Start by marking “Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball” as Want to Read:
Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball

Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,230 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Sometimes I like to curl up in a ball
So no one can see me
because I'm so small.
Published June 30th 2001 by Sterling (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball

karen
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I like to curl up in a ball, so no one can see me because i'm so small.

photo DSC01682_zps82b78838.jpg

Sometimes I like to jump high as I can

photo DSC00510.jpg

To see how much noise I can make when I land.

photo DSC00031.jpg

photo DSC09649.jpg

photo DSC08033.jpg

Sometimes I like to just walk round and round

photo DSC01602_zpsf7d63f1d.jpg

I pigeon step pigeon step, till I fall down.

photo DSC04071.jpg

Sometimes I like to stand still as a tree,

photo DSC06787.jpg

and watch everyone rush around about me.

Sometimes I like to poke out my tongue

photo DSC09040.jpg

or make funny faces, now that c
Clouds
OMG this book is cute!
Karen already did the perfect review.
Seriously. Check it out.

Sometimes I like to Curl Up in a Ball is a list of a baby wombat's favourite things to do.
The artwork is... sumptuous and gorgeous.

My little boy, Fin, is only eighteen months old, but he loves this one as much as me.
When the wombat pulls funny faces, Fin pulls funny faces.
When the wombat gets covered in mud, Fin says "Oh-no! Dirty!"
When the wombat curls up in a ball with his Mum at the end, Fin strokes the book
Charlotte Dutton
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Sometimes I Like to Curl up in a Ball, written by Vicki Churchill and illustrated by Charles Fuge, focuses on an adorable little Wombat exploring his favourite things to do during the day before bedtime approaches. The reader sees him jump up high, pigeon step, scream loudly and poke out his tongue until he finally returns to his ball like shape, seen on the front cover of the first page, when it is finally time to join his mum to go to sleep.

The two areas of the curriculum where I believe this
Jasmine
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun illustrations, great cadence to the text, Wombat has an ACTION PACKED LIFE. Hiding, jumping, shouting, falling, racing, hiding again.
Farhana Begum
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amusing tale about a little wombat who tells us what he likes to do. The story is told as a repetitive rhyme which appeals to children so they are more likely to be engaged. The book is full of fun and funny pictures as the wombat describes what he likes he do. The wombat likes to pull funny faces, scare his friends and then falls over. The images and actions of what the wombat enjoys doing can be related to what children do and also many of us adults can relate to our own childh ...more
Abby
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is adorable. It's so cute. The narrator is a wombat who tells about some of the things he likes to do for fun, like jump or yell or pretend to be a tree. This book has a very young target audience and has the potential to be a delightful, interactive bedtime read aloud (with the likelihood that little ones will want to jump and yell along with the wombat). In the end, he likes to curl into a ball to go to sleep. A perfect segue to light-out.
The illustrations are lovely, and the charact
Rima Khanom
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little wombat who describes all the different activities he likes to do. The book is visually appealing because it is very colourful and has rhyming words which will help the children decode regular words.

This book would be suitable for children in nursery and reception who are beginning to learn about phonics. I read the book to the children at the end of the day but it can be used for guided reading. The children enjoyed the images and were concentrating on what the little
Stephanie
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I LOVE this book. I read it at least once a year. I used to read it at least once a week when my son was younger. The illustrations are just perfect. Young Wombat is so adorable and so reminded me of my son at that age. Just a great, lovely book.

So childlike in its wonder.

Cannot recommend this book enough.
N
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhymes, poetry
I got this because I thought the title sounded hilarious. Instead of someone on the verge of a nervous breakdown, I got an adorable wombat who moves any way that pleases him. Neat verse that lends itself to being recited or acted out, rather than plainly read.
Corianna
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
'Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball'...This lil' Wombat hasn't any idea of the wonders of Yoga he will show us today!
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Adorable illustrations and perfect for storytime--gives kids the opportunity to make silly faces, pigeon step around the room and curl up into a ball to go to sleep.
Lori
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, bedtime
My grandsons discovered themselves all throughout this charming book, especially the page where the critter likes to be be loud. Great book for preschoolers and lap time.
Nhi
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute book for children!
Sarah Brombley
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
This book includes so many actions and interesting movements that you can use with children. It gets them moving and thinking about different ways they can travel through their day.
It also shows attachment to home and family which is lovely to see.
Ruth Ann
Endearing and detailed illustrations help tell this story of a fun-loving wombat who goes about his day with zest!

Good for an interactive pre-school storytime.
Marta Timbrook
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read aloud to get wiggles out!
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
one of the best children's books every
Nikola Mitrovic
Predivna knjižica, sa prelepim ilustracijama. Imitirali smo ponašanje malog vombata sa svake strane (protezanje, pravljenje grimasi, vrtenje u krug) i to je uvek izazivalo brdo smeha.
Val
this would be a good storytime movement book.
Christine Meunier
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A colourful, rhyming read for young children.
Nancy
What do you like to do sometimes? This question is golden, and this book lets me ask it. This is one of my top-ten for preschoolers.
Amanda
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable book, one of my favorite children's books.
Allen Brokken
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-me
This was one of my favorite books to read to my kids when they were little. My middle son would curl up in a ball when I read it. It's a great book for connecting with your kids.
RoneshaM
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the cutest book I have ever read. Maybe it was the illustrations but after I read this book it made me feel happy. This is, of course, a children's book but it was still a good read. It is also a great story but there are a lot of animals so you could have a lesson/ activity about the animals that you see in the story. The characters are very cute since they are animals and that makes it even more fun to read.
Piyali
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet!
Ashley
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ages: 3-5

Plot: Little Wombat tells us about his favorite activities; from curling up in a ball to standing tall. These activities keep him busy all day until he goes home at bedtime and curls up in a ball.

Assessment: This is a delightful story that can be as a book to encourage activity, or near bed. Children can mimic Little Wombat's actions like jumping up high, standing "still as a tree," or making funny faces. There is a light rhyme scheme that makes the story almost
Christine Turner
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I like to curl up in a ball So no one can see me because I'm so small. Little wombat spends a day doing favorite things--what could they be? Are they your favorites, too? Let's look and see! He especially enjoys walking around and around, and doing a pigeon step till he falls down. Or sticking out his pink tongue--and pulling funny faces (now that can be fun)! And maybe he'll jump just as high as he can, and see how much noise he will make when he lands. But when the day ends and the s ...more
Krystal
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alicia
Author: Vicki Churchill

Genre: Narrative Picture Book

Publication Info:Sterling Publishing Company: 2001

Reading Level: Early Early

Topic/Theme: Personality/Individuality

Issues Addressed: What do you like to do; what helps you sleep

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Shared reading.

Summary: Wombat explains what he likes to do for fun. "Sometimes I like to scream ever so loud, not that I'm cross, I just like how it sounds." He reveals all of the things that he enjoys. Most of all,
Mandy J. Hoffman
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The picture on the front cover was enough to get this book off the library shelf and into my bag! Once we got it home and sat down to read I realized just how adorable this book is. Quite honestly I'm not sure what kind of animal this little guy is, but through out the book it tells about what he likes to do. Sometimes he likes to stand tall like a tree, sometimes he likes to make funny face. And so on goes the story. The storyline makes for some great interaction with kids and a great opportuni ...more
Alecia
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-catalog
Author: Vicki Churchill

Genre: fiction picture book

Publication Info: Sterling Publishing (2003)

Reading Level: ages 3-6; early

Topic/Theme: wombat lifestyle

Issues Addressed: activities of a wombat

Classroom Uses: independent reading, read aloud, shared reading

Summary: Little Wombat spends a day doing his favorite things and he describes them all for readers. He enjoys walking around and around doing the pigeon step until he falls down, curling up in a ball and rolling aroun
  • I Know a Rhino
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Ten In The Den