Historical Romance discussion

Help! Looking for...(HR Books) > Rape but NOT by the hero

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angie | 2 comments I'm looking for books where the heroines was raped or sexual abuse (NOT by the hero). the hero ether saves her at last moment or help her through the dark time and live again

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 329 comments The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1) by Gaelen Foley

Let me think and I'll hopefully come up with more

message 3: by Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (last edited Jan 15, 2011 08:15PM) (new)

Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 154 comments Annie's Song-Catherine Anderson-hereoine is raped by hero's half-brother. She's also deaf. Historical Western.

For Her Pleasure-Maya Banks-if I remember right, heroine in 1st story was raped. Contemporary

Seductive Secrets-Lynne Connolly

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 329 comments I think Catherine Anderson has a few with that theme.

Debbie (halfpint66) | 147 comments I loved Annie's Song! That book was my introduction to Catherine Anderson. She is one of my MUST buy authors.

Fani | 195 comments Devil's Embrace (Devil, #1) by Catherine Coulter by Catherine Coulter.

Koosh | 46 comments Maverick Wild (Wild, #2) by Stacey Kayne by Stacey Kayne has this theme too.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 404 comments The Rebel Bride and Night Fire also by Catherine Coulter. It's been a long time since I've read either one though.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 329 comments I found this list on a thread at romantic times... I have not read them all.
Catherine Anderson - Comanche Heart, Annie’s Song, Baby Love, Coming Up Roses, Seventh Heaven, Keegan’s Lady
Mary Balogh - One Night for Love
Jo Beverley - An Arranged Marriage
Mary Blayney -Traitor's Kiss
Terri Brisbin - Once Forbidden
Susan Brockmann - Breaking Point (Contemp)
Sandra Brown - Breath of Scandal
Sandra Brown - Sunset Embrace
Shirlee Busbee - Swear By the Moon
Sandra Canfield - Cherish This Moment (HS 213)
Marsha Canham - Under the Desert Moon
Robyn Carr - Whispering Rock
Daphne Clair - The Loving Trap
Pamela Clare - Ride the Fire
Norma Lee Clark - Lady Jane
Beth Cornelison - Danger at Her Door (SIM)
Catherine Coulter - Night Fire
Catherine Coulter - Rebel Bride
Catherine Coulter - Beyond Eden
Justine Davis - Clay Yeager - Redemption
Robyn Donald - The Paternity Test
Judith Duncan - Into the Night (HSR 196)
Andrea Edwards - Man of the Family (SSE 809)
Elizabeth English - The Linnet
Marie Ferrarella - A Doctor's Secret
Gaelen Foley - The Duke
Lori Foster - Fantasy (Contemp)
Jo Goodman - More Than You Wished
Elizabeth Grayson - Moon in the Water
Jill Gregory - Daisies In The Wind
Virginia Henley - Dream Lover
Liz Curtis Higg - Grace In Thine Eyes
Linda Howard - Bluebird Winter
Jillian Hunter - Wicked As Sin
Madeline Hunter - By Design
Karen Keast - Conquer the Night (SC 365)
Carla Kelly - One Good Turn
Lora Leigh - Maverick (Contemp)
Connie Mason - Viking Warrior
Cathy Maxwell - A Seduction at Christmas
Sarah McCarty - Caine's Reckoning (Am. West)
Janet Mullany - Dedication
Susan Elizabeth Phillips - It Had To Be You (Contemp)
Caridad Pinero - Temptation Calls (Para)
Mary Jo Putney - The Bartered Bride
Gail Ranstrom - Saving Sarah
Michelle Reid - Marriage Surrender (HP)
Francine Rivers - The Atonement Child
Karen Robards - I'm Watching You
J.D. Robb - In Death (Series)
Patricia Francis Rowell - A Scandalous Situation (HH 716)
Sharon Sala - Out of the Dark
Sharon Sala - Sweet Baby
Candace Schuler - The Right Direction (HT 467)
Lavyrle Spencer - That Camden Summer
Raeanne Thayne - Taming Jesse James
Jo Ann Wendt - Beyond the Savage Sea

Angie | 2 comments Thank you all so much! I love Catherine Anderson also she's a great writer. I’m thinking about rereading Annie's Song again , also another good one is Baby Love, it not historic but it still good !

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Jan 19, 2011 08:22AM) (new)

Heidi | 274 comments I am readingPromises Prevail right now, and that is what has happened, not only does she have her hero, but the heros from the 2 previous books on a hunt for the MEN who took advantage! AWESOME BOOK! The best of the three I have read in this series! If it continues on this path it will easily gte a 5* rating from me!

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 325 comments Here are a few I don't see mentioned yet:
Caine's Reckoning by Sarah McCarty
First Comes Baby by Janice Kay Johnson (contemporary)
Impulse by Candace Camp
My Forever Love by Marsha Canham

Debbie (halfpint66) | 147 comments I just bought CAIN'S RECKONING. Can't wait to read it. I've heard a lot of great things about this author, book and series.

Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 154 comments In The Rebel Bride by Catherine Coulter-the heroine is raped by the hero so it wouldn't fit the request. I like Catherine Coulter but this was one of the worst books I have ever read. I wanted to burn it when I was done. I think she updated the book so it's possible that she changed that part. The edition I read was the original.

Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 154 comments Catherine Anderson is an auto buy for me.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 404 comments Mary wrote: "In The Rebel Bride by Catherine Coulter-the heroine is raped by the hero so it wouldn't fit the request. I like Catherine Coulter but this was one of the worst books I have ever read. I wanted to b..."

Yea, but she was also raped by a couple people when she was young, and that was why she had a really hard time being with the hero. It wasn't one of my favorites either. I only picked it up all those years ago because (before I ever had internet to look these things up lol) I mistakenly thought it was part of the Sherbrooke series... the title fooled me lol.

Mia Marlowe (MiaMarlowe) | 59 comments I'm reading Jo Beverley's THE SECRET WEDDING which starts with the hero bursting in to rescue the heroine (albeit after the brutalization has occurred). But he kills the man who forced her and then gets railroaded into a shotgun wedding for his trouble.

Rape is a difficult issue to deal with in a romance, because it changes how a woman views all sex. Ms. Beverley handles that tension well, IMO.

Noelle | 104 comments I would rec. Annie's Song by Catherine Anderson by Catherine Anderson. The h is raped by the H's brother. And right now I'm reading Marry Me (Reidsville, #2) by Jo Goodman by Jo Goodman. The h is raped by someone (only 63% through the book and it hasn't been stated who did it yet but it wasn't the H) so far it's a really good story too.

Kim | 6 comments Beyond Eden by Catherine Coulter. Yes, Catherine Coulter did write a book where the heroine is not raped by the hero. The hero has tons of patience with her and is very loving and tender.

This story is an ugly duckling story where the heroine ends up turning into a model. I liked it.

Debbie (halfpint66) | 147 comments Caine's Reckoning was AWESOME!!!

willaful | 382 comments Lots of Jo Goodman's with this theme... A Season To Be Sinful is one of my favs.

Kim | 6 comments Lorraine Heath's newest one. Notorious pleasure or something with Notorious in it.

Kristina  (volcanicpunk) | 2 comments His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2) by Anne Gracie by Anne Gracie

Debbie (halfpint66) | 147 comments Me too!

Mary wrote: "Catherine Anderson is an auto buy for me."

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Comanche Heart (Comanche, #2) by Catherine Anderson also by Catherine Anderson.

message 27: by Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* (last edited Aug 20, 2011 06:18AM) (new)

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Kim-wilts-for-kilts wrote: "Lorraine Heath's newest one. Notorious pleasure or something with Notorious in it."

The book is Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman (London's Greatest Lovers, #2) by Lorraine Heath and other books I can think of are Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3) by Lorraine Heath also by Lorraine Heath and Enchanted (Medieval, #3) by Elizabeth Lowell by Elizabeth Lowell

Aroma with Love  | 49 comments Im reading The Lawman's Bride (Harlequin Historical Series) by Cheryl St.John and it has what you are looking for, also book one of the same series

Samantha | 48 comments I just finished Annie's Song and it was excellent. I was a sobbing mess by the end of the book.

message 30: by namericanwordcat (last edited Aug 21, 2011 11:02AM) (new)

namericanwordcat | 213 comments The McCarty books are good but not very realistic about PTSD but what the heck they are still good.

The hero is raped in Fallen from Grace. It is a wonderful read. But a modern book.

Monica (casp622) | 7 comments I just finished reading Annie's song and that book was just so beautiful... I was either crying or teary eyed through so much of the book... I really recommend this book to you, you will definitely like it...

Zumbagirl | 147 comments Sandra BrownSunset Embrace
The hero in this book annoyed me for a long time, but by the end, I liked him (I think). It's been a while since I read it. The heroine was good tho

message 33: by Rebecca (last edited Apr 21, 2013 09:52AM) (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaJ1973) | 2 comments A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon is a good one (though her books are not always classified as romances). The husband (hero) rescues the heroine a few hours after she is raped. He avenges her but then is there for her with love, care, and unique understanding of what she is going through.
Tender Torment The heroine was raped by someone who wanted to force her into marriage. The hero does not save her or comfort her because he doesn't meet her until later in the story (and he's a jerk when he finds out she is not a virgin -- cad!). I do not recommend this book because the heroine is so wimpy and whiny and would have to be an idiot to land in all the situations she manages to find herself in (I had a hard time finishing it).

