Start by marking “The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)

The Lies of Locke Lamora

(Gentleman Bastard #1)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  166,121 Ratings  ·  11,363 Reviews
In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part "Robin Hood", one part Ocean's Eleven, and entirely enthralling...

An orp
Published July 27th 2006 by Bantam Spectra (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Lies of Locke Lamora, please sign up.
Justin This book elevates profanity and vulgarity to an artform.
Liv Joy Locke... I'm as much a head over heels for him as possible for a fictional character ❤___❤ I'm totally drooling over his genius!! :'D

Patrick
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Back when I was first published, people made a lot of comparisons between me and Scott Lynch.

The sentiment was mostly along the lines of "Pat Rothfuss is the next Scott Lynch!"

Here's the thing, Lies of Lock Lamora had come out almost exactly a year before my first book, The Name of the Wind. It was Scott's first book, the first in a fantasy series. The world was gritty and real, and it had knocked everyone over with how good it was.

So I knew it was a flattering comparison, but at the time, I
Michael
Ocean's Eleven was great and everything, but know what would've made it cooler? If the setting had been during the late middle ages, possibly the Renaissance. Better yet, a fantasy world version of the Renaissance with an intricate system of magic and a complex set of political conspiracies to add some flair. And what if the city was built upon the ruins of an earlier city, and the earlier city was built by some enigmatic science fiction creatures that have since disappeared?

And if instead of a
Mark Lawrence
So, I was surprised to discover we owned this book, since it's a very well known book but nobody in my house had ever mentioned it to me.

Turns out my wife bought it, tried it, found it too slow, and gave up. I've convinced her to give it another go.

I enjoyed Locke Lamora and his lies quite a bit. Immediately I liked the writing, which combines wit with solid prose. Like my wife I hit a bit of a soft patch early on, though for me it was that I was finding the point of view very 'surface' sharing
Em (RunawayWithDreamthieves)
My legs are so toned from climbing the stairs back to a higher moral ground after reading this book but I would still throw the version of myself who hasn’t picked it up sooner down a set of stairs because this was the most fun I had in a while why did I deprive myself of it? No really. Is anything as pure as a heist book? Is anything as good and exciting and forthright as a heist book, I ask you?

So, what's this book about?

The Lies of Locke Lamora, not-so-delicately traces the path back to t
Nataliya
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy full of humor, adventures, and blood.
The Lies of Locke Lamora is a love child of Ocean's Eleven and The Godfather. With blood, deaths, betrayals, money, and drowning in horse urine. With a sh*tload of non-PG humor. All for the price of one. And it's SO. GOOD.

“Some day, Locke Lamora,” he said, “some day, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope that I’m still around to see it.”
Petrik
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
4.5/5 Stars

Double Fuckdamn…
1. For postponing reading this book for a really long time.
2. For underestimating Scott Lynch’s capability to create such a strong debut novel.

“There’s no freedom quite like the freedom of being constantly underestimated.”

Together with The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and Malice by John Gwynne, The Lies of Locke Lamora, the first book in The Gentleman Bastard Sequence series is one of the best DEBUT novels I ever read. Don’t get me wrong, the series I ment
Anne
2.5 stars...maybe a full 3?

I'm having such a hard time with how I feel about this book!
I was looking for another fantasy/heist book like The Palace Job, and The Lies of Locke Lamora has so many great reviews that I thought it would be an easy win for me.
Ehhh. Yes and no. But mostly no.

description

Let me be the first to admit that the problems I had with this one?
Well, they might be exactly why every other reader loved it.

description

It took me forever to get through this. It felt like years went by while I tried to ge
Pierce Brown
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's not often I read a book that makes me forget I'm a writer too. This one succeeded, madly. It stole hours of sleep. It wrapped me in cozy myth. It gave me the blessing of feeling like a kid again, snuggled up with a book, wondering how the hell 10pm became 4am.

Find. Buy. Consume.
James Tivendale
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, hiest, complex, grim
Lynch introduces us to a gang of intelligent, flamboyant and charismatic thieves called the Gentleman Bastards around whom this book (and I assume the entire series) revolves. Locke - the infamous Thorn of Camorr, Jean and Bug were my personal favourites within the group but the camaraderie presented surrounding the gang was amazing - almost making us as the reader feel part of the ensemble - as we were privy to the cons, the secrets and also the stories revolving the characters youths.

