Jump to ratings and reviews

Seattle Cinderella

352 pages, Paperback

First published March 1, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Gail Sattler

65 books34 followers
Gail Sattler is the author of numerous novels, novellas, gift books, cookbooks and devotions. She is a longstanding member of East Ridge Community Fellowship, a Mennonite Brethren church. She lives and writes in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

Gail is a wife, mother, writer, and musician, and the order of those things will depend on what day it is. She leads a busy life, with music affiliations in a jazz band and string orchestra, as well as writing, which is her passion. She wrote her first book back in middle school on a clackety old manual typewriter. Her writing has changed a lot since then. Now Gail writes romantic comedy, and most of the books she's written in the last few years are part of a series. Gail loves to continue a story, to make a new book with the story of a minor character from a previous story.

When Gail isn't writing, she loves to take pictures. Her primary targets, err, volunteers, are usually her family, pets, friends, and bandmates.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 28 of 28 reviews
July 18, 2020
The stories in this book are:
Cindy and the Prince
Love by the Books
Till Death Do us Part
Never Too Late
Profile Image for Cristina  Pitts.
42 reviews
October 13, 2019
I won’t remember this book very long. Too much play-by-play writing. Over the top cliche. Struggled to finish it.
Profile Image for Paula  Phillips.
4,756 reviews284 followers
October 10, 2012
Are you a fan of the fairytale Cinderella ? Ever since, I was little my all-time fairtyale story has been Cinderella. I love it and own nearly every single movie that has a Cinderella theme , my favourite being the Drew Barrymore movie "Ever After: A Cinderella Story". When I saw this book , I knew I had to read it as I also love the Christian fiction series "Romancing America".
Like most books in the Romancing America series, Seattle Cinderella contains four short stories. The first is "Cindy and the Prince" - Cindy aka our Cinderella of the story lives with her evil Stepmother Melissa and her two stepsisters Annie and Zella. When Cindy's dad died, Cindy was left with half of the business and half of the house. Working hard to keep her father's business afloat, Cindy has little time for boyfriends especially ones named Luke Princeton , who owns Prince Car Rentals. Can Luke prove to Cindy that he's her Prince Charming and will Cindy with the help of her Godmother Farrah have the chance to play Cinderella and find her perfect Prince ?
The second story focuses on Cindy's stepsister Annie , she is the youngest of the sisters . "Love by the Books" features Annie who is given a job at Prince Car Rentals as a stand-in accountant but when discrepancies start showing on the accounts, can Annie speak up for herself and let Luke and Brent know what has been happening ? What will happen when Annie ends up being fingered for a crime she didn't commit , will her plea for innocence and finding out the truth of who is trying to frame her come in the form of her version of Prince Charming - Luke's partner at Prince Car Rentals , Brent ? Will Annie find her Happily-ever-after ?
The third story focuses on the last of the stepsisters Zella. Over 6ft tall and shy, Zella finds it hard to make friends and life now is especially difficult with her mother breathing down her back about marriage , now that both Cindy and Annie have tied the knot. Wanting to get away from it all, Zella joins a local book club as she is a big reader especially of mystery novels written by a particular TJ Zeleft. Imagine her surprise, when the bookclub turns out to be in fact a writer's club , will Zella find her niche in writing? It started out as fun and games when Zella asks fellow member Trevor to pretend to be her boyfriend but what happens when the pair start to actually fall for together and Trevor is hiding a secret that could change everything especially Zella's feelings for him . Will Trevor find the courage to be honest with Zella or will he have lost his princess forever ?
Last, but not least is story number #4 "Never Too Late". Farrah , has spent her life looking out for others including her god-daughter Cindy . Love passed her once and ended in tragedy , so though lonely Farrah has dedicated her life too helping others less fortunate and throwing herself headfirst into the community. What happens though when Kat- Luke and Cindy's niece's boyfriend Tyler brings his Uncle Matt around and the sparks start to sizzle between Matt and Farrah. Can Matt prove to Farrah , that age is just a number and that if you love someone then nothing should stand in your way. Will Matt help Farrah to open her closed heart to another chance at love ?
Find out all the answers to these wonderful tales in Gail Sattler's new novel "Seattle Cinderella".
Profile Image for Valerie Comer.
Author 82 books192 followers
March 22, 2012
Who doesn’t love a re-imagined fairy tale? Just the idea immediately enthralls me. It’s always fun to see how many elements of the old favorite an author can parallel without making the whole concept seem hokey. At other times, the connection is so vague you’d never know it was there if someone didn’t tell you.

