Start by marking “First to Fight (Starfist, #1)” as Want to Read:
First to Fight (Starfist, #1)

First to Fight (Starfist #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  1,862 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Two armed forces veterans and authors teamed up to create this action-packed military SF adventure of Marines on a deadly interstellar mission. In a hellish alien desert 75 light-years from Earth, an eight-man squad of Marines faces 2,000 bloodthirsty savages with state-of-the-art weapons in their hands and murder on their minds. Original.
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published June 26th 2001 by Random House Audio (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about First to Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First to Fight

Per Gunnar
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is yet another marine story starting at boot camp. I do not know why but these stories seem to be much more popular than the ones that focus on tech and starships. A shame since I like the latter much more.

Anyway, this is a fairly good book. It’s a not too complicated story about a marine, his first training and his first mission. Naturally there has to be the usual clueless, dumbass officer in there that doesn’t know what he’s doing but thinks he does. Fortunately he gets properly dea
Mike (the Paladin)
Not a bad book. You get just a taste of each bit of "Fleet Marine" life. We get the drinking carousing etc. We meet Dean and the outfit.

The story opens with Marines suffering because of a new piece of equipment (I was discharged from the army in '75...remember what happened with the M-16 at first?).

The story has a lot of stereotypical moments and even stereotypical characters...but it's as I said not a bad read. I'm going with 3 stars, didn't love it didn't hate it.

I like military Science Fictio
Jim
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of, I believe, a 14 book series. I believe I have read these books but I can't remember when and I don't remember the books.

StarFist is a typical military sci-fi book. There's a lot of character building in this book since it is the introduction to the series. The main character is a young man named Dean. I'll let you read about the rest of his name. He joins the "space marines" and his journey begins.

Each book tells a story that involves Dean, not necessarily directly, but h
GikiGalore
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this ages ago and just spent half an hour trying to track down the author / title... so I'm putting it on my Goodreads list so that I can find it next time!

The prelude is what stands out in my mine - the team is sent out to test new equipment that fails and they have to work hard to make it back alive...
Aristoj
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A really badly written book with very predictable events and plot lines. The writing is choppy, formulaic and dull. The voices of the two authors can be seen in the opposing opinions voiced in the book.
Bill Bowne
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice to read a story where the good guys win and the bad guys lose, even though they inflict some painful losses along the way. Too bad the liberal wuss publisher abandoned the Starfist series (despite it's popularity!).
M Hamed
May 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sci-fi, 2017
writing military science fiction needs more than knowing the inner working of the military
this book has no vision,no innovation
nothing
Aaron
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the series and the complexities only a few people will get. A must read for Sci-Fi military lovers.
Daniel Shellenbarger
First to Fight is essentially a science fiction re-telling of Black Hawk Down. Admittedly, that's a loose analogy, but there are a large number of parallels. The story is set in the 25th century and the confederation marines serve as rapid response troops to deal with strife on the many worlds colonized by mankind, dealing with everything from religious warfare to piracy to insurrections to humanitarian aid. Like many similar stories (take your pick from Ian Douglas, Heinlein, or Steven L. Kent ...more
Dromeda
Starfist: First to Fight is the first book in a Military Science Fiction series focusing on the 34th FIST (Fleet Initial Strike Team) of the Confederation Marine Corps.

The book started strong with an engaging Prologue that drew me in. However, the opening chapters nearly lost me all together. I understand that the authors were trying to introduce characters and the Starfist universe, but I feel that many of the situations in the first half could have been condensed or eliminated to help the stor
Sgt Maj
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wordy, To a Fault

Thank you for keeping boot camp as short as you did. It was still way more than necessary. However, in keeping boot 'short', I was overwhelmed with pages and pages of daily, mundane USMC life, history and ceremony. It was a struggle to continue and finish. For instance, 6-8 pages of getting ready and going through an inspection?

I'm sorry, maybe a bit too jaded over time, and never took history, tradition and ceremony to heart -- just way too much and felt very 'soapy '(?) to me
Greg Heath
The series gets a lot better from here on out, but this is still a fairly strong opening salvo. Sgt. Gunnery Charlie Bass and company are deployed to a remote, backwoods world with an insurgency problem (this will become a standard setup in novels to come). Before this, though, we're given some character development on the training grounds and a crash-course in the world's military lingo and tech, much of which isn't too far-flung from what we have now. From the outset, Gunnery Bass is an intens ...more
Bob
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sci-fi
I was very disappointed. This book seemed to me to be basically a unit of modern-day Marines with plasma rifles fighting every "bad guy" ethnic group from modern-day earth collected together on one planet and led by a reincarnation of Genghis Khan (right down to receiving the reins from his father whose untimely death let him take over the confederation his father had forged). If that sounds far-fetched, I thought it sounded that way, too. I could've overlooked that, though, if it moved quickly ...more
Mark
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Military warfare set in a supposed future where the military is exactly the same as present day. I picked this up being interesting in a sci-fi styled futuristic military novel, but what I got was a present day military novel that just happened to be in a sci-fi setting.

Aside from the fact that Starfist takes place on other planets with slightly more modern weaponry, absolutely nothing is any different than would be in a retelling of any Marine operation in present day. The author's military inf
Hellions
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This really read like a caricature of a good old boys' dream military SF book, with plenty of unrealistic situations (the planet which serves as a playground for this fiesta has been colonized by several of our current modern terrorist factions; there are NO women in the 25th century marine corps...), plenty of stereotypical characters (the perfect super duper ultra competent sergeant, the inadequate mean-spirited officer, the dumb villains...) and a plot which only starts rolling in the last th ...more
Jake
Dec 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free download for the Kindle on Amazon, and is pretty basic military science fiction, though the main plot of the book after bootcamp takes the science part out of the equation. I believe that it was an attempt to say that a marine is a marine regardless of when. It's a fast, easy read, great for a commute or vacation. The characters are likable and the story is fine. On the strength of this book (and probably what Amazon was hoping for) I picked up the next couple in the series.
Will Schutz
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. IT is full of swear words, bad themes, and gore. This book starts of as you follow this young man who comes to joins the marines in like the 25th centary.You follow the young marine throught his basic training to his first mission on and strange alien plant that is just one big desert. This book is really good for a guy or a woman who has a guys sence of humor. I would give this book a five star. David Sherman is just a fantastic author.
Conal
This is the first in a long series of military sci-fi adventures told by David Sherman in a far future universe. This one started out really slowly as the author spends more than half the book on back story and preparation of the action scenes to come. It did have a rousing finish and I am glad I stuck it out. I will also probably read on in this series as well.

3.5 Stars for a good action finish. This one could have been better if the action stretched over the whole book.
Charles
Aug 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dissappointment
Um, no thank you - 100 pages of Basic Training - Military Sci Fi should be about those already trained UNLESS the training has some special information or purpose - Yeah, I know that the authors are both ex-military - so am I, and I do not need to relive Basic with Laser Guns with guys that are boring, DI that are generic and nothing actually happens - this is more of a info dump beginning - no purpose and no desire to continue - thanks for nothing.
Scott James
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Military sci-fi written by actual combat veterans. What's not o like? I've had this book on my kindle for almost three years, and I now know I should have read it within seconds of downloading.

Follow the adventures of 3rd Platoon, L Company, as they parlay a "hardship" assignment into some of the best action the Marines have seen since leaving Earth.

And the best part about this book? There's many more volumes waiting for you to enjoy. So get to it, boot!
T.L. Evans
First to Fight: Starfist Book I by David Sherman and Dan Cragg is the opening salvo in the immense Starfist series. It is a stand alone Military Science Fiction book is a rip-roaring adventure that does exactly what it says on the tin. If you like MilFic, buy this book. If you don't like MilFic, move along, you will not like it. For a more indepth review go to http://wp.me/pWa2h-kW
Lynn Genevieve
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review applies to the whole series: Each book individually is a quick read; they rarely bog down. Military space opera SciFi, pretty typical stuff. I do like the detail and the character development through the whole series. I know it's not high literature but I re-read this series just for fun annually and it rarely disappoints.
Nathan Brown
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and authentic in feel ... the military experience of the authors really comes through in the dialogue. Too often, people with no military experience miss the details that makes a military-styled story sound true to life. This is NOT one of those cases. I thoroughly enjoyed this read.
Nick
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Pretty decent military sci-fi series. Though there is a certain degree of "Marines are the best there ever was, is, or ever will be." If that doesn't bother you, then it's definitely pretty enjoyable.
John Arnold
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
anyone in the military should love these books, really good reads and hard to put down. You will fall in the formation and feel the battlefield deaths that each character feels. Great military writing!
Jake Seamans
This was purely a nostalgia read for me--I read a later entry in the series when I was 10-11 and decided to go back and read this one to see if it held up through the years ... Not so much. It's not terrible, but just not something that will keep me reading the rest of the series.
Dave Sanders
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, well written, action movie of a book. I definitely want to keep reading the series. This isn't John Steinbeck here - no grand new discoveries of human emotion or philosophy. But its a fun read that doesn't tax your brain too much.
John
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle freebie. Quick read, once it got going. Hard to start due to completely alien frame of reference. But, once there, equivalent to any military novel, with the sci-fi thrown in for good measure.
Beau
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by two former Vietnam NCO's, this 25th century Marine story is kind of like the old Nick Fury comics. I'm late to the party - there are already like 14 books in the series, and thankfully the Provo Library had like 10 of them.

Don't try to reach me for a couple of weeks.
Don
I've always been a big fan of SF military soldier stories, and especially when they are done well.

This is one of them.

Crass language (exactly what is expected in battle tales regarding Marines) and descriptive bloody combat.

Not for young readers.
  • Semper Mars (Heritage Trilogy, #1)
  • The Kiribati Test
  • Orphan's Alliance (Jason Wander, #4)
  • The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1)
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
  • The Clone Republic (Rogue Clone, #1)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • Eye of the Storm (Hedren War, #1)
  • Insurrection (Starfire, #1)
  • Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1)
David Sherman has been a Marine and a sculptor. He writes science fiction and military novels.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name.See:

David Sherman
David Sherman, Professor of Philosophy)
David "Scoreman" Sherman
David Sherman (1822-1897)
David Sherman, journalist, playwright
David Sherman
More about David Sherman...

Starfist (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • School of Fire (Starfist, #2)
  • Steel Gauntlet (Starfist, #3)
  • Blood Contact (Starfist, #4)
  • Technokill (Starfist, #5)
  • Hangfire (Starfist, #6)
  • Kingdom's Swords (Starfist, #7)
  • Kingdom's Fury (Starfist, #8)
  • Lazarus Rising (Starfist, #9)
  • A World of Hurt (Starfist, #10)
  • Flashfire (Starfist, #11)