Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > **Spring Reading Challenge**

Comments (showing 1-50 of 544) (544 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (last edited Aug 14, 2011 11:53PM) (new)

Brenda | 25944 comments Mod
With spring at our doorstep the temperature is starting to warm up, so shed those woolly blankets and grab a book that warms the heart instead....

Photobucket

1. Spring clean your bookcases by reading a much loved, but yet unread book..either novel or biography..

2. Choose a book that features a new life - a baby (animal or human) on the cover/in the story.

3. Choose a book for it's cover - a spring image with all it's colour.

4. The Royal Adelaide show is on 2nd - 10th September.. http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index... ..so a book about a show/carnival rides/handicrafts/cookery/livestock..anything to tie into the event.

Photobucket

5. The Brisbane Writers Festival is on 7th - 11th September.. http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index... so choose a book written by an Aussie author, released somewhere in the 3 months of Spring.

6. Seeing as Spring colours are predominantly red and yellow, pick a book with either a red or yellow cover, and post the book cover as well, so everyone can see (and get colourful suggestions).

7. Sydney Eisteddfod is running until 20th September.. http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index... and they are searching for the best young Australian talent, so pick a Young Adult book, not necessarily by an Aussie author, for this event.

8. The Spring Racing Carnival culminating with the Melbourne Cup is in November, so a book about horses/horse racing/betting/money won and lost..

Photobucket

9. How about a book with the title beginning with the first letter of your name....e.g. I could choose Black Wave: A Family's Adventure at Sea and the Disaster That Saved Them

10. For the last one, you have a choice...a book with a garden connection for spring or a non-fiction/biography, again with a spring connection!

Some links to help you with your choices: http://www.dymocks.com.au/Search/resu...

http://www.collinsbooks.com.au/frontp...

And maybe you could do a search at your local library, you may come up with something special :)

Another link to help with the YA section http://www.goodreads.com/search?query...

Photobucket

HAPPY SPRING READING

message 2: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 6760 comments Mod
Count me in. :D

I will come up with a list tonight after i finish work.

message 3: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Great, Michael:)

David (TasBookLover) | 151 comments Sounds like fun. I'll work up a planned list when the boss is looking the other way!

message 5: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Good on you David:)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments I'm going to try Coming of Age in Samoa: A Psychological Study of Primitive Youth for Western Civilisation. I've wanted to read the controversial anthropological work for a while and I'm sure this birth into a new phase of life fits the spring theme.

message 7: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (last edited Aug 14, 2011 10:17PM) (new)

Murray wrote: "I'm going to try Coming of Age in Samoa: A Psychological Study of Primitive Youth for Western Civilisation. I've wanted to read the controversial anthropological work for a while and..."

Good one....That would be #2 Murray, what are you going to choose for the other 9;D

Lesley | 280 comments Sounds great Brenda, something new to think about whilst I finish the Winter challenge!

Laura | 2928 comments Indeed I will be joining in on this :)

message 10: by Sally906, Eclectic Reader (new)

Sally906 | 1756 comments Mod
I'm in - still holidaying in NZ - finished my last winter challenge book today. Will make a list of books for the spring challenge when I get back next week - see you all then!!!!

message 11: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Great news from you all..can't wait to see all the listed books......hope you are enjoying NZ Sally:)

Michael (Knowledgelost) | 2640 comments This list is harder than Winters, I have no idea what to pick for some of these books

message 13: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Knowledge Lost wrote: "This list is harder than Winters, I have no idea what to pick for some of these books"

I'm sure you'll work them out KL....you might have to deviate into other genres to do it? Good luck...I guess picking the books is a challenge in itself!

Michael (Knowledgelost) | 2640 comments Brenda wrote: "I'm sure you'll work them out KL....you might have to deviate into other genres to do ..."

What genre don't I read?

message 15: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Knowledge Lost wrote: "Brenda wrote: "I'm sure you'll work them out KL....you might have to deviate into other genres to do ..."

What genre don't I read?"

