Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit

Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,034 ratings  ·  139 reviews
Ernest is a rather large moose with a rather large problem. He is so big he can't fit inside his book! Luckily, Ernest is also a very determined moose, and he and his little chipmunk friend aren't going to give up easily.With some tape, odd bits of paper, and plenty of enthusiasm, the pair constructs an enormous gatefold page by themselves, and everything fits together in...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published September 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit

Kathryn
So cute! Earnest is an adorable moose, but he's also very big, and he doesn't fit in the book! He is also a determined moose, and doesn't give up. But, try as he might, the book is just too small. Fortunately, his little chipmunk friend has a very big idea... The ending is a treat that I'm sure children will enjoy. Adorable illustrations and some fun read-aloud words make this a winner.
Lisa Vegan
Sep 21, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young children, reading aloud
This is a delightful book. Ernest is so, so cute. This is a great story for teaching kids to “think outside the box” and mostly it’s just fun. It’s a perfect read aloud book; there is a fold out page at the end, and this is not a board book (at least my edition isn’t) so very young children should be supervised while this book is being read. Beginning readers will probably enjoy this book too. Great for animal lovers and book lovers both. I took one look at Earnest and fell in love. For me, the...more
Adele Last
This is a story about a very large Moose called Ernest. This moose has a mouse for a best friend and together they try to come up with a solution to solve Ernest’s problem of not fitting into his book. After trying a number of solutions, the mouse disappears and makes a surprise for Ernest. The last page of the book folds out into four pages and the Moose is standing tall in his page. He thanks his friend and smiles.
I like this story as it teaches children about the idea of feeling like you don...more
Tasha
Ernest has a problem, he doesn’t fit into the book! He tries to shuffle in forward, but that doesn’t work. He tries to squeeze in backward. Nope. He can get his middle to fit, but not his legs or head. Luckily, Ernest has a small friend with a big idea. It’s just going to take some tape and some paper. They work for a long time until… Well, you will just have to read it to find out how they manage to fit Ernest into his book. Children will respond to the visual puzzle of how to get Ernest to fit...more
Nisha Patel

Ernest is a large moose with a very big problem, he can not fit on the page! However with the help of his friend and determination he tries all sorts of ways to be able to fit into the book. Until at the end where his friend the chipmunk helps him realise that he did not have to change anything about himself to be able to fit in, the book adapted itself to fit Ernest. So the last page folds out into a bigger page and Ernest finally fits!

This is a wonderful and funny story to be read in KS1 with...more
Ashley Chance
‘Ernest’ is a book about an enormous moose who finds it hard to fit in-quite literally! He finds it so hard to even fit on to the pages of the book. Yet with a little determination and help from his marsupial friend they work closely together to find an alternative way of accommodating Moose.
The books only downfall is that it ends so soon. I really liked the illustrations which brought the challenging plan of trying to help Ernest fit in, right into the readers lap through an open flap book sty...more
Hollie Westmore
Catherine Rayner- Ernest.

This is a lovely story about two friends that could not be more different! The story is based on a small chipmunk and a very large moose! The moose is so large that he does not fit any where regardless of his best efforts. I love the words chosen in the text such as shimmy, shuffle, and shunt! This story may be useful to read to children whilst they are learning the phonemes ‘sh’.
I believe the story would be suitable to young children due to the large font, short text...more
Chloe Avery
Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit by Catherine Rayner.

This is a story about a moose named Ernest, who has a problem, he is very large and cannot find a way to fit into the book. Throughout the story the illustrations show different parts of Ernest’s body and different ways he tries to fit on to the page. However Ernest does not give up and with the help of his little friend a chipmunk they come up with a plan. The last page of this book is a fold out and shows how Earnest and his friend have fo...more
Maeve Harrison
“Ernest, the moose who doesn't fit” by Catherine Rayner is a nice book for early years children. Ernest is a large moose who cannot fit into the book so as we read the book we can only see parts of him. His small chipmunk friend is trying desperately to get him to fit into the book but to no avail. Just when they are about to give up, his little friend comes up with a great idea to fit him in the book which is to stick some pages together so we can finally see Ernest in all his glory. On the las...more
Laura O Driscoll
Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit, is a wonderfully illustrated book by Catherine Rayner. Literally, this normal sized picture book is about a Moose who is entirely too big to fit into it. Throughout the book, Ernest tries to squish, squash and shimmy into the pages, but to no avail. His unusual solution is to "tape" together spare scraps of "paper" to create a large gatefold page at the end, where Ernest triumphiantly squeezes his whole body in. Children will love this surprise pop-out page at...more
Cheryl in CC NV
I love 'meta' stories, in which the characters interact with the paper and ink, and/or author and reader. Think, for example, of Chester. This one is even simpler, more direct. There's really not much of a story at all; it's just an anecdote about how cooperation, persistence, and patient effort can solve a problem. I've never seen anything quite so original and creative before, and I'm grateful to Rayner for sharing her talents. I also shared it with my husband, and he got a kick out of it.
William O
I really enjoyed this picture book by Catherine Rayner. Ernest is too big to fit into the book even with the help of his little chipmunk friend he cannot fit. However there is a charming solution to the problem!!! The story gives the idea that there is a place for everyone and the importance of working together. It also captivates the child into the thinking of "How will Ernest fit into the book?"
I think this book is suitable for a younger age group who will enjoy the illustraions and simple sho...more
Mari
I must have been in a grumpy mood the first time I read this book. At the time, it didn't appeal to me, maybe because I was tired of fold out pages and how quickly they get ripped when part of a library collection.

Upon re-reading, I find that I very much like this title. The language is fantastic and the illustrations are charming. I'm looking forward to sharing it with my storytime families.
Erica
Audience: Primary
Genre: Fantasy

Ernest the lovable moose has a BIG problem! He is too tall and too wide to fit into his own book! Luckily he has a chipmunk friend who is there to help. If you like books about perseverance, friendship, and a lot of heart you will love this book! Will Ernest find a way to fit into his book? Find out for yourself in this fun and unforgettable story.
Emer Mattimoe
Ernest is a Moose who cannot fit into a book. He tries repeatedly but cannot fit because he is too big. His friend, a small mouse comes up with an idea to help Ernest solve his problem. They both make a big book together, that folds out into a large poster. There is nice use of illustrations and is easy to follow with simple vocabulary and pictures.
Maureen
Ernest, the moose who doesn’t fit.
Catherine Rayner

This refreshing children’s book by Catherine Rayner is unlike any other book I have read and I find the concept of Ernest’s struggle to fit in the book of great interest. I feel it is an unusual approach to a children’s story, but welcome the modern thinking behind it.

Rayners choice of language is simple yet effective, and the physical aspect of the language is appealing too, with certain words enlarged, making them stand out. Such words, like, ‘...more
Dolly
Apr 24, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, humor
This is a humorous tale about a big moose and his attempts to fit inside the pages of a book. The narrative is short and entertaining and the illustrations are terrific, especially the fold out pages at the end. This is a wonderful book for younger children. Adorable.
The Library Lady
Terrific story. and the gatefold spread that finishes this book is a perfect ending. But it also means that either I need to add this book to my storytime collection or resign myself to its dying the minute some nanny lets little Jacob or Isabella look at it on their own!
Julia Wickenden
Ernest is a very large moose. He has a very large problem - he won't fit in his book. He tries really hard but to no avail. Suddenly his friend (who is very small) has an idea...They start cutting and sticking pieces of paper together. At the end it is revealed that they were making the final page of the book bigger, with the result that Ernest can fit in his book!

This is an excellent book. The language is entertaining (and arguably made-up at times!) It is descriptive and engaging. The illustr...more
Elisabeth
Love it. I'm going to have to remember to plan a big/little story time just to read this book! Would pair nicely with Mo Willem's pop-out book "Big Frog Can't Fit In"
Susan P
Sep 30, 2011 Susan P added it
Shelves: picture-books
Would be super fun for a "too big" storytime along with "I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean"!
Leanne Lynch
Ernest, the moose who doesn’t fit.
Catherine Rayner