Lynch pre
Dana Ilie
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'll be blunt up front and share that The Lies of Locke Lamora is one of my favorite books this year.
I loved it. Ever freaking word of every line.
While the main plot of the book features heist, treachery and more mutinies than you could shake a stick at – the heart of the novel lies in the epic bromance that is the Gentlemen Bastards. I am a huge fan of the ‘family that you choose yourself’ trope, so Locke and his gang of misfits tickled at my heartstrings. Make no mistake, they’re neither gent
Dorreh
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hello my dears, is it a mentally decapitating book you wish to read? (Pun intended)
Come, come right this way.............

This book is exactly what you're looking for, IF you're looking for a fantasy riddled, ruthless, enigmatic piece of art. This book was that, and so much more.

This book is around 700 pages with apt descriptions and precise detailing. It revolves around an orphan thief (because that's the best kind), whose world is changed when a plague riddled village is left with its only una
☽Luna☾
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Holy shit what did I just read Stars.★★★★★

❝I only steal because it’s heaps of fucking fun!❞

description

"You can’t be serious. This crap is as welcome as a pile of severed dog cocks.”

Firstly this book was incredible, seriously i can't even think of words to describe how good it was. This was my first time reading anything by Scott Lynch and I'm really impressed, he is a fantastic author and extremely talented. I'm so glad I picked up this book. I enjoyed it from page one, although I must admit it too
Bookdragon Sean
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 4-star-reads
Some books evoke a distinctive feeling, or atmosphere, that can only be associated with that said book. This is no less true for The Lies of Lock Lamora by Scott Lynch. From the very early on I knew what kind of stuff this would be about, and how gritty it was going to become. Indeed, this book turns into a violent mess.

That’s because the ancient city of Camorr is infested with thieves, pickpockets, schemers and violent gang leaders. But, the worse of the bunch is the priests. Father Chains is
C.G. Drews
THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH STARS IN THE SKY TO ACCURATELY SUM UP MY LOVE FOR THIS BOOK. I'm actually DYING WITH ADORATION RIGHT NOW. Can I say this is the best book ever???? Like, seriously, if I could only pick like 5 top books, it would be in that 5. (And omg peoples I read hundreds of books per year and am a rabid fan of many.) This was just frikkin brilliant in every. single. possible. way. I HAVE EMOTIONS. And I laughed so much because it's absolutely hilarious and clever and witty and insanely c ...more
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
BR with the BBB gang starting January 11, 2016.

DNF at 31%

Warning: I pretty much have nothing to say about this book. Does it mean my review will be short? Now now, people, don't be so naïve.

Okay, let's do some quick maths here. I read the first 31% of this book. This book is 752 pages long (it feels like it's 2,500 pages long, but don't tell anyone I said that). Which means I read about 230 pages of this Delightful Piece of Fast-Paced Awesomeness (DPFPA™). Which means I should have someth
Adina
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: big, fantasy-sf, favorites
10.07.18: Kindle offer for 1.99$.

I loved this book although it is not perfect and there were some things about it that annoyed me a tiny bit. But well.. love is not a logical thing so...

As other reviewers said it is combination of Ocean 11 (with a younger and more cheekier main character) and the Godfather. I would also add the bloodiness of Game of Thrones ((view spoiler)) and some Jaws.

The main character Locke Lamora
Kelly
From the first threat to use someone's balls as fish bait to the last attempt to drown someone in horse piss, I absolutely adored this book. It is absolutely everything it should be, and then some. Emphasis on the and then some because it completely defied my expectations on many levels, both genre-wise and quality wise.

Set in a freaky, mystical alternate Renaissance Venice, the story takes place amongst the underworld thieves and gangs of the city. Our protagonist (I definitely won't call him a
Rick Riordan
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great fantasy, this novel follows a talented rogue and conman, Locke Lamora, through his adventures in Camorr, a city loosely patterned after Venice, but set in a world where humans have built their society over the ruins of a much older race called the Eldren. Locke rises from an orphaned beggar to become one of the most wanted thieves in the city, and along the way makes some enemies in very high places – the Duke’s head of secret police, ‘the Spider,’ the capa of the city’s underworld ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I thought it was freaking awesome and there was some sadness damn it!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Locke: “I only steal because my dear
old family needs the money to live!"

"LIAR!"

Calo: "I only steal because this wicked world
won't let me work an honest trade!"

"LIAR!"

Galdo: "I only steal because i have to
support my poor lazy brother."

Jean: "I only steal because I've temporarily
fallen in with bad company."

Bug: "I only steal because
it's heaps of fucking fun!"

