First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1 & 2

First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1 & 2

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  29 reviews
First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind uses picture study and other classical techniques to develop the child's language study in those first two all-important years of school. Each lesson leads the parent, step-by-step, through the simple oral and written projects that build reading, writing, spelling, storytelling, and comprehension skills. Use this book to sup...more
Published December 17th 2002 by Peace Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind

Noelle
This was the book my mother taught me language on, and it was my favorite subject when I was little. Yes, it was school, so I couldn't care less, but I still remember some of the poems and stories Mrs. wise used, and that was 6 years ago! I highly reccomend it to any homeschooler mom!!
Aja
We are using this book for our language studies. This book was written by the same co-author of Well Trained Mind and goes in sync with the Well Trained Mind formatted course of study. This book contains 200 lessons for 1st and 2nd grade language work. It is so simple and easy to use, you need no additional materials, just open and discuss the lesson for the day. The reason I give it only 4 stars is because it is almost too simple. Sometimes I double up on lessons just to give a little more pota...more
Tori
This book has been perfect for my daughter. The repetition is really important- she's actually learning the stuff. Great book.
Tracie
The writing of this review means that we have completed 2nd grade--wahoo! This is an excellent text for learning grammar, punctuation, memorization of poetry, parts of speech, etc. I do confess to deleting some activities that were just unnecessary or honestly, time-wasters (e.g., look at this picture and tell me what is happening!). Nate is such a veracious reader that his narrative and descriptive skills are well-refined!

I highly recommend this book for 1st/2nd grade grammar/phonics--and, of c...more
Michele
I used this 2-year program with my first daughter, and I am now beginning the second year with my second daughter. It really is a painless method. The second year is much more interesting to teach than the first. It is a blend, of narration, picture talks, poetry memorization, grammar terms memorization, and some copywork. There is only a small amount of writing which seems appropriate for this age. There is also a cd that contains the short stories, poetry, and grammar chants.
Joanne Styger
Though we aren't quite done with the 1st grade portion of this 2 year book, I'm giving it 5 stars. The lessons are short, engaging, and excellent for building English language skills. I'm using it with my second daughter who does not like a lot of reading or writing. Traditional workbooks are stressful for her. She really enjoys this book and has acquired the language skills through dialogue and repetition. Highly recommend for supplement language curriculum!
Laura Rogers
This is a two year language program for first and second graders. I used it with my daughter in a relaxed way (meaning that we used it weekly - not daily, we have a loose homeschooling schedule). I loved the easy way the lessons were layed out. It is an easy introduction to grammar, narration, etc. My daughter still remembers the poems she memorized, the definitions of terms, and lists of words. I recommend this to anyone as an excellent start in Language Arts.
Tessa D'souza
This is the worst book of all time! There are about a hundred and five chapters that state "A noun is a person, place, or thing.", don't waste your child's time. Try "Emma Serl's Primary Language Lessons" instead, it is much better, but, like all school work, is a little tedious (the copy work and memorization may be hard for little ones).
Marisa
My daughter thinks it is a little redundant, but the repetition is helpful to store information in long term memory. I like how she is expected to memorize poems. I like how the lessons are related to people and places and things with which my daughter has a close relationship. It makes it a little more individualized. The lessons are short and sometimes we do two at a time. I'll definitely stick with this one and go on to volume two.
Jill
Great start in grammar for young children. My four year old chants the definition of a preposition around the house, and my 1st grader knows all the poems to be memorized because she heard such a thorough review of them when her older sister was going through the book which makes teaching the younger ones all the easier!
Becomingsix
This has been one of our favorite school books. Short, easy lessons that the children really enjoy. They have learned poems, the days of the week, the months of the year, what a noun is, proper nouns, verbs, pronouns, narrations and handwriting. We will certainly be continuing on with volume two this coming year.
Candi
From a Graphic Designer's perspective... I hate this book. It's so hard for me to read what's on each page, because it's not laid out in a way that is inviting. However, it does have good information in there, if I can get past how ugly it is on each page. :) I'm keeping it. Just making it available to borrow.
Heidi
We've used this for the older two kids' grammar lessons for years K and 1, though it says its 1st & 2nd grade level. It's simple, straight forward and reassured me that we had the basics (and more) covered. It does not cover reading lessons, that needs to be a different book. But a staple for our language lessons.
Cindy M
While not the most thrilling curriculum on the planet, it really did work very well for us. My son still remembers the definitions and lists of words, which has helped him a lot in higher-level grammar work. We'll use it again for our other kids!
Delyna
Mar 22, 2008 Delyna added it
Recommends it for: Homeschooling Parents
Daily Grammar lessons for children. Purchase the accompanying CD. Good to begin during Kindergarten (they are more willing do the repetitions). Songs to memorize prepositions, helping verbs and other useful grammar definitions.
Allison
I am doing this off and on with my 7 year old. It takes 5 minutes a day, and yet he has managed to memorize 3 poems and a list of pronouns, along with the difference between common and proper nouns, among other things. It's very gentle.
Andie
Easy to use, fun for the kids. Easy and straightforward lessons really help little ones learn the beginnings of language arts. I think it would be easy to turn into class room use as well.
Andrea
Great introduction to grammar for 1st and 2nd graders. I love how most of the lessons can be done orally. This was especially helpful with my son who struggled with handwriting at that age.
Christina
My children loved this book. I enjoyed the simple assignments and enjoyable reading. Each chapter built upon the previous and gave ample review for retaining all the information necessary
Corie
I would give this five stars if it did not bore us all to tears. My children have learned a lot, but we will be looking elsewhere once we finish the second half.
Deva
The kids love working with the book everyday, I like that it grammar based but not totally in your face. They love the sing song memory work.
Kelly
This is a great grammar book. My kids know the definition of a noun, etc. We are still working through it, but I am very happy with this curriculum.
Maryann
My review may change once I start using it for my home-school curriculum, but I like what I see! I'll be using it next year.
Andrea
A book for teaching grammar verbally. Very basic but thorough. For grades 1-2 meaning it has two years worth of lessons.
Katrina
This was a great introduction into English Grammar. Elizabeth learned alot as we went through this.
Terina
It moved a little slow for child #1 (1st grade). Maybe it will work better for the younger one.
Heather
The concepts are there but the repition is a bit much.
Michelle
Good overview. A bit repetitive.
Cassie
Jun 13, 2012 Cassie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: home educators
This is a 2 year grammer program for the First and Second year of education. The age range is roughly from 1st and 2nd grade. It is a grammer book written to go with the Well Trained Mind philosophy of NeoClassical Education. It is a must have. We didn't use the work book and found the book a complete program. It was definately worth the cost.
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History
  • A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • What Your First Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good First-Grade Education
  • For the Children's Sake
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book Of Homeschooling
  • A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion
The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 3 Instructor Guide First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1 First Language Lessons For The Well Trained Mind: Level 2 (First Language Lessons) First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 4 Student Workbook