When I heard that one of the Romancing America collections was a set of novellas with a contemporary Cinderella theme, it got my attention. Here’s what they said: “Follow the road to the Emerald City where a contemporary Cinderella-esque cast wrestles with life and love. Will their dreams and wishes come true?”

At first blink, following the road to the Emerald City seems like blending the Wizard of Oz into Cinderella, but then I remembered that one of Seattle’s nicknames is the Emerald City. Clever!

In this retelling, Cindy inherited a brake and muffler shop from her father, and she spends a lot of time there to stay away from her stepmother and two stepsisters. The stepmother is about as nasty as you’d expect from a retelling, but the author chose to redeem the two stepsisters. Here, let me tell you a bit about each of the novellas.

In “Cindy and the Prince,” muffler shop owner Cindy isn’t interested in Luke Princeton, the co-owner of a car rental business across the lot. Luke has eyes only for Cindy and is determined to win her love, even though her stepsisters, Annie and Zella, are equally determined to catch his eye instead. Everything comes to a head at Luke’s annual business banquet.

The big question: are there glass slippers involved?

In “Love by the Books,” Cindy’s stepsister Annie is finished her bookkeeping course and has been doing the books for Cindy’s muffler shop. When Luke and Brent’s bookkeeper is unavailable, they ask Annie to look into a discrepancy in their ledgers. But when Annie suspects user error–possibly on purpose–the two men can’t forget how Annie tried to sabotage Cindy not that long ago. Has she really changed as she says she has? Will Brent believe Annie before they get taken to the cleaners?

The third novella, “Till Death Do Us Part,” features Zella, whose mother had so much fun coordinating Annie’s wedding that she’s determined to marry off Zella as soon as possible and sets her up with a blind date for Friday. In panic, Zella grabs the newspaper and points at an ad, saying she’s part of a book club that night and can’t go. When she arrives at the book club, she soon finds it’s a writers’ group and enthusiastically starts helping Trevor Jones figure out how to commit the perfect murder–on paper, of course. But her mother discovers some of Zella’s research and is certain her daughter is in trouble.

The final novella is called “Never Too Late” and is the story of Cindy’s godmother (no fairies in this one!), Farrah, who we met earlier. Luke’s niece and a boy from youth group are determined to pair Farrah up with the boy’s uncle, a veterinarian, as all parties volunteer at an animal shelter. Farrah is enough older than Matt that it doesn’t seem right to her, but true love isn’t dependent on the year of one’s birth.

I received an e-copy of this collection for review from NetGalley. Opinions, as always, are mine alone.
2,320 reviews31 followers
February 24, 2012
Seattle Cinderella by Gail Sattler
5 STARS
This book has four different stories in it. I really liked the first story. I am going to write a review of each story as I read it.
Cindy and the Prince
Cindy lives with her stepmother and two stepsisters. Cindy owns half the house and half of the business. Her two stepsisters work in the office and her stepmother owns the other half. Cindy can't afford to live anywhere else and her stepmother is contesting the will.
Luke Princeton owns a business across from Cindy and keeps asking her out.in
Cindy keeps saying no. Luke also is raising his niece after her parents were killed.
Second story is of Cindy's stepsister Annie and Luke's business partner Brent story. This story takes place soon after Cindy's story. It
starts with Brent watching out for Annie who is watching & running Cindy's business while she is on her honeymoon. Brent is running his shop while Luke is away too.
Annie after she realized how badly her mom had treated Cindy and all the lies she had believed about Cindy was try to make amends too Cindy.
Annie was starting to help with accounting at Luke & brents place and was having trouble with the accounts. Also Cindy's car was stolen and found in Annie garage. Luke was ready to fire her but Brent was thinking she was set up.
Till death us Part is Zella story.
Zella's mother wants to set her up on blind date because she wants to open a business as a wedding planner. Zella is not getting married so her mom can use the publicity. So Zella makes the excuse she has a book club meeting every friday at library.
The book club annoucement she glanced out was really a bookclub for writers.
Trevor was actually writing under the name T.J. Zereth. Before anyone told her about that, Zella raved about her favorite author and how she would love to meet him and get a picture together.
Trevor was attracted to Zella and wanted her to meet the man before the author. Trevor kept making excuses to be with her and had her help him come up with ways to kill someone for his books.
Zella's mom just heard part of conversations and she thought he was a hitman and trying to get her daughter to help him kill for real.
The last book is
Never too Late
Farrah Tobias story she is Cindy's Godmother.
Farrah is a elementry teacher and has never been married. Her fiance got sick and died before they could marry.
Kat and her friend Tyler decide to set Farrah up with Tyler's uncle Matt.
lots of people were always trying to introduce women to Matt. This was the first time someone set him up with a older woman. Matt recongized what the teens were doing, but Farrah had no idea why they were always bumbing into Matt.
All four stories were good and fun to follow the characters.
The books did not have swearing or sex scenes in them, would let my teens read them. I would read more books by Gail. I was lent the ebook in exchange of honest review by Netgalley.
03/01/2012 PUB Barbour Books
Profile Image for Abbie.
291 reviews31 followers
May 3, 2012
Another fun book in the romancing America series. This book follows Cindy and her step sisters Annie and Zella. The final story is about Farrah who is Cindy’s godmother. Cindy deals with a stepmom who does not like her and trying to keep her fathers muffler shop going. Annie deals with someone trying to make her look bad and Zella who is trying to avoid her mother setting her up so she joins a book club. Farrah has just turned 50 and catches the eye of a younger man. Will these ladies find true love?