"BASTARD!”
Orient
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love action, magic and adventure and want to test their patience
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
The Lies of Locke Lamora provoked double-sided feeling in me. The beginning was something long and kinda boring and only the weakening power of conscience and the support of my GR friends made it possible for me to read this book. I just can't and won't write about the difficulties and boredom, I encountered reading the first 200 pages. But there is no possibility to skip the first pages without reading; the story will miss the important, strategic and historical information. So I'll start my re ...more
Mpauli
Hello, distinguished review reader. What a nice coincidence stumbling into you here on this expression of thought.
Odd chance, you say? Well, I have to be honest with you. I actually planned this for quite a while. I'm playing the long con game with this review.
I set up a profile on this site, joined some groups and build a network of friends. And all leads up to today's review.
So, I kind of tricked you to lay eyes on these lines of lies.

All that I learned from my days with the Gentleman Bastards
Gavin
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fantastic book. I loved reading this every bit as much this time as I did the first time. It's fair to say it retains it's place as one of my all time favorite books.

This is the story of Locke Lamorra, master thief extraordinaire, and his band of thieves, The Gentlemen Bastards. The Gentlemen Bastards are content with their lot in life and happy to fly under the radar in the city of Camorr. Unfortunately they soon find themselves embroiled in the heart of a power struggle for control of Camorr'
Natalie Monroe
"Locke Lamora's rule of thumb was this: a good confidence game took three months to plan, three weeks to rehearse, and three seconds to win or lose the victim's trust forever."

Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved Six of Crows. She cried bitter tears when the duology wrapped up in September, then went on the prowl for something, anything to satisfy the void in her heart.

The girl stumbled across Peaky Blinders and for a while, she was happy.

But it too began to lose its luster.

Scrolling t
Charlotte May
“We don’t believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.”

This was great! I don’t really know what I was expecting when I went into The Lies of Locke Lamora But I got an in depth, intricate fantasy world full of morally grey characters and so much backstabbing and double crossing it leaves your head spinning!

Locke Lamora is a member of the Gentlemen’s Bastards, a team of thieves who work up detailed plans in order to swindle the rich nobles out of the
Tessy Nightblood Ijachi
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
The lies of Locke Lamora is a book that the title precisely matches the contents of the book precisely. Because Locke is an amazing and exceptional liar. But this isn't the story of the boy who lied too much, rather the story of the boy who stole too much.

”If he had a bloody gash across his throat and a physiker was trying to sew it up, Lamora would steal the needle and thread and die laughing. He…steals too much”

That being said, this is a heist book and a book about criminals/thieves. Locke i
Julio Genao
what to say that hasn't been said already?

nothing! so i'll say it all over again.

fun dialogue. great setting—but the author's way more in love with it than i ever got to be, so his endless digressions were frustrating. some of them had a satisfying impact on the story, but some were just random, and frequently set in the past, in a series of irritating interludes right when something exciting was about to happen.

some characters wander off, never to be seen again; some are brutally murdered; one
Zain Otoom
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Spoiler-Free Review!
It was strange how readily authority could be conjured from nothing but a bit of strutting jackassery.
Magnificent. Absolutely amazing. I can't express how good this book was.
I usually like to take some time after reading a book before I write my review; just to collect my thoughts. Though I feel like my thoughts have been mangled up even more because as time went by my love for this book increased, and thus I may not be able to express how I truly feel.
Sigh
This book op
mark monday
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantastical
this was a wonderful, wonderful experience. it is hard to give a specific rationale for why i loved this book - there are so many reasons! it has adventure, flair, great characters, a robust narrative, a satisfying conclusion, is exceedingly clever and well-written, and just heaps of fun. it is a good-hearted book. terrible things do happen, but the book has at its core a love of humanity, of life, of loyalty, of kindness, of the ways that family can be created, of the ways that children can sur ...more
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • Among Thieves (Tales of the Kin, #1)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Three Parts Dead (Craft Sequence, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1-3)
  • Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)
  • Inda (Inda, #1)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this s

Gentleman Bastard (7 books)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
  • The Ministry of Necessity (Gentleman Bastard, #5)
  • The Mage and the Master Spy (Gentleman Bastard, #6)
  • Inherit the Night (Gentleman Bastard, #7)
“Someday, Locke Lamora,” he said, “someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it.”
“Oh please,” said Locke. “It’ll never happen.”
977 likes
“There’s no freedom quite like the freedom of being constantly underestimated.” 777 likes