Start by marking “Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit” as Want to Read:
Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit

Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,715 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
Ernest is a rather large moose with a rather large problem. He is so big he can't fit inside his book! Luckily, Ernest is also a very determined moose, and he and his little chipmunk friend aren't going to give up easily. With some tape, odd bits of paper, and plenty of enthusiasm, the pair constructs an enormous gatefold page by themselves, and everything fits together in ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published September 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit

Kathryn
Sep 09, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
So cute! Earnest is an adorable moose, but he's also very big, and he doesn't fit in the book! He is also a determined moose, and doesn't give up. But, try as he might, the book is just too small. Fortunately, his little chipmunk friend has a very big idea... The ending is a treat that I'm sure children will enjoy. Adorable illustrations and some fun read-aloud words make this a winner.
Lisa Vegan
Sep 21, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young children, reading aloud
This is a delightful book. Ernest is so, so cute. This is a great story for teaching kids to “think outside the box” and mostly it’s just fun. It’s a perfect read aloud book; there is a fold out page at the end, and this is not a board book (at least my edition isn’t) so very young children should be supervised while this book is being read. Beginning readers will probably enjoy this book too. Great for animal lovers and book lovers both. I took one look at Earnest and fell in love. For me, the ...more
Beth - I SNIFF BOOKS
LOVED this book! Such a fun “meta fiction” concept that literally translates really well into book form! There is no deep message to be found within the pages, but children’s books can just be plain FUN sometimes and Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn’t Fit most definitely is! Each page made me smile and the ending was a bit of a surprise! I adored the text style and art. And lots of fun words inside for children to learn like shimmy, shift, and shuffle.

And you know, as I read this book YET AGAIN (I lo
Maeve Harrison
Jan 21, 2013 Maeve Harrison rated it liked it
“Ernest, the moose who doesn't fit” by Catherine Rayner is a nice book for early years children. Ernest is a large moose who cannot fit into the book so as we read the book we can only see parts of him. His small chipmunk friend is trying desperately to get him to fit into the book but to no avail. Just when they are about to give up, his little friend comes up with a great idea to fit him in the book which is to stick some pages together so we can finally see Ernest in all his glory. On the las ...more
Mari
Sep 06, 2013 Mari rated it really liked it
I must have been in a grumpy mood the first time I read this book. At the time, it didn't appeal to me, maybe because I was tired of fold out pages and how quickly they get ripped when part of a library collection.

Upon re-reading, I find that I very much like this title. The language is fantastic and the illustrations are charming. I'm looking forward to sharing it with my storytime families.
Adele Last
This is a story about a very large Moose called Ernest. This moose has a mouse for a best friend and together they try to come up with a solution to solve Ernest’s problem of not fitting into his book. After trying a number of solutions, the mouse disappears and makes a surprise for Ernest. The last page of the book folds out into four pages and the Moose is standing tall in his page. He thanks his friend and smiles.
I like this story as it teaches children about the idea of feeling like you don
Tasha
Oct 22, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ernest has a problem, he doesn’t fit into the book! He tries to shuffle in forward, but that doesn’t work. He tries to squeeze in backward. Nope. He can get his middle to fit, but not his legs or head. Luckily, Ernest has a small friend with a big idea. It’s just going to take some tape and some paper. They work for a long time until… Well, you will just have to read it to find out how they manage to fit Ernest into his book. Children will respond to the visual puzzle of how to get Ernest to fit ...more
Nisha Patel
Jan 21, 2013 Nisha Patel rated it really liked it

Ernest is a large moose with a very big problem, he can not fit on the page! However with the help of his friend and determination he tries all sorts of ways to be able to fit into the book. Until at the end where his friend the chipmunk helps him realise that he did not have to change anything about himself to be able to fit in, the book adapted itself to fit Ernest. So the last page folds out into a bigger page and Ernest finally fits!

This is a wonderful and funny story to be read in KS1 with
Ashley Chance
Jan 21, 2013 Ashley Chance rated it liked it
‘Ernest’ is a book about an enormous moose who finds it hard to fit in-quite literally! He finds it so hard to even fit on to the pages of the book. Yet with a little determination and help from his marsupial friend they work closely together to find an alternative way of accommodating Moose.
The books only downfall is that it ends so soon. I really liked the illustrations which brought the challenging plan of trying to help Ernest fit in, right into the readers lap through an open flap book sty
Hollie Westmore
Catherine Rayner- Ernest.

This is a lovely story about two friends that could not be more different! The story is based on a small chipmunk and a very large moose! The moose is so large that he does not fit any where regardless of his best efforts. I love the words chosen in the text such as shimmy, shuffle, and shunt! This story may be useful to read to children whilst they are learning the phonemes ‘sh’.
I believe the story would be suitable to young children due to the large font, short text
Chloe Avery
Jan 18, 2012 Chloe Avery rated it it was amazing
Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit by Catherine Rayner.

This is a story about a moose named Ernest, who has a problem, he is very large and cannot find a way to fit into the book. Throughout the story the illustrations show different parts of Ernest’s body and different ways he tries to fit on to the page. However Ernest does not give up and with the help of his little friend a chipmunk they come up with a plan. The last page of this book is a fold out and shows how Earnest and his friend have fo
Jenna
Nov 16, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
A very brief book but the kids loved it when Ernest managed to fit in the book! Not really a spoiler. I almost wish it had been a bit longer, and maybe that his friend the little helpful chipmunk had been introduced.

One difficulty was I kept calling the moose Ernst and Ernest, which might've been confusing for the kids...
Laura O Driscoll
Dec 07, 2011 Laura O Driscoll rated it really liked it
Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit, is a wonderfully illustrated book by Catherine Rayner. Literally, this normal sized picture book is about a Moose who is entirely too big to fit into it. Throughout the book, Ernest tries to squish, squash and shimmy into the pages, but to no avail. His unusual solution is to "tape" together spare scraps of "paper" to create a large gatefold page at the end, where Ernest triumphiantly squeezes his whole body in. Children will love this surprise pop-out page at ...more
Madeline Whitmarsh
Jan 29, 2016 Madeline Whitmarsh rated it really liked it
A really cute story about a really big animal...with a fun gimmick at the end, to boot!
paula
Oct 24, 2010 paula rated it it was amazing
I have always suspected that Mo Willems's Big Frog Can't Fit In, with its giant spindly foldy parts, was a parable of reasonable accommodation (as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, in part, "making existing facilities used by employees readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities").

I am pretty exactly sure that Ernest? and his little squirrel-ish buddy, who collect paper and tape it together to make a big enough book for the moose to stand up straight and lo
William O
Oct 27, 2011 William O rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this picture book by Catherine Rayner. Ernest is too big to fit into the book even with the help of his little chipmunk friend he cannot fit. However there is a charming solution to the problem!!! The story gives the idea that there is a place for everyone and the importance of working together. It also captivates the child into the thinking of "How will Ernest fit into the book?"
I think this book is suitable for a younger age group who will enjoy the illustraions and simple sho
Emily
Feb 20, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Ernest is a very large Moose. In fact, Ernest is so large that he doesn't fit in the book! This simple short story tells the tale of how Ernest and his friend Mouse persevere to overcome the barrier of not fitting in. This books is wonderful for younger children (EYFS/KS1) due to the fun words such as shimmy, shift and shuffle. The beautiful typography and illustrations make this book even more endearing. Children will love the ending where the book opens out into a large 4 page double spread to ...more
Ray
Sep 09, 2014 Ray rated it it was amazing
"Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit" is a wonderfully illustrated book about friendship, perseverance and being different. This book, in its simplicity, deals with all of the aforementioned subject matters. Anyone willing to cover these areas with a young audience of year 1 and 2, will find this book a joy. The print is large. I can read it upside down (not a prerequisite, I know, but think of reading to a whole class). The illustrations are clear, so that you can ask your children, what they see ...more
Erica
Jul 05, 2013 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Audience: Primary
Genre: Fantasy