My first thought when I read your request was Devil's Embrace by Catherine Coulter (the hero is wonderful to her after she is gang raped, but, being a classic bodice ripper, the hero did rape her himself the first time).

Stormfireby Christine Monson the heroine is raped by her husband (who is not the hero of the book). She is also raped by the hero, though, so I am not sure if that would fit what you are seeking. I do warn, however, that while I personally love Stormfire, it is a dark bodice ripper touching on some sensitive subjects (rape, incest,torture, etc.). Like many bodice rippers, the hero starts out as a jerk easy to hate, but then comes around. He doesn't really help her after her rape (he is furious that she married his brother), but he is wonderful later when she goes into an almost comatose state from depression after a miscarriage.

There is another one I am trying to find the name of NOW, actually (which lead me to this thread!) where the heroine is mistaken for a high-priced mistress in 1800's San Francisco, kidnapped by a couple of ruffians, and forced to prostitute all night until her husband (the hero) saves her the next day. I remember he was great to her afterwards as well. I was TOLD the book is called Love's Promised Land by Diana Haviland, but I have not re-read it as yet to confirm (I DID have it marked as read, though, so it is possible that the person who made the suggestion is correct - I shall see as I am about to read it again).

Great topic, btw. I love books with heroes that love and comfort their heroines when they are attacked rather than blame the poor girl for it.

Also, ty to Pamela (all honey) for the list you gave! I'm going to check some of those books out.

Regan Walker (RegansRomance) | 111 comments Innocent Fire by Brenda Joyce Innocent Fire (Bragg Saga, #1) by Brenda Joyce

Ruby (Rube) | 27 comments Worth Any Price The heroine was molested.
The Duke The heroine was raped.
To Love a Dark Lord A secondary character was molested.
Annie's Song The heroine was raped.
Comanche Heart The heroine was raped
Heartless I barely remember this book, but I think there was something about that in there.

This list may prove useful too
http://www.goodreads.com/list/user_vo...

message 36: by Jo (new)

Jo Beverley (jobeverley) | 134 comments I have a question, and I assure you there's no snark involved. Why do stories that involve rape appeal?

I was at a writers' lunch last week, and four of us had rape as an element in the book we were talking about. (Mine was An Arranged Marriage, on the list above, which was actually the first book I wrote, which may or may not be relevant.)

Is it something to do with deep fears? Does it make the hero particularly heroic? Can it be used to make a strong heroine weaker? I don't like the idea of that.

Reading the posts here raised these questions in me. I don't have any suggestions, except that I think I remember the wonderful Roberta Gellis once saying that only one of her heroines had been raped and she'd killed the violator. Anyone remember what book that was?

Jo

message 37: by Rebecca (last edited Apr 21, 2013 10:14AM) (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaJ1973) | 2 comments Jo, I have several different reasons for enjoying books where the heroine survives a rape.

The first being, I like to see how the characters deal with it. Whether they go into a deep depression, fight like a person possessed, get revenge, whatever, I just like to read how they and the people in their lives deal with it. Personally, I prefer the ones where the husband (or hero if unmarried) is there to care for and tend her, showing her that she is still worthy of his love even after she is attacked (no matter by how many)...especially in those few books where she ends up pregnant afterward (it adds so much more to the drama of the story - especially in historicals where there was no DNA test to reveal paternity - for example Drums of Autumn).

I shouldn't even just speak of the women being the victims in books. I know in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander it is the hero who is raped (though, in subsequent books, both his daughter and then his wife are also victims). Again, I found it fascinating to read how the sexual assault affected a man versus a woman. Then later, how he was able to use his own experiences to help his daughter and then his wife through their own experiences and how their experiences helped him deal with his.

The second reason being, I believe it is more true to the time periods in historical romances. Women were raped fairly easily, especially if left without the protection of a related male and usually blamed for the attack. The men rarely felt guilty about it seeing it as might makes right. With the belief being that any woman who had sex, willingly or no, with someone other than her husband was "used goods" or "ruined" it makes the hero all the more heroic when he still loves his woman afterward. Often enough in romance novels the heroine suffers a close call, but, in life, it rarely works out that way. Usually, there is no one to rescue a woman at the last minute...just wonderful people who are there for you afterwards to help you pick up the pieces and put your life back together. Even in modern society, I believe the statistic is 1 in 5 women (in the US) will suffer sexual assault at some point in her lifetime. I admire authors who admit to this reality and write it into a great story, showing rape is something that CAN be survived!

I don't say I speak for all as I am sure the subject appeals to different people for different reasons (the same being true for those who dislike the subject). For me, I was a victim when I was too little to understand and too scared to tell, so, when I read the stories now, I find comfort in the comfort these characters receive.

I hope that helped a bit. As I mentioned, I am sure there are many different reasons for people to like or to dislike the subject matter. I'd love to hear some.

~Rebecca

OH! One last thing, NO, I absolutely do NOT believe a rape makes a strong heroine weaker. While she may weaken a bit (both physically and emotionally) in the immediate aftermath of an attack, I think it makes her stronger in the end to have endured and survived. What is the expression? ... That which does not kill us makes us stronger!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Haven by Carolyn Davidson (bad marriage)
Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady by Louise Allen
Montana Bride by Jillan Hart
Convenient Wife by Carolyn Davidson
Undeniable Rogue by Annette Blair
Keegan's Lady by Catherine Anderson

message 39: by Sarah (last edited Dec 05, 2013 11:26AM) (new)

Sarah (saritz) | 11 comments In The Tender Texan, the heroine was raped by her late first husband (they were supposed to be married by name only to cover-up the affair between her mother and her husband). It turned her bitter and afraid toward any kind of physical intimacies and it was only around the end of the book where she finally overcame her fear (with a lot of help and encouragement from the hero of course)

Nicole | 78 comments This is my favorite theme to read in romance. Here is a link to my shelf entitled "Heroine raped":

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Nicole

message 41: by Candice (last edited Sep 08, 2014 08:23AM) (new)

Candice | 3 comments Hi I'm looking for a book I read once I believe it was a regency novel about a woman who was raped when she was a child but it was so traumatic she doesn't remember it. Her father is very religious and he regards her as ruined and says that she's a harlot. He arranges a marriage for her, and her husband eventually frustrated with her not wanting to share his bed, devises this elaborate plan to abduct her and seduce her in disguise. But it backfires because it triggers her memories of the rape and now she thinks of herself as a 'whore'. The husband, also thinks that because when he had sex with her he realised she wasn't a virgin. And so now he thinks she was lying to him all this time. Only when her brother comes back from military training does he tell the husband about her past.

Does this book sound familiar to anyone?

Samantha | 48 comments I don't know but it sounds good.

message 43: by JennyG (last edited Sep 08, 2014 08:57AM) (new)

JennyG | 80 comments Candice wrote: "Hi I'm looking for a book I read once I believe it was a regency novel about a woman who was raped when she was a child but it was so traumatic she doesn't remember it. Her father is very religious..."

That sounds exactly like The Rebel Bride by Catherine Coulter. Everything fits except the brother part, that is I don't remember the part about the brother.

KatieV | 3 comments Candice wrote: "Hi I'm looking for a book I read once I believe it was a regency novel about a woman who was raped when she was a child but it was so traumatic she doesn't remember it. Her father is very religious..."

I agree with Jenny, this sounds exactly like Coulter's The Rebel Bride although I don't recall the brother either. Then again, it's been a while. I do remember the father being a religious nut case POS who considered his little girl a whore because she was raped.

Milli Ng | 2 comments I recently read "Lady of Fire" by Anita Mills where the heroine was raped.

Spoiler Alert! - Didn't think much of the book personally as the heroine lied to her husband about what happened while she was held captive (to spare his feelings, or some such nonsense)!

Books that I did enjoy despite the rape scenes are "The Duke" by Gaelen Foley
"The Fire Inside" by Kat Martin
"The Raven and the Rose" by Virginia Henley

Candice | 3 comments JennyG wrote: "Candice wrote: "Hi I'm looking for a book I read once I believe it was a regency novel about a woman who was raped when she was a child but it was so traumatic she doesn't remember it. Her father i..."

Thank you so much! This is it!

Candice | 3 comments KatieV wrote: "Candice wrote: "Hi I'm looking for a book I read once I believe it was a regency novel about a woman who was raped when she was a child but it was so traumatic she doesn't remember it. Her father i..."

Thanks so much :)

Maleka | 3 comments I read The Rebel Bride. I had a lot of prob with heroine according to me she was annoying. Don't condone the rape by H but still I wanted to shake the heroine a few times myself

B.D. Hawkey | 63 comments Rebecca wrote: "Women were raped fairly easily, especially if left without the protection of a related male and usually blamed for the attack. The men rarely felt guilty about it seeing it as might makes right. With the belief being that any woman who had sex, willingly or no, with someone other than her husband was "used goods" or "ruined" it makes the hero all the more heroic when he still loves his woman afterward. Often enough in romance novels the heroine suffers a close call, but, in life, it rarely works out that way. Usually, there is no one to rescue a woman at the last minute...just wonderful people who are there for you afterwards to help you pick up the pieces and put your life back together...."

I hope readers wont take this as self promotion as I am the author, but it does involve what you said in your post.Old Sins Long Shadows

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Duke (other topics)
Annie's Song (other topics)
For Her Pleasure (other topics)
Seductive Secrets (other topics)
Devil's Embrace (other topics)
More...