Start by marking “Dead Solid Perfect” as Want to Read:
Dead Solid Perfect

Dead Solid Perfect

The legendary golf novel, rereleased in a special edition with a new foreword by the author.

Don Imus said it best: "Dan Jenkins is a comic genius." And nowhere is that genius more evident than in Dead Solid Perfect, his uproarious 1974 novel about life on the PGA Tour. To some, Kenny Lee Puckett, the star of Jenkins's ribald saga, is a more important figure in the history
Published April 18th 2000 by Anchor (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Solid Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Solid Perfect

Angus McKeogh
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good. More thoughtful than I probably anticipated. A lot about golf obviously, but also race relations, life and death, marriages, and high jinks. Maybe not laugh out loud funny (and some of the games played with words and phrasing is potentially outdated due to the publication date) but very much a fun read. And you don't have to be a huge golf fan to enjoy it either. Not bad. Not bad at all.
Joe
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To love this book you need to love four things: 1) golf; 2) casual racism; 3) sexism; 4) homophobia. As I like only one of the four (golf) I give this one star.

This book was written in 1974 and has not aged well. In some books, the language was of the time period and you accept it because it adds to the story. Unfortunately here, it is gratuitous and offensive.

It's unfortunate, because Dead Solid Perfect is otherwise an interesting fictionalized history of the PGA tour in the 1970's. Parts of it
Bryan
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Required F$@&ing Reading

Dead Solid Perfect was a masterwork when my dad tossed it on my bed, which happened to sit 45 yards from the 17th tee on the north course of Turf Valley Country Club in roughly 1976.

Dan Jenkins is an original wit, a sports writing sage, and a literary hero.

I downloaded the book to reread a scene so that I can recall it in front of a large crowd of people next month in Seattle. And I caught myself laughing hard while trying not to cry as I reread the damn thing all th
Tristan Sanders
Jul 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes or can appreciate golf
This is quite possibly the funniest novel I have ever read. Dan Jenkins, a former columnist for Playboy and the New York Times has a style all his own. With more curse words per page than any other novel while talking about a guy on the professional golf tour, Jenkins makes an already laughable lifestyle absolutely ridiculous. Another easy, very quick read yet I have read this book four times. So funny.
Dave
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
While I was reading this book, there were a couple of times that I just had to put it down and roar with laughter. It is absolutely hilarious. For every golfer who ever played Goat Hills.
Edward Redd
Apr 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
After Dan Jenkins passed away I decided to read this book as a tribute to him. Plus, it was repeatedly mentioned as a golf masterpiece. I love golf. I did not like this book. Too much casual racism for me. I stopped and started 3 times but I could not finish. Really painful to read.
Alan Maxwell
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-read
The funniest novel I ever read. (All of Jenkin's books are good). It is remarkable how Jenkins can keep you smiling on almost every page of the book. Maybe beiing a golfer helps you to relate to the situations, but I think anyone would enjoy this.
Joel Erickson
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, classics, comedy
As enjoyable a beach read as you'll find. Jenkins' characters are profane and a little off-kilter, but the wild setup of Kenny Puckett's life rings true, and it's about as funny a book as you're ever going to find.
Chris Hall
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Great reading for golf fans. Some great insights on what it is like to battle against yourself and other golfers on the course, along with some decent background plot.

This isn't a masterpiece, but it is fun.
Andrew
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Half-way through I was ready to give it 2 stars. There were a lot of parts that were terrible- but there was some funny stuff too. The golf story was good. That’s about it.
Frank
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, sports-related
Read this one back in 1974.
Patrick
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a really fun, quick read. Jenkins' writing is mostly hilarious, definitely not politically correct, but also surprisingly good. While the book is about a golf pro playing in the US Open, Jenkins brings all sorts of other topics into the story, and none are spared his sarcasm. Golf, love, life, Texas, and gambling all receive hilarious treatments. And while a lot of the book is poking fun at things and people, the overall feeling of the book is not cynical. The main character is well wri ...more
Richard Lister
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you don't smile often and occasionally catch yourself laughing out loud when reading Dan Jenkins as he brings life to his characters like Kenny Lee Puckett, then you're in the wrong section of the library.

No one has--nor likely will anyone ever--bring so much fun to satire of our games and those (especially Texans) who play them.