What I liked: I like how all the stories tie together and even though the individual stories are short it feels like a longer novel. The characters are likeable and fun to read about which adds to the books likeability. All these stories where written by the same author which made it nice as the style of writing did not change from story to story.

What I did not like: The downside to shorter stories is there tends to be a point in each story where suddenly things move fast or problems are resolved with out a lot of explanation which can leave the reader feeling a little cheated. Romancing America books don’t do this as bad since the stories blend together but there was a few times in this book where I was like “that’s it?”. Each story deals some with the stepmom yet we never really get to know her and by the last story she is almost likeable. She was an odd character.

Over all I really liked this book and recommend reading this book as well as others in this line.

269 reviews
April 19, 2013
Seattle Cinderella

Gail Sattler

Book Description: A modern Cinderella and her cohorts are enchanted by love in Seattle. Cindy is forced into running her late father’s muffler shop and employing horrid step-sisters, Annie and Zella. Can she garner the emotional energy needed to protect her heart against Luke’s princely charms? Annie Wilson’s past misdeeds have tarnished her reputation. Can she prove to herself and Brent that she’s a changed woman? Zella is busy writing her own life story. Will it involve murder or romance? Farrah, Cindy’s godmother, has caught a younger man’s eye. How long can she deter his advances? Will God make these couples’ dreams come true?

Review: Each story was a great stand alone. My biggest problem is that when I think of Cinderella, I am prone to not like the stepsisters. That took some time to deal with the other stories after Cindy. I also struggled at the start to get into the series. But once I did they took off and were enjoyable. I liked the fact that they did not try to gloss over the rocky relationship the girls had. They were quick and easy to read.
I would like to thank Net Galley and Barbour Publishing, Inc. for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone.
Profile Image for Kimberly Westrope.
Author 8 books6 followers
December 17, 2020
Four short stories with the same characters. These charming stories are clean, inspirational romances, with the first one being a modern-day rendition of Cinderella. The other stories involve the two step-sisters and Cindy’s godmother. Though I enjoyed them all, I particularly liked the first and third stories.
Profile Image for Ruth.
Author 24 books49 followers
September 17, 2021
I don't usually like novellas, but since this one was four together in one book, it wasn't too bad. I was able to get to know the characters through their own stories. I still would have liked more.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,742 reviews102 followers
March 3, 2012
3.5/5
After seeing the title of this, how could I resist? Cinderella is my favorite fairy-tale and I actively seek out retellings plus I used to live in the Seattle area. What I didn't realize is that this was a collection of four intertwined stories, beginning with Cindy, the retelling of Cinderella, and giving love stories to her two stepsisters and to her godmother. I'm going to talk about each briefly.

Cindy and the Prince: This is the story inspiring the title. Cindy runs her father's mechanic shop but only possesses a half interest which she must share with her cruel stepmother and lazy stepsisters. Luke works across the street and has been trying to win a date with Cindy for about six months.

Love by the Books: This was probably my favorite story, actually. It features Annie and Brent, stepsister to Cindy and business partner to Luke respectively. Brent greatly distrusts Annie after her cruel behavior to Cindy but Annie has undergone a transformation and wants to earn trust as she builds her career as an accountant. When she discovers discrepancies in Brent and Luke's books, most people assume she doesn't know what's talking about but Brent trusts her and helps her unravel what has been going down.