Ernest the lovable moose has a BIG problem! He is too tall and too wide to fit into his own book! Luckily he has a chipmunk friend who is there to help. If you like books about perseverance, friendship, and a lot of heart you will love this book! Will Ernest find a way to fit into his book? Find out for yourself in this fun and unforgettable story.
Emer Mattimoe
Oct 20, 2011 Emer Mattimoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ernest is a Moose who cannot fit into a book. He tries repeatedly but cannot fit because he is too big. His friend, a small mouse comes up with an idea to help Ernest solve his problem. They both make a big book together, that folds out into a large poster. There is nice use of illustrations and is easy to follow with simple vocabulary and pictures.
Maureen
Jan 17, 2014 Maureen rated it really liked it
Ernest, the moose who doesn’t fit.
Catherine Rayner

This refreshing children’s book by Catherine Rayner is unlike any other book I have read and I find the concept of Ernest’s struggle to fit in the book of great interest. I feel it is an unusual approach to a children’s story, but welcome the modern thinking behind it.

Rayners choice of language is simple yet effective, and the physical aspect of the language is appealing too, with certain words enlarged, making them stand out. Such words, like, ‘
Dolly
Apr 24, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2013
This is a humorous tale about a big moose and his attempts to fit inside the pages of a book. The narrative is short and entertaining and the illustrations are terrific, especially the fold out pages at the end. This is a wonderful book for younger children. Adorable.
The Library Lady
Jun 21, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Terrific story. and the gatefold spread that finishes this book is a perfect ending. But it also means that either I need to add this book to my storytime collection or resign myself to its dying the minute some nanny lets little Jacob or Isabella look at it on their own!
Julia Wickenden
Jan 07, 2014 Julia Wickenden rated it it was amazing
Ernest is a very large moose. He has a very large problem - he won't fit in his book. He tries really hard but to no avail. Suddenly his friend (who is very small) has an idea...They start cutting and sticking pieces of paper together. At the end it is revealed that they were making the final page of the book bigger, with the result that Ernest can fit in his book!

This is an excellent book. The language is entertaining (and arguably made-up at times!) It is descriptive and engaging. The illustr
Elisabeth
Mar 30, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Love it. I'm going to have to remember to plan a big/little story time just to read this book! Would pair nicely with Mo Willem's pop-out book "Big Frog Can't Fit In"
Matthew
Apr 12, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing
I really loved the idea of this book. Ernest just wants to fit in the pages of the book, but he is just too big! The end is super cute. This one is a keeper.
Karin
Plot summary and personal response:
Ernest is a large moose... he "is also a very determined moose" and he is going to need that determination. Why? Because what Ernest wants is to fit inside this picture book and that is exactly what he can not do. Or can he?

Literary Merit:
This book would be a valuable addition to any pre-K through first-grade classroom. The author utilizes whimsy, humor, alliteration, and interesting extreme close-up illustrative style. Children will be engaged with the proble
Susan P
Sep 30, 2011 Susan P added it
Shelves: picture-books
Would be super fun for a "too big" storytime along with "I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean"!
Jenny
Apr 06, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
My students and my children all got a kick out of this book. My 6 year old immediately asked me to read it again...and my 10 and nearly 12 year olds appreciated it also. At school, it was our Principal's Book of the Month for February highlighting the value of persistence and determination. Poor Ernest is a large moose who wants to fit in the book...but no matter how hard he "tries to squidge, squodge, and squeeze", he can't fit. Until his little friend gets a BIG idea. Great example of metafict ...more
Amy Forrester
Jun 01, 2015 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
“Ernest was a rather large moose.” So large that no matter what he does he can’t fit inside this book! He shimmies and squeezes, squidges and shuffles, but to no avail. What’s a moose to do? The mixed media illustrations in this short, but humorous book feature eager Ernest and his silent, but helpful chipmunk friend. Add this book to a size themed storytime and enjoy the oohs and ahhs when the final page unfolds...and unfolds...and unfolds!

Full review at http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2..
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Hugless Douglas
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Jump!
  • Grumpy Bird
  • Moo!
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Brontorina
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Big, Bigger, Biggest!
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • Big Smelly Bear
Award winning author and illustrator Catherine Rayner studied Illustration at Edinburgh College of art. She fell in love with the city and still lives there with her husband, young son and a handful of creatures: Shannon the horse, Ena the grey cat and a goldfish called Richard.

She finds huge inspiration in her pets and often uses them as models, frequently asking Ena to pose so that she can study
More about Catherine Rayner...