Start by marking “Stray Bullets, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Stray Bullets, Vol. 1

Stray Bullets, Vol. 1

(Stray Bullets #1-4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  429 ratings  ·  39 reviews
They never saw it coming - they never had a chance

These are their stories. Follow the lost lives of people who are savagely torn apart by events beyond their control. The innocent world of an imaginative little girl is shattered when she witnesses a brutal double murder. An introverted young boy on the verge of manhood gets a lesson in just how far is too far when he fall

Published September 23rd 1998 by El Capitan

To ask other readers questions about Stray Bullets, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Karl Benedek No, the original Stray Bullets can be read in any order. The rebooted series (Killers, Sunshine & Roses) should be read chronologically though.…moreNo, the original Stray Bullets can be read in any order. The rebooted series (Killers, Sunshine & Roses) should be read chronologically though.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Stray Bullets, Vol. 1
ΞιsNιnΞ
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When Stray Bullets debuted in the mid-90's, I think it was an important moment in the history of independent comics, one that might not be appreciated fully for years to come. Comic book creators working outside the assembly-line method of DC and Marvel need a kind of patience and discipline even greater than that of a novelist. They toil alone at the drawing table for months (and sometimes years, in the case of Jason Lutes and Charles Burns) in order to produce a single issue, knowing all the ...more
Ill D
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Not to be confused with the other similarly titled series (100 Bullets) Lapham seeks out the same vein of well mined criminal ore to be smelted unto his own vision. Whether scalping or not, a compressed (but not insincerely abrogated) version of Pulp Fiction is minimalized even further to feature a mere duo of a seasoned hitman and new blood. Firmly uncaring as the fiercely venomous black and white that blanche each page, a tale that well rejects the structures of cutesey good-bad spectrometers ...more
Gavin
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
So this is a collection of interwoven crime/noir stories. They're interesting enough to keep your attention, also kind of depressing as many are about the pointlessness of violence, and what Stray Bullets can do...
It's about broken lives, how they break over time, and showing the cumulative effects of bad decisions, violence, abuse, anger and rage, and crime.
Not every story seems to be connected, but I think if you read more of them and pay a bit more attention, you will find more. Kinda like Pu
Melissa Davis
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been over a decade since I first read Stray Bullets. I've really missed this comic!
Elliott Colla
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Suburban darkness in black and white. What if Pettibone did sequential art? His name might be Lapham. The issues get better and better -- as the story begins to fold in on itself and tear around the edges.
47Time
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-fiction
The dialogue is the best thing about this comic. It feels so real and human. The next best thing are the stories which feature some extraordinary events that will push the characters to extreme measures involving violence and murder. They are loosely linked, but so much so that they might as well be one-shots. All in all, a solid read, if you don't mind the black and white artwork.

Joey and Frank are transporting a Harry's ex-girlfriend's dead body in the trunk. A flat tire forces them to stop an
Christopher Harmon
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This came out of nowhere. It was included in a subscription service I pay to read a bunch of free comics each month. It's old (90s I think) so I suppose that's why it was free. It is outstanding. Even if you are not into comics but appreciate a dark, disturbing, well-told story. Check this one out. You won't be disappointed. I thought these were real stories at first which made them more disturbing but I do not believe they are. Even so, brilliant writing and the black and white illustrations ar ...more
Johnathon
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid beginning to Lapham's now classic "Stray Bullets" series, that leaves you a bit hanging, definitely hooks you. The various stories are tense and nicely gritty, with crisply realistic art from the get go. He also manages to surprise you with where the story goes, such as the tense car ride an adolescent Amy Racecar has with a stranger. However, later issue that a strange, science fiction turn that throws the serious off from it's grittier crime noir. Nevertheless, a nice read to one of the ...more
Zach
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It loses some steam near the end (what on earth was that last one about? She saw God in her coma and then started robbing banks? Is that what happened?), but goodness, that's a measure more bleak than any crime comic you'd read from Brubaker or Aaron. If you're into that sort of thing, check Stray Bullets out.
Michael Dolce
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sets the table nicely for what's to come
Ezra
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Brutal tales of losers. I'm afraid to find out who the dead girl in the first issue is.
Theo Kokonas
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very engaging graphic novel. It's won lots of awards for good reason, the stories are not only well written but brilliantly inked. I'm working through the next volume as I write this.
Bernardo Rodrigues
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wow
Jordan
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
This honestly just really disturbed me, and not in a good way.
Craig
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Title redolent, nostalgia and blood. Tragic and splendid.
Matthew Tammaro
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Very Dark tales.
Ned
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-rental, ebook
This series has really grown on me. Going back to read the older stuff after working through the more recent arc.
Lisa
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Effective writing skills. Just love it
tomwrote
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first volume in a ground breaking and hugely innovative series. I've read a few random issues over the years and enjoyed them all. That's one of the strengths of the series, it cracks that single issue or collection trick.

Whatever way they are read, the art is consistently first class, the mood deliciously evoked and even if the story telling occasionally wobbles, it never falls over. And when it's good, it's very good.
Lloyd
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First, let me say that while the description here on Goodreads says that this book contains the first SEVEN issues of Stray Bullets, but the edition I'm reviewing only contains the first FOUR.

This book was great. I'd heard of Stray Bullets for years, always meaning to read some. I'm glad I finally did.

I've not really read much stuff by David Lapham, but the stuff I have read has been absolutely haunting and memorable. This book is no exception.

Out kind of reminds me of Frank Miller's "Sin City
Madhurabharatula Pranav Rohit Kasinath
Lapham crafts these stories well, each issue having a specific theme but related to an overarching and recurrent cast of characters. Each time a character reappears, a new facet of their personality is explored.
The stories are sometimes shocking, sometimes disturbing but they are all highly original and I would recommend them to any fan of noir and crime stories.
This is comic writing at its best.
The only issue I have with the stories is that there is an uneven sense of quaity from story to sto
Paul Allard
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Black-and-white comic collection

A series of black and white violent stories, all inter-connected, jumping about from one time period to another.

There’s a fair amount of violence, some of it mindless. The stories are all connected but zap aback and forth in time. If this is not read in one go, it’s difficult to remember where everyone fits in because of the flashbacks and flash-forwards.

Quite entertaining but not really my cup of tea.

Recommended to those who like comics about hard living.
Robert Haack
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought this started off well but then I found this confusing with all the bouncing around in time and it just did not seem to flow well. I was not sure if this was one story and they were bouncing around it time to fill in the gaps of how everybody got to where they were or if it was separate stories.
Jason
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The artwork is killer, it's super detailed and professional but has a hint of underground grunginess to it. Each issue tells a different story set in the same little world. Most of them are pretty depressing, but they're all exciting and evoke a tone that's unique to this graphic novel, I've never read anything else like it.
Annette Jordan
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this. The digital volume I read had issues 1-4 and even though they jumped around in time the stories do seem to be interconnected. I'm curious to find out more about the mysterious Harry and will probably read more of the series. The art work is simple black and white but works well with the dark theme of the book.
Ben
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
An intriguing start to a series with some strong moments and a nice sense of style. Not in a hurry to read any more but I would like to know how the separate stories all tie together as they start to towards the end of this volume.
James
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, fiction
An extremely dark, violent and brutal roman noir comic. Has some child abuse scenes that make James M. Cain look tame. An interesting read once sort of thing if your a fan of the old pulps. ...more
DJ CNo
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite graphic novels of all time!
Bryan Dunk
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't read many graphic novels, but I liked this. I'll definitely read more of the series.
Justin Hook
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
a darker kind of comic than i usually go for, but well worth it.
Is the Stray Bullets : Sunshine and Roses run as good as the original ? 1 4 Sep 20, 2019 12:56AM

• My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
  • Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • Something is Killing the Children, Volume One
  • The Property
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science. Bad.
  • Arrugas
  • Harleen
  • Le Bal des folles
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • Chicken with Plums
  • Black Hammer '45
  • Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China
  • Exit Wounds
  • Howl's Moving Castle Picture Book (Howl's Moving Castle Film Comics, #1)
  • Copper
  • Everyday Matters
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 4: Age of Doom Part Two

Stray Bullets (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Stray Bullets, Vol. 2