Start by marking “The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard #1)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  110,506 Ratings  ·  7,957 Reviews
In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part "Robin Hood", one part Ocean's Eleven, and entirely enthralling...

An orp
Published July 27th 2006 by Bantam Spectra (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Lies of Locke Lamora, please sign up.

Hayley Through the book there are:

Through the book there are:

Total number of Fucks (and variations thereof; such as: fucker, fuck-up, fucking, fucked, fuckdamn, motherfucker etc.) used: 185
Other overly colorful language used: 33 (counted in regards to context)

So a decent amount, but it really adds to the feel of the universe and the characters seem real. They talk how normal people talk to friends and family.(less)
Liv Joy Locke... I'm as much a head over heels for him as possible for a fictional character ___ I'm totally drooling over his genius!! :'D…moreLocke... I'm as much a head over heels for him as possible for a fictional character ❤___❤ I'm totally drooling over his genius!! :'D(less)
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
The Best Epic Fantasy
13th out of 2,600 books — 18,973 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussA Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
11th out of 1,782 books — 6,616 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Oct 10, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Back when I was first published, people made a lot of comparisons between me and Scott Lynch.

The sentiment was mostly along the lines of "Pat Rothfuss is the next Scott Lynch!"

Here's the thing, Lies of Lock Lamora had come out almost exactly a year before my first book, The Name of the Wind. It was Scott's first book, the first in a fantasy series. The world was gritty and real, and it had knocked everyone over with how good it was.

So I knew it was a flattering comparison, but at the time, I
Michael
Ocean's Eleven was great and everything, but know what would've made it cooler? If the setting had been during the late middle ages, possibly the Renaissance. Better yet, a fantasy world version of the Renaissance with an intricate system of magic and a complex set of political conspiracies to add some flair. And what if the city was built upon the ruins of an earlier city, and the earlier city was built by some enigmatic science fiction creatures that have since disappeared?

And if instead of a
Nataliya
Apr 02, 2012 Nataliya rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy full of humor, adventures, and blood.
The Lies of Locke Lamora is a love child of Ocean's Eleven and The Godfather. With blood, deaths, betrayals, money, and drowning in horse urine. With a sh*tload of non-PG humor. All for the price of one. And it's SO. GOOD.

“Some day, Locke Lamora,” he said, “some day, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope that I’m still around to see it.”
Mark Lawrence
So, I was surprised to discover we owned this book, since it's a very well known book but nobody in my house had ever mentioned it to me.

Turns out my wife bought it, tried it, found it too slow, and gave up. I've convinced her to give it another go.

I enjoyed Locke Lamora and his lies quite a bit. Immediately I liked the writing, which combines wit with solid prose. Like my wife I hit a bit of a soft patch early on, though for me it was that I was finding the point of view very 'surface' sharing
Kat Stark
Feb 29, 2016 Kat Stark rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kat Stark by: Julie Covington

Buddyread with the super sweet Sakina (Click to read her review)

This will be a checklist review. The only reason why I didn't give this a 5 is because it took me almost half the book to actually get into the story. Other than that, it was superb.

Locke Lamora
"'Someday, Locke Lamora,' he said, 'Someday, you're going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hop
Samantha
Apr 21, 2016 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Did we really expect me to rate this anything less than 5 stars? I've called head over heels in love with these characters and this world, and I cannot wait to continue on with this series.
Kelly
From the first threat to use someone's balls as fish bait to the last attempt to drown someone in horse piss, I absolutely adored this book. It is absolutely everything it should be, and then some. Emphasis on the and then some because it completely defied my expectations on many levels, both genre-wise and quality wise.

Set in a freaky, mystical alternate Renaissance Venice, the story takes place amongst the underworld thieves and gangs of the city. Our protagonist (I definitely won't call him a
Pierce Brown
Dec 10, 2013 Pierce Brown rated it it was amazing
It's not often I read a book that makes me forget I'm a writer too. This one succeeded, madly. It stole hours of sleep. It wrapped me in cozy myth. It gave me the blessing of feeling like a kid again, snuggled up with a book, wondering how the hell 10pm became 4am.

Find. Buy. Consume.
Mpauli
Hello, distinguished review reader. What a nice coincidence stumbling into you here on this expression of thought.
Odd chance, you say? Well, I have to be honest with you. I actually planned this for quite a while. I'm playing the long con game with this review.
I set up a profile on this site, joined some groups and build a network of friends. And all leads up to today's review.
So, I kind of tricked you to lay eyes on these lines of lies.

All that I learned from my days with the Gentleman Bastards
Anne
2.5 stars...maybe a full 3?

I'm having such a hard time with how I feel about this book!
I was looking for another fantasy/heist book like The Palace Job, and The Lies of Locke Lamora has so many great reviews that I thought it would be an easy win for me.
Ehhh. Yes and no. But mostly no.

Let me be the first to admit that the problems I had with this one?
Well, they might be exactly why every other reader loved it.

