Start by marking “How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The classic handbook for launching and sustaining a career that "explodes the romantic notion of the starving artist", with new and expanded resources for succeeding in the burgeoning Internet art market (The New York Times)

Now in its fifth edition, with over 85,000 copies of previous editions sold, How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist is the preeminent guide to taking
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 384 pages
Published December 1st 2001 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist

Lisa King
As I continue to read more books on creativity and the business of art, I picked up the classic book by Caroll Michels "How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul". This is the sixth edition of the book, published in 2009 and it has a new chapter on internet art marketing. I've read this book before almost ten years ago and it is as good now as it was then, even better because it has been updated to reflect the times. It is a very valuable tool for an art ...more
Leah
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-craft
Half useful advice, half woefully outdated advice (being originally published in 1983) this book does have some useful information on grant proposals, but their advice for marketing includes no information about online marketing (but it does say put together a press kit with a 8x10 glossy headshot). I believe most of the glossary in the back can be found online.

Some of the assumptions (entire chapter on how to psych out art dealers) are a little strange, and it contains none of the middle groun
Deborah K.
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am still reading this book and plan to use it as a guide for furthering my career as a visual artist. After rereading several sections, I will now get to the end of the book. However, I will most probably be working with it for a long time to come. It has answered questions that I have had for years about the practical how-to ways to get my work out into the world and move forward as a successful visual artist. The section on writing a resume is PRICELESS!
Ann Tracy
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I forgot I had read this book a few years ago; some helpful suggestions/ideas.
Summer
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read the new version of this book and - wow!

This is a fantastic, hands-on, straight-forward look at business for the artist. It doesn't minimize the importance of connecting to others and selling your work and yourself as an artist to the right people. It also emphasizes the importance of not limiting yourself by location or others' perceived value of your work. I especially liked the real-world advice about hard work being a basic element of success, and how the starving artist is just a myth
Anastasia
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, non-fiction
Brilliant, inspiring, scary, overwhelming and full of great advice. Can't wait to put it into practice!
I think this should be a must-read for every Arts graduate wondering how they are going to 'make it' after school. I wish my University had provided any kind of course or workshop on the art business subject! This book is full of valuable information and creative people in all fields of art can find something for themselves, even if it is just reference toward further resources - which there is
Sam
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
The author brings up a lot of excellent points and arguments. I don't agree with all of the actions recommended, however it is an important book to begin grasping how the art world works and getting a good business sense for your art career. Just pause before doing all that is advised and see how your own career is developing, particularly in light of changing global economics and internet sales.
Alicia
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is straightforward and organized well. Most of the information is common sense, but it's really helpful for beginning to sell art. I liked the tips on finding appropriate galleries, pricing, etc because it's nice to have an idea of what to expect.

I didn't rate it 5 stars because it was kind of a dry book.
Marta
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book addresses many elements of having a career as an artist. I liked that, aside from the practical advise of applying for galleries, grants, etc. it addressed the psychological conflicts one might encounter: conflicting feeling about monetizing on your artwork, feelings of self-doubt, competition, etc. A very useful read... just make sure you get the most current edition!
Jaime
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Everyone in the arts should read this, including writers. There is a huge appendix in the back with a ton of resources, and she lays out the business aspect of art in a non-anxiety producing way.
Artistparent
Sep 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Great information, good resources, and very realistic. Geared towards visual artists.
Sheona
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the clear concise and precise info. Little weak on the cyber and internet info but a book full of good solid advice for any artist
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any artist
Recommended to Laura by: Beth Norton
Extremly useful as a resource guide. I could not be without this book. No artist should be without this in their library.
Jessica peyton
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Great art reference
James Prothero
Invaluable reference source. I read sections of it and will keep if for review as I build my art business
Mike
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Packed full of info on how to make it as an artist. My new bible.
Matte
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
The 80% of the information that wasn't outdated in this book was very helpful.
Nancy
  • ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career
  • Inside the Painter's Studio
  • Taking the Leap: Building a Career as a Visual Artist
  • The End of Art
  • The Anti 9-to-5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • New Vintage Type: Classic Fonts for the Digital Age
  • Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
  • The Diaries of Paul Klee, 1898-1918
  • Drawing Human Anatomy
  • The Reenchantment of Art
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »