The Sword and Laser discussion

Bridge of Birds > Reading by Julie Davis of Bridge of Birds.

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Adrian (last edited Feb 01, 2013 03:24PM) (new)

Adrian Pienaru (adi_pie) | 124 comments Thank you very much, Lepton.
From what little I've listened to, the narration is pretty good, plus it's free which is always a bonus.

Laurențiu Roman | 8 comments My surname is Roman and my personal name is Laur and there is a slight flaw in my character. :) I'm not that big a fan of ebooks, at least not until i'll get a tablet or some reader of sorts. I won't ever read them on a phone (unless it's a Galaxy Note) or on the PC. So i wanted to get the Audiobook version, as i almost always want to but i couldn't find it. So i resolved to search for the physical book and i couldn't find it and i started to listen to that reading. About 1/4 of the way through the book i finally found the entire three book series. By that time i was absolutely sure i wanted to read the entire series but it takes at least a week to be shipped in my part of the world. I've ordered them but it seems i'll be done listening to the first book before my package arrives.

Anyway, that blog has a posting with the links to all the chapters in order:

http://hcforgottenclassics.blogspot.c...

It's really funny sometimes to hear a southern woman trying to speak chinese words or english with a chinese accent.

David | 2 comments I am actually really enjoying the audio book. I've listened to the first 6 chapters so far and it's just starting to get really good. I don't know if Julie is a professional book reader but regardless I think she does an admirable job with the story, differentiating characters and using appropriate emphasis.

Lorie (LorieChristoffel) | 59 comments Thanks for linking this podcast. I am finding more things with her recommendations as well as enjoying her reading of the book!

Mike | 12 comments Thanks for linking to this, it's a great narration so far!

Ruth (till-tab) | 1025 comments Anyone having trouble downloading the podcast? Maybe the site is just overly busy, but I can't seem to get them at the moment. I'll try again later.

message 8: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2416 comments Mod
It was really slow when I downloaded from there a month ago. I can only imagine how slow it might be now that it's the club pick.

We have over 15,000 members, and while I'm sure most people haven't downloaded it, I'm sure their traffic has still spiked as a result.

James | 17 comments She has done a great job! I'm closing in on the end of the book and I most say she did such a good job I'm going to check out some of the other stuff she is doing. And man does Barry Hughart tell a great story!

Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir (Grafarholt) | 5 comments I just finished the third part, chapters 7-9. I'm really enjoying the story and Julie does a great job of reading it.

message 11: by Nathan (last edited Feb 05, 2013 08:14AM) (new)

Nathan (Tenebrous) | 263 comments Nice narration, but she really butchers the Chinese, which I guess only someone like me would notice.

It is like hearing a part of a nice song, then half a second of fingernails on a chalkboard, repeated over and over.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that she is doing this for free. I am just trying to describe my own unfortunate experience.

Pamela D (FunIsReading) | 42 comments I emailed Julie the other day and thanked her for getting permission to read the book and broadcasting it out for the entire Internet to hear. If you have a chance, I would encourage you to email her and thank her. She appreciated the thank you.

Tamahome | 4326 comments She is also on Goodreads, and watching...every...word...you...say.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1770 comments Yay Julie! I listened to her do a few short stories too - she has a great storytelling voice. I also listen to her podcast.

message 15: by Tamahome (last edited Feb 10, 2013 06:55AM) (new)

Tamahome | 4326 comments Julie also has a podcast called A Good Story is Hard to Find with Scott from Sffaudio. They talk about movies and books with a religious angle. Often the media is genre. Sometimes my name is mentioned.

http://agoodstoryishardtofind.blogspo...

Ruth (till-tab) | 1025 comments I did eventually manage the download. Yay!

I really appreciate Julie's enthusiasm when reading, but I do find her accents when doing voices rather grating, and it distracts me from the story - I'd have preferred all the characters to simply sound American, since that would be more natural, but maybe Julie's reading reflects the way it was written? Still, it's free, and has clearly been read with love, and you can't complain about that. So if you are reading, thank you, Julie.

unread topics | mark unread