Start by marking “How Kind!” as Want to Read:
How Kind!

How Kind!

One good turn deserves another - and another - in this universal tale about the contagiousness of being kind.

Hen gives Pig an unexpected present. "How kind!" says Pig. Pig is so touched, in fact, that he decides to do something kind too. So Pig gives Rabbit a gift. "How kind!" says Rabbit, who does something kind for Cow, who is kind to Cat, who wants to be kind in turn. W
Board Book, 24 pages
Published February 2nd 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about How Kind!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Kind!

Start your review of How Kind!
Kathryn
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well.... I'm having trouble deciding how I feel about How Kind!. On the one hand, it's a very sweet, simple story suitable for the toddler set on up on the "pay it forward" theme. When an animal receives a gift from another, they think, how kind that animal was to me! I'd like to be kind, too. So, that's nice. But... the ending was kinda weird and slightly disturbing to me! (I looked up reviews and I'm not the only one who felt that way...!) (view spoiler) ...more
Jen
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was all on board with this book; it's clever, the illustrations are messy in a delightfully engaging kind of way (I mean that in terms of the lines and such; very big-block-crayon feel), and there's a lovely variety of ways to be kind. The basic message is pay it forward, which is great.

But the ending was super weird. I know it's kind of ridiculous to put in a spoiler alert for a kids' book, but I'm doing it anyway: (view spoiler)
Elizabeth
Very sweet, but I don't understand why Hen gave Pig an egg in the first place. Was it to eat? That seems cruel. Was it to hatch? Who was to raise the hatched chick? I have questions here. ...more
Shiloah
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a quality story for littles on kindness and how it generates reciprocal experiences. Beautifully done.
Erin Gunderson
Nov 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
What the heck? This book does not make sense to me at all! I get that it's supposed to be about how one good deed can spark another, but the original deed and the last deed just kinda ruin the story for me and don't make sense.

What were Hen's intentions? (view spoiler) The ending
Christine Grant
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Summer Learning Program 2017. Theme Build a Better World. Focus on Kindness.

"How Kind!" is a simple story that illustrates how one act of kindness leads to other such acts. The large colorful drawings were perfect for toddlers.
Julie
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I liked this one a little more than MK but I'll try it with her again sometime. ...more
J
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a sweet, cute book. I read it to toddlers and they enjoyed it.
Brittany
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Then wasn't kind. The hen just made pig do her job. I don't get this book. ...more
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple, but effective way to show young children that kindness is contagious.
Vivian
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
A good deed is passed from friend to friend til it goes full circle.
Heather
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars as a flannel story. very sweet for valentines day!
Lexi
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: march2019
Why do I have the feeling this chicken just pulled a fast one on the pig? o.O
Amy Nicole
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Very simple book for younger kids about how to pay it forward and do random acts of kindness.
Awjtf
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
A sweet book about doing kind things for others. Loved it!
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love how it also includes an act of service instead of just gift-giving. Beautiful illustrations1
Miss Sarah
A hen gives a pig an egg and around the animal circle kindness goes with each animal giving something or doing something for one another. Cute. Toddler and up.
Allison
The story involves farm animals familiar to children and carries the message of “Pay it forward.” Each animal receives a kind gift (flowers, playing a favorite game, an egg, etc.) and feels touched. Then, the animal who received the gift wants to do something kind for another animal. In the classroom, this book could get young children excited by seeing some animals they know. I would use a story basket with this book.
Dianna
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Animals do kindness for each other in a sort of chain reaction until it comes full circle, back to the hen where it started. My 18-month-old likes the pictures in this book, and I like the message. Also it's short enough for a baby and the bold illustrations of farm animals really caught her attention. ...more
Krista
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-310
This is a great book for teaching kids to be kind, and thoughtful to others. It portrays, with simple and colorful illustrations, how you should treat others with respect so they treat you the same. I would definitely read this book in a kindergarten or 1st grade lesson as they learn about friendship or respect.
Mary
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The message in the simple story is very overt--kindness inspires kindness--as farm animals pass good deeds along. Bold bright illustrations and spare repetitious text make this a good book for preschool-1st grades. The font may be a challenge for some beginning readers. Compare and contrast with other books about kindness: Be Kind by Miller, and A Hat for Mrs. Goldman by Edwards.
Samantha
A picture book of revolving kindness in which a hen gives a pig an egg and the pig passes the kindness on to another animal and so on and so on. Illustrations rendered using ink and wash. Great read aloud for PreK-2.
Kendra
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A super short and simple book about kindness that appeals to the younger age group. I was very pleased with the message that the book taught, and yet the book was fun for the kids to read and not overly complicated. I think this goes on my "would like to own" list. We enjoyed it! ...more
Meg McGregor
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book to share with everyone in your life - not just your little ones.

Hen gives Pig an egg, and then Pig gives Rabbit a carrot, and the kind acts just keep going on and on.

No kind act, no matter how small, makes this world a better place to be!
Mary
I read this to two classrooms this week, and it was a lot of fun to read out loud. It gives children the opportunity to participate in the story and make inferences as to what might happen next. Good for ECE readers!
Maren Prestegaard
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
cool illustrations yes. and maybe a good book if i have trouble sharing. but Mom was REALLY bored.
Heidi
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my 2 yr old favorite book and has been for about a year. Very cute and a short book to read.
Amanda
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
very simple story in which everyone shares
Courtney
Very early introduction to the pay it forward concept.
Barbara
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kids picked this from the library but I'll be buying copies for my nieces and nephews for Christmas. It is adorable and teaching a great lesson - how wonderful it feels to be kind to others. ...more
2018 Roe Reading ...: How Kind! 2 2 Dec 11, 2019 08:04AM

• Little Blue Truck
  • Stick and Stone
  • The Invisible Boy
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Love: From Sesame Street
  • From Head to Toe
  • Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, Book 1)
  • The Party in the Sky (The World of Anahi & Vir)
  • Beach Baby
  • Pete the Cat and the Bedtime Blues
  • Hello, World! Ocean Life
  • We're All Wonders
  • But Not the Armadillo
  • Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
  • Busy City
  • A Is for Awesome!: 23 Iconic Women Who Changed the World
  • Beautiful Moon
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
Children's author and illustrator Mary Murphy enchants even the youngest of readers with her bold style, combining eye-catching graphics and a bouncy text that seemingly jump off the pages.

Mary Murphy has an advanced diploma in Visual Communications and has written and illustrated a number of children's books, including her lift-the-flap, pull-the-tab book about friendship, ROXIE AND BO TOGETHER.

News & Interviews