Start by marking “Introduction to Solid State Physics” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Solid State Physics

Introduction to Solid State Physics

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  408 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Since the publication of the first edition over 50 years ago, Introduction to Solid State Physics has been the standard solid state physics text for physics students. The author's goal from the beginning has been to write a book that is accessible to undergraduates and consistently teachable. The emphasis in the book has always been on physics rather than formal mathematic ...more
Published November 11th 2004 by Wiley (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Solid State Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to Solid State Physics

Drew Pearce
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sceince-textbook
I feel this book suffered from over editing. I bought myself the very latest version of this and found a lot of the explanations confused and unenlightening. After having spoke to my supervisor he advised looking at some of the previous versions which he claimed were better. I was skeptical but I got a copy of an earlier edition from the library and found it to be much clearer. So, this is not the best book on the subject but can be good if you get the right version.
Meenakshi
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can't find a better book to quench your solid state physics thirst with. Every concept has been explained with full detail. Brilliant book for a beginner as well.
Physicist-CY
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A book with many highs and many (very) lows. At some points, it is very pedagogical explaining the physics in a very intuitive way. At other points, it is just awful. Sometime it uses awful notation and it seems as if the author actually tries to confuse the reader.
apart from these highs and lows, this textbook is mediocre in the sense that it offers nothing special in terms of pedagogy and thematology(like containing special topics not found elsewhere).

In any way, I think that Ashcroft's textbo
Jeffrey Sung
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Technically a classic in solid-state physics, this text unfortunately suffers from lacking a lot of detail. Not to be used without supplemental lecture materials.
Colin Lamont
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
There's a lot of material here, but very little that is presented well. The proofs are skeletons of arguments, presumably to let the reader learn by struggling to fill in the gaps. The fundamental concepts, like the fact that the reciprocal lattice is the Fourier transform of the direct lattice, are noted in passing or omitted, while fairly advanced ideas like the magnetic field penetration of a superconductor are presented without anything resembling a solid foundation.

It is easier than Ashcro
James
Feb 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Physics Majors
This book was somewhat disappointing. While rather complete it has some major flaws. Among these flaws are its errors in equations and the text itself. Its unconventional mathematical notation is a little off putting in places as well although this is easily overcome.

I have a copy of the third edition and find that to be far superior. It is much more verbose in its explanations. In trying to make the latest edition more terse the author obfuscated it. Additionally the third edition speaks much m
Stuart Woolf
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, this text can be a little sparse, but I was captivated by the subject matter and referenced it in subsequent school work / out of personal interest. Some people prefer Ashcroft & Mermin, which apparently includes more in the way of detailed explanations / derivations.
Ida
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A good overall sense of what solid state physics is about, yet both the structure and the way arguments are linked are not always the best. I'm reading through the 8th edition, though, so this might have improved in later editions of the book.
DJ
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: physics
Kittel is to solid state texts as artificial insemination is to sex. It may fit the definition in the strictest sense, but it absolutely drains the fun out of the whole game.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Ashcroft & Mermin.
Niclas Fuglesang geuken
Den här boken är ett upplagsverk för fasta tillstånders fysik, men som kurslitteratur är den mest ivägen. Den klarar inte av att skapa en intuition för fysiken eller brygga hoppet mellan att bara förstå det man läser och att kunna applicera det på andra situationer.
Orapan
Aug 07, 2011 added it
Michael
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Not as bad as people say, but not very good either. Could really use an update
Lanam AL Ameri
Jun 13, 2016 marked it as to-read
solid state physics
Erica Nabena
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: physic
help in calculation for solid state problem
Nevena
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Can't say I was impressed and it didn't help much in my overall studying.
Jack
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Yay! Solid state physics! I picked it up as an undergrad, and I think it's been my most referenced textbook all the way through grad school.
Ross Economy
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
A little too higher level, not enough "intro" in an introductory text
AJ
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
Some of the derivations left a lot to be desired, and the book's text was hard to follow.
Amookaveh
Jan 14, 2015
Hendrik
Oct 25, 2012
Emil Ryberg
rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2016
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Solid State Physics
  • Introductory Nuclear Physics
  • Classical Electrodynamics
  • Mathematical Methods for Physicists
  • Heat and Thermodynamics.
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell
  • Introduction to Elementary Particles
  • Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics
  • Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics
  • Introduction to Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion: Volume 1: Plasma Physics

Nonfiction Deals

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed