Start by marking “Ultimate Sales Machine” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Sales Machine

Ultimate Sales Machine

Chet Holmes has been called “one of the top 20 change experts in the country.” He helps his clients blow away both the competition and their own expectations. And his advice starts with one simple concept: focus! Instead of trying to master four thousand strategies to improve your business, zero in on the few essential skill areas that make the big difference.

Too many ma
Published June 21st 2007 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Sales Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Sales Machine

Start your review of Ultimate Sales Machine
Scott
This book provides a decent overview of sales, with a lot of examples from a successful salesperson. As a forewarning, a large part of my brain is probably devoted to ignoring advertisements and spam, so I have a lot of negative opinions about many sales techniques.

Review of Sales Techniques
Numerous methods and types of sales are discussed, with strategies explained. I have no doubt most businesses would find one or more strategies they haven't thought of. Personally, I reject about half of the
Nicholas
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maura
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some useful ideas for those of us who aren't in sales. My biggest takeaways:
*dedicate 1 hour per week on areas that need improvement that otherwise wouldn't get attention
*When pitching, always put things in terms of the customer's benefit/point if view, not you or your product's advantages
*Don't waffle when trying to make a sale. A great example was a real estate agent who told a couple about to buy their first house something like "Now buying a house is a big decision and shouldn't be rushed in
Roberto Jorda-Cid
Best business book ive read in a long time. This is the type of book that gets you thinking, pumped, and read to take action all at once. No one has the ability Chet Holmes has to make this information be relevant and also help guide you to take action.

This is a book I will re-read as many times until it becomes second nature. The tips, the exercise, and the stories that are intertwined throughout the reading make this a great experience and tool for anyone creating a business, works in sales,
Dustan Woodhouse
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Re-read this book every 30 days for a year, maybe two years, and if you are not at the top of the game then it is time to find a new game.
Jason
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
I promise that this will be the first and last sales book I add to my list. The books author, Chet Holmes, claims to be "Americas greatest sales and marketing executive". That may or may not be the case. Regardless, he does not lack hubris. Just ask him who's the best. Anyway, Chet has developed "12 skill areas" that will help anyone sell stuff better than they ever have before! For our reading convienience he's broken down the 12 skill areas into 12 chapters! You will only need to read these 12 ...more
Chad Warner
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: salespeople, marketers, entrepreneurs, business owners
Shelves: sales, business, marketing
A world-class marketer and salesman reveals the strategies and tactics behind his success. The material is explained well, with plenty of examples. I found some of the approaches a bit slimy. He says don't lie, but don't tell the whole truth. He advocates leading prospects on, which I find disingenuous. For example, he says you should tell prospects, "We're in touch with your competitors" to imply that you're working with them, when you're really just marketing to them. I don't deny his success ...more
Bart Van Loon
Okay, it's another American book on business and this one is perhaps even more `American' than all the others. Everything is repeated, data is served in very small chunks, the author is shamelessly self-promoting on every single page, etc...

BUT

I do believe the content of this book and the learning you get from it are extremely useful to increase your company sales productivity. I also liked the link the author makes between business and life. Success in either one basically requires a very simil
Cory Vance
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent step by step guide to help grow any business. A great guide to be reviewed and studied again and again.
Larissa
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Very interesting approach to sales processes that shifts the focus to organizational basics before going into specific advice regarding sales pitches and strategies. Chet Holmes' emphasis on discipline and determination is very welcome, especially as founders typically enjoy reading self and business improvement articles and books, but tend to somehow believe their company is impervious to the common sense around standardization, time management, and true focus on organizational alignment toward ...more
Lisa Woodruff
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sales
The Ultimate Sales Machine: Turbocharge Your Business with Relentless Focus on 12 Key Strategies by Chet Holmes is a book I first read back in 2015 when I was first starting to grow the Organize 365 team as a corporate team. At this time, the business began to sell physical products rather than professional organizing services. This book gives education and case studies on many important topics in building a functional business including time management, training, effective meetings, strategy, h ...more
Ties
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book on sales, fits perfectly with Emyth and, together with that book, can be the basis for any business to thrive.

For me as a marketer, the first 60% was great. After that, the author goes into the nitty gritty of selling and techniques. And not all of it, fax over email for example, don't hold up to well. I ended up fast-reading through it.

But don't let that stop you from reading this book. It's principles can be applied to all the current tools without any problems, you just won't have
Steve Weber
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chet Holmes' The Ultimate Sales Machine was given to me as required reading for a new job. I dived into and quickly learned that it is different than most business books. This one lays out clearly what you will need to do in order to gain an edge in the working world. Even though the word "sales" is in the title, this could be your bible for any business role. I recommend this read for anyone who leads a team, is in marketing or is an entrepreneur.

This is the type of book that you will need to
Andy De Lima
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chet is a sale genius! I recommend the book to anyone who is looking to grow his/her enterprise. Now on the flip side if you are in tech or other digital industries you might want to look up to additional support as the book has a strong emphasis on personal selling. Still a must read for BDMs, sales directors and others working in commercial b2b enterprises.
David Skinner
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
There are many great tips in this book, with one of his main themes being that of dogged perseverance as the main key to sales success. However, he does not posit many entirely new suggestions. It was not a waste of time, however I would not include it in a sales curriculum.
Shlomo Freund
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd give it 5 stars if it was more relevant for b2c businesses too. Still good read. Need to read it again when starting to implement.
Jessi Payne
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource if you’re new to sales.
Loza Boza
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Don Davies
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great sales textbook. It give you a step by step protocol for managing your business.
Dillon
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Of all the sales and business books I've read, I have to say that this by far the best one. The advice is highly valuable, practical, and universally applicable in most any industry and size of organization.
Sales is the life-blood of every single organization on the planet. Whether you’re selling a product/service or selling an idea, sales and marketing are the keys to success.
If you are looking to expand your business with advice from the sales guru who had Charlie Munger questioning his legali
Trevor
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anecdotes of Holmes' time with Charlie Munger are peppered throughout and are generally entertaining and informative, unfortunately they also become repetitive and somewhat trite. Holmes was obviously a master salesman and an excellent trainer however much of the books' advice is either overly broad (being doggedly persistent helps close deals) or too specific (providing exact phraseology).

Overall I found it an interesting read but my general sense as a non-salesman is that any number of more r
Robert
Feb 12, 2013 added it
Great for a sales person if the only thing you care about is numbers. Call 1,000 leads and get 1 sale. Sounds logical then to pump out as many calls as possible or, in his case, have someone else do it. His dedication to system based approach would be more digestible if the purpose instead was to increase or maintain quality and let the numbers come in higher as a by-product.
Camilo Rodriguez
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
9/10 for a book on „Sales“
Angela Lam
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, Marketers, Salespeople, Business executives & leaders
This book supposedly offers 12 strategies that you can use to master 3 areas in any business--management, sales and marketing--and apply them such that it will create your ultimate sales machine that withstands the test of time.

Having worked in large organizations and run my own business, I can see the value in many of these tips. The writing is clear, the examples are illustrative... all the makings of a decent book.

BUT, the main issue is this--the book does NOT present 12 clear strategies. In
Melissa
Yesenia Gonzalez
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Touch it once"

One of the many great things I learned from this book is the "touch it once" system. Many of us have that one thing you avoid doing. On your desk you may have a project your boss told you to do but you have been avoiding it so you move it from the top of the pile to the bottom of the pile. By the time you know it you have touched it a dozen times without actually doing the task. We may have laundry at home you walk by it and say I will do it this week. Or dishes that pile up. For
Michael McCain
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
As an engineer, sales and marketing books always make me want to bathe, twice.

According to Chet, the best way to drive sales in an organization is to beat the staff about the neck and shoulders daily, with a mop. Daily pop quizzes! Role-playing! Forced affirmations!

Of course, this may all work. It sounds deeply unpleasant to me.

His trick for getting to talk to his dream clients, i.e. CEOs of large companies, is to bully and manipulate the personal assistants tasked with gatekeeping such sales ca
Willie
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kyle Robins
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the best book on sales I have every read.

Rather than talking about motivation or secret techniques for closing the sale - Chet Holmes discusses the exact strategies he used to close over 50 of his Fortune 500 clients.

It could be condensed and is not the easiest read, but the information inside is invaluable and I believe is the only book an organization needs if they want to massively improve their sales.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • The Copywriter's Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Copy That Sells
  • Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles
  • The Unwritten Laws of Business
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • Ethics for the Real World: Creating a Personal Code to Guide Decisions in Work and Life
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal
  • Work the System: The Simple Mechanics of Making More and Working Less
  • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals

Articles featuring this book

Summer Reading is sponsored by Lifetime’s Book to Screen Movies. We love bookish celebrities, entrepreneurs, and others who consistently b...
“Use market data, not product data. Set the buying criteria in your favor. Find the “smoking gun,” the one thing that undeniably positions you over every one else. Make sure you hit their pain points. Include your own pitch for your product or ser vice only after you have covered the education thoroughly.” 4 likes
“The one who gives the market the most and best information will always slaughter the one who just wants to sell products or services.” 3 likes