Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Bookmarks Best Books By Year > Bookmarks Best Books 2009

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Aug 07, 2010 01:25PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments The Nov/Dec issue of Bookmarks contains the "Best Books 2009" list. This list is chosen by the staff of Bookmarks as their favorites among the books reviewed. What have you read from the list? Do you also rate these books among your favorites for the year? Which ones are on your TBR?

Bookmarks Best Books of 2009:

Deaf Sentence by David Lodge A Mercy by Toni Morrison Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan American Savior  A Novel of Divine Politics by Roland Merullo Lark and Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry The Vagrants by Yiyun Li Little Bee by Chris Cleave The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa The Family Man by Elinor Lipman The Cradle  A Novel by Patrick Somerville The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters The Missing by Tim Gautreaux Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead 2666 by Roberto Bolaño Commencement  by J. Courtney Sullivan Exiles in the Garden by Ward S. Just Far Bright Star by Robert Olmstead Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11) by John Harvey Eclipse by Richard North Patterson Fatal Lies (Liebermann Papers, #3) by Frank Tallis The Rules of the Game  A novel by Leonard Downie Jr. The Scarecrow (Jack McEvoy, #2) by Michael Connelly The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry The Last Child by John Hart Road Dogs by Elmore Leonard The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman Daemon by Daniel Suarez Eon  Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman Cyberabad Days (Paperback) by Ian McDonald Julian Comstock  A Story of 22nd-Century America by Robert Charles Wilson The Magician's Book  A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia by Laura Miller Columbine by Dave Cullen American Lion  Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham A Journal for Jordan  Hopes, Prayers, and Life Lessons from a Fallen Soldier and the Woman He Loved for the Son He Left Behind by Dana Canedy Somewhere Towards the End  A Memoir by Diana Athill A. Lincoln  A Biography by Ronald C. White Jr. With Wings Like Eagles  A History of the Battle of Britain by Michael Korda The Third Reich at War, 1939-1945 by Richard J. Evans The Lost City of Z  A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann The Age of Wonder  How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science by Richard Holmes

LynnB | 1416 comments Of this list, I have only read Lark and Termite, which I liked very much. I have The Little Stranger and The Housekeeper and the Professor on my TBR list. I can't believe that's all, but it is. I'm going to have to go back and check out the reviews on all of these and see which ones I want to add!

Betsy (ebburtis) | 599 comments Thanks to our monthly selections I've read Cutting for Stone and Little Stranger, both of which I loved; I've also read Songs for the Missing, which I wasn't that thrilled with, Little Bee, which I loved, and I do have many more of them on my TBR list.

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Some of my favorites which I gave 4 & 5 stars were Cutting For Stone, The Little Stranger, The Scarecrow and A Journal For Jordan. I also read The Graveyard Book, which I liked but was not overly crazy over. I also was not as impressed as others with A Mercy.

There are still many more on the list I want to read. Sacred Hearts is probably at the top of the list. I'm also anxious to read American Savior, Songs of the Missing, Lark and Termite, Little Bee, The Secret Scripture, Columbine, The Housekeeper and the Professor, and The Sea of Poppies.

message 5: by Quiltgranny (last edited Dec 13, 2009 08:44AM) (new)

Quiltgranny Well, it seems I've read a lot of these (small wonder since most of my reading list comes from Bookmarks), and a lot more on my TBR list!

Cutting for Stone, the Little Stranger, Sacred Hearts, The Scarecrow all topped my list with 4 & 5 stars. Still on my wish list are A mercy, Songs of the Missing, Lark & Termite, The Piano Teacher, Little Bee, The Thing Around Your Neck, The Housekeeper and the Professor and Somewhere Towards the End. In my stash waiting to be read is Sea of Poppies (along with about 100 others!)

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing to keep reading Bookmarks and find so many other books that go onto my list, AND that I read comments here about books that also go onto the list. LOL!!!

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Quiltgranny, you've undergone quite a transformation! I like your new avatar. Is that your dog?

Quiltgranny Lisa wrote: "Quiltgranny, you've undergone quite a transformation! I like your new avatar. Is that your dog?"

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? (Good dog, bad dog?) LOL! Yes, this is Mayo, our fairly new puppy since July - she's a Cavashon that stole our hearts when we least expected it!

Becky (BeckyMurr) | 617 comments I have only read 2 of them, A Mercy
A Mercy by Toni Morrison & Let the Great World Spin Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

I did not care for A Mercy & I liked Great World very much...

I do have several others from the list on my "to-read" list...

Barbara (babyruth) | 9 comments Of these I'm currently reading and really enjoying Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

I tried to read A Mercy by Toni Morrison but I just couldn't get into.

I have read
The Family Man by Elinor Lipman

which was enjoyable but I didn't really think it was one of the best books of the year. There are some others that I think should of made the list:

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo The Help by Kathryn Stockett Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Leeis at the top of my rather large to read pile.

Erin | 3 comments Little Bee was definitely one of my favorite reads... many of these are on TBR-- I agree with Barbara, enjoyed the Help

Stephanie I can't believe that from this list, I have only read
The Little Stranger. Shame on me! Time to put some more books on hold!

Kate (KateKSH) | 134 comments I've only read American Savior (a huge fave) The Little Stranger and The Graveyard Book! I own quite a TBR, though -- The Last Child, Cutting for Stone, Let the Great World Spin and A Mercy are all next to the bed!

Stephanie I am working my way through the Bookmarks list and will be posting updates on my personal website. I am currently reading Lark and Termite and Exiles in the Garden. I recently checked Far Bright Star and Let the Great World Spin out from the library. More to come!

Amy | 18 comments I think I've read about 5 of these. Off to check out the rest & get some of them read. Little Bee is the one I'm most looking forward to reading ... off to put it on hold at the library!

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I just scored a HB copy of The Lost City of Z  A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann at the Goodwill for about $2.25. Yippee!

Stephanie I pulled up this thread tonight to see if I have read any more from the "Best Of" list...and I have. This week, in fact, I started and finished The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee. I upgraded its 3.5 star status to 4. I really liked it, but not as much as I wanted to.

I also read The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa - 5 stars

Little Bee by Chris Cleave - 5 stars

I started and could not get into Lark and Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips and Deaf Sentence by David Lodge.

I am on hold for Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese...it is amazing how popular this book is still...there are many people in front of me. I hope it doesn't disappoint, as this is another title that I have been SO EXCITED to read.

Laurie (LaurieLH) | 92 comments Stephanie wrote: "I pulled up this thread tonight to see if I have read any more from the "Best Of" list...and I have. This week, in fact, I started and finished The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee. I upgraded its..."

I just finished The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa and loved it also -- http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31... :)

Dlmrose | 2 comments I've been working my way through this list and have made a good dent- 17 so far. They have all been very satisfying. I wasn't crazy about Lark and Termite at first, but it has really stayed with me. I may have to increase my rating.

message 19: by Lisa (last edited Aug 07, 2010 01:29PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Wow Dlmrose! I'm impressed! I need to get cracking. I've only read 8, but I own a few more that I need to get started on.

Stephanie Pretty soon, we're going to have the best of 2010 out there and THEN what are we going to do?!?!?

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Yikes! How did time pass so quickly?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

With Wings Like Eagles (other topics)
A Journal for Jordan (other topics)
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (other topics)
Far Bright Star (other topics)
Exiles in the Garden (other topics)
More...