ModCloth's Shelf Life discussion

Past Contests > What's your favorite word - and why?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 92) (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ModCloth (new)

ModCloth | 49 comments Mod
In honor of our new ModWord of the Week feature, we want to know - what's your favorite word and why?*

Tell us what your favorite word is by August 25th, and you'll be entered to win September's book of the month!

*Please try to keep it relatively clean :-)

message 2: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 1 comments My favorite word is "moist".

It's very complicated to explain why I like this word. For starters I like the way that it sounds. If you say it really slowly I am sure that you'll see how it is really much more interesting a word than you may have originally thought. Then there is how I never really quite understood the meaning. When is something damp, or moist, or wet? There is no definitive point.

All in all. Moist is a word that keeps my guessing and thinking, and is therefore my favorite, even if my reasoning is a little odd.

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Turner (candc320) My favorite word, by far, is "besotted". It just rolls off the tongue so pleasantly and has such a romantic meaning that I just can't help myself :).

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Lily154) | 5 comments Bamboozle because of its inherent alliteration and because it always makes me think of a mobster out of a 1930s movie!

message 5: by April (new)

April | 2 comments My favorite word is "swoon". It is not a common word that we use anymore, but I like it's meaning and how it makes one feel when we are in love. I have a friend who speaks Serbian and she just thinks this English word is great, and in the last month I have adopted it as my new favorite!!

message 6: by Lauralynn (new)

Lauralynn Mangis (MrsMangis) My favorite word is "flabbergasted". It's so much fun to say! I really want to find out who started this word and how it came about. I think it would be interesting :)

message 7: by Neverdust (last edited Aug 06, 2010 10:47AM) (new)

Neverdust | 9 comments Debauchery: because it sounds wicked. I've been in love with this word since I first learned it in fifth grade.

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 9 comments I've always loved the word "discombobulated". I think the way it sounds and looks is just so descriptive of its meaning. Just saying the word makes you feel a bit, well, discombobulated...

message 9: by Randi (new)

Randi (randiwilkins) | 5 comments haberdashery - Because there is no other word in the world like it! <3

message 10: by nina (new)

nina (ninabb) | 2 comments Toast. A delicious item you have for breakfast; a nerve-wracking speech before a communal sip of champagne; what you do to your frozen chicken nuggets; with -y, the way you feel wrapped in a blanket and with a cup of hot chocolate...

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiedid0587) | 3 comments Serendipity. It's just one of those words that sounds pretty, and who doesn't love the idea of happy accidents or unexpected circumstances that change our lives for the better?

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessk) | 2 comments This may sound strange, but mine is a nonexistent word:

Cadine - it sounds like it should be a word, but a quick search shows that it clearly isn't, in English at least.

It's a name, but the word I am imagining is not. And for some reason I liken it to chains. I think that must be Spanish sneaking in: cadena. Her cadine beauty all the more vibrant for its fixity. Would it mean caught or stubborn? Would it be helpless or hard-headed?

And it's a place in Italy; its inhabitants are called Cadeni. The chained (although it's catena for chain in Italian).

And then there's cadence. Cadenzare - to give rhythm to.

Katena, according to a baby name database, means pure in Greek. Chained and pure are not altogether dissimilar. Unsurprisingly, the closest for a boy's name Caden means battle (also round, lumpish, and cask). Oh, gender.

message 13: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (birthdaycake) juxtaposed, because i like how it looks and sounds in sentences.

message 14: by Molly (new)

Molly Miltenberger (mollymiltmurray) | 3 comments Debonair. It speaks for itself.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyclaire523) | 1 comments shenanigans - how can you NOT love this word? It just makes me smile.

message 16: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (ohnoitszo) | 1 comments phantasmagoria. The meaning of the word is awesome, plus it just sounds cool to say. Not to mention it makes you sound brilliant using it in a book discussion =]

message 17: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 11 comments Exuberant - just makes you feel good and energized just saying it.

message 18: by Becca (last edited Aug 06, 2010 12:30PM) (new)

Becca (enroutetocamelot) | 3 comments To be honest, I've never really given much thought to my favourite word. But if I had to choose one, I'd have to go with ceremony. It's a soft sounding word, with just a hint of insistence; its purpose is not shadowed by its beauty, or vice versa. To me, it is a word whose sound is well-matched to its meaning.

