually, if you've read the first three chapters of this book, you've read the entire book. Much of it revolves around her alcoholism/sobriety and her relationship with God, so I'm not sure why she has such resistance to being labeled a "self-help" author.
July Savitska
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Уже 3 книга из серии Джулии Кэмерон, прочитанная мною. Просто очень импонирует манера выкладки, задания из книг изменили мое отношение к творчеству и очень круто изменили мою жизнь (может не полностью, но однозначно помогли найти более гармоничный путь к себе). Конкретно эта книга даёт практические упражнения в преодолении кризисов, которые случаются у всех (независимо от того считает себя человек творческой натурой или нет). Книга помогает найти почву под ногами, когда кажется ее нет. Помогает ...more
JoyfulK
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
This book kept me interested. It encouraged me to pay attention to my creative life. There were many exercises that were short and helpful, and some more extended exercises that I sometimes did and sometimes skipped. I picked up this book because I found The Artist's Way very helpful, and I hoped this book would help me increase my perseverance on projects I choose. However, it turns out to be focused not on perseverance in general but on perseverance with an artistic career. The focus is very m ...more
Kimberly Cain
Jan 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
As much as I have loved Cameron's other books, The Artist's Way, Vein of Gold, & Walking in this World, I did not enjoy Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance.

Maybe this writing was cathartic for Cameron. And maybe it will be helpful for those who are at a critically low point to feel they're not alone. I don't know, however, if it will help to energize them into the next level of creativity, however - & that's really one of the main reasons for using Cameron's tools. She's a master!

The
Heather
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
I did not follow Julia's advice step by step as I did with her first book in the trilogy, but this is still an inspiring and helpful book. After reading it cover to cover, it remains an essential part of my library because it's easy to pick up for a quick shot of inspiration, or to get back on track if it feels like the well is starting to run dry.
Satia
With nothing really new to offer, and a confessional Cameron sharing how depressed she is, this was not a book I enjoyed reading or from which I drew any inspiration. For more:

Katrina Sark
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
p.13 – In creativity, as in running, you have to start where you are.

p.18 – There is no such thing as a missed day of dog walking. Even in the thickest snow or the fiercest cold we venture out.
In seeking to nurture our creativity, we, too, need adventures that can be counted on. I call them “Artist Dates.” As the name suggests, we are out to romance or woo our artist. We do so by taking a weekly solo expedition to do something that is just plain fun.

p.19 – The intuition that we are connected
Jason
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Of the three books, The Artist's Way, Walking in this World, and Finding Water, I feel that I have gotten the most from Finding Water but I believe this would not have happened had I not worked through the previous two first. Each book builds upon the previous one so I would recommend that anyone wanting to gain the most from the series start at week one of The Artist's Way and go from there. I started The Artist's Way in February of 2015 so I definitely took my time. I don't think going through ...more
Courtney
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve finally finished reading Finding Water as part of my Artist’s Way class. I’m curious enough to want to return to the first book and work through it rather than just read it as I did a few years ago. This book was very focused on Cameron herself, the writing life, and getting through times of struggle and depression. I think the first more general text might have been a better fit for our class, which included creatives who are not writers and struggled with the narrow focus.

I did think the
Meli
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book generated much thoughtfulness and precipitated several mindful practices. Several of those I've only jotted down, but I know when the time's right I'll begin to practice them. You know Cameron is of quality cloth by so many of the quotes she shared. It can be a little uncomfortable to read about others' struggles, right? Especially when you don't know them. But the source of that very raw sharing is the same source of all the advice and wisdom she imparts, and there's MUCH generosity i ...more
Phyllis
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Julia Cameron lets herself be very vulnerable in this third volume of The Artist's Way Trilogy. I led a thirteen-week group and some of the workshop participants were put off by her sometimes dark view of the world. I emphasized to my workshop that Julia always showed the way out of the dark, and that it was necessary to write about the dark too. The book is full of solutions and ways to live a creative life. Highly recommended read, especially as a group.
Жанна Пояркова
Это такая неожиданная засада - вечно спокойная и добродушная Джулия Кэмерон, которая знает все о творчестве и проблемах, внезапно предстает в разгар депрессии (!) и борьбы с желанием пропустить стаканчик. И это прямо как серпом... Ну, вы поняли. Хотя тоже полезно. Очень мрачная вещь. Любителям прекраснодушных уроков надо пропустить стороной, может испортить настроение.
Polly Watson
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absotively posolutely adore Julia Cameron. Much of Finding Water is a reminder of all she talks about in her previous books, but from a different perspective, a different angle. Julia is such an inspiration for me. She is so real and honest. Every book, everything by Julia Cameron is well worth reading.
Carol
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I found Julia Cameron's work. This is the 4th book I've read of hers. Her work is uplifting. It gives you hope that your creativity still exists and can fulfill its destiny in your lifetime despite the many challenges put before you in this troubled world. Look into the Artist' Way as a primer.
Teri Temme
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Morning Pages are always valuable - I never know why I stop! They are already helping me to clarify the direction of my life. Thank you Julia! Great vignettes of NYC through the seasons.
Katharine
Mar 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
There is nothing new in this book; if you've read any of Cameron's other books you already know everything here. Diaappointing.
Anne
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction-other
Several years ago, I tried to do Julia Cameron's Artist's Way program. I never got past the first week. I simply could not get into the habit of writing Morning Pages. I am a visual artist; as much as I read, writing does not come naturally to me. I would much rather make pretty pictures on (or with) paper, or sew whimsical creatures out of fabric. And so I abandoned it.

