Start by marking “Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)” as Want to Read:
Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)

Full Cry

("Sister" Jane #3)

In the third novel of her captivating foxhunting series, Rita Mae Brown welcomes readers back for a final tour of a world where most business is conducted on horseback-and stables are de rigueur for even the smallest of estates. Here, in the wealth-studded hills of Jefferson County, Virginia, even evil rides a mount.

The all-important New Year's Hunt commences amid swirling
Published October 26th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Full Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Cry

Start your review of Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
Jim
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
For some reason this book felt 100 pages longer than the previous one, probably because there was less about the mystery & more soap opera. As much as I love the VA fox hunting scene & the wonderful way Brown describes it, there was too much preaching & I'm in the choir. If you want to know what real fox hunting is like, Brown does describe that well.

It was the realism of the actual murder mystery bits that really hurt this novel for me. The end fight, the reason & setup for it
Karen GoatKeeper
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2014
All right, the mystery itself deserves four stars. The problem comes in all the extra confusing the issue. The foxhunting is interesting as it is such as alien sport to me. The interplay between the creatures is fun to read even though I think some it is pure fantasy. [I raise goats and find the local hounds terrifying to have in the pastures.] It did make up an important part of the mystery. Some of the other causes were much too heavy handed.
For the mystery, it is pure Rita Mae Brown up to the
Cheryl Mcdonnell
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mrs Murphy wins by a nose
Kristina
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting in the details of the fox hunting sport. Weird with the animals talking to each other. Not so great mystery story.

Found this in the closet with no idea how it got there! Rainy day reading.
Deborah Wysinger
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An adventure from beginning to end, and what an end
Janet Scott
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a Joy

Even if you dont hunt or even ride these stories bring another part of nature to life. And Sister is my hero.
Diane Large
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
As interesting as the fox hunts are, I found this book about 100 pages too long and the ending confusing and quick. Sister jumping on the back of Clay's horse. Really?
Amber
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Goodness, if this keeps up all of Jefferson Hunt will be either murdered or in prison, with only Sister Jane left to keep hunting. Jane finally gets her own love interest in this one! I hope he doesn't end up dead in future books. I just love reading these, they are more about foxhunting than murder and that is fine by me. I am learning more and more about this aspect of horsemanship that I previously knew nothing about. I would definitely recommend these books to all animal lovers out there. ...more
Barbara
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
What I like about many mystery series is the look they give into a world you know almost nothing about. Rita Mae Brown's fox-hunting books, set in the rolling hills of Virginia, do just that. This is the fourth one I've read, and I've learned quite a lot about American fox-hunting, which unlike European fox-hunting is not a bloody sport. In the United States the hounds only chase the fox until it escapes into a den, and the Masters of the Hunt take care of their foxes by leaving food for them in ...more
Pamela Mclaren
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a comfortable cozy mystery centered around the world of fox hunting and while there are times that Rita Mae Brown explains the art and science behind fox hunting a little more than most people might be interested, none the less, it was a good mystery and a fun read.

"Sister" Jane, the 72-year-ld master of the foxhounds has more than her usual duties in this book. She has finally named her co-master and gotten one of her wealthier members named president (a better position for him that
Max
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
P 98 democracy has become the holy grail of the west, of industrialization...real worship is not of one man one vote, it's one man one dollar. Commerce drives democracy not vice versa.
P98 the tax code will never be simplified in our lifetime because it's not about taxes; it's about congressmen distributing the pork....people focus on the irs, the symptom of their pain, instead of congress, the source of their sickness.
P201 safety numbs people

Ok end of third book. Sister Jane plans her scheme to
Amy
Oct 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Out of the 3 Rita Mae Brown books I've read, I think I liked this one the best. Though she started out a little preachy (as usual), she seemed to let up towards the end and let the story tell it itself instead of forcing agendas into every nook and cranny. The publisher's description of the book is just wrong. Sam Lorillard is not killed in the book. There are 3 murders, and he isn't one of them. That kind of threw me off for a long time because I kept expecting him to die and he never did, plus ...more
zoomdoggies
May 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The thing about Rita Mae Brown is that sometimes, instead of using the story to make her point, she has one of the characters deliver a lecture. And sometimes anthropomorphizing the non-verbal characters in the story (hounds, horses, foxes, cat) gets to be a bit much. In general, I know what to expect, and I'm OK with it. In this book, however, it seemed like characters were lecturing me more than usual. I found it irritating and disruptive.

I'll still probably read the next book in the series. I
Stephy
Jun 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This fox hunt series, the "Sister Jane" books, seems to have more of Rita Mae brown's heart in them than the Mrs. Murphy Books, which are beginning to wear a bit thin. I hope it won't turn into another "Cat Who..." series, which will pay the bills and tarnish her reputation. But who can blame a writer for writing what sells. not everyone has another "Bingo" or "Southern Discomfort" in them. I hope Rita will.
Michele bookloverforever
if you like the mrs.murphy series, you will like this one too. This series strs jane arnold a/k/a/ "sister": an elderly but athletic and very tied into the fox hunting. she is the current leader of the hunt and has to pick a co leader to train for when she can no longer be the leader. along the way are a couple of murders. a great cast of characters and lively dialogue. First read several years ago and re-read January, 2020.
Megan  Crivello
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
While I really like this series, I thought that this story was a little forced. It was a great selection of character studies and contained a wonderful amount of character development, but little to no mystery. Also, am I the only one who remembers the details of Peter Wheeler's will? I was incredibly disappointed that it was completely ignored and apparently forgotten.
Susan Miller
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great ride with Sister, Shaker, and the hounds. In this story the plot falls within the world of drugs and hits close to home as the murders are committed by one of the boys that used to run with Sister's son, Rayray. I love that the hounds come to Sister's rescue. A galloping ride, with new love interests.
Becky Galambos
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
March/April 2012 - This book is the third in Rita Mae Brown's "Sister Jane" foxhunting series. This one wasn't as good as the previous two, but still good.

March 2014 - Rereading series in order. Opinion stil the same.

October 2016 - ditto. But I enjoy all the books more every time I read them as I don't have to think over or look up the foxhunting terminology.
Susan Moore
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I learn alot about the foxhunting world when I read this. It seems to me, that, it's not really a mystery as she explores the different people in that world. The mystery seems to be tacked on as if an after thought.
Andrea
Jan 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Fun read. Very little that is actually a mystery - mostly character development and fox hunting culture. Beautiful descriptions of the hunts and fun insight from all the animals, both human and non. Always a nice, light read. Good for busy times and airplane rides.
George
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
#3 in the Sister Jane Arnold mystery series set in fox hunting Jefferson County, Virginia. Again, Sister finds herself involved in murders related to members of her fox hunting club. It is another good mystery filled with fox hunting and Virginia manners information.
Eyehavenofilter
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is #3 for me, and I can't get enough of the sassy sister, from Virginia. She's totally upper crust but, she knows how to get down and dirty when it comes to solving crime. I only hope I'm as spry when I'm 70 years old, I hope I'm this rich as well!
Nancy Black
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sister Jane Arnold,70, Master of the Jefferson Hunt, manages to run afoul of murder and mayhem. Intense readable scenes. sex, Relationships, Hounds, Hard riding and of course the Foxes. couldn't put it down!!
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
I am getting more than a little tired of all the politics! Can we PLEASE get on with the story? Great story, I learned a lot about fox-hunting. Well-crafted mystery, if you can sieve through all the left-wing preaching.
Madeline
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: southern-novels
I love Rita Mae Brown and her style, but I found this novel (the third in the fox hunting series) to be a little disappointing. There wasn't too much of a mystery involved, and it just didn't seem to have that "Spark" that the other two books had.
Joni
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sister-jane
learn a lot about fox hunting, murder mystery is a side event!
Janet
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the anthropomorphic treatment of all the animals and that this fox hunting club never kills a fox.
Heidi
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another good book from this series
Earthwatchaddict
Oct 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoy the foxhunting information but I don't care for the talking animals.
Teresa
Feb 19, 2008 rated it liked it
You learn a lot about fox hunting and Rita Mae Brown is always good.

• Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Hounds of the Basket Stitch
  • Deep South (Anna Pigeon, #8)
  • Charity Girl
  • A Very Mummy Holiday (Tourist Trap Mysteries #9.5)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Bath Tangle
  • The Whispered Word (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #2)
  • Leap of the Lion (The Wild Hunt Legacy, #4)
  • Submitting to the Rancher (Cowboy Doms, #1)
  • Pride and Pregnancy (Babies, Inc., #4)
  • A Noël Killing (Verlaque and Bonnet, #8)
  • Let It Snow
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • A Fearsome Doubt (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #6)
  • Six Cats a Slayin' (Cat in the Stacks, #10)
  • Cousin Kate
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

"Sister" Jane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
  • Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)
  • Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane #8)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)
  • Crazy Like a Fox ("Sister" Jane #10)
  • Homeward Hound ("Sister" Jane, #11)