Till Death Do Us Part: Zella is the other stepsister who is trying to avoid her mother's matchmaking attempts by joining a book club. Only it's actually a club for writers of books. Zella reads a lot, especially the work of her favorite author T.J. Zareth. Unbeknownst to her, that is the pen name of her group mate Trevor who wants to court Zella without her knowing his secret identity.

Never Too Late: This last story features Cindy's godmother Farrah who has reached her fiftieth year without marrying after the untimely death of her fiance. She has contented herself that marriage is not in the cards for her. Until some meddling teenagers push her to dreamy vet Matt, who had avoided marriage as he is unable to father children.

The books share many things in common. Of course there's the characters who pop up in most of the stories to various degrees and it is all set around Seattle so there are some familiar locales to me from my time in the Seattle area. Christianity plays a role for all of the characters as they attend church and look for partners of faith.

The weird thing, to me, was how fast all of these couples get married. It seems to take about a week for them to be engaged and then another week for a quick wedding. What's the rush? I understand knowing that you're with the one and wanting to start your lives together but it seemed like they were in such a hurry instead of enjoying dating and getting to know each other. I admit that the timeline might have seemed compressed due to the shortness of the stories but it left me uncomfortable.

Overall: Cute little romance stories-fast reads with sweet characters. Remember these are short stories so not too much time can be spent on character development nor do plots have a chance to be drawn out. I think there's a little something for everyone who enjoys a romance story.
Profile Image for Jennifer Whitehead.
56 reviews2 followers
March 17, 2012
What a fun concept! This is an entertaining four-story tale that weaves three "stepsisters" and a "fairy godmother" together in a delightful little piece of literary fun.

Cindy and the Prince - This story begins with "Cindy" as the garage mechanic who is trying to keep her father's old business running. She is actively pursued by the owner of the local rental car agency "Prince Rentals," but unwillingly falls head-over-heels in a whirlwind romance. Delightful and punny - I enjoyed all the parallels to the classic story of Cinderella.

Love by the Books - a very "un-evil stepsister" is the focus of the next story. Annie decides to help out her stepsister's new husband by doing some accounting work for his car rental shop. She faces an ethical dilemma while trying to impress the handsome co-owner of the rental shop, Luke. The heroine in this story was a refreshing change from Cindy in the first book. She manages to be soft-spoken but sweet, while still believable.

Till Death Do Us Part - The next "stepsister" on the road to romance is Zella. She joins a writing club in an effort to get out of the house and away from her mother (the typical evil stepmother). She meets Trevor and is swept away by his attempts to "romance" her. This secretive man is the man of her dreams! I enjoyed this story the most, mainly because I liked the vulnerability of the hero.

Finally, Never Too Late - The fairy godmother has a chance at love in this short story. Farrah (ha - I love the name) is a bit older than the vet she meets while helping out some of her favorite teens. He has the feeling that this "lady friend" of his might be just the thing to complete his happily every after, if he can just convince her that their age difference doesn't matter.

Overall a delightful way to spend my time! Enjoyed the sweet love stories.
Profile Image for IrenesBookReviews.
954 reviews18 followers
March 6, 2012
Seattle Cinderella is written by Gail Sattler and published by Barbour Books.

This book has four separate love stories and they all take place in Seattle, Washington. The characters are all family or acquaintances so the stories flow well together. Although the stories are short the romances are believable and enjoyable.

In the first story, Cindy is running the family muffler shop and does not see the need for a man in her life. But can she resist Luke much longer? In the next story Annie must prove she has changed and win the heart of Brent. The third story finds Zella in a writing class and falling in love with her favorite author. The last story is very cute as Farrah is a little older then the man she has fallen for. Will he pursue her no matter their age difference?

Each story is a quick read. I liked the interaction of the main characters and how each story flowed well into the others. The minor characters in each story were also well written and help the stories move along. Overall a great book with four fun romances.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the copy of this book I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based on my opinion of what I read.
Profile Image for Ellen.
878 reviews
March 6, 2016
I've had this book on my to-read list for a long, long time. I wish I'd realized before I started reading it that it was a compilation of novellas. The problem with novellas is that they're just too short. Poorly written novellas aren't worth reading, and the well written ones just tease. Seattle Cinderella is well written. The characters are so likable that they could easily have merited books of their own and I really wish they had. In each of the four stories, I was just getting into the plot when suddenly the climax pops and sends the reader into a free fall. With the first two I actually cried out, "What? That's it?" By the third and fourth, my response was a sigh and a sardonic chuckle. I don't think it's the fault of the writer per se. Since this whole series follows this format, it seems to be what's expected. Unfortunately, that does mean I won't be picking up other Romancing America books. However, if you go into it expecting abrupt novellas, the stories themselves are charming and sweet.
Profile Image for Ana.
98 reviews
July 22, 2015
The only reason I read this book was because it was given to me a while back, and I currently don't have anything else to read. Plus, spring break. Mucho tiempo.

So, there's four short stories in this book. It's based on the classic Cinderella fairy tale. The stories revolve around four main characters - Cindy (Cinderella), Annie (Anastasia), Zella (Drizella), and Farrah (the fairy god mother).

I didn't enjoy the book, but I didn't hate it. It was just neutral. I felt that the stories were super short and not very well written out. The endings were definitely rushed. Love at first sight seemed to be the main theme throughout all four stories. I thought the "romance" was cute, but it was, like I said before, rushed and unrealistic.

But overall, the stories were sweet, though unrealistic and not very intriguing. And I like how the author made this into a somewhat Christian themed book.
Profile Image for Jennah.
255 reviews
May 6, 2014
I really enjoyed reading each of the four stories, the third one was my favorite! Cinderella is my favorite fairy-tale and that is what drew me to this book. It was neat to see how the author intertwined the characters with Cindy being Cinderella, Annie being the first step-sister, Zella being the second step-sister, and Farrah being the godmother. I do not think this book should fall in the category of being Christian Fiction, because there was no talk about God. The second story is the only one that could pass for being Christian Fiction, because Trevor will not marry Annie until she becomes a Believer (If I remembered correctly). The book did not have anything bad in it that I would not want to read so I still recommend it to those who like Christian Fiction books.
Profile Image for Shash.
472 reviews
January 1, 2016
I really enjoyed this collection of four stories with a Cinderella theme. The book is set in modern day Seattle. In the first story, Cindy finds her prince, Luke Princeton. The happily-ever-afters don't stop there. Her stepsisters, Annie and Zella, who now have a good relationship with Cindy, also get their happy endings. In the last story, Farrah, Cindy's godmother, also finds love. These stories had me smiling and I didn't want to stop reading. Each couple gets engaged and married very fast, and issues are wrapped up quickly, but I was okay with that. Whenever I read a novella I expect that, and read with a different mindset.
Profile Image for Denae Zvarick.
21 reviews15 followers
January 12, 2013
This is a fun romance of four stories following the cinderella theme. The first stories is about cinderella, the second two about her stepsisters, and the third being about her godmother. Set in modern times, "Cinderella" owns an auto shop while the "prince" owns a used car rental across the street. The stories are good, short, and funny. I really enjoyed this book.
Profile Image for Tony.
215 reviews
June 14, 2017
I really liked this book. It's a great collection of stories and of course I loved how the first story follows the story line of the classic Cinderella. I read this so fast because I just couldn't put it down. The first three stories were MUCH better than the last one but yes, I liked the entire book.
Profile Image for Kimberly.
Author 49 books315 followers
April 15, 2013
I really enjoyed this book. I liked having four short stories that were related, but separate. I don't like being stressed when I read a book and this book was fun and relaxing, exactly what I was looking for.
17 reviews
December 22, 2012
Cute stories but completely unrealistic. I can't believe every story ended in exactly the same way. Disappointing.
Profile Image for Megan.
1,156 reviews
August 17, 2013
Sweet, very fast reads. Good for a little shot of romance on hyperdrive. Like the Seattle location since that's my backyard. Again, good clean love w a touch of God is always enjoyable.
Profile Image for Penny.
159 reviews4 followers
October 16, 2013
Wonderful short stories all superbly written. All excellent characters you will not soon forget.
Profile Image for Beth Butler.
338 reviews
March 15, 2015
Very predictable. Very happy. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and ending up smiling at the end of each novella.
15 reviews
October 26, 2015
Four cute, quick, happy reads. Not deep or thought provoking. Loved the church dates! :)
278 reviews
January 27, 2016
This book was good. The romance was clean.

I thought the last story was a little strange, seeing how she was 12 years younger than him. But she did look very young for her age.
Displaying 1 - 28 of 28 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.