I don't know Knowledge? ;D

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments Brenda wrote: "Murray wrote: "I'm going to try Coming of Age in Samoa: A Psychological Study of Primitive Youth for Western Civilisation. I've wanted to read the controversial anthropological work ..."

Oh, I didn't realise I had to choose one for each.

Paula Weston (PaulaWeston) | 8 comments This is a tricky list to put together! I think I can squeeze seven from my towering "to read" list, but I'm going to have to go searching for the others... will post the full list when I'm sorted.

message 18: by Laura (last edited Aug 15, 2011 02:56AM) (new)

Laura | 2928 comments 1. Life: Keith Richards

2. Bart Simpson Class Clown -MAGGIE SIMPSON is Bart's little baby sister :D

3. I don't own any books with a spring theme at the moment so skipping this.

4. Graffiti Japan

5. No idea for now.

6. Headspace: On the Trail of Sniffer Dogs, Wasp Wardens and Other Dumb Friends in the Surveillance Industry

7. Catching Fire

8. Repeat Until Rich

9. Level 26

10. Kings Way: The Beginnings of Australian Graffiti: Melbourne 1983-93 - I think this will fit as it's to do with Beginnings which Spring is about 'new life'.

Will prolly come back and add if I find books I can read :)

Life  Keith Richards by Keith Richards Headspace  On the Trail of Sniffer Dogs, Wasp Wardens and Other Dumb Friends in the Surveillance Industry by Amber Marks Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Repeat Until Rich by Lee Aaron Blair Level 26  Dark Origins by Anthony E. Zuiker Bart Simpson Class Clown (Simpsons Comic Compilations) by Matt Groening Japan Graffiti by Remo Camerota Kings Way  The Beginnings of Australian Graffiti  Melbourne 1983-93 by Duro Cubrilo

message 19: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (last edited Aug 14, 2011 11:56PM) (new)

Murray wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Murray wrote: "I'm going to try Coming of Age in Samoa: A Psychological Study of Primitive Youth for Western Civilisation. I've wanted to read the controversial anthro..."

Yes, one for each suggestion Murray...so 10 books in total:) Because it's a 3 month challenge there is always more books to read:)

message 20: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

I just added another link to help out with the YA section of it.....

You're right KL, it is a hard one to fill this time O_O!!! I'm having trouble myself!;D

Michael (Knowledgelost) | 2640 comments told you :P

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments So is the idea to read one book from each of these categories?

message 23: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Trina wrote: "So is the idea to read one book from each of these categories?"

Yes, that's right Trina...so you end up with 10 to read over the 3 months, if you can find them all:)

message 24: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (last edited Nov 13, 2011 01:30AM) (new)

OK here's my list...it could change a little if I find different ones:

1. Spring clean your bookcases..Treachery in Death Treachery in Death (In Death, #32) by J.D. Robb ★★★★★

2. Choose a book that features a new life.. The Perfect Husband (baby born) ★★★★★

3. Choose a book for it's cover - a spring image with all it's colour...
A Thousand Splendid SunsA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
★★★★★

4. book about a show/carnival rides/handicrafts/cookery/livestock..anything to tie into the event...Love in The Age of Drought Love in The Age of Drought by Fiona Higgins ★★★★

5. book written by an Aussie author, released somewhere in the 3 months of Spring Sophie: Dog Overboard - The Incredible True Story of the Castaway Dog ★★★★

6. Spring colours are predominantly red and yellow, pick a book with either a red or yellow cover...
The Interrogator The Interrogator by J.J. Cooper (it looks more yellow than it shows here)
★★★★

7. On the Jellicoe Road ★★★★

8. book about horses/horse racing/betting/money won and lost...Private Private (Jack Morgan, #1) by James Patterson (a gambling scandal!) ★★★★

9. book with the title beginning with the first letter of your name...Black Wave: A Family's Adventure at Sea and the Disaster That Saved Them Black Wave  A Family's Adventure at Sea and the Disaster That Saved Them by John Silverwood ★★★★

10. book with a garden connection for spring or a non-fiction/biography, again with a spring connection!.. Stillwater Creek ★★★★

Paula Weston (PaulaWeston) | 8 comments OK, here's the best I can do (and Brenda, I really did A Thousand Splendid Suns on my list before I saw yours!)

1. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
2. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley -it has a baby on the cover!)
3. A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini)
4. I got nothing (and no, that's not a book title)
5. The Bridge (Jane Higgins)
6. Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins)
7. This is Shyness (Leanne Hall)
8. Dead Point (Peter Temple)
9. Pretty Monsters (Kelly Link)
10. Forever (Maggie Stiefvater)

message 26: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Paula wrote: "OK, here's the best I can do (and Brenda, I really did A Thousand Splendid Suns on my list before I saw yours!)

2. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley -it has a baby..."

Hahaha!!! Well done Paula...I love #4...I actually hadn't heard of that book...lol (I had trouble finding that one too!) You might find one in the next few months, and you can add it in:)

Lauren Murphy (AustralianBookshelf) | 53 comments Sounds like fun! I will get started on my list soon, i have just about got through the winter challenge :-)

May I suggest my YA novel A Season Of Transformation for the YA section or #4 where a show/ carnival appears in the book (one of the main scenes is set in a carnival) for anyone who may be stuck for ideas :-)

I'm looking forward to Spring and warmer weather
Jayne

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments Brenda wrote: "Trina wrote: "So is the idea to read one book from each of these categories?"

Yes, that's right Trina...so you end up with 10 to read over the 3 months, if you can find them all:)"

Ahh ok, I've never done one of these big challenges before, just some of the one-book ones.

1. I have many well-known, popular books on my shelf, including some recent ones and some classics.
2. one with a new life might be hard, a quick look at my to-read list doesn't really show any relating to new life.
3. a book with a spring image, another difficult one I think.
4. not sure I have any books related to carnival type things either!
5. Aussie author, book released in Spring...going to need some suggestions for this!
6. a book with a red and/or yellow cover: 44 Scotland Street has a red cover
7. a YA book: City of Ashes
8. a book about racing/horses/betting, going to need suggestions for this too!
9. ok books starting with K...I don't have any at the moment!
10. something/anything relating to Spring, again I just seriously can't think of any!

I think I'll look through some of the links others have posted.

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments Paula wrote: "OK, here's the best I can do (and Brenda, I really did A Thousand Splendid Suns on my list before I saw yours!)

Oh you're right about Brave New World! My copy has the baby on the cover too!

message 30: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Jayne wrote: "Sounds like fun! I will get started on my list soon, i have just about got through the winter challenge :-)

May I suggest my YA novel A Season Of Transformation for the YA section ..."

Thanks Jayne, that may help some people...

message 31: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Trina wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Trina wrote: "So is the idea to read one book from each of these categories?"

Yes, that's right Trina...so you end up with 10 to read over the 3 months, if you can find them all:)"
..."

Look a little bit outside the square Trina...for example, spring is new beginnings, so it doesn't have to be literally about spring, stretch the imagination a bit ....look at my #10..a biography titled 'from this moment on' isn't about spring as such, but a new beginning in her life:) Does that make sense?

message 32: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Laura wrote: "1. Life: Keith Richards

2. Bart Simpson Class Clown -MAGGIE SIMPSON is Bart's little baby sister :D

3. I don't own any books with a spring theme at the moment so ski..."

Nice list Laura:) I actually searched the giveaways to find the suggestions for the Aussie author NR's (#5)...couldn't think of anywhere else to look.

Laura | 2928 comments Thank you Brenda :) Lemme know how From This Moment On is..Always love reading bios!

Good idea on the #5 actually!!

★ Jess  | 2877 comments I'll work on getting a list up soon.

Ah yes, Royal Adelaide Show. Good times.

★ Jess  | 2877 comments 1. Spring clean your bookcases by reading a much loved, but yet unread book.
1984 by George Orwell

2. Choose a book that features a new life.
*TBA*

3. Choose a book for it's cover - a spring image with all it's colour.
*TBA*

4. A book about a show/carnival rides/handicrafts/cookery/livestock..anything to tie into the event.
*TBA*

5. Choose a book written by an Aussie author, released somewhere in the 3 months of Spring.
*TBA*

6. Pick a book with either a red or yellow cover.
*TBA*

7. Pick a Young Adult book, not necessarily by an Aussie author, for this event.
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

8. A book about horses/horse racing/betting/money won and lost.
*TBA*

9. How about a book with the title beginning with the first letter of your name...
*TBA*

10. A book with a garden connection for spring or a non-fiction/biography, again with a spring connection!
*TBA*

1984 by George Orwell The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Ah, Hard challenge. I'll have to think on this.

message 36: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

★ Jess wrote: "1. Spring clean your bookcases by reading a much loved, but yet unread book.
1984 by George Orwell

2. Choose a book that features a new life.
*TBA*

3. Choose a book for it's cover..."

It is actually a little difficult....thinking caps on all over the place at the moment;D And here I was thinking it'd be easy....lol

Laura | 2928 comments Hard challenges are great every once and a while I say..Makes your hair grow curley..Or was that eating you bread crusts?! ;p

Lesley | 280 comments Yes it's tricky alright. No. 8 re racing/horses/money has got me completely stumped! I need ideas!

Megan | 114 comments Sally906 wrote: "I'm in - still holidaying in NZ - finished my last winter challenge book today. Will make a list of books for the spring challenge when I get back next week - see you all then!!!!"

Are you snowed in in NZ? Everyone is snowed in over here in NZ! It even snowed in my city for the first in decades!

message 40: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Lesley wrote: "Yes it's tricky alright. No. 8 re racing/horses/money has got me completely stumped! I need ideas!"

Have a look through what people have already put up Lesley, and check back now and then, as the lists go up, and I'm sure you'll come up with something in the type of book you enjoy. I was looking through my bookcase, and reading blurbs, trying to find something, so when it said 'gambling scandal' I thought....aha!! That's the one I'm reading:)

message 41: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Laura wrote: "Hard challenges are great every once and a while I say..Makes your hair grow curley..Or was that eating you bread crusts?! ;p"

I think that's crusts Laura;D LOL

Laura | 2928 comments Lesley wrote: "Yes it's tricky alright. No. 8 re racing/horses/money has got me completely stumped! I need ideas!"

I've got two books-

Binge Trading: The Real Inside Story of Cash, Cocaine and Corruption in the City or Repeat Until Rich...Both are set in RL as well. I guess any books you read about crime usually has things to do with money.

message 43: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Megan wrote: "Sally906 wrote: "I'm in - still holidaying in NZ - finished my last winter challenge book today. Will make a list of books for the spring challenge when I get back next week - see you all then!!!!..."

Wow Megan, where are you? I saw it on the news tonight, and was amazed! It looked so pretty:)

Lesley | 280 comments Thanks Brenda & Laura.

Laura | 2928 comments Brenda wrote: "Laura wrote: "Hard challenges are great every once and a while I say..Makes your hair grow curley..Or was that eating you bread crusts?! ;p"

I think that's crusts Laura;D LOL"

Oh! Well there we go!!! lolol

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments If you're into romance/family/relationships novels, a lovely book I've read which is related to horses is The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs, one of Susan Wiggs which I love:)

message 47: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Oooh Carmel, that's a good one...great suggestion:)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Thankyou Brenda, I loved it!!!!

message 49: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (last edited Aug 15, 2011 04:43AM) (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 6760 comments Mod
Now my turn to come up with a list and try to get a full list together wich by the looks of it aint easy. =/

Paula Weston (PaulaWeston) | 8 comments Brenda wrote: "Paula wrote: "OK, here's the best I can do (and Brenda, I really did A Thousand Splendid Suns on my list before I saw yours!)

2. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley ..."

Paula wrote: "OK, here's the best I can do (and Brenda, I really did A Thousand Splendid Suns on my list before I saw yours!)

Thanks Brenda - open to suggestions on #4!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11