Start by marking “Maybe With a Chance of Certainty (Tales from Foster High, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maybe With a Chance of Certainty (Tales from Foster High, #1)

Maybe With a Chance of Certainty

(Tales from Foster High #1)

Kyle has worked hard at being the invisible student, toiling through high school in the middle of Nowhere, Texas. Brad is the baseball star at Foster High. Both boys are damaged in ways that the rest of the world can’t see. When they bond over a night of history tutoring, Kyle thinks that maybe his life has taken a turn for the not-so-lonely.

He finds out quickly that the p
ebook, 2nd Edition: Expanded Version, 98 pages
Published October 19th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published June 1st 2011)

T.A. Webb
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"I don't remember the moment I knew I was broken...but I do recall when I started to understand it might be okay. It was the moment I fell in love with the boy with the green eyes."

Sigh.

Kyle is the loner in school - intelligent, socially awkward, alcoholic abusive mother. Gay.

Brad is the star of the baseball team, one of the gods of high school. Popular, beautiful. Unattainable.

When Brad asks Kyle to tutor him in history, it sparks a change in both young men that has to be read to be savored.

I L
Kyle
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
At first glance I thought it was going to be a stereotypical nerd and jock fall in love story. In the end, although it was say 60% stereotypical, there was enough meat in it to make it a book I liked.
A Girl Has No Name
4 stars!

When I read the blurb for Maybe With a Chance of Certainty, I was pretty sure that the story would just be like all the other ones out there, where the high school jock - in need of tutition in order to keep his place in the team - is suddenly falling for the shy nerdy kid.

But somehow John Goode was able to create incredibly well sketched characters I immediately started caring for. They have their secrets, they are feeling broken, but they are willing to believe in a better future. Th
Elsa Bravante
Qué buen YA, con su dosis de dulzura, inteligente, con referencias a la cultura popular, bien escrito, con sentido del humor y con situaciones y personajes que hacen que se te rompa un poquito el corazón.
El chico nerd y el deportista, tan diferentes y tan iguales. ¿Cómo una preferencia sexual puede marcar así la vida de una persona? Por más que lo intento analizar ese rechazo y ese odio es algo totalmente incomprensible para mi.
Muy recomendable, yo seguiré con la serie.
Elsbeth
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

BR, with Paul and Sonia (re-read)

Re-reading this series has surprised me.... Knowing what the future holds for these boys, to read again how they first met is precious!!
I've said it before but I'm still in awe that John is capable in turning these "book characters" into real people!! Because they really do feel like my friends.

Also this series will always stay close to my heart because it brought me to my M/M family. I can't express myself enough to say what that means to me,
to be able to connec
Ele
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-na
*4.5 stars*

Who’s late to this party? Like…6 years late. In my defense, I very rarely read MM YA because my few attempts at it were a big failure. These days I only read YA by a couple of authors. But recently I read John Goode’s Jordan Vs All The Boys which prompted me to finally take the leap and start Foster High that has been laying in my kindle for ages.

This is not Ele’s essay about YA vs the rest of fiction. I’m mentioning it because if you ‘re anything like me, you 're steering clear from
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
My original review for the short version of this book released as a daily dose said simply “I loved this one but way too short... not sure how I will wait for the sequel”

After reading the extended addition my opinion changed drastically. I hated the addition to the story. This ruined the book for me. I found Kyle’s inner monologue longer and less interesting in second half. The never ending car metaphor got tiring to read about.

What I really hated (view spoiler)
Emir Ibañez
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favoritos
Este libro me recordó por qué amo leer. En serio, necesito más estrellas.
Es la primera vez que decido leer unas de estas series de novelas cortas solo disponibles en ebook pero ya que estaba con tiempo libre quería leer algo sencillo y ligero, y decidí empezar por el primer tomo de esta serie.
Jamás pensé que me iba a encontrar con una historia escrita de una manera tan HERMOSA. El estilo del autor es fabuloso, y el personaje protagonista, Kyle, es el chico más tierno de la historia, quiero ir co
Ami
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
(view spoiler) ...more
Amy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Marco Mill
Shelves: ya
I knew I was going to *love* this book before I even finished the Author’s Note.

high school boys + plenty of angst + a plethora of John Hughes movie references + ME = A Sure Thing!! <= see what I did there, another 80s movie reference :)

I will admit, I’m a child of the 80s and a John Hughes movie junkie... Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles. I grew up on these movies and always dreamed of that fairytale ending. But sometimes
Lauraadriana
As you walk on by...Will you call my name?...When you walk away...

Kyle is BROKEN. He knows it. How could he not be, he is at the mercy of an alcoholic and abusive mother. He also is aware that that feeling he has of being "different", when it becomes something that he can no longer avoid, will only make his life more difficult. He just wants to fade away. Walk the halls of Foster High unseen, just wait these four years out unnoticed. He's good at it too, he's perfected the art of invisibility.

U
Bev
I loved this one, a tale of the invisible school nerd Kyle and the extremely popular school jock Brad. 4.5 stars and ♥♥♥♥♥ from me.

John Goode's writing was divine, this was a really good contemporary version of a fairytale where the Prince always saves the hero/heroine...or does he?? This first book in the series is entirely from Kyle's POV. Kyle is only 'visible' to his teachers but that is his choice, he feels that the less he makes his presence known, the easier his life will be at school...
Trisha Harrington
Kyle and Brad are two teenagers who are both gay but neither are out to the world. Kyle comes from bad part of town and he is poor and has an abusive alcoholic mother. Brad's dad is abusive also and in an argument they admit the truth to one another. The book was really good and I liked the parts where Brad stood up for Kyle but especially where Kyle stood up for himself. I wanted to kick Brad once or twice but the course of true love never runs smoothly they say. :)
Nik
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: yl, kindle-lend, m-m
I read this bc it seemed to have decent reviews and I was looking for something not too heavy and this seemed like as good a book as any for what I wanted. It started out OK but, went downhill fast in my opinion. The whole story felt extremely rushed. At the beginning of the book, these two characters have never even spoken to each other and then a few pages later they're kissing? Oh and by the way, prior to said kiss Kyle doesn't even know that Brad is in the closet and Brad only has a suspicio ...more
Kaje Harper
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ya
So besides having a great title, Maybe With a Chance of Certainty is a fun read with a wry, bright and engaging narrator, Kyle. He's pretty insightful too, although occasionally his insight went further into the vehicle analogies than I could follow. The up-and-down swings of hope and despair that Kyle went through were very realistic for high-school to me. The all-around perfect boy Brad turns out to have some feet of clay. And the resolution is satisfying. There are some great lines, which I a ...more
Christina Marie
Broken Kyle managed to break my heart into tiny little pieces.

photo BreakfastClubNerd_zpsddb71ec4.gif

Kyle is damaged. He is the only child of an abusive alcoholic mother. An outlet for her rage and fists. He learns early in life to tiptoe through the house, because being noticed means pain.

Kyle is different. He realizes that he isn’t the same as the other boys his age. He doesn’t like girls, his eyes drift to the other boys, he’s poor, he’s socially awkward, and he’s probably a nerd since he was cursed with a brain.

Kyle is invisib
Meags
4 Stars

That was definitely more gloomier content than I’m used to encountering in my YA reads. It left me feeling raw and exposed, with a weird sense of foreboding the entire time (view spoiler) It mentally took me back to that awkward and somewhat scary place one only truly experiences as a teenager, when every emotion was heightened, personal insecurities were running ra
Serena Yates
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
This is a great story about two boys in high school getting to know each other better over a history tutoring session. The storyline really is as simple s that, but the richness of Kyle's thoughts and fears is amazing and well portrayed. There are a few surprises along the way, as Kyle learns more about Brad and why he was asked to help. This short book is written with great sensitivity, showing there is a depth to the characters which makes me hope for a sequel.
Lara
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Motherfucking fairy tales.

Forgive me for my excessive use of quotes. This book was written for me to quote...

Kyle knew he was different, but he was doing just fine. Well, not fine exactly, but he was making it through high school unnoticed and that was what he was going for. He was making it even with an alcoholic mother who beat him and a funny (not in a ha, ha way) feeling towards boys. He didn't realize he was broken and he wasn't crying out for help. After all, he knew the problem with cri
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
I found this short story edition on my Kindle. I thought it would be a better to read this first before I start with Tales from Foster High. Which I haven't read yet. (Shock!!! I know... I'm sooo late to this party.)

I liked it a lot and now I can't wait to start to read the series.
Melissa
This was delightfully different than other teenage romance stories I've read. It was funny and also serious, and the MCs are somewhat realistic in their actions. :) Granted, I haven't been in high school in a while, but never in a million years would the kids in my school have done what Brad and Kyle did. Just sayin'.

The ending made me want to immediately start the next book, which is good because I have the next in my hands. I was able to borrow the first few in the series from my library so of
Alvin

I was ready to give this story 3 stars when I came to the DREADED 70%...

...and then it ended. It made wanna shout a WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!

One of the better Gay YA novellas/stories out there. RECOMMENDED.

4 STARS!
Sadonna
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm
This really brought back memories of high school. I think I was pretty numb most of the time - and that was definitely my defensive position. The author did a great job of capturing those horrible feelings of insecurity and impending disaster/doom. And of course I love the homage to the Breakfast Club (thank you John Hughes). I hope to read more from this author.
Tess
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*
Why did I wait so long to start this series?! I like it, it's pretty intense though.
Catherine
This story reads like a giant love letter to John Hughes (and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way).

It was a serviceable coming-of-age / accept-thyself story, but I found the characters to be too perfectly flawed to be believable. It also didn't help that the narrator's voice didn't sound like any teenager I've ever met (too hyper self-aware). That said, it had undeniably sweet moments and a handful of difficult/awkward moments that made for a good emotional balance in the story.

So... I
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
One Word

"I think you need to get a bigger history book
if you're gonna sport wood in the hallway from now on"
After dialogue like this,thank goodness I get to read the next book right away

*Happy Dance* I wish gif came with music...lol
Runell
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Runell by: Katie
I really, really liked this one.

Yeah, Kyle sounds a little too wise for his years, but it's not improbable.

But just as he sounded a little too wise for his years, some of his actions were very much that of a teenager.

It balanced itself out, I guess.

Even if it didn't though, I still really, really liked it.
YA LGBT Books: Maybe With a Chance of Certainty *may include spoilers* 117 89 Apr 14, 2012 07:01AM
Dreamspinner Press: John Goode 24 52 Mar 26, 2012 07:44PM
Dreamspinner Press: Maybe with a Chance of Certainty by John Goode 1 23 Oct 19, 2011 08:05AM
  • Another Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #2)
  • Love Is In The Title (Love #1)
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • Wrestling With Desire
  • Always Joey
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • The Zero Knot
  • The Price of Falling
  • Outtakes of A Walking Mistake
  • Kamikaze Boys
  • Unintended
  • Our December (The Making of a Man #1)
John Goode is a member of the class of '88 from Hogwarts school of wizardry, specializing in incantations and spoken spells. At the age of 14 he proudly represented District 13 in the 65th Panem games where he was disqualified for crying uncontrollably before the competition began. After that he moved to Forks, Washington where, against all odds, dated the hot, incredibly approachable werewolf ins ...more

Tales from Foster High (10 books)
  • End of the Beginning (Tales from Foster High, #2)
  • Raise Your Glass (Tales from Foster High, #3)
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4)
  • Taking Chances (Tales from Foster High, #5)
  • 151 Days (Tales from Foster High, #6)
  • A Way Back To Then (Tales from Foster High, #7)
  • When I Grow Up (Tales From Foster High, #8)
  • What About Everything? (Tales from Foster High, #9)
  • Dream of a Waking Man (Tales from Foster High, #10)
“I don't remember the moment I knew I was broken...but I do know the moment I began to feel fixed. It was the day the green eyed boy fell in love with me.” 49 likes
“We are told in fairy tales that evil always loses and good eventually will triumph. That is what makes those stories so desirable to the general population. They want to believe that karma works and the bad guys are always defeated in the end. But in a world where no one thinks they are the bad guy and everyone plays the victim, it is harder and harder to find the black and the white of a situation. We are all the hero, and we are all the monster.” 37 likes