Start by marking “The Integral Vision: A Very Short Introduction to the Revolutionary Integral Approach to Life, God, the Universe, and Everything” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  359 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Suppose we took everything that all the various world cultures have to tell us about human potential—about psychological, spiritual, and social growth—and identified the basic patterns that connect these pieces of knowledge. What if we attempted to create an all-inclusive map that touches the most important factors from all of the world's great traditions?

Ken Wilber's Int
Published August 14th 2007 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Integral Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Integral Vision

Kara
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-notes
Ooohlala, how to describe this thing? This was some very condescending, even occasionally ridiculous airport reading for me recently. It was recommended to me by someone I respect tremendously as an introduction to Wilber's Integral Life Practice and especially the underlying theory. It's a horrible introduction of any and all ideas. It seems to presume the reader has never learned to think critically or rigorously and proposes quadrants, lines, etc. as an *all-purpose* framework for all future ...more
Garrett Dunnington
Wilber presents a methodology that seems to be very abstracted, and I feel that anyone would be totally fine if they did not follow this methodology. In my rational treatment of this review, and with my heart on aesthetics, I will say that I am a person that is interested in the transcendental, and this seems to be far-removed from any kind of method that has any convenience.
I have read only papers of Wilber as well as reading the introduction to another book (can't remember). I suppose any met
Steve Turtell
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're unfamiliar with Wilber's work and are somewhat daunted by the prospect of reading the longer books (A Brief History of Everything or Sex, Ecology, Spirituality) this is a good place to start. It's short, clear, and practical. It provides a concise description of many of Wilber's ideas and also gives excellent advice about how to use them. Highly recommended for Wilber newbies.
Steve
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Wilbur is always interesting, even if he does write the same book again and again. This one tries to cram too much into a short "introduction" with lots of graphics. It's a pretty artifact, but not the place I'd start.
Kifflie
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
A good short introduction to the work of Ken Wilber, outlining the AQAL approach, and including some very brief exercises on bringing the integral approach into one's personal life.
Phil Calandra
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
"The Integral Vision...." is the author's paradigm of helping one see both yourself and the world around you in a more comprehensive and effective way. The book is very abstract, difficult to follow and makes no connection to how It can improve your life. This book just did not resonate with me and I would not recommend it
James
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this because Ken Wilber's name comes up and the idea of Integral spirituality sometimes in my reading and online discussions. I wanted to know more about what it is. Essentially it is a blend of Eastern philosophy, mysticism , and psychology. Wilber argues for the connection between things--everything is integral when you progress to deeper levels of consciousness.

As an enthusiastic disciple of Jesus and a believer in Christian particularity, I kind of disagree with the premise of Integr
Adam
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A decent layman's introduction to integral theory, but the visual rhetoric here is almost laughably transparent in its attempt to be hip, contemporary, and accessible. And, as always, Wilber sabotages these already silly attempts at making his scholarship approachable with his consistent indulgence in overly poetic language and New Age sensibility. While I totally agree with and support his ideas, I find myself seriously questioning his presentation. What he needs to do sometime soon is write fo ...more
Dina Colman
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I would probably give 5 stars to anything written by Ken Wilber. Wilber and his work are a big influence in the founding of my company and writing of my book, Four Quadrant Living. I took the four quadrant model from Integral Theory and applied to health, resulting in the four quadrants of Mind, Body, Relationships, and Environment. The Integral Vision is a great introduction to Integral Theory. Integral Theory is a comprehensive world philosophy that that helps us understand human life and pote ...more
Eire Boudicca
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although this was almost a tad too abstract for me to comprehend immediately (I had to read some parts a few times over), I really enjoyed this holistic theorizing and it reminded me a lot of the lists and charts that I used to make a few years ago when I was making plans on how to heal myself. I wish I had read this book back then! I still got a lot out of it now, though, and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in seeing society and spirituality from a big-picture framework.
John Holliday
Jul 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book can help us understand others and their seemingly crazy beliefs. Wilber has created a map, a sort of grand unified theory, that can organize diverse belief systems. Also he includes lines of personal development, and he has ideas for advancement. All that, and it is brief and well illustrated!
Kimberley
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this "very short introduction to the Revolutionary Integral Approach to Life, God, the Universe, and Everything." I love studying integral theory, and I especially love it when it's simply written. My favorite line in the book was: "Self, nature and culture are liberated together or not at all." It doesn't seem so profound right now, but when I first read it, I thought, "Wow."
Katja Sannikova
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very short introduction to the work of Ken Wilber, which I deeply respect.
I was even surprised with the simplicity of Wilber's language in _this_ book. It reminds me sometimes the language of pop self-help books (sorry, please)) I think it may be good to get aquainted with Wilber's work: to understand what AQAL, Integral Life Practis, etc is.

Elizabeth
May 13, 2011 marked it as to-read
Jason
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This didn't serve me as well as reading the bigger books of Wilber's. It is a beautifully designed book, really a masterpiece, but I've enjoyed reading the other books better. This tries to cram too much into one little book. Still, it's a fun book. It just didn't work for me as an introduction to the Integral approach.
Jake
Ken Wilber is an incredible intellectual and author. He is a great source for those of us who enjoy exploring the crossroads between philosophy, science, and spirituality.

This little book is a great introduction to some of Wilber's key concepts.
Steve Wilson
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
For such a small book, it contains some massive ideas. I must admit I was a little bogged down during some of the middle parts, but the finale was outstanding. I am interested in reading more of his ideas.
David
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
While this book offers a very ambitious and important perspective of reality, I feel that its approach is a bit of a turn off and that it is quite flowery, new age-y, and repetitive. Overall, I think the message is important enough to try to see through those things
Willa
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, easy to read, beautifully done with artwork and cool designs... Ken Wilber's least scientific work, but probably the most accessible, and as he's condensed his thought so much there are some real gems in there.
Nick Pollitt
May 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
I haven't had the time to read the full story from Wilber's "Sex, Ecology, and Spirituality" but I think this is a good introduction to Integral theory. So far it's interesting, and his writing style is geared toward the modern technophile audience.
Beth
Dec 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psych
I read this book as part of an introductory class to Wilber's work. It is accessible, especially when compared to his other writings and serves as a good introduction if you want to go deeper into his work.
Jessica
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
I've read several of Ken Wilber's books before, so this book was not exactly new material for me. I still found it totally fascinating and exciting. If you're looking to do a bit of life improvement and want an inclusive and intelligent way of doing it, start with this book.
Robert
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
An excellent introduction/refreshed for Ken Wilber's Integral Theory framework.
Jack Holden
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic
Dan
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
As the subtitle implies, a very short and concise introduction to the paradigm-assimilating work of Ken Wilber.

"Self, Culture, and Nature must be liberated all together or not at all."
Dbomatter
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
great overview of Wilber's theory. Great book to give to a friend who wants to know about integral.
Chris Stone
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Thought provoking.
Eugene Pustoshkin
Замечательное введение в интегральный подход Кена Уилбера, богатое иллюстрациями и написанное доступным языком. Рекомендуется для первого знакомства с его трудами.
Chad
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
This is a great, VERY brief introduction to Ken Wilbers work.
Clivemichael
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Entertaining, somewhat presumptious, bordering on self righteous, but valuable and informative
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Pierre Teilhard de Chardin: Writings Selected with an Introduction
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World
  • The Future of the Body: Explorations into the Further Evolution of Human Nature
  • The Translucent Revolution: How People Just Like You Are Waking Up and Changing the World
  • The Book of Goddesses
22075
Ken Wilber is the most widely translated academic writer in America, with 25 books translated into some 30 foreign languages, and is the first philosopher-psychologist to have his Collected Works published while still alive. Wilber is an internationally acknowledged leader and the preeminent scholar of the Integral stage of human development, which continues to gather momentum around the world. Hi ...more
More about Ken Wilber...