Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Game Theory” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Game Theory

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Game Theory

Gain some insight into the game of life...

Game Theory means rigorous strategic thinking. It is based on the idea that everyone acts competitively and in his own best interest. With the help of mathematical models, it is possible to anticipate the actions of others in nearly all life's enterprises. This book includes down-to-earth examples and solutions, as well as charts a
Published March 1st 2011 by Alpha (first published September 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Game Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Game Theory

Start your review of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Game Theory
Jeremy Townsend
May 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I found this book unreadable, it was dry and uninteresting. Fortunately, I got it at the library. Boy did this book make me fall a sleep.
Marts  (Thinker)
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good overview of game theory...
Earl Grey Tea
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I was planning to offer an extracurricular class for some of the students that hope to enter the world of business at the Korean high school that I work at. Game theory seemed to be the most popular among the students, so I decided to find a book that I could use to teach.

I went to the Kyobo Book Store (교보문고) up in Gangnam to find a book that I could use to introduce the concept of Game Theory to my students. After perusing through multiple books, I decided that all of the Game Theory books with
Matt Comstock
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good introduction to various aspects of game theory. The concepts of pure and mixed equilibria were covered ok, and mathematically. Later portions of the book contained fewer mathematical derivations, which initially was frustrating, but then I realized the math was pretty complicated for an introductory text like this. The final sections on behavior and 'real' vs. purely rational players was very interesting, covering things like repeated prisoner dilemma games and cases where ...more
Ricardo Vargas
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: game-theory
Great introductory book about Game Theory. Very well explained, this books was a great introduction for me to the topic. I used it while attending the Coursera/Stanford Course "Game Theory".

Introdução excelente sobre teoria dos Jogos. Muito bem explicado, o livro foi uma grande introdução do assunto para mim. Eu utilizei o livro quando participando do curso da Coursera/Stanford chamado "Game Theory".
Filipe Dias
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Being an introduction to Game theory, cutting away all the mathematics and trying to sum it in real world and easy examples, I think the author did quite well, as it is very approachable indeed. Then again, as it is my first book on the subject, I don't know how well it captures the concepts, or in other words, I don't know what to expect from it to be like.
Anyway, for those interested in the area it is a great way to start and see if you're into it or not.
Tom Schulte
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Game Theory presents an analysis of the rigor of strategic thinking while confronting the reader with as little of the mathematics as is possible. The book’s frequent examples amplify each concept with supporting detail. The Guide touches on the history of the craft made popular by the Noble Prize-winning John Nash of “A Beautiful Mind “, the logical underpinnings of modeling within this theory, and the role of social behavior and psychology in games.
Joey Comeau
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great introduction to Game Theory. I love these Idiot's Guide books, though avoided them for years because of the titles. They seemed like pandering cash-in sort of books to me, but the ones I've actually read have been intelligently organized, plain language introductions to complicated topics. They're really useful, in my experience. Though I don't think they'd be any good for people who already know a fair bit about the topic.
David
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A thorough, non-technical introduction that reflects not only classical theory but also experimental evidence. I teach an introductory game theory course and I found the organization of topics helpful in causing me to reflect what I do in the classroom. His writing is clear and engaging, and he also acknowledges the individuals whose. contributions he presents.
John Orman
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
A good review of Game Theory fundamentals, with some mathematical underpinnings and equations given. Nice intro to the subject.
Robu-sensei
Very straightforward explanations; perfect for someone who's heard of game theory but knows nothing about it. I would have appreciated more mathematics, but I'm weird that way.
LMS
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This was helpful during some last-minute panic studying of Microeconomics. Game theory is fascinating, although even with the Complete Idiot's guide, I don't know if I entirely understand it.
Mila
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People
  • Prayers and Declarations that Open the Courts of Heaven
  • The Jewish Code
  • EMRA Antibiotic Guide, 18th ed.
  • The Secret of the Ages
  • There's a Crack in Your Armor: Key Strategies to Stay Protected and Win Your Spiritual Battles
  • The Money Code: Become a Millionaire With the Ancient Jewish Code
  • Opening the Gates of Heaven: Walk in the Favor of Answered Prayer and Blessing
  • Mastery
  • Purging Your House, Pruning Your Family Tree: How to Rid Your Home and Family of Demonic Influence and Generational Oppression
  • Secrets from Beyond The Grave A Biblical Guide to the Mystery of Heaven, Hell and Eternity
  • Deduct Everything!: Save Money with Hundreds of Legal Tax Breaks, Credits, Write-Offs, and Loopholes
  • Out of the Devil's Cauldron
  • The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World
  • Death Comes as the End
  • The Comedy is Finished
  • Inventing Japan: 1853-1964
  • A Test of Wills (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »