The Sword and Laser discussion

Neurotagging

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1635 comments I know some people like to complain that its 2012 and we still don't have jet packs and flying cars, but who cares when we live in a world with this -- a device that will monitor your moods and upload your current state of mind to a map, creating a record of what places make people happy or sad.

Oh, and it comes with a dog tail that will wag when you're happy. Because Japan.

Neil | 165 comments Having something scan my brain and broadcast my feelings seems a little much. If I wanted people to know how I was feeling I would just stop leaving ambivalent facebook updates and tell them.

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments I don't understand. I'm confused what exactly is it?

Ruth (till-tab) | 1020 comments Sean wrote: "Because Japan. "

Hahaha, love it! :D

Robert Collins | 67 comments Amusing idea, but I still prefer flying cars.

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1635 comments Thurman wrote: "I don't understand. I'm confused what exactly is it?"

This is from the same company that makes Neko Mimi -- artificial cat ears that move like real cat ears in response to your emotions. Only this time they made it a dog's tail.

And added the ability for the device to update social networks about your mood, complete with geotagging. Which is far more interesting than an artificial tail that indicates your emotions.

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments Sean wrote: "Thurman wrote: "I don't understand. I'm confused what exactly is it?"

This is from the same company that makes Neko Mimi -- artificial cat ears that move like real cat ears in response to your emo..."

Maybe i'm too old but you call that fun? :)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1635 comments Thurman wrote: "Maybe i'm too old but you call that fun? :) "

Apparently in certain parts of Japanese society, girls with cat ears going, "Meow, meow" is considered sexy.

terpkristin | 2650 comments Now if only they could use my brain patterns to read my moods and then make that change the color of my eyes or something, that way people at work would know they were walking into dangerous territory...

Neil | 165 comments Sean wrote: Apparently in certain parts of Japanese society, girls with cat ears going, "Meow, meow" is considered sexy."

In certain parts of society everywhere everything is considered sexy. People are weird.

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments Sean wrote: "Thurman wrote: "Maybe i'm too old but you call that fun? :) "

Apparently in certain parts of Japanese society, girls with cat ears going, "Meow, meow" is considered sexy."

Neil wrote:In certain parts of society everywhere everything is considered sexy. People are weird."

i think its insane but i also hate anime.

They might think we are weird in japan for not doing it. (I don't see how that is possible though :)

Kamil | 372 comments i don't wnat any emotion controlling device in my brain

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1635 comments Thurman wrote: "i think its insane but i also hate anime.

That's like saying, "I hate British TV shows" or "I hate music from New York". Anime isn't a genre, it's just the Japanese word for "animation." There's good and bad in a wide variety of genres beyond magical girls and mecha.

They might think we are weird in japan for not doing it. (I don't see how that is possible though :) "

Japan's a nation of 100 million people. I'm sure most of them think this is as weird as kids wearing horn rimmed glasses (which they don't need) and trucker caps and bragging about how nobody's heard of their favorite band.

message 14: by Tamahome (last edited Sep 22, 2012 02:04PM) (new)

Tamahome | 4311 comments Sean wrote: "Thurman wrote: "I don't understand. I'm confused what exactly is it?"

This is from the same company that makes Neko Mimi -- artificial cat ears that move like real cat ears in response to your emo..."

Those neuro sensing cat ears are cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1kLLn...

Rob (robzak) | 2354 comments They were selling them at Otakon and also at the JPop festival in San Francisco. Interesting to watch, but not worth the price if you ask me. They seemed pretty popular at Otakon though.

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments Sean wrote: "Thurman wrote: "i think its insane but i also hate anime.

That's like saying, "I hate British TV shows" or "I hate music from New York". Anime isn't a genre, it's just the Japanese word for "anima..."

ok i don't like anime or animation from japan. I have seen some of the anime and i just don't like it.

Ruth (till-tab) | 1020 comments Since I often say I love anime, feel free to say you hate it; it's just a generalisation, anyway. There are plenty of anime out there which I think are terrible. There will probably also be ones you would really like, but if you hate them as rule, it probably isn't worth the effort of finding them. We're all different after all. :)

For me, I saw a cute girl with happy wagging tail, squealed with delight and clapped my hands, and decided it might just be one of the cutest things I'd ever seen.

Oh, by the way, I don't know about sexy, but I was served by a cat-girl in a maid cafe in Tokyo last month. It was pricey, but she was utterly adorable. We played jenga together, and because my friend and I won, we got to have our photograph taken with her, which she decorated with little cake stickers for us. Oh, Japan!

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments I'm not trying to insult any one but do adult men think they are sexy too. If not who are they trying to be attracted too?

message 19: by Ruth (last edited Sep 23, 2012 11:55AM) (new)

Ruth (till-tab) | 1020 comments Hmmm, it's going for the cute angle, more than sexy, really, I think, although it can sometimes be sexy too; it depends on the way it done, I guess. I guess the sex angle comes from the point that such girls are generally attractive anyway, and they are showing off their playful, girly side, plus showing a willingness to dress up, which can sometimes be fun. It's just a little bit of silliness, really, or at least, that's how I see it. Others might have different views.

In other words, yes, some adult men will definitely find it sexy, but more people, guys and girls alike, will think its really cute.

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1214 comments Behind the looking cute aspect there's interesting technology at work. If the geo-tagging of 'happy' and 'unhappy' places became widespread that would certainly have a large impact on marketing. Would you go to the chain store where most people were 'unhappy', or the one a few miles away where everyone was 'happy'?

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 601 comments Somebody was wearing ears like this at Westercon a few months ago.

I'd like to see a more functional aspect of this. I don't care about the tail, but a personal map would be interesting.

This reminds me a lot of Feltron's annual report, where he maps out absolutely everything he does in a year. The number of ice creams eaten, times he's taken the subway, etc.

It's pretty awesome, I'd take a look: http://feltron.com/

Kristina | 335 comments terpkristin wrote: "Now if only they could use my brain patterns to read my moods and then make that change the color of my eyes or something, that way people at work would know they were walking into dangerous territ..."

That would be genius.

Tamahome | 4311 comments I think the tail has an 'angry' position.

Kamil | 372 comments Ruth wrote: "Hmmm, it's going for the cute angle, more than sexy, really, I think, although it can sometimes be sexy too; it depends on the way it done, I guess. I guess the sex angle comes from the point that ..."

I believe the term more appropriate would be " moe"

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments Kamil wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Hmmm, it's going for the cute angle, more than sexy, really, I think, although it can sometimes be sexy too; it depends on the way it done, I guess. I guess the sex angle comes from th..."

Kamil come on you can't just make up words lol. What does "Moe" mean :)

Kamil | 372 comments Thurman wrote: "Kamil wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Hmmm, it's going for the cute angle, more than sexy, really, I think, although it can sometimes be sexy too; it depends on the way it done, I guess. I guess the sex angle..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_%28s...

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments Kamil wrote: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_%28s..."

Cool I would never argue with wikipedia :)

Kamil | 372 comments Thurman wrote: "Kamil wrote: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_%28s..."

Cool I would never argue with wikipedia :)"

the term was used in plenty of manga and anime

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments I can see that now but I don't watch manga and anime.

Quick question though, does moe and terms like it apply to males? If not what does?

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1635 comments Here, let Haruhi Suzumiya explain moe to you.

Kamil wrote: "the term was used in plenty of manga and anime"

2chan even holds an annual contest to determine the most moe character in anime.

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1635 comments Thurman wrote: "Quick question though, does moe and terms like it apply to males? If not what does?"

Only if they're "traps" -- i.e., guys with feminine beauty so great that even straight guys get turned on by them, like Hideyoshi from Baka and Test:

(view spoiler)

Otherwise the term for hot guys is bishonen (pretty boy) or just bishie.

(view spoiler)

Ruth (till-tab) | 1020 comments Kamil wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Hmmm, it's going for the cute angle, more than sexy, really, I think, although it can sometimes be sexy too; it depends on the way it done, I guess. I guess the sex angle comes from th..."

Yes, that pretty much covers it. :D Thanks for putting a word (one I should have remembered) to my stumbling attempt to explain.

Tamahome | 4311 comments Sean wrote: "Thurman wrote: "Quick question though, does moe and terms like it apply to males? If not what does?"

Only if they're "traps" -- i.e., guys with feminine beauty so great that even straight guys get..."

Trap? Oh, is that what you call guys like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myXx0E...

Aeryn98 | 144 comments Great guitar playing.....that's a guy?!

Tamahome | 4311 comments I assume so since I can't see their face.

George | 3 comments Sean wrote:
Apparently in certain parts of Japanese society, girls with cat ears going, "Meow, meow" is considered sexy."

Count me as one and I'm not from Japan.

Kevin | 1 comments George wrote: "Sean wrote:

Count me as one and I'm not from Japan."

The U.S. seems to propagate that thought as well, and do it skillfully.

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1214 comments Judging by the number of neko avatars in Second Life (complete with twitching ears and tail) it's a worldwide phenomena.

unread topics | mark unread