It took me forever to get through this. It felt like years went by while I tried to ge
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
BR with the BBB gang starting January 11, 2016.

DNF at 31%

Warning: I pretty much have nothing to say about this book. Does it mean my review will be short? Now now, people, don't be so naïve.

Okay, let's do some quick maths here. I read the first 31% of this book. This book is 752 pages long (it feels like it's 2,500 pages long, but don't tell anyone I said that). Which means I read about 230 pages of this Delightful Piece of Fast-Paced Awesomeness (DPFPA). Which means I should have something
Rick Riordan
Feb 19, 2014 Rick Riordan rated it really liked it
Another great fantasy, this novel follows a talented rogue and conman, Locke Lamora, through his adventures in Camorr, a city loosely patterned after Venice, but set in a world where humans have built their society over the ruins of a much older race called the Eldren. Locke rises from an orphaned beggar to become one of the most wanted thieves in the city, and along the way makes some enemies in very high places – the Duke’s head of secret police, ‘the Spider,’ the capa of the city’s underworld ...more
mark monday
Feb 21, 2011 mark monday rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantastickal
this was a wonderful, wonderful experience. it is hard to give a specific rationale for why i loved this book - there are so many reasons! it has adventure, flair, great characters, a robust narrative, a satisfying conclusion, is exceedingly clever and well-written, and just heaps of fun. it is a good-hearted book. terrible things do happen, but the book has at its core a love of humanity, of life, of loyalty, of kindness, of the ways that family can be created, of the ways that children can sur ...more
julio
Jan 15, 2016 julio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
what to say that hasn't been said already?

nothing! so i'll say it all over again.

fun dialogue. great setting—but the author's way more in love with it than i ever got to be, so his endless digressions were frustrating. some of them had a satisfying impact on the story, but some were just random, and frequently set in the past, in a series of irritating interludes right when something exciting was about to happen.

some characters wander off, never to be seen again; some are brutally murdered; one
Kemper
Nov 18, 2014 Kemper rated it really liked it
It’s seems the most common way of describing this is that it’s like Ocean’s Eleven set in a fantasy world. That’s accurate enough for the first part of the book that tells how Locke Lamora and his group of Gentlemen Bastards run elaborate cons on the upper class population of the city of Camorr while pretending to be simple petty thieves to the criminal underworld. This early phase certainly resembles the kind of zany schemes that the Ocean’s Eleven crew pull in their movies in which they’re alw ...more
Manny
Jun 16, 2014 Manny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

As enjoyed by top Grandmasters. Photos taken yesterday at the World Rapid Chess Championships in Dubai suggest that Peter Svidler, current world #13, would rather be reading Scott Lynch than pushing pawns...

description

description

Kay
Apr 20, 2012 Kay rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: circumspect people
Recommended to Kay by: those with larceny in their hearts
This is one of the most unique books that I've had the utmost pleasure of reading in a long, long time. The best way to describe this book is that is has a dam-breaking volume of pure, unadulterated

People compare this book to the likes of The Godfather and Ocean's Eleven. I'll follow the pattern and compare the book to the grit and vulgarity of Goodfellas! But such flattering associations notwithstanding, this book is undeniably unique and stands strong by itself.

This book is an opus of careful
Markus
Jul 03, 2016 Markus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
The Lies of Locke Lamora is one of the most popular fantasy novels of (somewhat) recent years. This fact is actually very understandable, as it's a book with obvious appeal to the mass market, without being especially remarkable.

Am I saying that it was a disappointment? No, not at all. It's an entertaining tale, and Scott Lynch has a fun style. But the language is simple, the scope of both storyline and setting is very small, and the book as a whole contains little complexity. What it does have,
Bookworm Sean
Feb 22, 2016 Bookworm Sean rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 4-star-reads
Some books evoke a distinctive feeling, or atmosphere, that can only be associated with that said book. This is no less true for The Lies of Lock Lamora by Scott Lynch. From the very early on I knew what kind of stuff this would be about, and how gritty it was going to become. Indeed, this book turns into a violent mess.

That’s because ancient city of Camorr is infested with thieves, pickpockets, schemers and violent gang leaders. But, the worse of the bunch is the priests. Father Chains is a pr
Dan Schwent
Jun 29, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Locke Lamora and his gang, the Gentlemen Bastards, have been fleecing the nobility of Camorr for several years. While engaged in their latest scam, Locke gets betrothed to the daughter of the Capa, the crimelord of the city, and the Gray King starts picking off the Capa's subbordinates. Can The Gentlemen Bastards finish their con, free Locke from marrying the Capa's daughter and avoid the Gray King's attention?

Yeah, that summary's as misleading as a transvestite hooker but this isn't the kind of
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Actual rating : 4.5 stars

"Someday, Locke Lamora,” he said, “someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it.”
“Oh please,” said Locke. “It’ll never happen."

I'm only reading this because I fucking love when I don't understand shit at first.
Liar!