I picked up this book, which is the third in the Artist's Way series, a few years later, and it had been languishing on my shel
Ganesh
It is easy to look at a work of art, like an exquisite poem, and assume that one could never create anything as inspired. Cameron reminds me that great art requires more than inspiration -- it also requires working long hours when one is feeling less than inspired.

A friend recently sent me clip of a Malcolm Gladwell talk in which he critiques popular notions of genius and achievement. We tend to focus on Good-Will-Hunting-style acts of genius – seemingly effortless and performed in isolation.

Gl
Laura K
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I appreciate the author's willingness to share her personal story and have compassion for what she has been through and admiration for the path she has chosen. I enjoyed all the famous quotes and especially liked the stories about the dogs (I would enjoy reading a book based solely on the dog's antics). What would have made it better for me: 1) It was too "twelve-step" for me, I would have liked less mention of that 2) less repetition ("list creative actions....you might manicure your nails brig ...more
Penny
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This third installment of the "Artist's Way" series feels phoned in. Repetitive with attempts to be spiritual and profound the book felt weighted in "gee, you aren't creating art because you don't have real friendships and God isn't talking to you."

I enjoyed most the quotes she pulls to pepper the side bars.

Perhaps it's where I am on my own journey, but the writing in this book felt like she was trying to impress by sharing her "ordinary life struggles" which came across as a bit pretentious an
Kaseka
I enjoyed this book, though not as much as The Artist's Way and some of Cameron's others. That said, I must admit I read the book without doing the exercises--something that doubtless would have improved my overall rating, as Cameron's exercises have been helpful and illuminating for me in the past.

The essays were well-written glimpses into a working writer's life (Cameron's) during a trying time, when depression loomed large and perseverance was more difficult than ever. Cameron's bravery in t
Kristine
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Julia's books always make feel like I have a friend I haven't met yet. She shares her viewpoint, her motivation, and her fear of becoming a blocked artist. She has great strategies for simple solutions; Morning Pages is a great tool for clearing the clutter in your brain. She is also a passionate walker, which we have in common. Step by step, she accepts new challenges in her creative life . She talks like a friend, not an Writer of Authority. She has a big heart, and a vision to share. Take a s ...more
Dale Harcombe
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Having read The Artists Way some years ago I was looking forward to this one. While I liked it,I found it seemed to echo a lot of what had been said, if I remember correctly, in that previous book, so I didn't get as much out of it as I had expected to. Maybe it's me and I was not in the right frame of mind but I stuggled to go back to it each time, which is why it took me so long to get though it. Perhaps at another time it might work better.
Cait
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I loved "The Artist's Way" so I was excited to start reading "Finding Water". However, this book just didn't do it for me.

I didn't care for her endless descriptions of the weathers or her stories about her dogs.
I found her a bit depressing. She always seemed down and unsure of herself.
By the end I found the exercises and advice to be similar to the exercises and advice given in the first half of the book.
Olwen
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
A lovely, gentle read. Ideal for anyone who feels 'blocked' in their creativity, or who wants to improve their stress resilience, or just achieve better work-life balance.

Actually, I've picked up this book to read a second time, more carefully. It's become a great spiritual resource to encourage me as a writer. The author succinctly and gently describes many of the issues professional writers face, and provides direction about how to overcome them.
Jan
I have done a couple of the exercises--or as Ms. Cameron calls them divining rods--and they were helpful, but a lot of the book is about Julia's own process and bringing folks into that space...which while definitely interesting, not really something that I was in synch with. Would recommend this book for creative types looking at what hold's them back, after being in the game of life for a while.
Scott Neigh
Mixed feelings: Her writing sometimes feels forced. Her particular approach to spirituality is often personally offputting for me, and occasionally politically offensive, and it is far more intrusive in this book than in earlier ones. Yet she has significant insight into how writing happens and how writers work, and reading what she has to say often brings me a sense of expansive possibility, which are worth the other stuff.
  • The Artist's Way at Work: Riding the Dragon
  • Juicy Pens, Thirsty Paper: Gifting the World with Your Words and Stories, and Creating the Time and Energy to Actually Do It
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • Coaching the Artist Within: Advice for Writers, Actors, Visual Artists, and Musicians from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • On Becoming an Artist: Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity
  • Writing the Mind Alive: The Proprioceptive Method for Finding Your Authentic Voice
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • Now Is the Time: 170 Ways to Seize the Moment
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • Altered Books, Collaborative Journals, and Other Adventures in Bookmaking
  • Armed and Dangerous: A Writer's Guide to Weapons
  • Writing Alone and with Others
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
Julia Cameron has been an active artist for more than thirty years, with fifteen books (including bestsellers The Artist's Way, Walking In This World and The Right to Write) and countless television, film, and theater scripts to her credit. Writing since the age of 18, Cameron has a long list of screenplay and teleplay credits to her name, including an episode of Miami Vice, and Elvis and the Beau ...more
“God does not give us more than we can handle," I am told but I wonder if God doesn't overestimate me just a little. Or perhaps, and this is likely, I underestimate God.” 67 likes
“Perfectionism doesn't believe in practice shots. It doesn't believe in improvement. Perfectionism has never heard that anything worth doing is worth doing badly--and that if we allow ourselves to do something badly we might in time become quite good at it. Perfectionism measures our beginner's work against the finished work of masters. Perfectionism thrives on comparison and competition. It doesn't know how to say, "Good try," or "Job well done." The critic does not believe in creative glee--or any glee at all, for that matter. No, perfectionism is a serious matter.” 46 likes