‘Ernest is a rather large moose with a rather large problem. He is so big he can’t fit inside his book! Luckily Ernest is also a very determined moose, and he and his little chipmunk friend aren’t going to give up easily. Will they find a way for Ernest to fit in? Featuring a surprise fold-out ending, children will love this stunning book from the award-winning Catherine Rayner.’ (Amazon)

This refreshing children’s book by Catherine Rayner is unli...more
Conorfinnerty
Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit- Catherine Rayner

Firstly I really enjoyed this book mainly due to its quirky humour and feel good ending.
Ernest the moose is rather large, so large he struggles to fit in his own book, with his “middle” fitting in his head cannot etc. His friend the chipmunk tries his utmost to direct Ernest to get into the book, but to no avail. The chipmunk even tries to physically move Ernest but again to no avail. Earnest is very disappointed he still cant fit into the book...more
Darren Shoneye
"Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit" is a perfect book for Early Years Foundation children. Visually this is a very captivating book and one that can be utilised for various different learning outcomes i.e. there are many ways that you could use this in a classroom setting such as getting the children to think of their OWN ending to the story or getting the children to CHANGE the ending of the story. This book could also be very good for KS1; with year 1 keep it simple. You could even go for the...more
Maria
Ernest by Catherine Rayner is a simple yet extremely enjoyable book. It is a book which is made so fantastic by its extraordinary illustrations and short but sweet underlying messages.
It is a light-hearted book that will keep children amused and they will love the surprise for them at the end. The last page is fold out; Earnest and the Chipmunk alter the book to fit Ernest in rather than Ernest having to change himself at all. The text is excellent to read aloud and to hold up and show children...more
Melanie
Ernest the Moose, like most moose, is very large; too large to fit into a normal size picture book. He tries several different ways to fit but nothing works and he's very sad. Finally his friend Chipmunk has a great idea and runs off to grab some tape. Ernest gathers bits of paper. Together they find a way for Ernest to fit inside the book.

A wonderfully funny tale of determination.
Anouschka Fernander
Ernest is a really large moose who couldn't fit inside the book and he is determined to fit inside it. He seeks the help of his little friend who tries to help him but fails. His little friend then has a BIG IDEA and they stick bits of paper together so that on the last page the moose can fit in the book. This book was about determination, never giving up, and how with the help of friends you can succeed.

I thought that the book is a good illustration of how problems can be solved if we ask othe...more
Katie Lennon
This is a fantastic book for younger children in Early Years.

Ernest is a moose who is so big he can't even fit in the book! Each set of pages shows you some of Ernest but as hard as he tries there is just no way he is going to be able to fit his entire body into the book...until...with the help of his small friend and some sellotape they come up with an ingenious way to fit Ernest into the book. You will have to read it for yourself to find out how they do this - it's very clever.

This book is a...more
Chloe
This book is fabulous and I recommend it to everyone. It is a very clever book that is so simple but effective.

The story is about Ernest, a very big moose who does not fit into the book. He spends his time trying to fit into it. He tries to shimmy, shuffle and shunt into the story. He also tries to squeeze in backwards but nothing works. His little friend get some sticky tape and they work together. At the end of the story is a fold out a page where Ernest can fit into the book.

Like I said abov...more
Claire Hart
Ernest is a book about a moose that just does not fit in... literally! Throughout the book Ernest tries to get into the book but can only manage to get his head or his backside in for example. However, Ernest's mouse friend has a very clever plan involving scraps of paper and sticky tape to help his friend fit in.

I really enjoyed this book as it carried an important message about people feeling like they do not fit in and the kindness of others in trying to help them fit in.

I think that this boo...more
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Big, Bigger, Biggest!
  • New Socks
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • More Bears!
  • Jump!
  • Waiting for Winter
Award winning author and illustrator Catherine Rayner studied Illustration at Edinburgh College of art. She fell in love with the city and still lives there with her husband, young son and a handful of creatures: Shannon the horse, Ena the grey cat and a goldfish called Richard.

She finds huge inspiration in her pets and often uses them as models, frequently asking Ena to pose so that she can study...more
More about Catherine Rayner...
The Bear Who Shared Solomon Crocodile Augustus And His Smile Harris Finds His Feet Abigail