"Dead Solid Perfect," like his other novels, is just more fun than sometimes I think ought to be allowed.
Lauri
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Clearly a book written in a different era, and certainly not for everyone. I listened to this while packing up my house, which it was perfect for.

Some of the language is 100% offensive (as I said, writing of a different era), and that is coming from me. The story is fun and silly, and the characters are all unlikable in their own way.

Entertaining, if you can get around the use of several offensive words used repeatedly.
Jenny
May 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
I cannot remember who recommended this book to me. It's an interesting tale once you get past the language. Being a fan of The Colonial and having heard the stories of the antics from the 1970s, made it interesting. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would have liked it.
Linda M
Hmm. . . well I didn't even read the first page b/c I picked it up for a little blurb and found this totally not my kind of book. Too foul and attempting to be funny about a game I care nothing about. I must be careful about getting book recommendations from talk show hosts in the future.
Kyle Boedeker
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I would have enjoyed this more if it focused more on the golf. I didn't really like any of the characters and the juvenile humor got old pretty quickly. It was entertaining enough to read in the airport, but I was happy when it was over.
Sean
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
F-ing brillant. I cried for laughing so hard. Not lit, but a fun fun read for sports fans
Amy
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
So, so funny. Crazy characters, outrageous dialogue and gripping plot about, yes really, golf.
Hayden
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good book about golf that has very little to actually do with golf.
Danny
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I waned ''tis to be better. It's good, but not up to DJ standards.
Andy
Dec 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Didn't compare to Missing Links (by Rick Reilly) in my opinion...not a waste of time, but nothing overly memorable either. I was slightly disappointed.
Sharon Beers
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dan Jenkins and golf - a hilarious match made in heaven. Politically incorrect.
Eric Olson
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great book and if you get a chance to see the made for HBO movie, do it, it's a fantastic movie.
Sandi
A quick, comic, fairly raunchy novel about a golfer from Fort Worth who finds himself leading the U.S. Open while in the midst of various personal crises.
Catfan38
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious book! You will find yourself laughing out loud numerous times. It has some great golf lingo as well but you do not even have to like golf to love this book. Great read!
J.C.
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I know I read this before, just cant remember it.
Darren
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Best golf book I've read ever.... And have read many. Never have read a fictional golf story so funny with great characters . Dan Jenkins has written a timeless golf infused masterpiece.
Robert Mead
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A great read. I love golf and so does Dan Jenkins.
Craig
Apr 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some minor humor and golf references, but mostly vulgar sexual content and violence of rednecks against minorities. dnf

• North Dallas Forty
  • Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black
  • Who's Your Caddy?: Looping for the Great, Near Great, and Reprobates of Golf
  • Men in Green
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee
  • A Nasty Bit of Rough
  • Arnie and Jack: Palmer, Nicklaus, and Golf's Greatest Rivalry
  • Hogan
  • Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible: Master the Finesse Swing and Lower Your Score
  • The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever
  • Johnny U: The Life and Times of John Unitas
  • Golf Dreams: Writings on Golf
  • Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf
  • The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story
  • Are You Kidding Me?: The Story of Rocco Mediate's Extraordinary Battle with Tiger Woods at the US Open
  • The Downhill Lie: A Hacker's Return to a Ruinous Sport
  • Juicing the Game: Drugs, Power, and the Fight for the Soul of Major League Baseball
Dan Jenkins was an American author and sportswriter, most notably for Sports Illustrated.

Jenkins was born and raised in Fort Worth, Texas, where he attended R.L. Paschal High School and Texas Christian University (TCU), where he played on the varsity golf team. Jenkins worked for many publications including the Fort Worth Press, Dallas Times Herald, Playboy, and Sports Illustrated. In 1985 he reti
“The ninth is an easy driving hole. Plenty of room. The kind that makes you want to come out of your shoes at the ball. I was feeling a little cocky so as I addressed the ball I looked over at some of the people and said: “I been hittin’ shots for you people all day. I think I’ll hit this one for myself.” I didn’t catch it anywhere but on the screws. The ball looked like it might stay in the air long enough to send back weather reports. The crowd around the tee exploded with a cheer, and above it I heard Grover Scomer. He yelled: “Waxahachie, Nacogdoches!” 1 likes