message 19: by Guen (new)

Guen | 6 comments One of my favorite words is "epiphany." Not only does it sound unique, it always seems to show up in my writing, and moreover, I first learned it as a young child from Married with Children. :)

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (justicepirate) It is going to sound very weird, but my favourite word has been "poop" for the longest time. It is just fun to say. I don't use profanity at all so I say "poop" and "poopschka" and "poopi-doopi". . .yeah I said it would sound weird. Everyone else has beautiful meaningful words.

message 21: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssarcastic) I love (almost) all words, but I'd have to say my favorite is luminous. It sounds as beautiful as what it describes.

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee | 5 comments DIY (do it yourself) - i love crafty projects. it invokes curiosity, i wonder what that person has made. i love websites like etsy, i would rather spend a little more and get something someone has put there heart into making than a mass produced product. DIY - fun, crafty, inspiring, entertaining, useful.

message 23: by Kortney (new)

Kortney | 2 comments my favorite word is "bowyang" because it sounds like booyaa and dang at the same time especially if you say it funny..the word just makes my day.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

eleutheria

for no real reason other than I like the way it sounds and i like saying it.

message 25: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Carl (lindsaymishele) | 2 comments My favorite word has to be "gravid". It means pregnant, but it can also mean heavy or burdened. It just seems like such an amazing word, especially given the combination of definitions.

message 26: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 1 comments My favorite word is "yum": it makes my mouth water. And I hear in my head the last part of that old Life Savers commercial. So full of life.. savers.. yummmm!

message 27: by Babs (new)

Babs (dflybabs) quixotic... love a good Q word and it means puzzling and enigmatic, very cool...

message 28: by Rayna (new)

Rayna  (Poindextrix) (Poindextrix) | 6 comments I feel as though many of my favorite words have been mentioned already.
One that hasn't been mentioned: hooligan. I don't have a very good reason, I just like it...

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Kilmer (LauRama) | 4 comments My favorite word comes from my favorite movie. Recidivism: Repeated or habitual relapse, as into crime.
Example (From Raising Arizona): They've got a name for people like you H.I. That name is called "recidivism".

message 30: by Shannon (last edited Aug 06, 2010 05:16PM) (new)

Shannon (IandSsmom) | 5 comments I asked my children what they thought my favorite word would be and for once they were united that it was definitely- quiet!
I was going to try and come up with something more clever but I would have to say without a doubt my favorite word is chocolate. What's not to love -white chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate- all wonderful and so yummy. Ok maybe it also my favorite thing but most certainly my favorite word. Just makes me smile to hear it.

message 31: by Renée (new)

Renée (renee888) My favourite word is probably AMALGAMATION. It just sounds wonderfully mysterious and complex.

message 32: by Sara (last edited Aug 06, 2010 08:35PM) (new)

Sara (sarasmiles) | 1 comments This is a very difficult question...but I would have to say my favorite word is "AMAZING" I find myself using this word quite frequently, whether it be "Have an AMAZING day" or "Wow! That is AMAZING" So I guess I would have to say that "AMAZING" is my most overused word...therefore my favorite word (even if I don't realize JUST how much I use it!)

message 33: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Harper (meharper) Becca wrote: "To be honest, I've never really given much thought to my favourite word. But if I had to choose one, I'd have to go with ceremony. It's a soft sounding word, with just a hint of insistence; its pur..."

What a lovely description!

message 34: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Harper (meharper) Katie wrote: "Serendipity. It's just one of those words that sounds pretty, and who doesn't love the idea of happy accidents or unexpected circumstances that change our lives for the better?"

I agree! I love positive messages and circumstances that affect change.

message 35: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie Whitesides (kenziejo) | 3 comments I have a lot of favorite words, ones that I like to use over and over. However, I think superb is my favorite. The reason why is partially because it is a lot of fun to say; it makes me smile right upon exiting my mouth. I also don't hear it said very often. So it feels more interesting to me than saying "cool."

message 36: by rhea (new)

rhea (zeldamac) | 11 comments My favorite word is: discombobulated. I remember learning this word when I was younger and just thinking it was the coolest word I had ever heard!

message 37: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (CharlotteslittleWeb) | 1 comments My word would be comfortable. Not only because the simple forming of the word leaves you with a pillow-like tongue but because it equally soothes and scares me. I believe that it is both consciously & subconsciously what we all seek in our day-to-day lives. Comfort in our home, in our work, in the arms of another and, most importantly, in ourselves. The word is beautiful because it is filled with its opposte: struggle. And on the days we can honestly say we feel this word are the most seeked and victorious of times.

message 38: by Galen (new)

Galen (galenrcrawley) | 2 comments Hooligan, definitely. Hilarious that such a silly word is supposed to be an insult.

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1 comments My favorite word is nonsensical. I just love that word because it reminds me that I can become all stressed and concerned with life, but in the end, a lot of the little things I worry about are totally nonsensical. It just seems like a fun word--one filled with whimsy and not taking things quite so seriously.

If the question were what was your favorite phrase, I would absolutely say, "cellar door." Not just because of Donnie Darko (which is a fantastic movie, no doubt) but because if you really think about it, the phrase just rolls off your tongue. It almost sounds like a different language. French, maybe. :)

message 40: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 1 comments My favorite word is fez, because when we were little my brother thought that he made it up during a game of Scrabble with my uncle.

message 41: by Nikki (new)

Nikki My favorite word is Minnewawa. I'm not sure which language it's from (it is some sort of Native American language) anyhow it was a name of a street in my hometown. I always loved says it (minnie-wawa) it's a fun word that makes me smile and think of home. I think it means, -a pleaseant sound, like wind in the trees--i loooove the meaning of it as well. all around wonderfull word. my favorite.

message 42: by Jinny (new)

Jinny (jss617) I think my favorite word has to be: Sublime. It makes me think of first love and snow in the dark. It smells like wet grass and it sounds like running in the rain. It tastes like strawberries when when I say it. It feels sublime. :)

message 43: by Annie (new)

Annie (lastnightswritings) My favorite word is Christopher. It's not an adjective, or a word in the sense of how modcloth asks but to me, it's my favorite word. When I was 13, I fell in love with the idea of a boy, the person just for me. Who I thought I would never meet, because really, what type of guy has such a passion for reading that he writes, and doesn't care what anyone thinks. When I was 15, I fell in love with the idea in form of a person. He was real and his name was Christopher. When I was 17, I met him. I love him as a person and the idea of him, but there is no love story beyond that. Just friendship but I'm 23 now and I need to respond back to his letter, we've been writing for 7 years now. Christopher will always be my favorite word, just because it gives me hope.

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan (MegansMonster) | 1 comments Archaic. I love it simply because it sounds like its definition. Perhaps because the "chaic" reminds me of the word chaotic, but "Archaic" sounds wild and rugged; lost to a world long ago. Yet, it can describe the most classic of antiques. It's beautiful.

message 45: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1 comments FLOPPY is my favorite word, it can be used to describe so many things, but usually I am talking about baby animals and puppies so this word tends to fill up my daily conversations! Plus it has the benefit of always coming out of my mouth with a smile!

message 46: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 3 comments Etymology. I love trying to work it into otherwise normal conversations.

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan (Meganjoyv) Effervescent is my favorite word. It looks and sounds magical, with a meaning to match!

message 48: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 1 comments Serendipitous has been my favorite word since I was 13 and still is to this day. It is one of those words that sounds like what it means and feels good to say in your mouth, it just flows. Though "bubble" is a close second cause its fun to say and feels good in your mouth too.

message 49: by Ronna (new)

Ronna (ronnamichelle) | 2 comments My favorite word would have to be facetious. I find myself using it all the time. "oh, i'm just being facetious." Its a word with a little bit of "smart" and a little bit of "aleck." And I love smart. Facetious fun to say and its fun to be. Not only that, but its a ridiculous spelling. I also just found out I love typing it too: facetious, FACETIOUS, fAcEtIoUs. Dont you just love being facetious?"

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilypirateface) | 1 comments I'd say my favorite word is 'saudade'. It is a portuguese word that describes a feeling of nostalgic longing. It is also described as meaning "the love that remains". I find it amazing that a single word can sum up so much.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread