Start by marking “Joe Speedboot” as Want to Read:
Joe Speedboot

Joe Speedboot

Joe Speedboot is een roman over liefde en rivaliteit, over een verlosser zonder belofte en een heroïsche odyssee. Het toont het lot van nieuwkomers in een Nederlands dorp, waar de last van het onverwerkte verleden op de inwoners drukt. De tragikomische maalstroom van gebeurtenissen geeft het ingeslapen dorp een onverwachte dynamiek waar het niet meer van zal ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by De Bezige Bij

To ask other readers questions about Joe Speedboot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joe Speedboot

Start your review of Joe Speedboot
Johanna
Feb 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch-lit
THANK THE HEAVENS I FINALLY FINISHED IT.

*clears throat*

Okay, so a lot of people recommended this to me and I honestly do not understand why. I struggled reading this SO much. The first half I just found boring as hell, and after that it did pick up but I still kinda hated it. I suppose a lot of praise for this book is because the narrator is disabled, which, you know, GREAT! Diversity! Except I fucking despise his character. And I mean sure, very noble to have a disabled protagonist but other
Marc
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Normally I’m not such a great fan of ‘boys books’, like ‘Tom Sawyer’, ‘Kees de Jongen’ or even ‘Le Grand Meaulnes’, but I confess that I appreciated this one. Wieringa brings so much more than a funny coming of age-story. He draws a rather marginal, Dutch community (a small catholic village, on a river, fascist past included), but he also opens up to the wide world (Papa Africa). The great hero of the story, Joe Speedboot, keeps his mystery till the end; his appeal is that he seems to dwell in ...more
Kate
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dutch-literature
I read the last half of this book on the train from Paris to The Hague, and it was so absorbing that I managed to block out the weirdo on stimulants across from me, and the guy who swayed to the sound of the music that came leaking out of his massive earphones kitty corner to me.

This book's in Dutch, written in a page-turning kind of way. I found that I cared about the characters and their fates and cringed whenever bad things happened to them. The narrator is a teenager in a wheelchair who
Vince
Jan 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is the reason why I hate Dutch books. It's not because all Dutch autors are bad, but some of them just can't seem to write a interesting story. The stories are just too boring and narrow. This book didn't even had a clear storyline. I had to read this one for school, but if I would read this book for fun, I would probably have put it away after one or two chapters.

As the story didn't have a plot, after awhile you do kinda get to like the characters and their narrow friendship. Too bad the
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
When Frankie Hermans wakes from a 220-day-long coma, one of the first things he hears about is the new arrival of another boy, Joe Speedboat. Joe arrived noisily: his father crashed the car into the lounge room of the small town's most eminent family and died instantly, while Joe's mother and little sister India were in the back seat; and he continues to make an impact. Home-made bomb explosions have been laid at Joe's feet, and the townspeople are hung up over the twelve-year-old's strange ...more
Tom
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful debut book by one of my favourite Dutch authors. 'Joe Speedboot' (don't let the silly name talk you out of reading this one) is essentially a book about movement, but also about what brings people together and drives them apart again. Not only that, but it is also a sheer joy to read; stylistically wild, funny and exciting. In short, 'Joe Speedboot' is one of those rare Dutch books that deserves the word 'memorable'.

Wieringa constructs the town of Lomark, a very normal Dutch town
ba
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading, I immediately wanted to compare it to The Tin Drum, but stopped myself on the basis that there would be no guilt about WWII involved. Of course I'm an idiot.

One of the many things I liked about the story arc was that the boys met and became friends for random reason of proximity, or based on one random incident, as kids do, and stayed friends despite their personalities not because of them, as young men do.

All things seem possible at a certain age, and all of that which
Sibyl
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a wonderful novel. It's funny, sad, profound - twisting and turning in unexpected places. Reading it took me into a different country, another mind, another body. It's not a tightly-plotted, fast paced book, so may not suit readers who want unremitting narrative tension. But although it's quite downbeat about the limited opportunities availabe to people in a small town in Holland, we are also able to identify with the ways in which different characters do their very best to ...more
Hellen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Just another book about young guys bonding over simultaneously sleeping with and slutshaming a young woman.
Vic Van
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to get into the story, but in the end I absolutely loved it. It's about dreams and illusions, about love and betrayal, and set in a scenery that triggers the imagination. It is well-written, and thought-provoking, but above all a terribly good story, which, in my opinion, is essential. The only thing that bothered me now and then was that the language felt a bit too 'Dutch'.
Manu
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
my very first all-dutch challenge...it did last me a lifetime!
ditch the dictionary, enjoy the prose!
Seen from the point of view Fransje, 14-year old, stuck in a crippled body, with only his right arm still functioning.
It's a Bildungsroman, but what a page turner!
Cecile
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was pretty boring but sometimes there were fun parts.
SueLucie
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, loved every word of it.
Rosie Ouellette
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Has been translated to English. Absorbing , poignant and heart wrenching yet light. Written by a distant cousin of mine .
Lynn
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
More a four and a half. Very interesting characters in this book, very reminiscent of the writings of John Irving.
Marije
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Let's just say it was an interesting journey.
Kayla (The Thousand Lives)
My Initial Thoughts/Rambling: I really don’t know how I feel about this one, probably because it was entirely different from what I was expecting. I probably should have read the review on the back – “A sparkling bildungsroman [coming of age]” and then would have known what I was getting into. As many coming-of-age stories progress, there wasn’t much of a plot, more character driven. It took me about 50 pages to understand that, but from then on I did pretty well. Possible Spoilers Ahead.

