Start by marking “Shelf Life: How Books Have Changed the Destinies and Desires of People and Nations” as Want to Read:

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A celebration of the literate and of the "civilized culture that grows up around the printed word". It explores the world of books and the enormous impact reading has had on the lives of people, the courses of nations, and the enrichment of life.
Published September 1st 1999 by Cumberland House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Shelf Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelf Life

Christopher Rush
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Despite the grandiose subtitle, Mr. and Mrs. Grant's book is basically another collection of quotations from famous people (and a few not-so-famous contemporary people) about how great books are writing are. Nothing new there. The Grants add a few brief histories of some famous people are their love of books and their homes (such as Winston Churchill and Teddy Roosevelt), which are nice little tidbits, but they certainly aren't worth the price of the book. Toward the end, the Grants collect a fe ...more
Joseph Crampton
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love books, and, if they were all like this, then I would say that I love books on books. Perhaps I am biased. Certainly I am less well-read than the authors, but I would love to read most of the books that the Grants recommend.
I enjoy making book lists, you see, but I have a hard time following them through to the end.
Dr. Grant convinced me that just because a book is hard to read or a little above my head or out of my ordinary range doesn't mean that it isn't worth my time. He convinced me (
Bethany
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Know what this book is and what it isn't before you get your expectations too high. It is a celebration of books and authors and reading. It is a collection of essays and quotes. It is an inspirational book, the kind that does well on coffee tables with the occasional flip-through. And its best bonus, I think, is the collection of lists in the back that could've easily doubled my to-read list.
Trisha
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book about books by Dr. George Grant. How could it NOT be AMAZING?
Anne Marshall
Jul 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A good collection of essays and quotes on books.
Steve
trav
Oct 16, 2012
Sharon
Jan 16, 2011
Dr. George Grant is an evangelical educator recognized by a Tennessee newspaper “Review Appeal” as the one who “lives and breathes” education.

Grant is known as a reformed scholar and evangelical activist who hopes to promote sound Christian doctrine, seeking honest answers to honest questions, developing true spirituality and experiencing the beauty of human relationships.

He founded Franklin Clas
More about George Grant...