The Sword and Laser discussion

The Dirty Streets of Heaven > Ghallu..have I seen this moster before?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Redrosevertigo0 | 23 comments So does anyone else thinking Tad Williams was channeling the Balrog from The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien when he thought up the ghallu?

message 2: by George (new)

George Corley (gacorley) | 62 comments It dimly crossed my mind. Certainly it has a lot of similarities -- shadow and fire which turns to something slick when exposed to water. I think that the ghallu is a lot more *physical* than the Balrog in its normal state.

message 3: by Dara (new)

Dara (hd2185) | 1117 comments I pictured it as a scaled down balrog the whole time.

message 4: by Andrew (last edited Nov 23, 2012 12:45AM) (new)

Andrew | 1 comments I'm not totally sure he did invent it:

In Sumerian and Akkadian (Babylonian and Assyrian) mythology, The Gallus (also called gallu demons or gallas) were great demons/devils of the underworld.

Gallu demons hauled unfortunate victims off to the underworld. They were one of seven devils (or "the offspring of hell") of Babylonian theology that could be appeased by the sacrifice of a lamb at their altars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallu

So when Williams/Bobby describes the creature as older than Abrahamist mythology it makes sense that he's actually talking about the Gallu from old mythology. I haven't looked into typical descriptions of Gallus, so he might have completely invented its characteristics, but the whole idea of it hauling victims to the underworld sounds about right.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Bailey (klbailey) | 82 comments Wow, I came here to post this exact thread, but you beat me to it! I totally pictured the Balrog the whole time.

Redrosevertigo0 | 23 comments Andrew wrote: "I'm not totally sure he did invent it:

In Sumerian and Akkadian (Babylonian and Assyrian) mythology, The Gallus (also called gallu demons or gallas) were great demons/devils of the underworld.
..."

I recognized the ghallu from other stuff I had read. I just thought William's description sounded like the Balrog. Maybe he is a LOTR fan?

message 7: by Emy (new)

Emy (EmyPT) | 98 comments Gallu/Ghallu is old myth stuff, so exactly the sort of thing Tolkien would have read too :)

message 8: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon Dez-la-lour (jd2607) | 166 comments I was picturing the unholy offspring of The Beast from season 4 of Angel and the Balrog from Lord of the Rings.

I'd be willing to bet that the fact that we're all settling on the Balrog as part of our mental reference is because both Williams and Tolkien were drawing inspiration from the same sources.

message 9: by Dara (new)

Dara (hd2185) | 1117 comments Jonathon wrote: "I was picturing the unholy offspring of The Beast from season 4 of Angel and the Balrog from Lord of the Rings.

I'd be willing to bet that the fact that we're all settling on the Balrog as part of..."

The Beast! I didn't even think of that until now but it fits so well.

message 10: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 380 comments I pictured something like the red bull from the last unicorn.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 641 comments But the real question is, does it have wings?

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (Calenmir) | 211 comments I thought of the blood beast in Terry Goodkind's Chainfire.

message 13: by J. Alberto (new)

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments I was thinking more of The Violator from Spawn actually, at least when he used that unhinging jaw of his. Before that, I was picturing the balrog without really noticing it.

message 14: by Dan (last edited Nov 30, 2012 09:53AM) (new)

Dan Polley (polleydan) | 22 comments I always thought about the Dahaka from the Prince of Persia games.

message 15: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 380 comments Dan wrote: "I always thought about the Dahaka from the Prince of Persia games."
ooh that's a good one.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fellowship of the Ring (other topics)