What
Calzean
A kind of uneven book - there were parts that were fresh and full of vitality and there were parts that plodded off into tangents. Wieranga covers coming of age, Japanese Samurai fighting moves, arm wrestling, religion, Egyptian book building, Paris-Dakah rally, the building of a home made aircraft, change, friendship and secrets.
The narrator, Frankie, is paralysed after a freak accident. He wakes up after 220 days to find a new family in town and a boy of his age - Joe Speedboat. Joe is a
Jorien
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the writing on this book. I loved the atmosphere the writer describes in the first half. It is so hard to figure out in which decennium the book takes place.
The second half the story get weirder and weirder. If the author had not gone there, I think this would have made for a great Dutch novel in the tradition of Nooit meer slapen en De Avonden.
Now it's a whole different book, but quite a read non the less.
Luca Peres
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have seldom read/ watched such an intelligent and witty coming-of-age story. Its plot is good, but not the best. Some of the subplots seem very plausible and interesting. The story is told through the eyes of a crippled boy and put you in that situation; You feel crippled and disabled when reading this. Seeing this book made into a movie would make me smile.
Bianca
Apr 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had absolutely no fun reading this.. The plot didn't make sense to me, it was just too damn Dutch, and I only kept the copy of my book to remind me to never write a book like this (and because Tommy Wieringa was kind enough to sign it for me, I suppose).
Katy
Aug 18, 2010 added it
I grabbed this as I ran through the library one day. That usually doesn't work out very well, but this time it did. I liked it, then Brian read it and liked it, too. He thought some parts were predictable but that's because he's smarter than I am.
Christine
May 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was a bookclub book- we ended up having a good discussion but it still didn't make me change my mind about the book. Maybe some of it was lost in translation but the book just didn't flow for me.
Beppie Smits
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to us by a friend and I liked it a lot. The Dutch background is realisticly put down, including the small mindiness of the village people. The humor is great and the reality real. I coundn't stop reading.
Marc
May 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Intersting book in that it had a very choppy beginning, but a very good ending (typically the reverse of what I find). Some well written phrases. Interesting, though slightly one-dimensional, characters.
Susan
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I wavered between 4 and 5 stars, but to me this book was amazing. Full of insights about life that come from the narrator: a teenage boy in a wheelchair, only able to use one arm and unable to talk. Not at all a sad story or even uplifting, just a bit weird and highly entertaining.
Fritz
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book might end up on my list of favorites. What a wonderful energetic string of words this is. A delight to read.

No other words are necessary. Don't read the synopsis or the blurb. Just read the book.
Manon den haan
Mar 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
it was very hard to read through
Sarah Jean
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Loved this very original plot!
Marjet Wullink
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I like the use of language. Nice that it is from the perspective of a boy who is not able to communicate well with the world.
« previous 1 3 next »
Netherlands & Fla...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Ended - Group Read #20 - Joe Speedboot by Tommy Wieringa 16 56 Dec 15, 2014 11:37AM

• Bonita Avenue
  • De helaasheid der dingen
  • Tirza
  • Een schitterend gebrek
  • Hersenschimmen
  • De donkere kamer van Damokles
  • Tonio: een requiemroman
  • Alleen maar nette mensen
  • Knielen op een bed violen
  • La Superba
  • The Angel Maker
  • Het huis van de moskee
  • Turks Fruit
  • De zwarte met het witte hart
  • Nooit meer slapen
  • Twee vrouwen
  • The Assault
  • Vaslav
Tommy Wieringa (born 20 May 1967 in Goor, Overijssel) is a Dutch writer. He received the Ferdinand Bordewijk Prijs in 2006 for his novel Joe Speedboat.
“De meeste mensen zijn gemiddeld, sommige zelfs ronduit minderwaardig: maar ze zijn allemaal heel gevoelig voor de hogere concentratie energie of talent in de bovengemiddelde mens. Hebben zij geen beschikking over datgene wat licht geeft in jou, dan jij ook niet. Ze hebben geen talent voor bewondering, alleen voor slavernij en afgunst. Ze stelen het licht.” 6 likes
“Toen op zekere dag een bus van Piramid Tours Nuweiba binnen reed, zat hij in de leunstoel naast de deuropening van zijn winkel. Later die middag verschenen de eerste toeristen van de nieuwe lading in hun straat, drie vrouwen. Nederlanders. Mahfouz had daar geen tweede blik voor nodig. Je kon Nederlanders nog weleens verwarren met Duitsers, maar die gedroegen zich over het algemeen met een moeizaam soort bescheidenheid, alsof ze elk moment gearresteerd konden worden. Duitsers praatten weliswaar harder dan Nederlanders, maar liepen niet alsof de wereld van hen was. Nederlanders bewogen alsof ze overal de weg wisten, met een voetstap die zwaar was van het eigen gelijk.” 1 likes