I'm only reading this because I always dreamed to go through awfully lo
Stacia (the 2010 club)
So this one was an interesting journey. I can't recall the last time it took me so long to finish a book (not counting the Song of Ice and Fire books and that was only because I was reading along with the t.v. show one episode at a time). Was it two weeks about to get through Lies of Locke Lamora? I don't even know now but it took for-flipping-ever.

You'd think if the book was so hard to soldier though, I would have quit out. Well Crystal and I were buddy reading this and I think we both stubbor
Nancy
Jun 22, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
It took me over a month to read this, not because it was a bad book, but because I had a couple of tough classes to get through. Still, it was a very enjoyable and much needed break and maybe one of these days I’ll read it again. Oh, how I hate those real-life intrusions that keep me from getting immersed in a story!

Many comparisons have been made to the film, Oceans Eleven. While I enjoyed the film when I saw it a few years ago, I cannot remember a single detail now. I have a feeling that this
Robin (Bridge Four)
Read with all my other buddy reading addicts at Buddies Books & Baubles

Fantasy meets The Great Con - I’d like to say that the MCs of the story rob from the rich to give to the poor like Robin Hood. But they don’t. I’d like to say the people he is stealing from are jerks and deserve it. But they don’t. I’d like to say they are really good people and just got a bad start in life. But that isn’t entirely true either.

What is true is that Locke and the Gentleman bastards steal from the wealthy b
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Feb 20, 2011 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Epic fantasy readers who enjoy antiheroes
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) by: Fantasy Aficionados Group Read
I have to say that I was very impressed with this story. The worldbuilding was excellent and distinct to me. The setting of this book was like Pre-Renaissance Italy, with Faerie architectural elements and fantastical magic thrown in, but never overwhelming. I especially appreciated that Mr. Lynch went with a group of characters who were admittedly seedy, but utterly lovable, The Gentlemen Bastards. This whole world is very much on the edge of unpalatability. You can see and smell the filthy and ...more
Carol.
Dec 25, 2015 Carol. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of rogues, fantasy readers
Scott Lynch has made a name for himself in fantasy circles with The Lies of Locke Lamora. It is an enjoyable read that focuses on the initiation of a roguish Locke into the underworld of Camoor, a city that bears no small resemblance to Venice (minus the sharks, I suppose). It is populated with interesting characters, has a swiftly moving plot, and takes place in an interesting fantasy setting, so there's something to appeal to most fantasy readers.

From the beginning, dialogue is a strength in t
Stephen
6.0 stars. On my list of "All Time Favorite" Novels...and probably in my overall top 5. As good as anything I have read in a long time. I have recently read both this book and The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and I must say that the genre's future certainly looks bright.

The good traits of this novel are almost too many to name, incredible world-building, superb use of magic, outstanding characters that create a real sense of connection with the readers and a fast-paced, well thought out
seak
Apr 14, 2014 seak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, top-12-fantasy
I could not put this book down. I haven't been this excited to read every time I pick up the book since, well I guess I've been reading lots of good stuff lately so... since very recently. But, great read nonetheless. This group of thieves piqued my interest when I heard they were called the Gentlemen Bastards and they didn't let me down. Thank you Scott Lynch, this was great.
Catie
Apr 09, 2012 Catie rated it really liked it
I’ve seen a few readers refer to this book as “fast-paced” and my honest opinion is that this book is anything but. This story wanders; it spends time on the small details; it reveals itself slowly. Reading this book is like standing nose to tile with a mosaic and backing away one tiny step at a time. We’re given a tile here, a tile there…one from the past, one from the present, a piece of random history, a side-note about one of the characters. The completed picture isn’t visible until you’re a ...more
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2 1/2

I'm not really sure what I think of the book.

I liked it from the outset - the description of all the trouble little Locke gave the poor Thiefmaker was fun. For a large part of the first half of the book, I actually enjoyed the "Interludes" more than I did the plot they were setting up. I felt too much time was spent with the Salvaras and setting all that up, and even though it became relevant, it still coulda been cut down, I think.

Also, the disjointed time-line in the beginning, that luc
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Lies of Locke Lamora 12 24 11 minutes ago
Tiny Little Book ...: Locke Lamora'nın yalanları 3 15 May 31, 2016 03:10AM
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bonehunters (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • Among Thieves (Tales of the Kin, #1)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Three Parts Dead (Craft Sequence, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1-3)
  • Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)
  • Inda (Inda, #1)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this s
More about Scott Lynch...

Gentleman Bastard (7 books)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
  • The Ministry of Necessity (Gentleman Bastard, #5)
  • The Mage and the Master Spy (Gentleman Bastard, #6)
  • Inherit the Night (Gentleman Bastard, #7)

“Someday, Locke Lamora,” he said, “someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it.”
“Oh please,” said Locke. “It’ll never happen.”
770 likes
“There’s no freedom quite like the freedom of being constantly underestimated.” 526 likes