Start by marking “Calculus: Early Transcendentals (Non-Infotrac Version)” as Want to Read:
Calculus: Early Transcendentals (Non-Infotrac Version)

Calculus: Early Transcendentals (Non-Infotrac Version)

These best-selling texts differ from CALCULUS, FOURTH EDITION in that the exponential and logarithmic functions are covered earlier. In the Fourth Edition CALCULUS, EARLY TRANSCENDENTALS these functions are introduced in the first chapter and their limits and derivatives are found in Chapters 2 and 3 at the same time as polynomials and other elementary functions. In this ...more
Published June 4th 1999 by Cengage Learning (first published February 1st 1995)

Start your review of Calculus: Early Transcendentals (Non-Infotrac Version)
Joseph Mirabelli
Once again, an update to avoid confusing friends in my strange recent goodreads habits: In preparation for the qualifying exam, I will be rapidly binge reading my undergrad texts for the next few weeks. I liked Stewart while reading it, but I loved returning to it in a reference. While I didn't feel the need for examples and problems in all but a few areas, I appreciated the quality of available exercises in passing. Glad with my ug professors' choices.
Matt
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My university uses this for Calculus I thru III (differentiation, integration, and multivariate, respectively), and it's a well-rounded textbook. The application chapters - including sections on differential equations - were useful stepping stones to more advanced classes, and the introduction of vectors is handy for those who expect to take linear algebra.
Jon Gauthier
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reusing this for Calc III.
---
I read this textbook for my AP Calculus BC class. It wasn't too dry, fortunately, and used lots of pictures / tables / charts as reading aids. Many of the exercises included had to do with interesting applications in other areas of math, physics, and engineering — much more fun than the standard "sliding-ladder" problem types that showed up in previous courses. I just wish the authors would have skipped steps less often in the examples.
Alex
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mathematics
Very detailed, easy to understand, and fantastic reference for the study of Calculus.
Hanyu
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if I should be reviewing textbooks on goodreads. I have dabbled with quite a few and have somewhat sentimental opinions depending whether I enjoyed the course or not haha.
But regardless, this is an wonderful introductory textbook to calculus. The topics discussed are the absolute essential you need to have. Loaded with lots of practice problems and the proofs and theory are explained with the right amount of mathematical rigor for its intended purpose.
Ayush Bhat
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a thorough reference manual for Calculus, will touch every topic in detail.
You are not going to like reading it like you'd like reading Spivak's Calculus book, which is more like a tutorial not just reference manual and I gave it one star lesser than I have given to Spivak's book. ( Because we have google for reference, right?)
Laura Brennan
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear, easy to understand, to the point. Simple, well thought out graphics and nice design. All textbooks (especially biology textbooks) can learn from this one. All textbooks should be written like this.
Preeyasree
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will be of help to students who will need a good understanding of Calculus. Don't be intimidated by the number of pages. Great for understanding concepts. This book quotes a lot of real-world examples.
Oluwatosin Oseni
Wonderful for self teaching with some what creative problems to solve
Adam Peterson
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best Calculus text I could find. Do every exercise and you'll never be bored.
Jakob Kapala
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read most of the chapters as I used it in Calculus 1, 2, and 3.
Stephen Journeay
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent presentation of calculus, and includes very good material on functions, series, vectors, and good examples.
Mike
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people brushing up on calculus
When it comes to math books at the calculus level and beyond, I feel like none are really at the elementary level. Most start out at the intermediate level and try to get to the advanced level too quickly. When I first used this book for Calc 1-2, I hated it. The examples were skipping steps and did not help me with the problems. Most of the problems aren't hard, they just require simple tricks or the directions are confusing. For example, If I tried to do all odd problems in a section, I could ...more
Fleur_de_soie
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: econometrics
very thorough in calculus theories and also in application to various of areas, like economics, biology physics and engineering.

rich in graphs

the author is very good at arrange materials, which would help you a lot on remembering the content.

use it as a review, so did not cover all the content.

exercises seem to be good, but hard to find detailed solution, so ignored
Neko~chan
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
Casually reading calculus textbooks...
not for school or anything, no, why would I read a calculus textbook for school?

I quite liked this edition. Explanations were easy to understand and the material was fleshed out, comprehensive. I basically self-studied with this book since my teacher just assigned problem sets without explaining the lesson, and got a pretty good grasp of the concepts.
Josh
Not as elegant as Spivak's text but certainly a bit more thorough. Fairly easy to read and offers lots of supplementary material and exercises. As good an entry as any into the wonderful world of calculus.
Elle
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This is my third semester with this book and I have to say, with one excellent teacher this book was an awesome supplement, and with two sucky teachers this book makes a wonderful substitute. Thank you for teaching me calculus, calculus book. You will remain in my shelves forever.
Lee
Nov 11, 2010 marked it as not-finished  ·  review of another edition
Certain parts of the text are hard to follow, and the examples sometimes skip steps. I purchased the Studious online account (last for 180 days), and that has been extremely helpful. There are videos for showing the solutions to odd numbered problems, and there are section quizzes.
Kyley
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
continuing to read this for 3rd semester calculus.
Christina
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gripping tale of tangents and tauruses.
Rasha
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was almost forced to read this book for collage refrences
And the 7th adition is pretty good and easy to understand
Jon
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent text.
Jared
Oct 24, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the bane of my existence, but it's getting me through calculus, so maybe it's also secretly my hero.
Show
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only complaint I have is the repetition of typos in the solutions section. This textbook breaks down the details with simple graphs and examples that is easy to read and understand.
Evan
It's slightly biased toward engineering applications and slightly short on proofs, but it's an alright textbook.
Ashlee
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aw, such fond memories. What did I NOT learn from this book? I used it all 4 years in college and still use it today. I dare you to find a better calculus book!
Tycho
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, math
Calculus is not my cup of tea. My mind stops at Trigonometry.
Gabe Steinman Dalpiaz
Alright textbook, but the questions are a tad boring and it could use some fleshing out in my opinion. Not sure what the fuss is about, but an all around solid introduction to calculus.
Dena Burnett
Probably one of the "better" calculus textbooks I've had to read and work from.
Nicky Lim
Textbook for UIUC calculus sequence. Good book with appreciation to application and accessible to beginners. Colorful and clear pictures ease the learning.

• Linear Algebra and Its Applications [with CD-ROM]
  • Vector Calculus
  • Database System Concepts
  • Operations Research: An Introduction
  • The Calculus With Analytic Geometry
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • English Grammer & Composition
  • Fundamentals of Physics
  • Anarchy, State, and Utopia
  • How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method
  • Calculus
James Stewart is a professor of mathematics and a violinist. He has written a number of textbooks, notably on calculus.

For other James Stewarts, see similar names.
“Notice that if , then and , whereas if
, then and .
(a) If is absolutely convergent, show that both of the
series and are convergent.
(b) If is conditionally convergent, show that both of the
series and are divergent.
44. Prove that if is a conditionally convergent series and
is any real number, then there is a rearrangement of
whose sum is . [Hints: Use the notation of Exercise 43.
an an

0 a
an an
0 an

a

a

r
Take just enough positive terms so that their sum is greater
than . Then add just enough negative terms so that the
cumulative sum is less than . Continue in this manner and use
Theorem 11.2.6.]
45. Suppose the series is conditionally convergent.
(a) Prove that the series is divergent.
(b) Conditional convergence of is not enough to determine whether is convergent. Show this by giving an
example of a conditionally convergent series such that
converges and an example where diverges.
r an

an

We now have several ways of testing a series for convergence”
1 likes