Start by marking “هنر سینما” as Want to Read:
هنر سینما

هنر سینما

Film Art is often assigned to college students taking their first film class. Authors David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson do not follow the traditional method of teaching film art through a close analysis of individual films. Instead, they provide an overview of the major issues students confront when they watch movies. In clear, straightforward prose, the authors describe ...more
Published 1998 by مرکز (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about هنر سینما, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about هنر سینما

Spike Gomes
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this book in a pile of discarded books and picked it up because the cover was compelling, and I know nothing about the art and science of movie-making. I'm rather glad I did because this was an excellent introduction into the field, with a nice balance of both application and theory and wide range of content covered from mainstream Hollywood to obscure experimental films, and from silent classics to modern digitally recorded cinema.

Through reading this book I've discovered why modern movie
Achie
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Film Art was my first book on film studies. I was not yet an avid film students by then, but this book captured my interest so deep as then it made me impatiently waiting for my future film-study classes.

It's not a manual book of film techniques. Yet it does encompass that issues from an artsy point of view. This book discusses elements of films (e.g., shots, lighting, color, mood, tone, narrative, plots, acts, genres, hollywood era, and many more), precisely on how they constitue the overall l
Jay Amari
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone with an interest in film or who likes to watch movies with an understanding of the processes that involve filmmaking, will get something from this excellent edition of a text book that has become the staple of film studies in a formal educational setting. Film Art: An Introduction (Eighth Edition) by David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson is an excellent updating of a great film resource text.

I was first introduced to first edition of the text way back in the late 1970s when it was smaller
Brandon St Mark
My final exam for Intro to Film is on Tuesday (the 30th of April), so I’m going to go ahead and mark this as read. I didn’t read the whole thing through because the teacher assigned us segments she wanted us to have read prior to her lectures. However, I can say that this is really comprehensive and a good book about film. I do think that, the way she did her lectures, the book wasn’t really necessary. I think if you were trying to learn the information on your own, this would be a great resourc ...more
Qt
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, film
Fun to read :-) Lots of illustrations too, and it enhanced my appreciation of movies :-)
Astrid Vingerhoets
This author is never boring and has great educational skills. Thanks for teaching me so much about film history!
Manda Keeton
Film Art presented a struggle for me. While the textbook has great organization and breaks up the concepts into thoughtful sections, I have personally not viewed many of the films that the authors focus on in their analysis portion of the text. As a result, the analysis was often difficult to fully appreciate and understand due to lack of reference. I imagine if the reader was familiar with the films included in the textbook, the experience of reading it would be much more beneficial. For others ...more
Montana
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Film Students
Recommended to Montana by: Film Studies Teacher
This book may be a text book but its really easy to read and I learned a lot from doing so. I am an arts student at university and this semester we are studying video art, this was the first book on our reading list and I almost read it cover to cover! I found it incredibly helpful to understand the basics on film art and how video is made. It was also a fantastic resource to look back on when I completed my assignments. If you are studying video or would like to gain a basic understanding for t ...more
Dûr
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school
Read for school

Gives you a nice repertoire for analysing the structure of different kinds of cinema, from the very beginning with the Lumière's train, up through the silent era and beyond, including experimental films, animated films, and documentaries. What bothers me most about the book, is that it's a textbook that happens to be about a subject I like. As a result, it's a bit bland in its descriptions, especially if you know some basic things about the art before you delve in.

Bordwell/Thomps
Anjan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative, but could be better organized. I learned a lot, but unless I take notes and then sort the Information it is unlikely to stick to my brain because the organization isn't intuitive.
This text needs more headings and signaling of what will be discussed where.

paragraphs will contain two partially related Ideas separated by a string of examples. you have to work harder to get the relevant information that you would have to work if the book was better organized.

I bought a used copy
Alyce Hunt
Despite the width of this volume, I devoured it in two sittings. There were some sections that I could skip, so this isn't a review of the ENTIRE book... But if you are studying - or have an interest in - film, this is a great crash course in exactly how it works. Featuring in-depth media terminology, more screencaps than you can count and a brief recap of the history of well, Bordwell and Thomson excel themselves.
Quin
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has it's place in Film 101 courses. My big criticism is that for a book which includes many pictures for reference, the number of times I had to flip the page to find the referenced image was too high. Hopefully later editions have a better layout.
Al Capwned
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, american
Now, that's an introduction! A little bit of everything you need to know about the art of cinema. I only wish it had more non-Hollywood information.
Mariel Ozoria
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an introduction to reading and analyzing film, pretty darn good.
Miriam Jacobs
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apart from being a little dated this is an excellent textbook. I am using it mostly to help order main ideas for an introductory course in film.
Jarvo
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watch a lot of films (and the amount seems to be going up and up), but I've learnt about them as I go and reading the market leading textbook seemed to be a good way of putting it altogether, and identifying any holes. And so it pretty much proved to be. Bordwell provides an excellent overview, especially in a long central section on technique. Here four chapters deal with: mise-en-scene (roughly speaking what you choose to put in front of the camera, including actors); photography; editing, a ...more
Catherine Woodman
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this book out loud to my freshman in college, who as a result of the introductory course in film analysis that this book is the reading for has decided that film study is not for him--but I have to say that there is a lot to be learned from this book, and one of the great things about it is that it gives specific examples of various film techniques from movies that you can watch, and then read the explanation. The book includes examples from over 200 movies, so watching them ...more
Chuck Kollars
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread (mainly because I was looking for something and the index is not all that comprehensive [and besides, what I was looking for turned out to be in a different book by the same author])

Comprehensive, un-stuffy and painless introduction to the world of films. All the various techniques and how they've been (maybe still are) used.

(note I read a _very_ early [possibly "obsolete"] edition of this book - I doubt it made any difference though, as while later editions seemingly expand the content
Alisha Brook
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Title: Film Art - An Introduction
Series: -
Author: David Bordwell & Kristin Thompson
Genre: Informational
Rating: 4 stars

This textbook on film art isn't as comprehensive as some, but it is as the title suggests: an introduction.

It discusses elements of films such as shots, lighting, color, mood, tone, narrative, plots, acts, genres, hollywood era, etc.

It provides many colour images to assist with learning, and it is set out in clearly structured format which makes it very easy to read.

It h
Alan
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite film intro book, use it for the Film History & Appreciation class. For something deeper, look to Bruce Kawin's book. But for a beautifully-written text to get students to understand the artistic and historic aspects of the art form, you couldn't ask for much more than Film Art, written by the cutest film historian couple out there, Bordwell & Thompson. Bordwell's blog as damned good too.
Arta
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cinema
A clear must-read for every film buff. The book greatly elevates your understanding and accordingly your appreciation of film. It covers all the formal elements, narration, film genres and even has a brief outline of film history in the end. The text is very simple and straightforward, technical terms are all explained and it's totally understandable. In the end I can't think of a more simple yet comprehensive introduction to film!
Fiona
This book was the textbook for my film analysis class. I actually really enjoyed reading it. It was probably the most entertaining book I read all term. Of course, that's probably because I'm a film nerd and I think cinematography and lighting and camera positions and all that stuff is super interesting. Maybe not everyone finds that enjoyable... Either way, I know I'm going to refer back to this book throughout my life and probably my early film career.
Esther
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: film-lovers, animators, film-makers
Shelves: art, informational
I had to read this book when I attended Image and Media Technology at the Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht, and it taught me a lot about films, how they are made, what imaging can portray, etcetera. If you are a film lover and you feel you would like to get some background on it instead of just popping in a dvd, this is really something you should read!
Henry Sturcke
Good overview, well-written. Analysis of films, many of them well-known to anyone interested in film, but also with a few "Haven't seen this, but now I'd like to check it out". Ample illustrations. For those who want to go more in-depth, there are references to blog entries. It's a textbook, not literature, but for what it is, it's very good.
Zaneta Padilla
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For being a textbook, I really enjoyed reading this (minus the chapter on abstract and documentaries). It gave thorough analysis of movies with a thorough description of techniques used. It was incredibly informational, as any textbook should be, but was very visual with the wordage and read like a movie.
Jessica
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Used this book for my film history course and loved it, although the Film History: An Introduction one was better. This one was still amazing, and I love reading in it. Will keep it just because it's really fun, even though I don't need it for the course anymore I can't part with it. Really interesting read.
Katy
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of introductory film studies
The book is very information dense. It is packed with references to films that should be well known to good students of film studies. Unfortunately, it is so packed with references and information that reading often becomes tedious.
André Vridstoft
Bordwell is a talented writer. Wether or not you agree with his theories, he is an interesting an important figure in film theory. I don't agree with all his obsevrations, but he does argue well for his theories.
Victoria
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film-books
It can be long winded, and even dry at times, but a important book to have for anyone studying film.
It's not a book you can sit down and read for fun for it is more of textbook.

A book I will be keeping and referring back to throughout my film career.
Marley
Aug 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
gorgeous textbook, great design, and the co-authors are married and great to work with. The authors have a blog here: http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/ lots of interesting film stuff.
I want to watch Buck Toothed Women now.
سایت فیلمسازی 1 8 Oct 29, 2011 06:17AM

• Film History: An Introduction
  • Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings
  • How to Read a Film: The World of Movies, Media, Multimedia: Language, History, Theory
  • What is Cinema?: Volume 2
  • A History of Narrative Film
  • The Cinema Book
  • The Oxford History of World Cinema
  • Film Form: Essays In Film Theory
  • Film As Film: Understanding And Judging Movies
  • Cinema Studies: The Key Concepts (Key Concepts) (Routledge Key Guides)
  • The Major Film Theories: An Introduction
  • Film Theory: An Introduction
  • Understanding Movies
  • From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies
  • Film Noir Reader
  • The Films of Akira Kurosawa
  • The Technique of Film and Video Editing: History, Theory, and Practice
  • A Short Guide to Writing About Film
David Bordwell, Jacques Ledoux Professor at the University of Wisconsin, is arguably the most influential scholar of film in the United States. The author, with his wife Kristin Thompson, of the standard textbook Film Art and a series of influential studies of directors (Eisenstein, Ozu, Dreyer) as well as periods and styles (Hong Kong cinema, Classical Hollywood cinema, among others), he has also ...more