Start by marking “A Simple Path: Basic Buddhist Teachings by His Holiness the Dalai Lama” as Want to Read:
A Simple Path: Basic Buddhist Teachings by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

A Simple Path: Basic Buddhist Teachings by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

A four-colour, fully illustrated book by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, author of two recent well-received books. It offers an introduction to Buddhism and to the landscape and culture of Tibet. The text, based on lectures on the four noble truths given in London, lays out the fundamentals of the Buddhist path, showing us how we can develop our compassion and find happiness ...more
Published January 25th 2003 by Thorsons Publishers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Path

Start your review of A Simple Path: Basic Buddhist Teachings by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Literary Chic
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great, quick overview of Buddhism. Also, the child in me loves the pictures. There are several Thai/monk/mandala pictures included. A very enlightening preview.
Converse
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was hoping to learn a bit about Buddhism from this book, the author of which should certainly be knowledgeable about the subject. The book is intended to describe the Four Noble Truths that make up the heart of Buddhism. Maybe its me, or maybe the subject matter does require exceptionally fine distinctions, but I found the writing in a number of places obscure, and I didn't always understand what was written.
Zachary Paige
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite books on Buddhism. It's not an 'overview' book but a focused lecture on the four noble truths. In this regard, however, it was incredibly insightful for me. Each chapter explains in detail what the truth is and what it's place is within the four noble truths. In this way each chapter builds on the chapter before it providing an ever deeper understanding of how to recognize, understand, and through this understanding how to live a life that is in harmony with ...more
Andrew Sydlik
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Collection of lectures from the Dalai Lama interspersed with beautiful pictures of Buddhist monasteries, figures, and art.
The text is mostly accessible, as he attempts to boil down complex concepts into simple language for the everyday reader. Focuses on the Four Noble Truths, which is the core of Buddhism. After reading this, I felt for the first time I really began to *grasp* what Buddhism is all about, though I have much to learn.
Shaunesay
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Quite complex for being a simple path. Maybe a little detailed for someone not at all familiar with Buddhism, like myself with an interest but no real knowledge as of yet. beautiful pictures. An interesting discussion, perhaps a book to refer back to at a later time.
Jessica
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book. Some sections are hard to follow.
Cody
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
"After all, death is part of life; there is nothing strange about it; sooner or later we all have to pass through that gate. At that time, whether or not there is a life after, it is very valuable to have peace of mind. How can we achieve peace of mind at such a moment? It is possible only if we have some experience in ourselves that will provide inner strength, because no one else can provide this for us: no deities, no gurus, and no friends. This is why the Buddha says you must be your own ...more
Ann Tracy
Nov 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
the only dalai lama book that i've read was "the art of happiness" and i loved that book. i read it when it first came out, so it's been a long time. right now in my life, i felt i needed an inspirational book, unfortunately this one didn't do it for me. didn't finish it, it's certainly not as good as "happiness."
Brock Ray
Too focused on enumerating different levels, types, etc. 12 of this, 9 of another. Seems more interested in defining foreign words that making a solid point about Buddhism. Definitely not a simple path.
Melanie
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Melanie by: ginny
i learned that i will not be becoming a Buddist but that the Dalai Lama is an amazining man. I plan to read more of what he has written because I think his thoughts can help all of us lead a better life
James Spencer
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit difficult to try to correctly pronounce all the Tibetan and Indian names, but when you look beyond who taught what, the Dalai Lama presents the basics of Buddhism simply and with conviction. I really enjoyed the book, felt compelled to take notes, and will definitely be reading it again.
Philip
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a coffee table book somewhere in my house, I pick it up when I need some positive energy. I've enjoyed reading some of the Dalai Lama's writing and have found this book to be a nice read.
Heather
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this book a little bit each day now. It is truly inspiring and gives great insight to the thoughts of the Dalai Lama
Tracy
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-lit, owned, info
Well written, and great pics to enjoy.
Bonnie
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
everyone should read at least one book on buddhism, so that it can stop being used as some kind of cultural shorthand for "happy" or "enlightened."

Tara Turner
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book by HH DL that exquisitely describes the four noble truths.
Ying
Nov 27, 2008 is currently reading it
Buddhism is more a "way of life", rather than a "religion"...more philosophy than theology.
The book is filled with fantastic pictures, with more than a few "ah ha" moments.
Amandapanda1
May 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I have only read parts of this book but it makes me calm.
Dorothy Hynous
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found it very difficult to understand. I rated it high because of 3 very special insights
Sara Will
Jan 02, 2011
Kar Vega
Jul 08, 2012

• The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom
  • The Bitch in the House: 26 Women Tell the Truth About Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood, and Marriage
  • Reverence for Life: The Words of Albert Schweitzer
  • The Big Book of Less: Finding Joy in Living Lighter
  • Brave Enough
  • Words That Matter: A Little Book of Life Lessons
  • Ego Is the Enemy
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the