Start by marking “Banana Split (A Culinary Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Banana Split (A Culinary Mystery, #7)

Banana Split

(A Culinary Mystery #7)

Sadie Hoffmiller has survived eighteen months of nonstop adventures filled with murder, deceit, and danger. She could really use some rest—and maybe even some time to heal—relaxing in the tropical paradise of Kaua'i. However, palm trees and sunshine are not as effective a medication as Sadie had hoped. And when she finds herself entangled—literally—with a dead body, she is ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Shadow Mountain (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Banana Split, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banana Split

T.J.
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Most importantly, look at that cover! Seriously, have you gone to any site that shows all of Josi’s Sadie Hoffmiller books? These covers are awesome!

While Banana Split wasn’t my favorite book ever written, it was actually good enough to make me want to read the rest of the series. If you are unaware, Banana Split is the 7th book in a series and more interestingly, it is the 1st I’ve actually read.

Personally, it was a little long for me. I could have lived without a little less subplot things h
Claire Maloy
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Banana Split,” by Josi S. Kilpack, was a real stomach cincher. Sadie Hoffmiller is off in Hawaii trying to get away from her old “detective” life. She needs a fresh start, and as she is snorkeling she finds something interesting in the ocean. She finds the body of a girl named Noelani, who’s child happens to meet Sadie. She gets to know Charlie more and more as she tries to solve this case. Was it suicide, or murder? This series is one of my favorites because I love mystery. I always try to sol ...more
Jennie
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
It hasn't been long since I reviewed Kilpack's last book and she has another coming out in the near future so I decided to review this one here.

Banana Split is Josi Kilpack's latest culinary mystery starring Sadie Hoffmiller. In this book Sadie is almost unrecognizable as the same Sadie as in earlier volumes of this series. Instead of the annoying snoop of the first few books or the more mature, but impulsive would-be-detective of Pumpkin Roll, she's suffering severe anxiety attacks due to too m
Julie
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think you all know that I am a big fan of Josi's culinary mysteries. Sadie Hoffmiller gets herself into more scrapes than any respectable busybody should (she's just helping!) but this time things are different. After her experience in the last book, this book opens with Sadie experiencing PTSD and unsure who she is anymore.

Banana Split was so different than any of the other books. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the new Sadie. Where she was previously strong, she was now weak. The relations
Michelle
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. The first part of the book vividly described Sadie experiencing PTSD. Kilpack did an excellent job with that description, so much so that I almost didn't finish the book. The last thing I wanted was to read a book about a woman dealing with anxiety. The book changed after a few chapters, though, and the mystery drew me in. She still had to deal with the anxiety, but it wasn't as overt as the first few chapters. I enjoyed the mystery and found the ...more
Andrea
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like Banana Split so much more than I did. To be fair, I was exhausted while reading this book. I was on a family vacation and I tried reading it on down times during our very busy non-driving days (even though we drove all of those days, but it was sight seeing and not just day-long driving). I think it deserves another read when I'm not so tired.

Up to this point in the series Sadie Hoffmiller could be described in many ways: nosy, brave, daring, quirky, excellent cook. The d
Erin
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story of Sadie Hoffmiller keeps on rolling. First off, I loved this book because it was all about Kauai, one of my favorite places! I could imagine every scene since I recognized some of the beaches and places mentioned.
Not only was it placed in paradise, it tugged at my heart strings with the victim being a mother. A mother who is trying her best for her child. I'm glad Sadie is around for justice.
I also liked that we are learning more about the toll of all the adventures Sadie has been on
Kristen
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is quite different from the other ones in the series. Sadie is much more hesitant, a little more scared and not as daring as she has been in the past books. Although there were times when I was yelling in my head "what the heck are you doing? That's not normal!". We deal with a broken Sadie who is scared to even go outside of her condo. I really enjoyed all the references to Hawaii, the lingo, the food, the area, it was awesome! I can't wait to try a few of the recipes. Although this w ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sadie has had a few too many close calls. She is struggling with anxiety. In this book she is in Hawaii, taking a break and trying to recover. The sad part is that she has a hard time leaving her condo. She hides from the world.

She finally makes it out of the condo. She's going snorkeling with some of the local women. She is overcome with anxiety and swims to shore, only to find a body.

Yup, she's pulled into another mystery. The case seems clear cut. A woman just out of rehab OD's and dies. Then
Lacey
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
AUGUST 2017-
I have to say, after re reading this story it was probably one of my least favorites. I'm not sure why. I think it's partially because of some Sadie's antics, I just can't understand WHY she does some of the things she does, and how she manages to get so involved. I still love her as a character, and I liked seeing a more vulnerable side of her.

FEBRUARY 2012-
Once again, Josi Kilpack has managed to create a fun story that leaves you hanging.
Angela
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I have to be honest...i had a hard time with this book. I love the series and have never felt anything but anticipation for the next one to come out. I was so looking forward to reading this one too until I actually started it. I had to force myself to keep going, hoping it would get better (which it eventually did). I will continue to read the series because I enjoy the characters, but if the next one is as hard for me as this one, I might not read any further.
Connie
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Another fun mystery. These books are an easy read and a nice break from some of the heavier stuff. I do take some issues with how fast Sadie went from full on anxiety attacks just for leaving her apartment to breaking and entering just a few days later, but still a good mystery to a wonderful cast of characters. I want to go and live in Hawaii the next time I have anxiety!
Diane
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I am torn - I love reading this series (and love love love the recipes), but does the Sadie Hoffmiller character get on anyone else's nerves to the point of distraction??? Who acts like that? Certainly not any fifty-something woman I've ever known. That being said, I simply can't wait for the next installment coming in the fall, I believe. I must be as unbalanced as Sadie!!!
Nellie
Apr 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I didnt love this one. In fact, i stopped and read two or three books during the time i read this one. Sadie goes to Hawaii. She finds a body in the ocean, and is compelled ta investigate the cause of death. I was never connected to the characters, and didnt feel like all the stories were completed. The recipes were wonderful i did try those and loved them.
Jessica
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-author, 2012
I just love how Sadie ends up in helping solve a murder
Molly
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you go on a trip to Hawaii, you have to bring this book along!!
Linda
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have read the entire series and I think this was one of the best.
Vicki
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction, mystery
This is the best yet! I love this book. Sadie Hoffmiller lives on!! Can't wait for Tres Leche Cupcakes!!!!
Cindy Hansen
Jan 18, 2014 added it
Shelves: own
Could hardly pay attention once she gives you the recipes for the banana split toppings. Just kept looking at the picture thinking I needed to go make them. Good story.
Helynne
It had to happen sooner or later. At the beginning of this story, Sadie Hoffmiller has been so traumatized over the events of her harrowing adventure in Boston (Pumpkin Roll) that she has been dealing with her fears by ordering stuff she doesn’t need from every late-night TV infomercial she sees. I would have though it would be more like Sadie to turn to food when she is troubled. Instead, she has lost her passion for cooking and become thinner. At one point early in the story, she serves browni ...more
Nessa
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Like many reviews here, I was not a huge fan of the departure of our resident protag's usual zest for life, cooking and meddling.. When I first started reading Banana Split, Sadie's mindset was very claustrophobic and I'll be honest, I had a mind to shelf it and go on to another book in the series and maybe revisit this one at a later time. In fact, with so many references to Boston, I had to go through and see which installment she was referring to because I thought I missed a vital part of und ...more
Ed
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I started off reading Engish Truffle. I had a hard time staying with it. After a long time, I finally forced myself to finish it. It was okay and I vowed never to read any more of her books. Then my wife bought me blackberry... I read 18 chapters and gave it up. I just couldn't get into the book. Then my wife years later downloaded the whole series. I picked up Lemon Tart. It was very good. And so I picked out another one. Now I find them so good I keep racing through the series. This one starte ...more
Carla
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Banana Split has a different feel to it than the previous 6 Sadie Hoffmiller mysteries. Different, but it works. Sadie is dealing with anxiety disorder from everything she's been through in the previous 18 months (the time that transpires from book 1, Lemon Tart, to this book.). It is raw & vulnerable & real. Sadie is still Sadie though, even if she doesn't feel like herself.
Jo-Anne Schindler
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was another well written book! I enjoyed it very much. Again, I was surprised by the ending. Josi is definitely good at mixing you up at the "whodunit", I also appreciated her words of comfort to Charlie at the end of the book.
Heather
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good Culinary Mystery. I loved the setting of Hawaii. It was fun and fresh. The main character (Sadie) went through some really tough times in this book and I feel like it was handled authentically and sensitively. A great summer, escapist read.
Sara
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This is my first of the Culinary Mysteries by Kilpack. It was a decent read, although it never got me in the zone of really excited to get back to the book.
Angieluila Bradley
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pretty good book. I couldn't put it down. I made it to the end and it was worth it.
Barbara
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Bonnie
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy these culinary mysteries by Josi S. Kilpack. They are good mysteries and since she is good LDS I never have to worry about language or sex being in the book.
Pat
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating mystery and insight into overcoming trauma.

• Dearly Departed (Secret Sisters Mystery #2)
  • Murder By The Way (Kennedy Killingsworth, #3)
  • Line of Fire (Autumn Rain, #4)
  • Olivia (Newport Ladies Book Club, #1)
  • Code Word (Saint Squad, #6)
  • Rearview Mirror
  • Altered State
  • If I Should Die
  • Espionage
  • City of Angels (Rhea Jensen, #1)
  • Twitterpated
  • House of Secrets (Shandra Covington, #1)
  • Athena (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Ammon (Book of Mormon, #4)
I wrote my first book while on bed rest with my third child in 1998 and haven't stopped. My most recent books have been Historical Romance through the Proper Romance line with Shadow Mountain Publishing.

I currently live in Willard, Utah with my husband, and children.

A Culinary Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Lemon Tart (A Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • English Trifle (A Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • Devil's Food Cake (A Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • Key Lime Pie (A Culinary Mystery, #4)
  • Blackberry Crumble (A Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • Pumpkin Roll (A Culinary Mysteries, #6)
  • Tres Leches Cupcakes (A Culinary Mystery, #8)
  • Baked Alaska (A Culinary Mystery, #9)
  • Rocky Road (A Culinary Mystery, #10)
  • Fortune Cookie (A Culinary Mystery, #11)