Start by marking “Principles (Summary)” as Want to Read:
Principles (Summary)

Principles (Summary)

Abstract: What follows are three distinct parts that can be read either independently or as a connected whole. Part 1 is about the purpose and importance of having principles in general, having nothing to do with mine. Part 2 explains my most fundamental life principles that apply to everything I do. Part 3, explains my management principles as they are being lived out at ...more
Published 2011 by www.bwater.com

To ask other readers questions about Principles, please sign up.

Start your review of Principles (Summary)
Martin Brochhaus
Dec 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rubbish, self-help
I'm putting this down at 43%. Massive waste of time. The first half of the book is Dalio bragging about his achievements, but trying to stay humble while doing it.

Then comes the interesting part of the book, where he is supposed to lay out his principles. There is one chapter that is really good where I underlined almost everything, but that's just about three pages long.

Then he goes on and on and on and on to repeat hundreds of times that you should be radically open minded, and that you should
Ellen Chang
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I felt liberated after reading Principles. Being an independent thinker is liberating.

Dalio's philosophy that everything works like a machine (the economy and life in general) is a refreshing look at how we decide to live our lives. My favorite part about this book though, is his clear and concise writing about the importance of principles and his personal principles. He practices real integrity throughout his writing and I admire his voracious pursuit of seeking the truth through thoughtful di
Chiara Cokieng
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I read this book again because it has been recommended to me as the “best book on learning how to be effective.” So far, I agree. Already, I am using an "issues log", designing experiments, seeing every failure I make and every success I achieve as artifacts to analyze. My biggest takeaway from this reading is summed up in this quote,

"I learned that everyone makes mistakes and has weaknesses and that one of the most important things that differentiates people is their approach to handling them."
ScienceOfSuccess
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TL:DR: You can just watch my summary here:

Animated Book Review

Ray Dalio has an amazing story, and this book explains many principles that he uses every day.
This book contains his biography and his hedge fund cornerstone rules, you have to read it!
Omar Bohsali
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Read it twice. Principles is like a modern day Meditations aimed at professional and career development.
Tarik
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dalio lists about two hundreds very healthy work and management principles. I mostly find myself agreeing with him. It should indeed be about finding the truth, and being radically transparent and honest in this worthwhile quest.

However the Principles are quite repetitive, a lots of redundancies. Maybe Dalio's way to get his point through.

Still worth reading.
Vincent Stoessel
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.75 rounded up to 5. Add this to the list of books that I wish were around when I was 20 years younger. There are some really interesting ideas in this book and makes me wonder if there are other companies and organizations that pursue "idea meritocracy" out there in the world. Definitely a book geared toward business but for me, the potential applications are vast.
Franta
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, there is much expanded version including Ray Dalio's biography: www.principles.com .

Principles are one of the most interesting strategy (or 'self help') books I have read.
Here, Dalio explains his rational (system engineering-like) process to achieve (any) goals.

Some excerpts:
-----------

## Reality + Dreams + Determination = A Successful Life
## Pain + Reflection = Progress

Ask is it true?

What he really wanted to do was beat the market. He just had to figure out how to do it.

So he was...
1) wo
Maroun
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic. Not only are his life & work principles insightful and applicable to my life, but I walked away creating principles of my own for various aspects of my life following his framework. Highly recommend the printed book, it's beautifully designed and worth the higher price tag. ...more
Gabriel Adamante
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Impressive. Precise, practical advice. No bullshit. I wish more bright people wrote down their principles like Dalio did.
Daniel Clausen
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2020
There is much to like about this book. Ray Dalio examines his life in prose that is often honest and straightforward, often bordering on the conversational and vernacular. As you read this book, you feel as if you are talking with Ray in his office or in a restaurant. That gives the book some of its charm. For these reasons, we can comfortably situate this book with other autobiographies/life lesson books. Benjamin Franklin's autobiography and "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius are other great exa ...more
Rahul Patel
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked up this book out of an interest in gaining business insights from a successful entrepreneur and financial leader. Without question, Ray Dalio has a knack for figuring out ways to make money using financial instruments, in particular via hedging strategies on commodities. He tries to detail many personal as well as business principles that led to his (and his hedge fund's) success. What I walk away from, though, is that it is difficult to quantify or create an algorithm for success, as m ...more
Julius
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite discoveries in 2017 - Ray Dalio and his Life and Work Principles. It's a 500+ page book for those who want to rise to the top, who want to become more efficient at making decisions, and who sometimes feel lost when thinking about their values.

Reading this book felt like getting access to cheat codes in a game just because how much knowledge and wisdom are distilled in it.
Sambasivan
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most important books that I have read this year.

The author Ray Dalio who is one of the top 100 influential individuals in the world, also acclaimed to be the ‘Steve Jobs of investment industry’ distils his life time learnings of the past 32 years and has done all of us a great favour.

As be rightly says, it is not important to follow the same principles that he did, but it is important to chalk out one’s own principles and follow the same with rigour and diligence.

Fantastic
Christine
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm still deeply skeptical of the "idea meritocracy" and Ray Dalio himself, as I'm suspicious that many of his ideas are in practice used as excuses for being an asshole, and like all versions of meritocracy, is likely to have deep implementation flaws that cover up bias with a veil of objectivity. Plus, it's a funny thing in America that we hold up people who have made a lot of money through the finance world as models for us to look up to, a la Warren Buffett. There is no doubt that Ray Dalio ...more
Brad Dunn
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Ray Dalio. This is a wonderful induction into his attitudes towards people and business, and would be a perfect read for someone wanting to start a business. Think of it like hundreds of Twitter sized suggestions on how to run a company. Very specific details. How to run a meeting, how to recruit staff. Mostly though it's about values. It's like a crash course in radical management theory. There is some pretty left of field tactical things in here. You can probably read it in an ...more
Willian Molinari
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
I was between 4 and 5 stars for this one. I would say I would rate it with 4.5, but when I was editing my notes I realized the big number of notes I had and decided to go for 5 stars.

There are many good ideas in this book and many of the things I see here are logical. If you're a logical person (instead of an emotional one) you will understand many of the strategies he describe in this book.

Keep in mind that you don't have to agree with his way of doing things, that's not the point. This book wa
Nick
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ray's collected all the Rules for Living and Working you could ever possibly need, and arranged them in clusters, subgroups, and units for easy perusal. This book is really an instructional manual for the clueless, or the nerdy, or people who have spent their lives staring at their mobile phones. It's all here, and most of it is very, very wise. The only thing Ray didn't get was that having hundreds of rules is too many to live by. He needs to reduce them to, say, the ten most important.

His mos
Eugene
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-to-read
Fang William
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. Trial - Error - Reflection - Principles - System(Machine with Algorithm)
2. System > People
Vikash
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very well written book which elaborates the life lessons learned by the author.

Favourite Quote-"People who are one way on the Inside and believe that they need to be other way outside to please others become conflicted and lose touch with what they really think and feel"

Q) Who is this book for?
Everyone. It has some serious and valuable life lessons. It's a book to learn and apply so everyone needs it.

Q) What are the key takeaways? 1. Embrace the Pain- Yeah, crave for the difficulties, because
Xavier Amatriain
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a book I would wholeheartedly recommend to managers and leaders, but I would also caution them to read with an extremely critical eye. Because I don’t think most people are reading it like that, I am worried that this book will do more harm than good.

Let me say that I truly believe that the book has a lot of very good things. However, because it has a lot (and I mean really a lot) of things, it also has many things that I don’t only disagree with, but I think they are plain wrong. There
Sergei Rudz
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the best books i have ever read. Program by which you are operating is not necessarily yours. Sometimes there are principles which are sabotaging your life due to not being optimal for achieving certain results in life.
A Good idea would be to adopt principles from someone who you think is a master or at least is wiser than you in some respective field.

Your opinions are only as good as your information and your actions are largely driven by your inner program. Certain principles drive ce
Yanal
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listened to this on Audible and it worked well with him narrating most of the book. The book covers both his personal and professional life so it was surprising how much he opened about in the book. In speaking about culture, he values an environment of where the truth can be freely told, failure is accepted, and ability to get and give feedback. He also talks about people in organizations where he states that hiring is one of the most important decisions you make. Also the following:
-Recognize
David
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is a bit disappointing. Overall, it contains good ideas but I would have preferred a longer Medium.com blogpost which would have meant less repetition. In addition, I don't think I have ever read a book in which I was confronted with so much arrogance. The author is clearly very successful so maybe it was the tone of the audiobook -- not sure. In addition, I noticed the vague use of terms such as 'algorithms' and 'AI' throughout the book. It feels that the author uses these terms in a ...more
Zhi Wei Lee
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
"Principles" reads like a modern-day Meditations, except the content is largely written for a professional/work context. Also, Meditations is way better. I'm not entirely sure why this book made waves. It's not terrible, but it's not terribly insightful either. I'd say what's useful about this book are the specific practices that he shares about leadership and management in the appendix, which can be some sort of repository of brainstorming material for one's own use. But there isn't anything re ...more
Chris Garin
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finished the audible version of this book. Really found this helpful since it talks about actual systems and processes used in Bridgewater — ones that deal with how to manage team members correctly and effectively. What I like most about is that Ray actually wrote down the detailed steps - many of which I can apply. So far, managing team members has been the most challenging part of my duties, and this book pretty much covers solutions to these challenges.

Will be buying the kindle version so th
Mark Hillick
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read, pretty phenomenal gift of knowledge from Ray Dalio. Clearly both Dalio & Bridgewater aren’t for everyone but there’s so much education in this book for us all in both personal and professional development. Dalio doesn't hide behind his failures, or the pain, and is unsurprisingly forthright the book.

This is a book that I plan to regularly revisit and I’m sure I’ll pick up something new every time.
Jonathan
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good general principles, with somewhat weak reasoning behind them, and a sprinkle of self promotion in between.
Javier RP
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good insights but too repetitive at times
Goodreads Librari...: Ray Dalio Principles 9 52 Oct 09, 2017 08:36PM

• Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder
  • Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World
  • 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
  • Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers
  • Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets
  • Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
  • MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
Raymond Dalio (born August 8, 1949) is an American investor, hedge fund manager, and philanthropist. Dalio is the founder of investment firm Bridgewater Associates, one of the world's largest hedge funds.

News & Interviews

“It is far more common for people to allow ego to stand in the way of learning.” 54 likes
“Pain + Reflection = Progress” 36 likes